Florida International University, FIU Acceptance, Denial, Wa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alknj2015

New

Re: Florida International University, FIU Acceptance, Denial, Wa

Post by alknj2015 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:58 pm

dvjn69 wrote:
alknj2015 wrote:
etrelles wrote:Lol you'll be fine! I'm not even sure if that matters at all. I just asked because in the first page of this thread some people made mention to the deposit being there if it was an acceptance but they didnt follow back. Given your LSAT you probably got in...or worst case scenario (doubt it) youll be on hold till further review.
haha okay thanks - i'll calm down
Don't stress.... I was admitted a few weeks ago and nothing about my seat deposit shows up on my status checker...
oh good! i'm sure plenty of other applicants will want to know that too. now i just need to figure out fiu or um...

rockydbull

New

Post by rockydbull » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 am

Does anybody have any idea when FIU does their scholarship information. My numbers are 164 and a 3.2 and while I am not a lock for scholarship money my scores seem to atleast be in the discussion and I am surprised I have not gotten correspondence from FIU

dvjn69

New

Post by dvjn69 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:53 am

rockydbull wrote:Does anybody have any idea when FIU does their scholarship information. My numbers are 164 and a 3.2 and while I am not a lock for scholarship money my scores seem to atleast be in the discussion and I am surprised I have not gotten correspondence from FIU
Email admissions or call them a week or so after you received your admissions letter if you haven't heard anything. My scholarship info got lost in the mail, and they emailed my offer to me before I even hung up the phone with them. Good luck!

alknj2015

New

Post by alknj2015 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

alknj2015 wrote:
dvjn69 wrote:
alknj2015 wrote:
etrelles wrote:Lol you'll be fine! I'm not even sure if that matters at all. I just asked because in the first page of this thread some people made mention to the deposit being there if it was an acceptance but they didnt follow back. Given your LSAT you probably got in...or worst case scenario (doubt it) youll be on hold till further review.
haha okay thanks - i'll calm down
Don't stress.... I was admitted a few weeks ago and nothing about my seat deposit shows up on my status checker...
oh good! i'm sure plenty of other applicants will want to know that too. now i just need to figure out fiu or um...
yeah so i got my letter today - i'm on hold! kinda shocked. um it is then!

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:15 pm

I am in a similar situation, held at FIU and accepted at Miami. Between the two I feel better about Miami, but the cost difference is SO substantial.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alknj2015

New

Post by alknj2015 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:28 pm

JerichoJohnny wrote:
I am in a similar situation, held at FIU and accepted at Miami. Between the two I feel better about Miami, but the cost difference is SO substantial.
It's incredibly substantial!!! I'm just going to bite the bullet and go to UM.

Figure.N9ne

New

Post by Figure.N9ne » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 pm

rockydbull wrote:Does anybody have any idea when FIU does their scholarship information. My numbers are 164 and a 3.2 and while I am not a lock for scholarship money my scores seem to atleast be in the discussion and I am surprised I have not gotten correspondence from FIU
I called them a few weeks back to ask about scholarships and they told me they already sent out scholarships to everyone with a 3.6 gpa AND a 158 LSAT. As those people reject the offers, they would be sending out new batches of scholarships. That was almost 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything about a scholarship yet.. I have a 3.52 and a 164.

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:38 am

alknj2015 wrote:
JerichoJohnny wrote:
It's incredibly substantial!!! I'm just going to bite the bullet and go to UM.

The difference in employment prospects probably makes up for the cost difference. UM is a very strong Miami market school while FIU is a mere 10 years old (not to knock on them), UM simply has much more clout, a much larger alumni base, and better employment prospects. Not to mention that with an FIU degree, you're not leaving SoFla, which means you'll be competing with UF, FSU, and Stetson grads which all probably have better south florida prospects, not to mention the laundry list of other schools (St. Thomas, Barry, Ave Maria) which FIU will probably "beat," but still, its more competition.

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:24 am

Anyone else here worried/put-off about the 29% 1L attrition rate? :shock: What's up with that? I am not sure how reliable that figure is, though it is slightly frightening. Anyone know anything about it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:36 pm

My status just changed to "under review." How long does the review period take until a decision is rendered?

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Dream Machine wrote:Anyone else here worried/put-off about the 29% 1L attrition rate? :shock: What's up with that? I am not sure how reliable that figure is, though it is slightly frightening. Anyone know anything about it?

LSN has their attrition at 23.3, so not too far off. I checked some of the Florida schools I mentioned in my earlier post and there seems to be a trend with Ave Maria being the only exception. Miami also had a lower rate which is to be expected from a higher ranked school, but interestingly it was still higher than Ave Maria's (but this does not take into consideration difficulty of the school).

FIU: 23.3
Barry: 27.6
St. Thomas: 28.5

Ave Maria: 4.8

UM: 10.1

eleph09

New

Post by eleph09 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Just had my status updated to "Decision rendered, letter mailed" yesterday. Has any one received any decisions this past week or so ?

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted so far!

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:52 pm

eleph09 wrote:Just had my status updated to "Decision rendered, letter mailed" yesterday. Has any one received any decisions this past week or so ?

How long did it take for you to go from "Under Review" to "Decision Rendered"? Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jlz111

New

Post by jlz111 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 am

Went under review 2 weeks ago. I found out today. 162/3.2 Scholarship info coming tomorrow.

Good luck all

eleph09

New

Post by eleph09 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:19 pm

rglifberg wrote:
eleph09 wrote:Just had my status updated to "Decision rendered, letter mailed" yesterday. Has any one received any decisions this past week or so ?

How long did it take for you to go from "Under Review" to "Decision Rendered"? Thanks!

It took 7 weeks for them to update the status

Figure.N9ne

New

Post by Figure.N9ne » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:44 pm

jlz111 wrote:Went under review 2 weeks ago. I found out today. 162/3.2 Scholarship info coming tomorrow.

Good luck all

Was it merit based or need based? I can't believe I didn't get anything from FIU merit based, yet I got a half scholarship from UF and Catholic which are ranked much higher. All I received from FIU was a small need-based scholarship today, and loan information... Thanks a lot.

Bellestar

New

Post by Bellestar » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Did anyone apply on Jan 1-5? My application has been "under review" since Jan 5.... uuggghhhh. Have you received decisions? If so, can you tell me your numbers? thanks..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legalybrunette

New

Post by legalybrunette » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Letter Mailed on 3/6....anybody else?

rockydbull

New

Post by rockydbull » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Figure.N9ne wrote:
jlz111 wrote:Went under review 2 weeks ago. I found out today. 162/3.2 Scholarship info coming tomorrow.

Good luck all

Was it merit based or need based? I can't believe I didn't get anything from FIU merit based, yet I got a half scholarship from UF and Catholic which are ranked much higher. All I received from FIU was a small need-based scholarship today, and loan information... Thanks a lot.
Same here I am seeing about 50% scholly from solid tier 2 schools like Cinncy and even got 90% to Stetson but all I got was 5k need based a year to FIU and lots of loan info

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:34 pm

The new rankings came out and FIU is moving up pretty fast! Ranked at #113 up from #135

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

dvjn69

New

Post by dvjn69 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:17 am

rockydbull wrote:
Figure.N9ne wrote:
jlz111 wrote: Same here I am seeing about 50% scholly from solid tier 2 schools like Cinncy and even got 90% to Stetson but all I got was 5k need based a year to FIU and lots of loan info

The important thing to check out is the dollar amount you'll have to pay after that scholarship is applied... 90% seems very impressive, but $10k is $10k (if that is really the difference... do the math yourself to get a good grasp on it). FIU is really a great value for what you pay.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rockydbull

New

Post by rockydbull » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:23 am

dvjn69 wrote:
rockydbull wrote:
Figure.N9ne wrote:
jlz111 wrote: Same here I am seeing about 50% scholly from solid tier 2 schools like Cinncy and even got 90% to Stetson but all I got was 5k need based a year to FIU and lots of loan info

The important thing to check out is the dollar amount you'll have to pay after that scholarship is applied... 90% seems very impressive, but $10k is $10k (if that is really the difference... do the math yourself to get a good grasp on it). FIU is really a great value for what you pay.
Stetson would be like 4k a year after remainder of tuition, Arkansas would be 12 the first a 6 year two and three and Cincy would be 12 a year. I am not sure if the FIU deal is all that great of a value especially at sticker. I mean FSU is not much more and way more highly regarded.

rockydbull

New

Post by rockydbull » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:25 am

rglifberg wrote:The new rankings came out and FIU is moving up pretty fast! Ranked at #113 up from #135

This quick movement is deceptive in my opinion. Even if FIU were to jump into the <100 rank I feel like since it is so new people would still think it was a knock off program.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:46 pm

rockydbull wrote:
rglifberg wrote:The new rankings came out and FIU is moving up pretty fast! Ranked at #113 up from #135

This quick movement is deceptive in my opinion. Even if FIU were to jump into the <100 rank I feel like since it is so new people would still think it was a knock off program.
I don't think so. I think the higher it climbs the more reputable it will become.

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:53 pm

rglifberg wrote:
rockydbull wrote:

I don't think so. I think the higher it climbs the more reputable it will become.

It certainly speaks to a trend, but largely, outside t14, t30 -- the rankings become a little more arbitrary with wild swings. Not to rain on FIU's parade, Miami is my hometown and I'm glad to see the school on the rise, but the new rankings should not play a deciding factor because it probably won't translate into much of a difference in employment prospects.

If you were to see 3-5 years of steady climbing, and maybe breaking into t60, then it's time to start talking about FIU as climbing tiers and not just rankings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”