Maryland Applicants c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Intranetusa

New

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Post by Intranetusa » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:09 am

taxnstuff wrote:Me neither
diegoforlan10 wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:Apparently the area around UMB is even more ghetto than Philly. :o
Everything in the law building seems claustrophobic...especially the admissions office.
I didn't really get that vibe when I was there, I thought the building was pretty nice.
Walk north to the Lexington Market which is 3 blocks or so away... I was there last weekend and it was some serious sketch. Really sketch...

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:11 am

ford2city wrote:So whatever my section assignment for Legal Analysis and Writing is my overall section assignment? I gotta say so far I'm not impressed with their technological capabilities; SURFS, e-mail, and Blackboard all feel sloppy.
I used Blackboard for Maryland undergrad at College Park. It was the sh1ttiest and ghetto-est online system I had ever used in my life. Even preschoolers could've designed a better front page layout for Blackboard.

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:43 am

I don't wander outside of fed hill/inner harbor/fells/canton/hopkins/loyola/towson area, ever really. Which would explain why I don't find Baltimore, or at least my idea of baltimore, to be ghetto at all. But yea if you end up going into the bad areas they are some of the worst in the country.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:48 am

ford2city wrote:So whatever my section assignment for Legal Analysis and Writing is my overall section assignment? I gotta say so far I'm not impressed with their technological capabilities; SURFS, e-mail, and Blackboard all feel sloppy.
Yes, your LA&W class determines your section assignment. You should have gotten an email from the Registrar's office regarding your section assignment.

I've used blackboard before, as well as as something similar for SURFS, so I guess I'm used to their quirkiness. I actually like that the email is through google :)

dman12

New

Post by dman12 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Intranetusa wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:Apparently the area around UMB is even more ghetto than Philly. :o
Everything in the law building seems claustrophobic...especially the admissions office.
Walk north to the Lexington Market which is 3 blocks or so away... I was there last weekend and it was some serious sketch. Really sketch...

Baltimore more ghetto than Philly tho?...Ha! I think all things being considered they are neck and neck.
I've went to church in the heart of Baltimore for 7 years (northwest of the law school). Now THAT was a doozy. The law school community and everything east and south of it (2 mile radius) is not bad at all. All the hype re: Baltimore being sketchy though partly warranted I think is a bit overstated. Don't go to Lexington Market for ANYthing, and don't go too far beyond Baltimore and Martin Luther King and you actually have a nice subset of the city which is relatively safe. But then again to each his own.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dman12

New

Post by dman12 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:59 pm

lsatextreme wrote:if any of you guys have Gifford for torts, lemme know. I have the torts casebook that's entirely tabbed and perfectly highlighted/briefed for each and every single case he does. I got it from an upperclassman for $60 and I'm willing to let it go for exactly that price, which seems like a steal from the other prices I'm looking online.

FWIW: We both got A's in the class.
Hey there I pm'ed you.

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:35 pm

dman12 wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:
Baltimore more ghetto than Philly tho?...Ha! I think all things being considered they are neck and neck.
I've went to church in the heart of Baltimore for 7 years (northwest of the law school). Now THAT was a doozy. The law school community and everything east and south of it (2 mile radius) is not bad at all. All the hype re: Baltimore being sketchy though partly warranted I think is a bit overstated. Don't go to Lexington Market for ANYthing, and don't go too far beyond Baltimore and Martin Luther King and you actually have a nice subset of the city which is relatively safe. But then again to each his own.
The sad thing is Lexington Market is the closest food/shopping area about 5 minutes walk away. :(

According to google maps, the front of the Lex market is 3 minutes walking distance and ~0.1-0.2 mile away from the law school and the back is less than 500 feet away from the law school. :shock:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Eu ... a=1,2&z=18

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+Pa ... ra=pr&z=18

It's gonna be impossible to avoid sketch.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Damn, I'm section H with literally the most spastic schedule available. Wish I had gotten G or E!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:36 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Damn, I'm section H with literally the most spastic schedule available. Wish I had gotten G or E!
I just wish I had gotten one that had Friday's off! :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ford2city

New

Post by ford2city » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

ford2city

New

Post by ford2city » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 am

sobo2012 wrote:
ama004 wrote:Have any part-time waitlisters called the office of admissions recently?

Yup, called them today. They are not releasing the waitlist (this goes for the full-time and part-time lists) at this time which tells me that they still expect slots to open up over the next week or so.

Keep the faith!
So they said they aren't releasing the waitlists? Hopefully they actually have or anticipate having some open seats! Classes start a week from today so I imagine they'll have to call people very soon if they plan on letting anyone else in. Otherwise we'd barely have any time to buy books. Plus, doesn't orientation start on Monday?

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Dealing with shadiness. Maryland money people have suddenly lost some of my money. I have given them to the end of the day to figure it out or I am not going. Why is it that schools and government organizations have no sense of the value of money to the little guy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:23 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:issues
:shock: omg what happened?!

water15

New

Post by water15 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm really not liking the neighborhood at all. I'm about a 3 min walk from the school, im really surprised the school is even located in such a shoddy area. What is wrong with Lexington Market? I'm guessing by the looks of it, it should be consistent with the rest of the area. I'm really not liking the area at all. Very very ghetto and looks very dangerous. Are there any decent places to go in downtown? Are there any malls or shopping places to go? I can't seem to find any nearby......
Last edited by water15 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:32 pm

water15 wrote:I'm really not liking the neighborhood at all. I'm about a 3 min walk from the school, im really surprised the school is even located in such a shoddy area. What is wrong with Lexington Market? I'm guessing by the looks of it, it should be consistent with the rest of the area. I'm really not liking the area at all. Very very ghetto and looks very dangerous. Are there any decent places to go in downtown? are there any people in baltimore that are well off??
:roll:

there are nice places in downtown (Mt Vernon, Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill). there are well off people in the city (see Roland Park, and the neighborhood north of Charles Village, I forget what it's called). It's Baltimore. You can go from crappy neighborhoods to neighborhoods with million dollar mansions and back again in a few blocks.

edited because you edited yours: the nearest shopping mall that I know of is Mondawmin. It is sort of sketch, but I do go to the Target there. If you have no car, you can take the subway out to the last stop in Owings Mills, there is a mall there, though it is dying (many malls are. they want to rebuild it into an outdoor mall). I usually go to Towson Mall. Mt Vernon has many shops along the streets (it's a nice walking neighborhood).

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Yea if you are a 3 minute walk you may have possibly chosen the wrong neighborhood. Hide yo kids hide yo wife.

Towson mall is tcr
Last edited by taxnstuff on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:41 pm

taxnstuff wrote:Yea if you are a 3 minute walk you may have possibly chosen the wrong neighborhood. Hide yo kids hide yo wife.
:lol:

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:17 pm

I have a $25k grant from the school and a $24k grant from the VA. I am out of state. I am being told that the two cancel out and I still owe the school the remaining balance. I called the VA and they said the school was wrong. The school insists it is right. I told them that I ran this question by them two months ago when they lured me from another school with the grant and said it was paid for. Now, they are singing a different tune.

If they don't fix this (and according to the VA they should) I have lost all respect for the school and I am outta here. I feel like they are trying to get me to renounce my grant. I am not happy!

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Will be withdrawing. Thanks UMD Law for sucking at life. Next time, just ask me to mail you a $4000 check that covers my expenses over the past one month of preparation and moving.

Seriously...

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:24 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Will be withdrawing. Thanks UMD Law for sucking at life. Next time, just ask me to mail you a $4000 check that covers my expenses over the past one month of preparation and moving.

Seriously...
Dude, I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't believe how inept the office of financial aid seems. Did you try talking to someone at admissions? Maybe they can better understand your situation and advocate for you. I had an issue with the financial aid office that admissions (says) they're taking care of for me. Given how much you've put into this I think it's worth a shot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ford2city

New

Post by ford2city » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:51 pm

ford2city wrote: I'll tell you right now though some of the best parties in the city take place near "sketchy/ghetto" areas.

e.g http://www.facebook.com/events/368618616538205/ and http://www.facebook.com/events/330263217053822/
I doubt law students have time to party like in undergrad...

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:16 pm

They do. Until finals.

sobo2012

New

Post by sobo2012 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:03 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Will be withdrawing. Thanks UMD Law for sucking at life. Next time, just ask me to mail you a $4000 check that covers my expenses over the past one month of preparation and moving.

Seriously...

Dude, VA is always the last payer.... The VA will make up for whatever is not covered by other sources of financial aid up to a certain amount (I don't know what program you are eligible for so I won't speculate). Whoever is telling you different needs to do some research.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”