Pitt c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bport hopeful

Gold

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Steel City Kid wrote:Fresh off the press this morning, here's a gem from one of the participants in the "recent activity":

"Screw law school and all those pretentious f*cks thinking they know anything about me. They don't deserve my money. Time to make money, get my own place, and do what I want free of guilt."
This was in the c/o 2015 fb group?
It was her status.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:32 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
It was her status.
Is she one of the admits?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Bedsole wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
It was her status.
Is she one of the admits?
No clue. Id imagine so if she was active in the FB group this late in the game.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Decided not to go im betting

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:10 pm

northwood wrote:Decided not to go im betting
A bad experience over facebook can be devastating to a schools matriculation rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SlimShadyMcCoy

New

Post by SlimShadyMcCoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi all. 0L here. Hoping to hear from some current Pitt Law students regarding the career services office. I spoke with an attorney recruiter from a US gov't agency, and she told me that Pitt's CSO was pretty great comparatively speaking and that Pitt students generally do well outside of Pittsburgh. Can anyone attest to this? I'm guessing she was referring to students who finish top 10% or 20%, but it was reassuring to hear nonetheless. If this is true, has anyone heard of Pitt grads living/working in the Philadelphia area after graduating?

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:15 pm

For the Pitt grads in Philly question: The CSO, now OPCD i believe, does a pretty decent job at getting opportunities to give students a chance at Philly firms. There is a specific Philly OCI day where students selected for interviews go to Philly and interview all day. I can't speak for placement, but CSO can crack the door open a little bit.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=190138

In case anyone has lingering questions.

SlimShadyMcCoy

New

Post by SlimShadyMcCoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:44 pm

drs36 wrote:For the Pitt grads in Philly question: The CSO, now OPCD i believe, does a pretty decent job at getting opportunities to give students a chance at Philly firms. There is a specific Philly OCI day where students selected for interviews go to Philly and interview all day. I can't speak for placement, but CSO can crack the door open a little bit.
Thanks. I'm wondering if the Philly OCI day you're talking about is the 6-in-1 interview session where students from 6 different Philly area schools participate. I heard that it sucks for the students - even those from UPenn - because they don't get as many interviews as they would in traditional OCI (many of the schools don't have this). I know it's probably premature for me to be talking about OCI since I don't even know if I'll be eligible, but one of the reasons I chose UPitt over Philly area schools was because of the sheer magnitude of entry-level attorneys servicing the Philadelphia legal market. But after speaking with several young attorneys in that area, the general consensus was that the it was big enough to house all of those law schools so now I can't help but wonder if UPitt grads have access.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:48 am

I'm not quite sure if Pitt's Philly day coincides with the 6-in-1. There are six firms, along with the D.A. and P.D. office that are interviewing at Pitt's Philly OCI. I imagine there are a lot more firms for the Philly area schools, so this might be something different.

SlimShadyMcCoy

New

Post by SlimShadyMcCoy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:07 am

drs36 wrote:I'm not quite sure if Pitt's Philly day coincides with the 6-in-1. There are six firms, along with the D.A. and P.D. office that are interviewing at Pitt's Philly OCI. I imagine there are a lot more firms for the Philly area schools, so this might be something different.
Thanks, drs36. Sounds like it may be something different than the 6-in-1, which is sort of refreshing in itself. Here's another question I was wondering if you'd be able to offer your two cents on. There are a few different activities I'd like to participate in after 1L if possible, namely the Health Law Certificate Program and the semester in DC. Even more than those, I'd like to try and make moot court and/or Law Review (again, I know I'd have to be eligible for both of these based on grades). In the case that I make either, do you know if it's possible to participate in both in addition to the semester in DC and the Health Law Certificate Program? Am I asking too much?

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:48 am

You can try out for mock trial and, if selected, would be able to do a journal as well. Law Review is very tough to get, so you'll have to work your ass off and get lucky. Hopefully you do. As for the Health Law Cert, you won't have to do anything in regards to that during 1L. That certificate carries its own requirements, i.e. special classes, seminars, writing reqs, and you will satisfy those during 2L and 3L. If you'd like to do a semester in DC, you won't be taking core Health Law classes (anyone can correct me if i'm wrong). Instead, you'll be 'working' or 'externing' for credit, which can be beneficial. If you can squeeze in all the HLC req's in 3 semesters, and you probably can, then you can do both.

I don't know about participating in journals/mock and doing D.C. so I can't help you there. But there is no problem with doing mock/journal/both and the health law cert.

SlimShadyMcCoy

New

Post by SlimShadyMcCoy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:54 am

drs36 wrote:You can try out for mock trial and, if selected, would be able to do a journal as well. Law Review is very tough to get, so you'll have to work your ass off and get lucky. Hopefully you do. As for the Health Law Cert, you won't have to do anything in regards to that during 1L. That certificate carries its own requirements, i.e. special classes, seminars, writing reqs, and you will satisfy those during 2L and 3L. If you'd like to do a semester in DC, you won't be taking core Health Law classes (anyone can correct me if i'm wrong). Instead, you'll be 'working' or 'externing' for credit, which can be beneficial. If you can squeeze in all the HLC req's in 3 semesters, and you probably can, then you can do both.

I don't know about participating in journals/mock and doing D.C. so I can't help you there. But there is no problem with doing mock/journal/both and the health law cert.
Thanks for the response. This is definitely helpful info. I think you can do semester in DC and HLCP if your externship is with a health-related gov't agency. But yea, I could see how it would be difficult to do that in conjunction to mock.

Again, thanks a ton!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:09 pm

SlimShadyMcCoy wrote:
drs36 wrote:I'm not quite sure if Pitt's Philly day coincides with the 6-in-1. There are six firms, along with the D.A. and P.D. office that are interviewing at Pitt's Philly OCI. I imagine there are a lot more firms for the Philly area schools, so this might be something different.
Thanks, drs36. Sounds like it may be something different than the 6-in-1, which is sort of refreshing in itself. Here's another question I was wondering if you'd be able to offer your two cents on. There are a few different activities I'd like to participate in after 1L if possible, namely the Health Law Certificate Program and the semester in DC. Even more than those, I'd like to try and make moot court and/or Law Review (again, I know I'd have to be eligible for both of these based on grades). In the case that I make either, do you know if it's possible to participate in both in addition to the semester in DC and the Health Law Certificate Program? Am I asking too much?
Assuming you write well enough, you can write onto LR without the grades for it. Moot court is based entirely on a tryout, although there are a lot of mock trial/moot court competitions available. I think this includes a health law one. If you make the moot court team, it is a class you get credit for, and I know people who have done it without it affecting their grades adversely. As for the Health Law Cert program, this does not really entail any additional work beyond the usual courseload, all it comprises is a specific set of classes and a .5 credit hour / semester current health law topics class. I'm in the IP cert, not health cert, so I don't know if you can fit all your required credits in before a DC semester, but it's probably possible. You could e-mail Professor Meisel (runs the health law program) and ask if you could fit it together with semester in DC, he's probably come across that question a few times already.

SlimShadyMcCoy

New

Post by SlimShadyMcCoy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:44 am

Bedsole wrote:
SlimShadyMcCoy wrote:
Assuming you write well enough, you can write onto LR without the grades for it. Moot court is based entirely on a tryout, although there are a lot of mock trial/moot court competitions available. I think this includes a health law one. If you make the moot court team, it is a class you get credit for, and I know people who have done it without it affecting their grades adversely. As for the Health Law Cert program, this does not really entail any additional work beyond the usual courseload, all it comprises is a specific set of classes and a .5 credit hour / semester current health law topics class. I'm in the IP cert, not health cert, so I don't know if you can fit all your required credits in before a DC semester, but it's probably possible. You could e-mail Professor Meisel (runs the health law program) and ask if you could fit it together with semester in DC, he's probably come across that question a few times already.
This is all deadly info - much oblige! I'll probably have a barrage of questions over the next few weeks, so if I get too annoying just tell me and I'll shut my face.

Do you know if there is some kind of central location on Pitt's website that all law students use where I can check for class assignments? I already received an assignment for one class, but it was through webmail. Is there a way I can check to see if I have assignments for other classes as well, if not notified via webmail?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:33 am

--LinkRemoved--

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Who gives an assignment this early? I'd wait a bit to do it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 1776 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:38 am

Any study methods on this site that you 2Ls have found particularly helpful? I looked at Lazy's plan and it certainly seems reasonable.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 pm

Pitt Bump

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Any study methods on this site that you 2Ls have found particularly helpful? I looked at Lazy's plan and it certainly seems reasonable.
I've heard good things about Arrow's guide. Most people find their own groove, though. In the end I think you really have to find what works for you and what method keeps you at a study pace you can maintain through finals.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:39 am

It seems Arrow has a huge emphasis on the E&E supplements. Do you think this is useful information, or should we be asking each of the professors which supplements they recommend?

The amount of information is pretty mind boggling (considering a few of the study approaches I have read, and how vastly different each of them are). It seems from his guide that he almost scrapped the casebook entirely, which bugs me out a bit.

SlimShadyMcCoy

New

Post by SlimShadyMcCoy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:30 am

Okay, so I just moved into my house in Pittsburgh and found out that the floors squeak. It's pretty annoying and I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to study when my roommate is walking around (I'm one floor below him). I'm particularly concerned about Friday and Saturday nights when he's getting ready to go out (he's not a law student), etc. etc. I might be able to work out a system with him where I can plan my reading schedule around when he won't be there, but does anyone know a good spot on campus that is quiet and open past 10PM? Any other suggestions??

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am

You should be okay working at the library but you might want to make sure you have some fun time set aside.. It's a marathon not a sprint

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:06 pm

northwood wrote:You should be okay working at the library but you might want to make sure you have some fun time set aside.. It's a marathon not a sprint
Exactly what I was thinking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”