UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jck4487

Bronze

Re: UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by jck4487 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
jck4487 wrote:
Nah, you have to fill out a form an say your "domestic partners." Since the gays can't get married, they allow them to become domestic partners and live together. And if same-sex unmarried couples can live together, then opposite-sex unmarried couples have to be able to do it as well.

People live together with their opposite-sex boyfriends/girlfriends/partners all the time. Was it someone at the law school that told you that?
This is so inaccurate I don't know where to begin. Domestic partners aren't "domestic partners." In fact, you have fill out a form and notarize it which gives you equal rights and liability in the state of California- resolutions also work the same as divorces. Furthermore, you are subject not only to California Tax Law, but also to the new (and stupid) federal law that REQUIRES you to fill out a taxes a certain way but still as single.

Also, for opposite-sex partners, you could get a legal domestic partnership but only if you are over 65.

PLEASE DO NOT PUT LEGAL DOMESTIC PARTNERS ON THE SAME CONTEXT OF BOYFRIENDS AND GIRLFRIENDS. IT IS NOT THE SAME THING.

As someone who is planning to go to or in law school, you should know better.
Oh snap, I guess I should have pointed out that I'm gay. And I quite look forward to filling out my Domestic Partnership Declaration in June when I get married.

In the last post I put domestic partners in quotes because I was not referring to the state's domestic partnership registry but instead the University of California Irvine's specialized process for being recognized as domestic partners by the university. Boyfriends/girlfriends do this frequently, and the process exists for people who are just dating and want to live together but haven't reached the level of commitment and interdependence that the state's domestic partnership would give. I believe they even make married opposite-sex couples fill out this form, though I'm not positive. You have to get this form notarized as well, but it has no legal significance outside the context of your lease and some other internal university policies.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by lawgeekgrl on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
jck4487 wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
jck4487 wrote:
Nah, you have to fill out a form an say your "domestic partners." Since the gays can't get married, they allow them to become domestic partners and live together. And if same-sex unmarried couples can live together, then opposite-sex unmarried couples have to be able to do it as well.

People live together with their opposite-sex boyfriends/girlfriends/partners all the time. Was it someone at the law school that told you that?
This is so inaccurate I don't know where to begin. Domestic partners aren't "domestic partners." In fact, you have fill out a form and notarize it which gives you equal rights and liability in the state of California- resolutions also work the same as divorces. Furthermore, you are subject not only to California Tax Law, but also to the new (and stupid) federal law that REQUIRES you to fill out a taxes a certain way but still as single.

Also, for opposite-sex partners, you could get a legal domestic partnership but only if you are over 65.

PLEASE DO NOT PUT LEGAL DOMESTIC PARTNERS ON THE SAME CONTEXT OF BOYFRIENDS AND GIRLFRIENDS. IT IS NOT THE SAME THING.

As someone who is planning to go to or in law school, you should know better.
Oh snap, I guess I should have pointed out that I'm gay. And I quite look forward to filling out my Domestic Partnership Declaration in June when I get married.

In the last post I put domestic partners in quotes because I was not referring to the state's domestic partnership registry but instead the University of California Irvine's specialized process for being recognized as domestic partners by the university. Boyfriends/girlfriends do this frequently, and the process exists for people who are just dating and want to live together but haven't reached the level of commitment and interdependence that the state's domestic partnership would give. I believe they even make married opposite-sex couples fill out this form, though I'm not positive. You have to get this form notarized as well, but it has no legal significance outside the context of your lease and some other internal university policies.
Thank you. Since you're from out of state, it makes sense that an accommodation was made for you. Housing, especially for UC schools, works a little bit more different for most students than it worked for you. Either way, whoever is curious should simply contact housing as all policies not always apply. I had to contact them about a special case with a vehicle, and of course, there was no procedure in the books for it.

Congrats to you and your fiance.
Nope, nothing to do with being from out of state. As I said above, anyone can become domestic partners with their boyfriend/girlfriend (according to the university). No accommodation was made. They will do it for opposite-sex couples as well. Of course you should always call the housing complex though. It's always a bad idea to trust what people tell you on the internet, especially on a forum.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by lawgeekgrl on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt2

New

Post by Matt2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:54 am

yeah definitely can attest to how great UCI is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Schieff

New

Post by Schieff » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:14 am

Hey guys I'm a current 1L and I got in off the wait list sometime in May last year. I know some of my classmates also came in off the wait list. Hope that helps and best of luck to all of you still waiting!

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:10 am

Did you get any merit/need aid?

GoUBears

New

Post by GoUBears » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 am

Schieff wrote:Hey guys I'm a current 1L and I got in off the wait list sometime in May last year. I know some of my classmates also came in off the wait list. Hope that helps and best of luck to all of you still waiting!
Thanks for the encouraging words!

To folks waiting (for 1st decision or waitlist news): I spoke with admissions yesterday and they said they are still sending out initial decisions. So, their review of waitlisted applicants will likely be pushed back to later in May. The moral of that conversation was: continue to sit tight and hope for the best!

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Why did they move the deadline for income verification from 6/15 to 5/1 :-/

ETA: Nasreen rocks! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D1Swimmer

New

Post by D1Swimmer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:42 pm

So the majority of the places that I was originally looking at have people fighting over employment stats, enthusiasm surrounding the school, and applications in general. I'm so happy to be going to a place where the incoming students are so excited about the school. Go Irvine!! Zot Zot!
Hopefully this just pumps everyone up about UCI!!! :lol: :lol: :D

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:22 pm

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:24 pm

4 Months to go!!!

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:26 pm

splitbrain wrote:Why did they move the deadline for income verification from 6/15 to 5/1 :-/

Wha happened? I was fretting about this deadline too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:27 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:4 Months to go!!!
I can't wait!!!! :D

Side note, if anyone has any cheap moving ideas, feel free to PM me!

runski

New

Post by runski » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:56 am

I sent in my SIR last week. I'm so excited to be joining you guys!

I have a question for those of you who received the need based grant - would you mind sharing your ECF? I have yet to receive my package, and I wanted to get an idea of what it might look like. Thanks!

skitlets

Bronze

Post by skitlets » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:12 pm

runski wrote:I sent in my SIR last week. I'm so excited to be joining you guys!

I have a question for those of you who received the need based grant - would you mind sharing your ECF? I have yet to receive my package, and I wanted to get an idea of what it might look like. Thanks!
Need-based grant caps at $5k for the year. =(

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:04 pm

skitlets wrote:
runski wrote:I sent in my SIR last week. I'm so excited to be joining you guys!

Need-based grant caps at $5k for the year. =(
I hope that changes next year when I matriculate. Also does anyone know how much is the cap on income to get need based aid. I have a good job that pays well....but I won't have help when I go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skitlets

Bronze

Post by skitlets » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:47 am

Did anyone else notice a dearth of 1BR/studio options for Verano? I read that it was usually limited to families but I didn't see the option at all on the application.

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:59 pm

skitlets wrote:Did anyone else notice a dearth of 1BR/studio options for Verano? I read that it was usually limited to families but I didn't see the option at all on the application.
There are no studios at Verano. There are some 1 bedrooms so I am not sure why they don't show up on the application. It is possible they don't expect any vacancies. You might call them and ask about that.

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:39 am

A buddy of mine spoke to admissions on Thursday. They very likely won't be taking people off the WL this year :(

noogooyen

New

Post by noogooyen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:23 am

bingbang1025 wrote:A buddy of mine spoke to admissions on Thursday. They very likely won't be taking people off the WL this year :(

are you certain of this? because you just crushed my soul.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

melanne89

Bronze

Post by melanne89 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:51 am

noogooyen wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:A buddy of mine spoke to admissions on Thursday. They very likely won't be taking people off the WL this year :(

+1 please elaborate on that loaded statement

GoUBears

New

Post by GoUBears » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:07 am

melanne89 wrote:
noogooyen wrote:

+1 please elaborate on that loaded statement
Sadly I heard this too. I was told that they had a way higher yield than they expected of admitted students saying yes to Irivine.

(But who knows -- I mean, USC is still giving out acceptances and there may be other schools that pull already accepted students away from Irvine.)

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Revolver066 wrote:
splitbrain wrote:Why did they move the deadline for income verification from 6/15 to 5/1 :-/

You should call to confirm, but she basically said "don't worry about the deadline; just turn in the documents as soon as you are able to." They're just trying to get all the verification docs in ASAP, which is understandable, but there was simply no way I was going to be able to turn in my parents' info by the new deadline, and it was awkward when the original deadline was 6/15 :-/.
GoUBears wrote:Sadly I heard this too. I was told that they had a way higher yield than they expected of admitted students saying yes to Irivine.

(But who knows -- I mean, USC is still giving out acceptances and there may be other schools that pull already accepted students away from Irvine.)
Also I figure it's easier to say yes when there is no deposit, right? I wouldn't panic, yet. Either way, good luck to the waitlisters!

bingbang1025

Bronze

Post by bingbang1025 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

splitbrain wrote:
Revolver066 wrote:

You should call to confirm, but she basically said "don't worry about the deadline; just turn in the documents as soon as you are able to." They're just trying to get all the verification docs in ASAP, which is understandable, but there was simply no way I was going to be able to turn in my parents' info by the new deadline, and it was awkward when the original deadline was 6/15 :-/.
GoUBears wrote:Sadly I heard this too. I was told that they had a way higher yield than they expected of admitted students saying yes to Irivine.

Also I figure it's easier to say yes when there is no deposit, right? I wouldn't panic, yet. Either way, good luck to the waitlisters!
Sorry to leave everyone hanging. In short, they killed it at their ASW and the wording I heard is that it's "likely" they won't be dipping into the waitlist. Sorry guys :(

Again, with apps down who knows how things shake out. you're always going to hear a conservative answer from admissions people anyway.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”