Wake Forest 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jabberwock12

New

Re: Wake Forest 2012

Post by jabberwock12 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:35 am

tstyler98 wrote:A good chunk of my 3L friends have jobs lined up. Those that don't are mainly waiting on jobs that don't hire until closer to the end of the year or after the bar exam. Many more jobs are starting to do that because of the economy. And I think that is the case at most schools. I wouldn't worry too much. Hopefully the economy will improve significantly by the time you are in that position.
Good to know! I'm not too worried about the jobs thing because I know the economy is rough and I definitely don't expect a job to fall into my lap.

@tstyler98- Why did you choose Wake over other schools and how do you like it so far?

TichoBlanco

New

Post by TichoBlanco » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Seriously considering attending with 32k scholarship. My only concern, being from New Jersey and ultimately planning to practice in New Jersey, is that I will have a difficult time finding a job after graduation. I guess what I am wondering is if WF is enough of a brand name to firms outside of the south for me to find a job.

placencia

New

Post by placencia » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:34 pm

It travels...I don't know how many folks are looking in New Jersey, but I know people who have work basically from Texas to New York, and in between.

Bobby Kennedy

New

Post by Bobby Kennedy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 pm

justcallmerae wrote:
TopSider11 wrote:
jabberwock12 wrote:Okay so what did everyone think of the admitted students day today? I enjoyed it. I felt like there was a strong sense of community and the faculty really seemed to care about the students. However I was a little worried that many of the 3L's didn't have jobs lined up.
I was really impressed and am strongly considering Wake now. As an out of stater I was happy to see many students seem to attend from out of state and are able to find their way back to their home markets if they choose to do so. I thought the whole "show" was done really well and showed the class and intimacy Wake is known for. Like you I thought that one question kind of was a buzzkill in the sense that in reality the students didnt seem to be lined up for success but then again that could just be the fact that its March and employers are still gauging their upcoming needs. Thats just my speculation though as a 0L I have no idea how hiring practices work in this economy.
I agree with everything TopSider Said. Absolutely fantastic day, great area, and I really am considering Wake now as well.

As far as the concern about the 3Ls and jobs..it was really only the one person. The other guy said he's going to get a Masters in Journalism at Northwestern right? And the girl wants to work in the DAs office or another similar area of law, where they don't hire until AFTER they pass the Bar...so I don't think it's fair to judge based on those candidates. The third guy seemed like he had options but just hadn't decided. I spoke to a handful of 3Ls throughout the day, who all had jobs, and one even mentioned they had multiple offers along the east coast and had just narrowed it down and picked one last week.
Hey there - I'm that "third guy" from the student panel. 8) Many of my 3L classmates already have employment lined up. My story is that I was a biglaw summer associate and was put "on hold" after a dip in the need for business counseling associates. The market has since recovered, but I decided that being put on hold was kind of a sign and that I should pursue what I'm actually interested in - banking. So I'm working that angle right now. You're right on - I do have options... I just haven't decided yet.

I would have told the whole story, but by that time I'm sure people were tired of hearing us speak. Prime rib = food coma.

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 am

Hope you guys liked all of my hearts at the last ASD ;)

Was not planned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 am

Who else will be at the ASD on March 23rd? I'm really excited to make another trip up to my future home :)

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 am

ash0117 wrote:Who else will be at the ASD on March 23rd? I'm really excited to make another trip up to my future home :)
I'll see you there!

jimmyjamXII

New

Post by jimmyjamXII » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:51 am

Did anyone else notice Wake's drop in the 2013 US News rankings? Wake is down to 44.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+2
Last edited by jimmyjamXII on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

panthersig

New

Post by panthersig » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:54 am

Bashy wrote:
ash0117 wrote:Who else will be at the ASD on March 23rd? I'm really excited to make another trip up to my future home :)
I'll see you there!
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:05 pm

jimmyjamXII wrote:Did anyone else notice Wake's drop in the 2013 US News rankings? Wake is down to 44.

I really don't think it's too much to worry about. We were in a bunch of ties last year, and it's pretty much the same this year. Absent any major changes, Wake's general position will usually be somewhere between 35 and 45. The same employers that came last year to OCI should still show up this year. I doubt they jump ship because of a few spots. If something happens to cause the school to drop into the 50s or below, then you might want to worry. Until then, it's the same fluctuation that happens every year, and I wouldn't worry about it.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
jimmyjamXII wrote:Did anyone else notice Wake's drop in the 2013 US News rankings? Wake is down to 44.

I really don't think it's too much to worry about. We were in a bunch of ties last year, and it's pretty much the same this year. Absent any major changes, Wake's general position will usually be somewhere between 35 and 45. The same employers that came last year to OCI should still show up this year. I doubt they jump ship because of a few spots. If something happens to cause the school to drop into the 50s or below, then you might want to worry. Until then, it's the same fluctuation that happens every year, and I wouldn't worry about it.
Is the NALP OCI for Wake Forest reflective of the number of employers at OCI? 41?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Gail wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Is the NALP OCI for Wake Forest reflective of the number of employers at OCI? 41?
NALP actually shows 44 offices (not individual employers) on campus most recently, but I'd say it was considerably higher than that (maybe 50 or so independent firms). I know that quite a few firms that show up aren't NALP firms, and some other firms just don't put their recruiting information, like where they recruit, in the NALP form (so they don't show up either). Also, if you also include firms that just do resume collects and things like that, it is considerably higher. I don't think the resume collects should be seen as a negative either since one of my SA positions for this summer was a result of that. Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:15 am

jabberwock12 wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:A good chunk of my 3L friends have jobs lined up. Those that don't are mainly waiting on jobs that don't hire until closer to the end of the year or after the bar exam. Many more jobs are starting to do that because of the economy. And I think that is the case at most schools. I wouldn't worry too much. Hopefully the economy will improve significantly by the time you are in that position.
Good to know! I'm not too worried about the jobs thing because I know the economy is rough and I definitely don't expect a job to fall into my lap.

@tstyler98- Why did you choose Wake over other schools and how do you like it so far?
I will answer in a day or two. I'm on Spring break with only my phone, and I don't want to write an answer on my phone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Hey guys,
What sort of stats are required for a full ride, assuming decent softs? If I have LSAT and GPA above the 75th percentiles (LSAT well above, GPA slightly above) and apply tonight, do you think I still have any shot of getting scholarship money?

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Geneva wrote:Hey guys,
What sort of stats are required for a full ride, assuming decent softs? If I have LSAT and GPA above the 75th percentiles (LSAT well above, GPA slightly above) and apply tonight, do you think I still have any shot of getting scholarship money?
It changes from year to year, but this year it was 166+/3.7+

So two points above the 75th and a .1 above the GPA median.

It really does fluctuate radically though. Look at UIUC and compare this year to last year.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Gail wrote:
Geneva wrote:Hey guys,
It changes from year to year, but this year it was 166+/3.7+

So two points above the 75th and a .1 above the GPA median.

It really does fluctuate radically though. Look at UIUC and compare this year to last year.
If you apply now, you'll probably get accepted and might get a little scholarship money, but I don't think you would get a full ride this late in the game. If you had applied very early on, that would have helped tremendously for scholarships.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Right. I was thinking Geneva was a junior or just looking into ls right now and planning to apply again. Not sure its worth it to apply anywhere new at this point

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:56 am

Gail wrote:Right. I was thinking Geneva was a junior or just looking into ls right now and planning to apply again. Not sure its worth it to apply anywhere new at this point
haha, i applied a few hours ago and just noticed this. oh well, there goes $16. people told me applying late january and out of state meant zero hope for berkeley, but i somehow got in, so maybe i'll get lucky again? i didn't send out any apps until january bc i somehow took the deadlines at face value...oops

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:12 am

jabberwock12 wrote:

My story is a long story, but in short...I originally planned to go part-time while working full-time as I had a career in DC. I got into George Washington and George Mason and was planning to attend George Washington in Fall 2009. My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer so I deferred for a year, and decided to apply to schools closer to home in NC. I got accepted at Wake and waitlisted at Chapel Hill (though by the time I got waitlisted at UNC I didn't care and wanted to go to Wake anyway).

I chose Wake because I really liked the school's size, the clinical opportunities, and how great the admissions people were. Overall, I'm very glad with my choice. I really like Wake. I like the small class size, especially because I feel like I know a majority of the students (including those not in my year). The faculty and staff are great, and students are generally always willing to help out.

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Anyone know or expect to hear anything today??

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:25 pm

applied on 3/15, application under review on 3/16.
when are the admitted student weekends? hopefully ill get an answer before it's too late to visit:)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:59 pm

TichoBlanco wrote:Seriously considering attending with 32k scholarship. My only concern, being from New Jersey and ultimately planning to practice in New Jersey, is that I will have a difficult time finding a job after graduation. I guess what I am wondering is if WF is enough of a brand name to firms outside of the south for me to find a job.
it's not unless u r pretty close to the top of the class. i'd recommend going to the school where u want to practice. unless u r looking at t14 schools (and even then), region still matters. i.e. i have a friend from texas who chose uva over tx bc of the rank. he's having a hard time finding employment there even though he went to ug there. the question he is often asked is "why didn't u go to ut? why uva?"

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Geneva wrote:applied on 3/15, application under review on 3/16.
when are the admitted student weekends? hopefully ill get an answer before it's too late to visit:)
I'm going to ASD next Friday- 3/23. I do think that there is at least one in April though. If you don't get in on time, I would still suggest visiting the school on your own. They are very accommodating and were great when I was there for a tour on a random day when I was in NC. Seeing Wake and talking to the staff and students cemented the love that I had for it!

Edited to add: Here is the link to the calendar of events page for the last ASD. It is 4/14. http://law.wfu.edu/calendar/2012/04/14/9598/

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:32 pm

ash0117 wrote:
I'm going to ASD next Friday- 3/23. I do think that there is at least one in April though. If you don't get in on time, I would still suggest visiting the school on your own. They are very accommodating and were great when I was there for a tour on a random day when I was in NC. Seeing Wake and talking to the staff and students cemented the love that I had for it!

Edited to add: Here is the link to the calendar of events page for the last ASD. It is 4/14. http://law.wfu.edu/calendar/2012/04/14/9598/
THANK YOU:)

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Geneva wrote:
ash0117 wrote:

THANK YOU:)
Sure thing!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”