Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rockydbull

New

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by rockydbull » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:10 pm

cutecarmel wrote:
rockydbull wrote:When do you think would be a good time to ask?
Is there an admitted students weekend coming up? Maybe then. It depends on when you receieved the scholarship. I wouldn't request too soon after receiving the scholarship, but make sure you have enough good offers from other schools to negotiate with.
I have offers from other schools the problem is they are higher ranked less money. I have 50% to Cinncy and 50% to Arkansas Fayetville. I am not sure if that will translate well into more money from Stetson

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 am

Waiting doesn't make any sense. Assuming you have some leverage (competing offers), negotiate ASAP. Scan in copies of your other offers and send them to the proper person in fin aid, along with a cover letter requesting more money. If you have ASDs coming up at the other schools, I would note those dates in the letter.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:25 am

seancris wrote:
Waiting doesn't make any sense. Assuming you have some leverage (competing offers), negotiate ASAP. Scan in copies of your other offers and send them to the proper person in fin aid, along with a cover letter requesting more money. If you have ASDs coming up at the other schools, I would note those dates in the letter.
I really mean waiting for more offers. I think more offers would make a better case for negotiating. And possibly they would have more money available from those that withdraw soon. But that is just me. If now seems like I good time for you to negotiate, go for it. It is in your favor that the admissions committee (Laura and Darren) are really nice, and if an increase would solidify your decision to go to Stetson, they might offer it to you.

Good luck!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 am

You can always send in additional offers as you recieve them.

GatorCTS

Bronze

Post by GatorCTS » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:30 am

Got accepted yesterday. Not sure if I will go tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beauTfully_free

New

Post by beauTfully_free » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Has anyone sent in their seat deposit yet? I haven't looked at the papers in a little while (and don't have them nearby unfortunately) but do you pay the money electronically or send a check or what?

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Was just accepted yesterday, although unless I receive a decent amount of money, I will not be attending. I am going to visit Stetson, should I also be accepted at Miami...

floridaninja

New

Post by floridaninja » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 pm

What is the deal with Stetson?

Time and time again, it's ranked at the top in all of the country in Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing, yet Stetson is only ranked 119 in the country. It'd be great to see Stetson break 100 and become more well known throughout the country. I don't understand why it's not ranked higher overall with being ranked so high in Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing.

Stetson seems better than Nova, yet both are regional schools. Is Stetson that much better though to choose it over Nova or should it be based on where you want to practice (South Florida vs. Tampa Bay area)?

Does anyone know the job prospects for Stetson grads? I know a girl who worked in Tampa at a law firm and she said Stetson grads do well in the Tampa Bay area, but what about anywhere else, even in FL?

I took a tour of the Gulfport campus which was nice, but the area of Gulfport didn't seem that great. If I go, I'll be part-time so I'll be in the Tampa school somewhat which would be nice. I asked the student tour guide at the end of the tour, "I know your job is to sell Stetson, but if you had to pick an area in which Stetson could improve, what would it be?" It was a hardball, but I need all the information, good and bad, before I make a final decision. The tour guide advised two areas; one being bar exam preparation and the other being career services. The tour guide did state they are improving in these areas though a/k/a fluffed the answer best they could.

Any information anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

If I do go to Stetson, I will be more than excited and wear my school on my sleeve, there's not doubt about that.

Thanks!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:05 am

floridaninja wrote:What is the deal with Stetson?

Time and time again, it's ranked at the top in all of the country in Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing, yet Stetson is only ranked 119 in the country. It'd be great to see Stetson break 100 and become more well known throughout the country. I don't understand why it's not ranked higher overall with being ranked so high in Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing.
Because specialty rankings are practically meaningless.
Stetson seems better than Nova, yet both are regional schools. Is Stetson that much better though to choose it over Nova or should it be based on where you want to practice (South Florida vs. Tampa Bay area)?
Stetson is much better than Nova, but that isn't saying a whole lot. If you want to practice in Tampa & won't acquire significant debt (50k or so total), then Stetson might be reasonable.
Does anyone know the job prospects for Stetson grads? I know a girl who worked in Tampa at a law firm and she said Stetson grads do well in the Tampa Bay area, but what about anywhere else, even in FL?
Not good but fair for Tampa. There are like 13 law schools in an already saturated Fl market that pump out hundreds of grads each every year that you will be competing with for entry-level work. Stetson is the fifth-best school in the state, behind UF, FSU, UM, and FIU. And all of those grads take a back-seat in hiring to T14's with Florida ties. Don't expect great prospects outside of Tampa. Don't expect great prospects even in Tampa ITE, for that matter.

Word of advice: don't ask these questions in the acceptancces forum. These are mostly students who are all set to go to Stetson and are sold on their prospects with a Stetson JD. Most responses will be very biased. Ask in the "choosing a law school" forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:32 pm

^^^^^^^
This is all credited.

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm in my last semester at Stetson. Feel free to pose questions; I will do my best to check back a couple of times.

rockydbull

New

Post by rockydbull » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:53 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:I'm in my last semester at Stetson. Feel free to pose questions; I will do my best to check back a couple of times.
How much debt are you looking at as a soon to be graduate and what are your job prospects after graduation. In addition if you don't mind sharing what your rank is

Thanks

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:32 am

Debt: 200k (including undergrad) to the Fed. Didn't get a scholarship as an incoming student.

Job Prospects: I have a job as an Assistant Public Defender if I pass the July bar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:35 am

I should add that I plan on doing IBR (Income Based Repayment) + PSLF (Public Service Loan Forgiveness) to get rid of that debt at the 10-year mark.

floridaninja

New

Post by floridaninja » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:24 am

Were you ever at the Tampa Law Center and if so, how is it?

Did you plan on doing criminal when you entered law school?

The people who you would say you're the closest with from your classes, do they have jobs upon graduation?

rockydbull

New

Post by rockydbull » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:30 am

snakemongler84 wrote:Debt: 200k (including undergrad) to the Fed. Didn't get a scholarship as an incoming student.

Job Prospects: I have a job as an Assistant Public Defender if I pass the July bar.

thanks for all the info. Where did you do your undergrad? I am a current student at USF Tampa. APD seems pretty cool what are the job prospects of your peers?

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 am

snakemongler84 wrote:Debt: 200k (including undergrad) to the Fed. Didn't get a scholarship as an incoming student.

Congrats on the job.

I'm doing the prosecution clinic in the fall. Hope to get a job as an ASA.

Did you do the clinic? If so, how did that factor into you getting a permanent offer?

Any advice?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 pm

floridaninja wrote:Were you ever at the Tampa Law Center and if so, how is it?

Did you plan on doing criminal when you entered law school?

The people who you would say you're the closest with from your classes, do they have jobs upon graduation?
Tampa Law Center is fairly new & nice. It doesn't have the character / "Florida Feel" of the Gulfport campus, but I imagine part-time students (who mainly use the Tampa campus) are not there to hang out. Stetson seems to do a good job of offering a variety of classes there too -- some of which I have wanted to take, but didn't want to commute to Tampa to do so. Lastly, having the 2nd DCA (appellate court) judges actually working from the Tampa Center is pretty cool -- and that in itself offers opportunity for learning and networking.

I did plan on going into criminal practice when I entered, but there were times when my desire to do so wavered. I had a bit of experience in law enforcement prior to law school.

I'd say 2/3 of my closest law school friends have job offers / plans -- most of which are probably contingent upon bar passage.

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 pm

rockydbull wrote:

thanks for all the info. Where did you do your undergrad? I am a current student at USF Tampa. APD seems pretty cool what are the job prospects of your peers?
I did undergrad all over the place, but I started & ended at the University of Illinois.

I don't gossip / inquire too much, but from what I gather the job prospects of my peers are good -- but not great. Stetson is known state-wide for its Advocacy programs, and it is well respected in the Tampa Bay region for every type of practice. We have a large alumni base that seems to "plop down" (as a Professor put it) here and stay for good, so that helps a bit.

The key is finding your niche. If you carve one out for yourself early on, you tend to meet practitioners who share your interest / developing expertise. Even if those connections don't lead to job offers, they lead to solid letters of recommendation.

I'm sorry I can't answer the job prospects question directly -- because I honestly don't know about other people. Gotta look out for #1, right?

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:22 pm

shawty18ga wrote:

Congrats on the job.

Did you do the clinic? If so, how did that factor into you getting a permanent offer?

Any advice?
The clinics are as awesome as you make them. They're better preparation than the Advocacy Teams for the real practice of law, if you take them seriously.

I did two clinics: First the Public Defender Clinic, and then the Local Government Clinic. The PD Clinic factored into getting a permanent offer more than anything else in law school (grades, law review, etc.).

My advice is to kick ass while in the clinic, and after. You can set yourself up to be able to kick ass by doing a couple things: (1) build your course schedule that semester AROUND your clinic -- make sure you have a couple days open mid-week (especially Tuesday & Wednesday in the 6th Circuit, for that is when Misdemeanor Trials go down); and (2) be professional / have your shit together. What I mean by number (2) is to know all that you can know when you go in every day: review your Evidence outline / handouts early & often, do LEGAL RESEARCH to back up your planned arguments, and learn from everybody around you in the office. Don't just cruise through the experience looking like a student; have people mistake you for a lawyer -- before you get out of law school.

Hope some of that rant helps.

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:39 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:
shawty18ga wrote:

Congrats on the job.

Any advice?
The clinics are as awesome as you make them. They're better preparation than the Advocacy Teams for the real practice of law, if you take them seriously.

I did two clinics: First the Public Defender Clinic, and then the Local Government Clinic. The PD Clinic factored into getting a permanent offer more than anything else in law school (grades, law review, etc.).

My advice is to kick ass while in the clinic, and after. You can set yourself up to be able to kick ass by doing a couple things: (1) build your course schedule that semester AROUND your clinic -- make sure you have a couple days open mid-week (especially Tuesday & Wednesday in the 6th Circuit, for that is when Misdemeanor Trials go down); and (2) be professional / have your shit together. What I mean by number (2) is to know all that you can know when you go in every day: review your Evidence outline / handouts early & often, do LEGAL RESEARCH to back up your planned arguments, and learn from everybody around you in the office. Don't just cruise through the experience looking like a student; have people mistake you for a lawyer -- before you get out of law school.

Hope some of that rant helps.
Excellent. Thank you. This is the type of advice that I wish we could get more of.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:42 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:I'm in my last semester at Stetson. Feel free to pose questions; I will do my best to check back a couple of times.
Thanks a lot for doing this! How much do Florida ties impact job prospects? Do students with no ties to FL other than law school have a noticeably more difficult time securing legal employment?

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:44 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:
Thanks a lot for doing this! How much do Florida ties impact job prospects? Do students with no ties to FL other than law school have a noticeably more difficult time securing legal employment?
FL ties certainly help, but they are not dispositive.

I had no Florida ties when I came to law school. However, I made an effort to be engaged since coming here (involved with student organizations, local volunteer opportunities, clinics [mentioned above], and most recently joined an Inn of Court in Tampa). From that engagement, I've met many lawyers and judges -- hailing from Miami to Tallahassee.

Other native Floridian students may have better prospects in their home region, and while this is an advantage for them -- it is also one for you because they leave the rest of the state un-tapped / untouched. I will also say that Florida is a "transplant" state, in that people (not just retirees) from all over move here to settle-in. Not only does this diminish the necessity of FL ties (because your home-state might be even more useful with employers here who share it), it also makes relating to clients & juries easier because you don't have to try to fake being native. I never say "ya'll" and I do just fine...

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:27 pm

I can echo what snakemongler says about ties. I have not found them to be super important in this part of Florida. The truth is that most people here are from somewhere else. Being unique can help.

I've had good success in interviews and great success in trial ad partly because people here find my accent intriguing.

When I interviewed with the firm I currently work for, the two partners who interviewed me were both from other places. One from NYC and the other from Pittsburgh. I think maybe one or two attorneys at my twenty attorney firm are from Florida originally.

Like snakemongler said, this might be a bit different if you move out into some of the rural areas.

arizonastategirl23

New

Post by arizonastategirl23 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:07 am

In with $30,000 scholly. 3.65 lsac & undergrad gpa, 164 LSAT.... decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”