Pitt c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
northwood

Platinum

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Post by northwood » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 pm

Good luck to all the new 1Ls this year

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:29 pm

northwood wrote:Good luck to all the new 1Ls this year
My advice for all the new 1Ls:

When you're starting to freak out about school, stop it. Just stop it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:46 pm

That and do something non law related at least once a week and talk to someone about anything BUT law.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:52 am

Had a good laugh at the youtube video, so thanks for that. Thank you all for answering questions and easing our anxiety of the unknown. It has certainly helped me to put everything in perspective as the journey begins.

PostLSATBender

New

Post by PostLSATBender » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 am

Holy flipping dog shit. Is there anywhere you can go in this law school to study in peace and quiet? The law library is like a goddamn social hour. The library in my high school had students that were much more serious than here, and that is no exaggeration. You would get asked to leave for talking. Do the students here actually want to fail out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 am

PostLSATBender wrote:Holy flipping dog shit. Is there anywhere you can go in this law school to study in peace and quiet? The law library is like a goddamn social hour. The library in my high school had students that were much more serious than here, and that is no exaggeration. You would get asked to leave for talking. Do the students here actually want to fail out?

stay off of the 4th floor.

the3rd and 5th floor are more quiet. There are cubicles where you can sit and study alone. If you sit at a table, the chances of you talking and not working increase

the best place to study in peace and quiet is far away from law school

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:23 pm

northwood wrote:
PostLSATBender wrote:Holy flipping dog shit. Is there anywhere you can go in this law school to study in peace and quiet? The law library is like a goddamn social hour. The library in my high school had students that were much more serious than here, and that is no exaggeration. You would get asked to leave for talking. Do the students here actually want to fail out?

stay off of the 4th floor.

the3rd and 5th floor are more quiet. There are cubicles where you can sit and study alone. If you sit at a table, the chances of you talking and not working increase

the best place to study in peace and quiet is far away from law school
This is the truth. Its recognized by the whole school that there are no rules on the fourth floor. The cubbies on the 5th and 3rd are generally pretty quiet. Really quiet actually. Freaks me out a bit.

swan87

New

Post by swan87 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:06 pm

The third floor is usually very quiet. I've found the fifth floor to be pretty loud though.

You could also go to the undergrad library. It tends to be very quiet too.

PostLSATBender

New

Post by PostLSATBender » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:15 pm

swan87 wrote:
The third floor is usually very quiet. I've found the fifth floor to be pretty loud though.

You could also go to the undergrad library. It tends to be very quiet too.
I don't know about floors 3 & 5. Profs are constantly talking in their offices on both floors. People do group work as well, and even though they keep it to a whisper, it's still annoying. This is a pretty serious problem. I've talked to a lot of people who need absolute silence to study, and literally don't know where to go (mostly b/c of loud roommates). If Princeton Review were to ask me what the biggest problem was with Pitt, I would say this is it. The logical response would be to 'rent' out study rooms, but there are only a limited number and you can only have them for four hours. Pretty laughable if you ask me. How can you have a serious law school without quiet rooms?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:18 pm

use one of the cubbies on the third floor or 5th floor. put on headphones and set station to classical music. dive into your work and tune out the rest. profit

PostLSATBender

New

Post by PostLSATBender » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:10 pm

northwood wrote:use one of the cubbies on the third floor or 5th floor. put on headphones and set station to classical music. dive into your work and tune out the rest. profit
You're probably right. It's just been a bad week and I need to vent...

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 am

Another good place to try would be the cubbies that arent in the middle of the floor. Like, if you go to either the 3rd or 5th, and take a hard right to go next to the stairs, there will be four or five cubbies back there, and its usually real quiet.

Lady McDuff

New

Post by Lady McDuff » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 pm

questions about law review open for answer:

1 why do they say that getting on is a super secret process?
2 if you don't have a class rank or a percentile after 1L then how is it possible grade on?
3 do students currently on law review aid in the selection process?
4 if you don't grade on do extracurriculars like jurist help or is it based only on your writing sample?
5 can you get on law review after your first year or is it a one shot deal?

thanks. i almost wonder how much anyone will actually know about law review since it's probably only 1Ls who read this forum

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:22 pm

1). I don't know the answer, but I suspect it isn't so 'super secret.' You either have the grades, or you write-on and are 'graded' by LR editors. A bluebook/editing exam is also involved, and the two exercises are graded together.
2). I think the school gives each journal students who make a cut-off, i.e. 25%, 15%, 10%. I have heard that these numbers are based of your GPA in comparison to others in your small section writing class.
3). Members of LR and other journals read your write-on and send invitations based on quality of submission.
4). No, writing sample or grades.
5). 2Ls can participate in the write-on, however students can only accept one journal invitation throughout law school. So, if you are invited to a secondary journal after 1L and you accept, you cannot do the write-on 2L year for a spot on LR.

That's my understanding. HTH.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Im not a law review kind of person, but Ill share with you this. You should try to write on if youre interested. Almost everyone fizzles out, and doesnt actually finish it.

Also, I think grading on is done by GPA by small section?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”