Pitt c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
un-vordox

Bronze

Pitt c/o 2015

Post by un-vordox » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Did anyone apply ED? I did, but I switched to RD. I just got a notice today that my app is under review.

neeko

Silver

Re: Pitt c/o 2015

Post by neeko » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Under review today for me, too!

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:18 pm

jeez you and i seriously had the same game plan this cycle, didn't we?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:24 pm

It does seem that way! I think I've seen you in at least 3 or 4 other threads

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Let's hope applying on 10/1 to all these schools pays off! My fiance is from PGH so I'll be checking out the campus over Thanksgiving weekend. Never been there before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:51 pm

As someone advised me last year, if they are sitting on your app for some time (and yes, just because you're "under review" doesn't mean it isn't sitting in a pile nowhere close to the admissions committee), call and tell them you're very interested in Pitt and was wondering when you might hear a decision. I did this and then sent a LOCI even though I wasn't waitlisted and I was in two days later. In any case, it is still early in the game. Just a note at this point that being under review means that you're in a pile by an admission staff member's desk most of the time.

This doesn't really apply to people whose credentials (mainly great LSAT score for Pitt and a fair enough GPA) or people who have a crap GPA. I'd say this applies if you have a mediocre or slightly above or below mediocre LSAT score for Pitt. Again though, your UG GPA has to be ok. I'd say above 3.0 makes you safe. Obviously the higher the better.

In any case, even if you have a great LSAT score or a crappy one, Pitt wants to know they aren't wasting their admissions offer. Show you want Pitt, not that they were one of many considerations and perhaps a lesser consideration.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Thats exciting! Let me know how it goes.

Hopeforchange, thanks for the advice! I will keep that in mind through this process.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Hopeforchange, great post. Thanks for the advice.

I'd also like to add that when I called the admissions office to switch from ED to RD (due to the binding agreement), Linda at admissions was very pleasant and accomodating. I'll remember to call again later in the admissions cycle if I still haven't heard anything.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Bump.

Did everyone else get the "Pitt Law - Clinical Experience" email last week? I got it on 10/27.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:12 pm

I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and would be happy to practice law in Pittsburgh, but my numbers are a little above Pitt...

I haven't decided what I'm doing... I figured I'll choose my top choice for which I got accepted in and then weigh it against the probable scholly I get from Pitt, so really a lot of this depends on how much $ Pitt gives me

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:17 pm

I don't think I got an email. I really can't remember, though.

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:As someone advised me last year, if they are sitting on your app for some time (and yes, just because you're "under review" doesn't mean it isn't sitting in a pile nowhere close to the admissions committee), call and tell them you're very interested in Pitt and was wondering when you might hear a decision. I did this and then sent a LOCI even though I wasn't waitlisted and I was in two days later. In any case, it is still early in the game. Just a note at this point that being under review means that you're in a pile by an admission staff member's desk most of the time.

This doesn't really apply to people whose credentials (mainly great LSAT score for Pitt and a fair enough GPA) or people who have a crap GPA. I'd say this applies if you have a mediocre or slightly above or below mediocre LSAT score for Pitt. Again though, your UG GPA has to be ok. I'd say above 3.0 makes you safe. Obviously the higher the better.

In any case, even if you have a great LSAT score or a crappy one, Pitt wants to know they aren't wasting their admissions offer. Show you want Pitt, not that they were one of many considerations and perhaps a lesser consideration.
This is very credited. I applied later and they were sitting on my app. I went into the admissions office, told them in no uncertain terms that if I was accepted I would attend, and the next day I was in. Best of luck to everyone and feel free to ask any questions.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:22 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and would be happy to practice law in Pittsburgh, but my numbers are a little above Pitt...

I haven't decided what I'm doing... I figured I'll choose my top choice for which I got accepted in and then weigh it against the probable scholly I get from Pitt, so really a lot of this depends on how much $ Pitt gives me
Pitt doesnt give Schollies bigger than 14k a year, so thats prolly gunna hurt your desire to go there, depending on your numbers.

Im a 1L at Pitt, and they were by far the most frustrating school to wait for. I applied there first and got their decision last. They take forever in their decision making process.

fwiw, I really like it here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:25 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and would be happy to practice law in Pittsburgh, but my numbers are a little above Pitt...

From Pittsburgh as well, but I am in a similar boat in regards to numbers. Undecided whether or not to apply. It seems like a waste sense they only do half rides.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:27 pm

bport hopeful wrote:

Pitt doesnt give Schollies bigger than 14k a year, so thats prolly gunna hurt your desire to go there, depending on your numbers.

Im a 1L at Pitt, and they were by far the most frustrating school to wait for. I applied there first and got their decision last. They take forever in their decision making process.

fwiw, I really like it here.
Yes I think Pittsburgh is a wonderful city to live. Their in-state rates definitely make them favorable too.. If I could get that 14 K, I'd be getting a legal education 10 k a year in a city I enjoy. That might end up overcoming some of the higher ranked schools in which I'd be paying insane tuition

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:28 pm

top30man wrote:

From Pittsburgh as well, but I am in a similar boat in regards to numbers. Undecided whether or not to apply. It seems like a waste sense they only do half rides.
Yea, it is not a waste for me... I'm really , really conflicted on what to do / wish they gave out bigger schollys. Idk, I'm just waiting to see how I do in this cycle then I'll come back to this dilemma later lol

Pitt appears to believe in "giving a little bit of scholarship $ to a lot, but don't give anyone a lot." I honestly think if they reversed this thinking they could raise their medians / rank. I think the school appeals to a decent amount of people and they should try harder to obtain students above their numbers.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:35 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
top30man wrote:

Yea, it is not a waste for me... I'm really , really conflicted on what to do / wish they gave out bigger schollys. Idk, I'm just waiting to see how I do in this cycle then I'll come back to this dilemma later lol

Pitt appears to believe in "giving a little bit of scholarship $ to a lot, but don't give anyone a lot." I honestly think if they reversed this thinking they could raise their medians / rank. I think the school appeals to a decent amount of people and they should try harder to obtain students above their numbers.
I agree with this. I think giving larger scholarships would really help their rank.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:02 pm

Im not in state either so its particularly rough. A 30k legal education isnt a bad deal if its in the cityyou want to be in. I hope to obtain in state next year, but we'll see what happens.

I would at least apply. Pitt was the worst ranked school I applied to, but I applied because I really loved it here. I turned down small schollies at T30s and dont regret it (admittedly this was at Emory). I guess what Im saying is I would apply if you have any desire to be here, because you never know how youre going to feel in 5 months when everything is on the table.

Also, if you have decent numbers, and prolly even if you dont theyll prolly give you a fee waiver if you ask for it.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:28 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Im not in state either so its particularly rough. A 30k legal education isnt a bad deal if its in the cityyou want to be in. I hope to obtain in state next year, but we'll see what happens.

I would at least apply. Pitt was the worst ranked school I applied to, but I applied because I really loved it here. I turned down small schollies at T30s and dont regret it (admittedly this was at Emory). I guess what Im saying is I would apply if you have any desire to be here, because you never know how youre going to feel in 5 months when everything is on the table.

Also, if you have decent numbers, and prolly even if you dont theyll prolly give you a fee waiver if you ask for it.
As a 1L you might now know, but do you know how 3L's and such are feeling about job prospects?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:20 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Im not in state either so its particularly rough. A 30k legal education isnt a bad deal if its in the cityyou want to be in. I hope to obtain in state next year, but we'll see what happens.

As a 1L you might now know, but do you know how 3L's and such are feeling about job prospects?
Honestly, I dont really know, Im not gunna be a good person to answer job prospect questions yet. I know theres some 2 and 3Ls roaming this site, Im sure theyll drop in sometime.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:28 am

People in general feel that job prospects are low, which is why they become gunners. Which is annoying. Why can't people act like good people?

At any rate, I think job prospects are as good as any non-high-demand job in this slow-growth economy. When the economy improves, legal job prospects will get better. Beyond that, making law review and networking is all you can do for yourself. I'd say that if law school is just something you want to do because you don't know what else to do, don't do it. I have wanted to be a lawyer for a long time - that's why I am at Pitt Law.

Also, as for Pittsburgh and legal jobs in particular, I'd say they are better than most smaller cities. DC, New York, and Boston have the most jobs. Smaller cities obviously have fewer jobs, but Pittsburgh has not survived the recession better than many cities. However, there are 8,000 attorneys in Allegheny County and unlike with most professions, attorneys rarely retire at 65 or younger. So, I'd say it is difficult to make it in the beginning, but I don't want to deter people - particularly since I am rolling the dice myself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 am

HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:People in general feel that job prospects are low, which is why they become gunners. Which is annoying. Why can't people act like good people?
fwiw, my section has no visable gunners. I mean some people work harder than other obviously, but no one dominates class discussion or anything, and everyone is super nice to one another.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:28 am

bport hopeful wrote:
HOPEFORCHANGE wrote:People in general feel that job prospects are low, which is why they become gunners. Which is annoying. Why can't people act like good people?
fwiw, my section has no visable gunners. I mean some people work harder than other obviously, but no one dominates class discussion or anything, and everyone is super nice to one another.
I consider myself an "under cover" gunner. I just am a grade whore / don't do anything that doesn't affect my grade (Ex. I don't participate in any class discussion really / ppl probably normally don't expect I've gotten all 4.0's since freshman year). I hate that fucking kid that just always raises his hand / appears to always be kissing the professor's ass (is this what is considered a typical "gunner" that is constantly mentioned on TLS )lol

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:37 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
I consider myself an "under cover" gunner. I just am a grade whore / don't do anything that doesn't affect my grade (Ex. I don't participate in any class discussion really / ppl probably normally don't expect I've gotten all 4.0's since freshman year). I hate that fucking kid that just always raises his hand / appears to always be kissing the professor's ass (is this what is considered a typical "gunner" that is constantly mentioned on TLS )lol
I mean theres some kids who definitely put the time in and work for their grades, dont get me wrong, but no one is constantly throwing their hand up or anything, or giving really douchey answers. I do believe my section is not your normal section though.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Post by HOPEFORCHANGE » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah, they aren't gunners in the overly eager class participant way. You will see. You're in the same section as me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”