Florida International University, FIU Acceptance, Denial, Wa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dream Machine

Bronze

Re: Florida International University, FIU Acceptance, Denial, Wa

Post by Dream Machine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:52 pm

ashjones wrote:Just wondering if anyone has had any movement after being held? I've gotten accepted at waitlisted to better schools, one T20 even. I am just curious if there has been anyone accepted after being held? Thanks!
What T20 school(s) have you been accepted/waitlisted at if you don't mind me asking?

dvjn69

New

Post by dvjn69 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:23 pm

cass1230 wrote:With the deadline for deposits coming in two days I was wondering if anyone was picking FIU over UM and if so, why? (Besides the obvious difference in cost)
Well, for me, the decision wasn't between FIU and Miami, but it was between those other 2 big schools in FL..... At the end of the day, a few things about FIU set themselves apart from the other schools I was considering (full disclosure, I sent my seat deposit in already, and am not from the area...)

1) If you've never been to the school, and have the ability to do so before the deadline, do it. The facilities are nice and modern, the gym is close, it is beautiful outside of it, and it has a very small, "close" feel to it. It seems like everything you need is in close proximity and everyone seems to know each other.

2) While you are there, meet Dean Acosta. If you can't go before you must decide, and you have any questions or concerns about the school, ask him directly. He was very frank and honest with me when I voiced my concerns to him. He takes his job seriously, and has YOUR interests at heart. He is very personable, and by far very impressive.

3) The class size is small. Only 160 people per year for the F/T program=more exposure and 1-on-1 experience with the professors. One of the ambassadors told stories of how he can text some of his professors for problems and questions.

4) The school is new, and on the rise. Look at how much their rankings jumped this year alone.

5) From the firms I talked to in the Miami area, FIU produces better lawyers than UM (and FSU). I never got anyone to definitively agree that FIU>UF, but a few seemed to believe that they were competitive, and just as good as UM in the South Florida market.

6) The school has plenty of clinical programs to peak your interests and give you practical experience. There are tons of internship/externship opportunities available to FIU students, too.

7) The curve isn't as big of a killer as what many will make you believe.

8) PRICE.

9) There are alot of influential people who want to see FIU succede. You will get a good job if you pass the bar (and their passage rate is quite impressive.) Career services has alot of great programs and connections.

10) You can be a part of making history by starting new traditions at a newer school.

I'm sure I could probably keep going, but you get the jist of it. P/M me if you have any other questions you want to ask me. Let us know what you decide!

rockydbull

New

Post by rockydbull » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:40 pm

dvjn69 wrote:
cass1230 wrote:With the deadline for deposits coming in two days I was wondering if anyone was picking FIU over UM and if so, why? (Besides the obvious difference in cost)
Well, for me, the decision wasn't between FIU and Miami, but it was between those other 2 big schools in FL..... At the end of the day, a few things about FIU set themselves apart from the other schools I was considering (full disclosure, I sent my seat deposit in already, and am not from the area...)

1) If you've never been to the school, and have the ability to do so before the deadline, do it. The facilities are nice and modern, the gym is close, it is beautiful outside of it, and it has a very small, "close" feel to it. It seems like everything you need is in close proximity and everyone seems to know each other.

2) While you are there, meet Dean Acosta. If you can't go before you must decide, and you have any questions or concerns about the school, ask him directly. He was very frank and honest with me when I voiced my concerns to him. He takes his job seriously, and has YOUR interests at heart. He is very personable, and by far very impressive.

3) The class size is small. Only 160 people per year for the F/T program=more exposure and 1-on-1 experience with the professors. One of the ambassadors told stories of how he can text some of his professors for problems and questions.

4) The school is new, and on the rise. Look at how much their rankings jumped this year alone.

5) From the firms I talked to in the Miami area, FIU produces better lawyers than UM (and FSU). I never got anyone to definitively agree that FIU>UF, but a few seemed to believe that they were competitive, and just as good as UM in the South Florida market.

6) The school has plenty of clinical programs to peak your interests and give you practical experience. There are tons of internship/externship opportunities available to FIU students, too.

7) The curve isn't as big of a killer as what many will make you believe.

8) PRICE.

9) There are alot of influential people who want to see FIU succede. You will get a good job if you pass the bar (and their passage rate is quite impressive.) Career services has alot of great programs and connections.

10) You can be a part of making history by starting new traditions at a newer school.

I'm sure I could probably keep going, but you get the jist of it. P/M me if you have any other questions you want to ask me. Let us know what you decide!
Your reasoning is interesting. I was considering FIU but they told me no scholarship because my gpa was too low. I am a URM with a 164 3.2. Did you recieve any scholarship money?

ashjones

New

Post by ashjones » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:54 pm

I have been waitlisted to the University of Minnesota and Iowa. Minnesota is now 19.

nataly1791

New

Post by nataly1791 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:07 pm

They had said after April 1 they will review people on hold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dvjn69

New

Post by dvjn69 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 pm

rockydbull wrote:
dvjn69 wrote:
cass1230 wrote: Your reasoning is interesting. I was considering FIU but they told me no scholarship because my gpa was too low. I am a URM with a 164 3.2. Did you recieve any scholarship money?
Ya, but it wasn't the overriding factor (I get the G.I. Bill, so money wasn't the big prob for me when comparing public schools.)

BelleStarMiami

New

Post by BelleStarMiami » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Ive been under review since Jan. 5. Wow! This is incredible and it sucks to know that it looks like they are waiting for the deposit deadline to make a decision!!! uggghhh. I've been accepted to a 2 tier and even a full scholly. why can't FIU give me something.. lol
anyone waiting this long?

jjc10d

New

Post by jjc10d » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 am

Hey my file went under review on 3/22 so I'm waiting...I wanted to know as an applicant what do you think...Graduated in dec from fsu.. top 13% of my class out of 10500. double maj: poly sci and history. 22 A's 8B's in my final 30 4 semesters. Which I did in a year and a half to showcase I'm capable of doing well in LS b/c before I got my AA my gpa was crap. My FSU gpa is 3.75...however my OVERALL is 2.96(which is what they'll see). My lsat is 153..I had a huge turn around once I entered my majors...Lets just say for my sake my PS is amazing and eye catching..what do you think my chances of getting in FIU are...

FreeLolita

New

Post by FreeLolita » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:10 am

jjc10d wrote:Hey my file went under review on 3/22 so I'm waiting...I wanted to know as an applicant what do you think...Graduated in dec from fsu.. top 13% of my class out of 10500. double maj: poly sci and history. 22 A's 8B's in my final 30 4 semesters. Which I did in a year and a half to showcase I'm capable of doing well in LS b/c before I got my AA my gpa was crap. My FSU gpa is 3.75...however my OVERALL is 2.96(which is what they'll see). My lsat is 153..I had a huge turn around once I entered my majors...Lets just say for my sake my PS is amazing and eye catching..what do you think my chances of getting in FIU are...
Well, I am not trying to a jerk here, but law school is largely a numbers game, as I am sure you are aware, and you are below both of FIU's medians, which all schools have an incentive to maintain. Are you a URM? Regardless, if you want to improve you rchances at FIU and other schools, you are gonnahate me, but retake the LSAT. I had a similar LSAT score as you and really buckled down and saw a huge jump. You seem like a smart, hard-working person from your post and graduating early, and I am sure you can score higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jjc10d

New

Post by jjc10d » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:55 am

I appreciate the honesty..hopefully they see what you saw. I mean if I don't get into fiu im hoping for st thomas or nova..and then ill try and transfer out

jjc10d

New

Post by jjc10d » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 am

Hispanic btw

dvjn69

New

Post by dvjn69 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:23 pm

jjc10d wrote:I appreciate the honesty..hopefully they see what you saw. I mean if I don't get into fiu im hoping for st thomas or nova..and then ill try and transfer out
If at all possible, go to the school and try to get some face time with the admissions office/dean... There are only 160 seats, so you need to do whatever you can to get a leg up on the others in your position...

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 pm

i have been "under review" since 1/19. I have been checking my status daily for the last several weeks. I have been putting off giving in a seat deposit until I know what FIU's response is. Everytime I call, I get the same generic response, "decisions usually take 6-9 weeks." Well, this is my 9th week, I hope I hear good news. I feel the need to be compensated for such a long wait :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nataly1791

New

Post by nataly1791 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Last edited by nataly1791 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arodr185

New

Post by arodr185 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm so happy I found this forum. I too have been patiently waiting for a response from FIU Law. I applied on January 26th, and still on the status check website it still says "Your file is still under review". My co-worker applied to FIU in October and was given an answer at the beginning of January. After I sent two emails to the admissions email as well as the head of the admissions process and no response, I am really worried. I applied to Nova and St. Thomas and received a quick acceptance to both in less than a month! I don't know whats up with FIU and why it takes so long but the seat deposit for St. Thomas is coming up on the 15th and I'm wondering if anyone knows whats the policy for multiple seat deposits? I know the seat deposit is non-refundable but I rather go to FIU due to the closeness and the price.

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:21 pm

I feel like I will be hearing back from FIU once I have paid my first seat deposit elsewhere :/ This is going to suck!

karmazov

New

Post by karmazov » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:16 am

Quick question...

I applied on 3/13/2012 and no response yer

Is a seat deposit still required if I havent heard from them yet???

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Favre4Prez

Bronze

Post by Favre4Prez » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:21 am

karmazov wrote:Quick question...

No. You don't send them anything until when you are accepted (assuming you are accepted).

LOL is your username an allusion to The Brother Karamazov, by Fyofor Dostoyevsky, the subject of the RC passage everyone hated from Oct. 2011?

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Has anyone received acceptance this past week?

Favre4Prez

Bronze

Post by Favre4Prez » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:25 pm

elusiventity wrote:Has anyone received acceptance this past week?
Maybe they are done with acceptances? It after all is reaaaallly late in the cycle. You might want to check with them. It's a small class (around 120 to 150 I believe), and they started issuing acceptances early in year, first school I heard from actually.

Question for everyone:

I got in here a few months ago and wasn't seriously considering going here until a few days ago due to changing circumstances. However, the seat deposit deadline was April 1st, which has passed. I don't want to put a seat deposit down here and go elsewhere thereby flushing money down the toilet; but I do not want to lose my spot here either, and there is a legimiate chance I may end up here. A lot of this is due in part to the fact I haven't really had a chance to visit many of the schools. Any advice?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:29 pm

Favre4Prez wrote:
Maybe they are done with acceptances? It after all is reaaaallly late in the cycle. You might want to check with them. It's a small class (around 120 to 150 I believe), and they started issuing acceptances early in year, first school I heard from actually.

Question for everyone:

I got in here a few months ago and wasn't seriously considering going here until a few days ago due to changing circumstances. However, the seat deposit deadline was April 1st, which has passed. I don't want to put a seat deposit down here and go elsewhere thereby flushing money down the toilet; but I do not want to lose my spot here either, and there is a legimiate chance I may end up here. A lot of this is due in part to the fact I haven't really had a chance to visit many of the schools. Any advice?
Put down a deposit. Lose the money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Favre4Prez

Bronze

Post by Favre4Prez » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Favre4Prez wrote:

Question for everyone:

Actually, nevermind. I just remembered I knew someone who was formally wait-listed here first and eventually accepted two years ago. I also think I am just going to withdraw soon. I don't know if I can go to school in Miami.

karmazov

New

Post by karmazov » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Favre4Prez wrote:
karmazov wrote:Quick question...

No. You don't send them anything until when you are accepted (assuming you are accepted).

LOL is your username an allusion to The Brother Karamazov, by Fyofor Dostoyevsky, the subject of the RC passage everyone hated from Oct. 2011?

Yes its is, used to be one of my av writers but as i got older it became apparent his writing was quite dark except of course for his character of Allyosha...

arodr185

New

Post by arodr185 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:14 pm

My status changed to decision rendered - letter mailed today AFTER I called and complained that I had been waiting for 11 WEEKS. I'm hoping I get this before April 15th which is St. Thomas's seat deposit deadline. *fingers crossed*. Anyone else have their status change today?

Favre4Prez

Bronze

Post by Favre4Prez » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:27 pm

arodr185 wrote:My status changed to decision rendered - letter mailed today AFTER I called and complained that I had been waiting for 11 WEEKS. I'm hoping I get this before April 15th which is St. Thomas's seat deposit deadline. *fingers crossed*. Anyone else have their status change today?
With all due respect, 11 weeks is not necessarily a very long wait for a decision from any school to be honest, depending upon what your numbers are. I have actually been waiting for a decision from a school since November lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”