South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Scotusnerd

Silver

Re: South Carolina c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Scotusnerd » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 pm

DRDGMU wrote: I definitely agree, ASD looks pretty generic. Aside from the financial aid information and maybe meeting some of my potential classmates, I could take or leave the rest of the day.

What were you guys expecting, a lap dance? 8) I think it's going to be a nice experience. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Duramax80

Bronze

Post by Duramax80 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:01 pm

It was pretty generic. The mock class was fun and the case was emotionally charged, yet straightforward enough to follow without doing much prep. What sessions did everyone go to? I went to family law first and then litigation.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:48 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food they catered. I went to both the Legal Writing and Business courses. I wanted to learn a bit more about business, and figured that Legal Writing would be important, no matter where I ended up. I've already watched a few trials at the state level.

I got a lot out of that case with a bit of prep the night before. The logic in the 3rd page had me confused until I sat down and figured it out. Good stuff. I felt that the gem of the day was the financial aid adviser though. She had some really good information.

I was kind of shocked by the number of people who attended with their parents though...I guess maybe I'm a nontraditional student (been out and working for a year). :?

taoist

New

Post by taoist » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:35 am

Scotusnerd wrote:... I felt that the gem of the day was the financial aid adviser though. She had some really good information...
Anything you can share for the benefit of those of us who unfortunately couldn't be there? My one major disappointment in being unable to attend was that I would be missing the financial aid session.

KEM2012

New

Post by KEM2012 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:32 pm

taoist wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:... I felt that the gem of the day was the financial aid adviser though. She had some really good information...
Anything you can share for the benefit of those of us who unfortunately couldn't be there? My one major disappointment in being unable to attend was that I would be missing the financial aid session.

Yes, please share!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm looking over my notes for it, and there was a fair bit. She talked about the loan limits for Direct Stafford, Law school stafford, the APR (6.8%), and the fact that it didn't need a credit test. They cannot use your parents financial information to decide on whether or not you need loans, stuff like that. She discussed the new student loan adjustible repayment program thinger where they can only take out 10% of your income.

For GradPLUS, the APR is 7.9%, and you are eligible for the student loan repayment program. It does require a credit check. She also gave us two websites to look for scholarships.
http://www.fastweb.com and http://www.finaid.org

She also gave us some tools:
http://www.studentaid.ed.gov general information
http://www.ibrinfo.org/calculator.php for information on college cost reduction and access act
http://www.equaljusticeworks.org for public service loan forgiveness.

Hope this helps.

KEM2012

New

Post by KEM2012 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I'm looking over my notes for it, and there was a fair bit. She talked about the loan limits for Direct Stafford, Law school stafford, the APR (6.8%), and the fact that it didn't need a credit test. They cannot use your parents financial information to decide on whether or not you need loans, stuff like that. She discussed the new student loan adjustible repayment program thinger where they can only take out 10% of your income.

For GradPLUS, the APR is 7.9%, and you are eligible for the student loan repayment program. It does require a credit check. She also gave us two websites to look for scholarships.

http://www.ibrinfo.org/calculator.php for information on college cost reduction and access act

Hope this helps.
I plan on using the GradPLUS for the majority of my tuition/fees. Did the financial aid person that spoke say anything about when to apply? I'm on the website now and I'm not seeing anything. Should I wait until I commit and when is the last day to apply?

If anyone knows the answers to this or can direct me to definite dates, please do!

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:21 pm

KEM2012 wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:I'm looking over my notes for it, and there was a fair bit. She talked about the loan limits for Direct Stafford, Law school stafford, the APR (6.8%), and the fact that it didn't need a credit test. They cannot use your parents financial information to decide on whether or not you need loans, stuff like that. She discussed the new student loan adjustible repayment program thinger where they can only take out 10% of your income.

Hope this helps.
I plan on using the GradPLUS for the majority of my tuition/fees. Did the financial aid person that spoke say anything about when to apply? I'm on the website now and I'm not seeing anything. Should I wait until I commit and when is the last day to apply?

If anyone knows the answers to this or can direct me to definite dates, please do!
Try calling the USC fin aid office. Spoke to them earlier today about deadlines and I believe you apply/submit MPN after you are awarded your fin aid package by the school. I believe USC is hoping to do this on April 2nd.

Edit: Your FAFSA should be in by April 1, in order to receive the best package. That is most important deadline at the moment.

cpinker3

New

Post by cpinker3 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Wait list :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wightjm

New

Post by wightjm » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:33 pm

cpinker3 wrote:Wait list :(
Via email or status check? and are you guys going UR first? Ive been complete: Ready for Review for over 2 months

cpinker3

New

Post by cpinker3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 am

wightjm wrote:
cpinker3 wrote:Wait list :(
Via email or status check? and are you guys going UR first? Ive been complete: Ready for Review for over 2 months
Snail Mail. I was complete for 2 months then went straight to decision mailed. Kinda bummed considering I was wait listed here as several T2's have offered me scholarships. :(

KEM2012

New

Post by KEM2012 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:37 am

BearsGrl wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?
This seems standard. Not everyone is going to initially be offered scholarship money, depending on the school. If people deny their admission to USC, then I'm sure their money gets put back into the pot and he has an opportunity of receiving these monies. I wouldn't count it as a personal blow, but it looks like they've thought other candidates were "more deserving" of the award money. And I don't mean that as a personal attack by any means. Maybe they gave it to out of state applicants. As these folks deny USC, more money will become available.

So did we decide if this letter was sent to everyone? Or just the people who may actually get a scholarship if/when other people turn theirs down?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 pm

KEM2012 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:Exact wording: "we are unable to offer you scholarship assistance in this initial round, so we have placed your name on a "waiting list" for scholarship funds in the event additional resources become available" Sound familiar to anyone?
This seems standard. Not everyone is going to initially be offered scholarship money, depending on the school. If people deny their admission to USC, then I'm sure their money gets put back into the pot and he has an opportunity of receiving these monies. I wouldn't count it as a personal blow, but it looks like they've thought other candidates were "more deserving" of the award money. And I don't mean that as a personal attack by any means. Maybe they gave it to out of state applicants. As these folks deny USC, more money will become available.

So did we decide if this letter was sent to everyone? Or just the people who may actually get a scholarship if/when other people turn theirs down?
Most schools will wait until people have accepted/denied their decisions before they will re-enter that money into the scholarship pool for whoever they think is the next best candidate. That's my general understanding and I think this is a general policy for all law schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wightjm

New

Post by wightjm » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 pm

went to Decision Mailed today.

157 3.5 NC resident. Hoping for good news. Just got back from Kentucky and it wasn't that appealing for me.

kmc1887

New

Post by kmc1887 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Mine said my letter got sent as well today. I was curious, I received an email from USC Feb. 22 and they waived my application fee. I am from Florida and was wondering if there was any chance that I would still have a shot at a scholarship even though I applied so late? I did apply the day after they sent me the email though.

wightjm

New

Post by wightjm » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm

kmc1887 wrote:Mine said my letter got sent as well today. I was curious, I received an email from USC Feb. 22 and they waived my application fee. I am from Florida and was wondering if there was any chance that I would still have a shot at a scholarship even though I applied so late? I did apply the day after they sent me the email though.
numbers?

kmc1887

New

Post by kmc1887 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 pm

I am having typing problems lol
Last edited by kmc1887 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kmc1887

New

Post by kmc1887 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:58 pm

wightjm wrote:
kmc1887 wrote:Mine said my letter got sent as well today. I was curious, I received an email from USC Feb. 22 and they waived my application fee. I am from Florida and was wondering if there was any chance that I would still have a shot at a scholarship even though I applied so late? I did apply the day after they sent me the email though.
numbers?
161 3.7, don't expect much but was just curious since they sent me a "recruitment" email.

icecold3000

Bronze

Post by icecold3000 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:41 am

kmc1887 wrote:
wightjm wrote:
numbers?
161 3.7, don't expect much but was just curious since they sent me a "recruitment" email.

I bet you get the in-state equalizer for $18,800.

kmc1887

New

Post by kmc1887 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:56 am

icecold3000 wrote:
kmc1887 wrote:
wightjm wrote:
numbers?

I bet you get the in-state equalizer for $18,800.
Thanks,

That works for me, I was just curious because I really never considered USC until they sent me the letter. Now I am thinking that I might decide to go there instead of staying in Florida.

wightjm

New

Post by wightjm » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Waitlisted. 157/3.5 OOS. Im a NC resident and would really like to live in the Carolinas. I am going to ride this one out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CJHILMAN

New

Post by CJHILMAN » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:12 pm

So, I am 99% sure that I will attend USC this fall. I recently visited Columbia and like most cities, it has its nice and bad areas. I have no idea where to look for apartments or potential roommates. Any one familiar with the area or know of any decently priced apartment complexes in nicer areas. It doesn't have to be extremely close to the University, but any information would be great! Hope to meet some of you this fall :D

Dani2920

New

Post by Dani2920 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 pm

CJHILMAN wrote:So, I am 99% sure that I will attend USC this fall. I recently visited Columbia and like most cities, it has its nice and bad areas. I have no idea where to look for apartments or potential roommates. Any one familiar with the area or know of any decently priced apartment complexes in nicer areas. It doesn't have to be extremely close to the University, but any information would be great! Hope to meet some of you this fall :D
I have lived in Columbia much of my life and never go the large apartment complex route. I find that they are mostly geared toward undergrads and I have never been impressed with them (except for a few pricey complexes further from campus), just personal preference. I have found a few rental companies that rent townhomes and apartments for decent prices. Many of these rentals are close to campus but still on quiet, residential streets. Check out Cantey Company (cantey.com) or Hubbard Bowers (hubbardbowers.com), you might find something there...also check out craigslist. The Rosewood area is decent and close to campus (but gets a bit sketchy the closer you get to Shop Rd, Shandon is definitely the nicer neighborhood downtown but can be more expensive. Main St, Earlewood neighborhoods vary from street to street but definitely have rough spots. Hope this helps.

alangsto

New

Post by alangsto » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Late to the game but I toured the school last week. I didn't have a chance to go to the ASD but I was impressed on my tour. My question is I'm out of state (from east TN) so I would like the option of relocating if I happen to not like the state. Does anyone have any information on where graduates go who don't stay in SC go usually. Also, when you say USC is insular do you mean its difficult to come into the state from a different law school or its difficult to leave the state from USC? Thanks ahead of time I really was impressed with the everything about the school but I'm very unfamiliar with SC the state.

CJHILMAN

New

Post by CJHILMAN » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Does anyone know of a facebook group for admitted students who plan to attend USC in the fall? I'm trying to find a roommate for next year to try and save some money. I really don't want to take a lot out in loans. If there isn't a group, I will definitely look into creating one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”