Case Western 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kyle010723

Silver

Re: Case Western 2015

Post by kyle010723 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Congratulation!

That being said, it raises a somewhat concerning point, if Case is this eagerly willing to increase scholarship, I hope this does not imply they are having a difficult time recruiting this year's class.

Case1L

New

Post by Case1L » Sun May 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Kyle, given the significant decline in the number of LSAT test takers this year, I assume that most schools outside the top 20 are having some level of difficulty recruiting the incoming Class of 2015. With that said, Dean Mitchell mentioned in the law school newspaper that the number of applicants this year is on par with last year. This is excellent news because law schools across the board have seen declines in the number of applicants.

As for the merit scholarship increases, Dean Mitchell received a large amount of money when he became dean from the President of Case Western to attract students with high scores. I don't see the increases as a negative but rather I see them as signs of aggressive recruiting of highly capable students. If Case wants to rise in the rankings, it will need to hand out lots of money to attract the best students it can. All schools use scholarships to attract top students. Dean Mitchell's budget allows him to hand out even more money this year.

lucky Class of 2015.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Case1L wrote:Kyle, given the significant decline in the number of LSAT test takers this year, I assume that most schools outside the top 20 are having some level of difficulty recruiting the incoming Class of 2015. With that said, Dean Mitchell mentioned in the law school newspaper that the number of applicants this year is on par with last year. This is excellent news because law schools across the board have seen declines in the number of applicants.

As for the merit scholarship increases, Dean Mitchell received a large amount of money when he became dean from the President of Case Western to attract students with high scores. I don't see the increases as a negative but rather I see them as signs of aggressive recruiting of highly capable students. If Case wants to rise in the rankings, it will need to hand out lots of money to attract the best students it can. All schools use scholarships to attract top students. Dean Mitchell's budget allows him to hand out even more money this year.

lucky Class of 2015.
Thanks! I really appreciate that insightful perspective, I knew application dropped significantly this year, but did not know how that impacted Case.

scrollend2003

New

Post by scrollend2003 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:57 pm

The Class Facebook page is now live! --LinkRemoved--

caller10

New

Post by caller10 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:18 pm

scrollend2003 wrote:The Class Facebook page is now live! --LinkRemoved--
awesome, lol I'm glad somebody got around to making this group :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rags

New

Post by rags » Mon May 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Any one else still waiting to hear back?
I have been in review 2/2 since Feb 9th.

I've called and emailed but they can't give me an eta on a decision.

OhioU26

New

Post by OhioU26 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:24 pm

wait listed.. does anyone have any idea what the chances of me being accepted are or should i just accept another offer?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:49 pm

OhioU26 wrote:wait listed.. does anyone have any idea what the chances of me being accepted are or should i just accept another offer?
Sorry to hear bud, you can always deposite somewhere else, and send in LOCI and etc if you are serious about Case being your top choice.

legalsinger

New

Post by legalsinger » Mon May 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Offered me 5k/yr. Looks like I'll be headed to UC and save myself about 20k/yr. Bummer!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mekopeach

New

Post by mekopeach » Tue May 08, 2012 9:44 am

legalsinger wrote:Offered me 5k/yr. Looks like I'll be headed to UC and save myself about 20k/yr. Bummer!
How long did it take for you to find out about $$?

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Wed May 09, 2012 12:31 am

mekopeach wrote:
legalsinger wrote:Offered me 5k/yr. Looks like I'll be headed to UC and save myself about 20k/yr. Bummer!
For me about a week or a week and a half . . .

mekopeach

New

Post by mekopeach » Wed May 09, 2012 12:33 pm

shintopig wrote:
mekopeach wrote:
Thxxxxx! Before/after deposit?

mekopeach

New

Post by mekopeach » Wed May 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Just got the letter confirming $$, not so much $10K....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OhioRider22

New

Post by OhioRider22 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Case1L wrote:As for the merit scholarship increases, Dean Mitchell received a large amount of money when he became dean from the President of Case Western to attract students with high scores. I don't see the increases as a negative but rather I see them as signs of aggressive recruiting of highly capable students. If Case wants to rise in the rankings, it will need to hand out lots of money to attract the best students it can. All schools use scholarships to attract top students. Dean Mitchell's budget allows him to hand out even more money this year.

lucky Class of 2015.
Definitely this. I for one am happy that Dean Mitchell is being so aggressive with scholarship funds, not only because I have personally benefited, but because it means he's really trying to get the best students and move up in the rankings. (But I'm mostly happy because I have personally benefited, haha)

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Wed May 09, 2012 11:52 pm

mekopeach wrote:
shintopig wrote:
mekopeach wrote:
Thxxxxx! Before/after deposit?
I haven't put my deposit in as of yet, so before the deposit. And when you get any scholarship your deadline gets extended.

Case1L

New

Post by Case1L » Thu May 10, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm glad to see so many prospective students intending to attend Case this fall. I'm one day away from the end of my 1L year, and I am pretty excited to end such an interesting and exciting year at Case. 1L year is pretty work intensive and nerve wracking to say the least. Dean Mitchell has done an excellent job of fundraising (hence more money for the incoming class) and improving faculty morale. Since Case is running on all cylinders now, I hope to see Case rise in the rankings.

For all the prospective 1L students, Case is in a good location. Case is the second best law school in Ohio after Ohio State. You can attend American University in DC, a first tier school, but competition in DC is fierce. You will have to compete with Georgetown, GW students as well as students from the top 14 schools looking to work in DC. Take a look at your competition and peer schools in the area before you commit to a school. Even attending American University in DC is a bad choice given the level of competition. I had to choose between AU and Case for law school. I chose Case because of its generous scholarship and reputation as the 2nd best school in Ohio.

I can't say that Case is worth sticker price, few schools outside the top 14 are worth sticker. For what I'm paying at Case, I really think that I'm getting a good deal in terms of academics and opportunities. I think all of you will too.

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Thu May 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Case1L wrote:I'm glad to see so many prospective students intending to attend Case this fall. I'm one day away from the end of my 1L year, and I am pretty excited to end such an interesting and exciting year at Case. 1L year is pretty work intensive and nerve wracking to say the least. Dean Mitchell has done an excellent job of fundraising (hence more money for the incoming class) and improving faculty morale. Since Case is running on all cylinders now, I hope to see Case rise in the rankings.

For all the prospective 1L students, Case is in a good location. Case is the second best law school in Ohio after Ohio State. You can attend American University in DC, a first tier school, but competition in DC is fierce. You will have to compete with Georgetown, GW students as well as students from the top 14 schools looking to work in DC. Take a look at your competition and peer schools in the area before you commit to a school. Even attending American University in DC is a bad choice given the level of competition. I had to choose between AU and Case for law school. I chose Case because of its generous scholarship and reputation as the 2nd best school in Ohio.

I can't say that Case is worth sticker price, few schools outside the top 14 are worth sticker. For what I'm paying at Case, I really think that I'm getting a good deal in terms of academics and opportunities. I think all of you will too.
As much as a like Case, I hope you aren't hoping to work in D.C. I mean if you're set on working in Ohio or the Upper-MidWest then I agree that you chose well. But I mean if you're looking for more mobility or the opportunity to work in D.C. then I would have gone with American.

I mean it all depends on what you want. If you just want a well paying job and don't mind working in OH, then yeah Case is great. It has to compete with Cincinatti as well, don't forget that law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Fri May 11, 2012 12:48 am

shintopig wrote:
Case1L wrote:I'm glad to see so many prospective students intending to attend Case this fall. I'm one day away from the end of my 1L year, and I am pretty excited to end such an interesting and exciting year at Case. 1L year is pretty work intensive and nerve wracking to say the least. Dean Mitchell has done an excellent job of fundraising (hence more money for the incoming class) and improving faculty morale. Since Case is running on all cylinders now, I hope to see Case rise in the rankings.

As much as a like Case, I hope you aren't hoping to work in D.C. I mean if you're set on working in Ohio or the Upper-MidWest then I agree that you chose well. But I mean if you're looking for more mobility or the opportunity to work in D.C. then I would have gone with American.

I mean it all depends on what you want. If you just want a well paying job and don't mind working in OH, then yeah Case is great. It has to compete with Cincinatti as well, don't forget that law school.
Yeah, but Cinci covers more of the southern region whereas Case covers the north. They're practically different universes.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 am

shintopig wrote:

Case students don't have any issue getting jobs in DC. There are a ton of us going for the summer, and I'm sure there are a also a decent number with full time jobs. DC is a city that doesn't care what geographical location you are from. I have a pretty awesome PI gig in DC this summer, and I'm planning on going after I graduate. I really don't forsee being unemployed for the rest of my life - even with DC as my target market. Granted, I'm not going for biglaw, but, going to Case doesn't forclose a job there.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Fri May 11, 2012 9:24 am

puremorning wrote:
shintopig wrote:

Yeah, but Cinci covers more of the southern region whereas Case covers the north. They're practically different universes.

UC places most of its graduates in the greater Hamilton-Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky area, as well as to some extent Columbus and Dayton markets. Other those locations, UC has pretty low mobility. Case has, I would argue, better mobility because Case graduates are all over the state, and Case graduates for some reason do better in NYC market than OSU grads.

To the poster talking about working in DC, unless you end up at the top of your class, Case won't break you into the DC market. Even American these days is having a rough time competing with all the other DC feeder schools. I feel like the rule of thumb with the DC, Chicago, and to a lesser extent NYC markets is that you either need to do reasonably well at a higher ranked school (Georgetown, University of Chicago, Columbia respectively), or do really well at a mid-ranked school (American, Loyal/Kent, and Brooklyn) to have a good chance at employment post-graduation in these markets.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Fri May 11, 2012 9:26 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
shintopig wrote:

Case students don't have any issue getting jobs in DC. There are a ton of us going for the summer, and I'm sure there are a also a decent number with full time jobs. DC is a city that doesn't care what geographical location you are from. I have a pretty awesome PI gig in DC this summer, and I'm planning on going after I graduate. I really don't forsee being unemployed for the rest of my life - even with DC as my target market. Granted, I'm not going for biglaw, but, going to Case doesn't forclose a job there.

Really? DC market doesn't care? How so. Ability to get placement with internships in DC is not an indication of job prospects post-graduation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:35 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
shintopig wrote:

Really? DC market doesn't care? How so. Ability to get placement with internships in DC is not an indication of job prospects post-graduation.
Are you kidding? DC is the biggest melting pot in the country. People come there from all over the country. They don't hand out jobs specifically to DC law school grads. Because of our rank, you might have to work harder than someone at a t14 - but that doesn't mean you can't get a job there. If you have the work experience that makes you a good fit for a job in DC, you will get the job in DC. They won't reject you just because you go to Case.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Fri May 11, 2012 9:38 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
shintopig wrote:

You do realize that the person you're trying to correct is someone who goes to Case already and has found something in DC already, right?

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Fri May 11, 2012 6:38 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
shintopig wrote:

That's good to hear. Honestly though despite Case having decent success in placing graduates in the D.C. area (12/192 graduates with jobs in 2011), I would still go with American to work in D.C. (placed 193/388 grads with jobs in D.C. in 2011) simply because they're located there and thats their hometown. I mean again Case's 3rd largest job market is D.C. but by a significantly reduced margin in comparison to NYC or OH. So I agree with you, and great job getting your PI position, but I would play the odds and go to American if I was set on working in D.C.

And besides, if American is having a hard time placing its grads in D.C. over the George-Schools, it probably won't be any easier to do it from out of state and out of T-14.

(data from ABA - http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/)

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:54 pm

I'm not a Case student, but I'll be in Cleveland this summer for an SA gig. I have some supplements for sale if anyone is interested. I posted this in another thread - so 1L classes might not all be the same. I'd like to unload all of it for $125 - which is really a fraction of what I paid.

I have supplements for the following classes:

1L Courses
Criminal Law
Contracts
Civ Pro
Torts
Property
Constitutional Law

Upper Level Courses
Evidence
Bus Orgs
Estates and Trusts
Crim Pro

Also - Getting to Maybe, Law School Confidential, Guerrilla Tactics and other similar materials.

I'd like to sell it all for $125. If you only want some of it, I'm flexible. I'm in Pittsburgh until May 23rd, then I'll be in Cleveland for my SA until August 3rd - then back to Pittsburgh.

If you're interested or have any questions - PM me. For most of these classes, there are several supplements (there are 25 books total (E&E's, Emanuel Outlines, Crunchtimes, Seigel's MC) and 11 boxes of notecards - I think there might be a couple doubles of the notecards).

I know not everyone believes in using supplements, but they worked really well for me - esp the practice questions. Not all the books are the latest editions, but I think most of them are - it's what I used.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”