UCLA 2011-2012 (class of 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blurose

Bronze

Re: UCLA 2011-2012 (class of 2015)

Post by blurose » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:48 am

Larsey wrote:Got the call yesterday--off the wait list! Woohoo!
Congratulations!

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:26 pm

What do yall think about need based aid? I got need based ($$) from UCLA but scholarships (of similar amounts) from other peer schools. The only real difference I can find is that I'll have to reapply for the need based aid every year while scholarship/grant money is guaranteed all three years. I didn't get need based aid from any other school and was wondering if UCLA is different from other schools on this front. Does this have something to do with UC's mandate as a public university?

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 pm

barrotmartin wrote:What do yall think about need based aid? I got need based ($$) from UCLA but scholarships (of similar amounts) from other peer schools. The only real difference I can find is that I'll have to reapply for the need based aid every year while scholarship/grant money is guaranteed all three years. I didn't get need based aid from any other school and was wondering if UCLA is different from other schools on this front. Does this have something to do with UC's mandate as a public university?
I don't know about UCLA since I am still on the waitlist, but I was just admitted to UCI and spoke with their financial aid office this morning, and they said the same thing. I'm being considered for merit-based aid, which basically means the dean of admissions will decide if she wants to bribe me away from my other schools with a nice offer. Then I will also be considered for need-based aid. I asked if the two were mutually exclusive and she said no, I could receive both and, supposedly, one will not have an impact on the other. Whether that's really true or not is open to interpretation. I was under the assumption that need-based aid will be renewed as long as your need stays the same. I was recently informed that a private school to which I was admitted gives less need-based aid for 2Ls and 3Ls, even if the need is the same. The UCs may operate differently since they are public. Which is all to say that I don't know if your need-based aid will renew, but if you apply for both and negotiate hard based on other offers you may have received, you might get something in both categories. Oh, and is the scholarship money you were offered renewable with stipulations? Because that's a big "if."

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Unfortunately I accepted enrollment before receiving a peer school's offer that was a stip-less scholarship of the same amount. The only difference was that UCLA's offer was need based and the other was a scholarship. Anyone here have experience with this?

I realize it's too late to neg based on that scholarship. But I do wonder if UC's public mandate requires its schools to use the language of 'need based' while still essentially being a stable scholarship in practice. Have students' need based scholarships really fluctuated year to year? Barring inheritance I can't imagine anyone's assets significantly changing while in law school.

vto35

Bronze

Post by vto35 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:42 pm

barrotmartin wrote:Unfortunately I accepted enrollment before receiving a peer school's offer that was a stip-less scholarship of the same amount. The only difference was that UCLA's offer was need based and the other was a scholarship. Anyone here have experience with this?

I realize it's too late to neg based on that scholarship. But I do wonder if UC's public mandate requires its schools to use the language of 'need based' while still essentially being a stable scholarship in practice. Have students' need based scholarships really fluctuated year to year? Barring inheritance I can't imagine anyone's assets significantly changing while in law school.

mine will definitely change because I have a full time job right now so my fafsa will change significantly next year after not working for half a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 am

barrotmartin wrote:What do yall think about need based aid? I got need based ($$) from UCLA but scholarships (of similar amounts) from other peer schools. The only real difference I can find is that I'll have to reapply for the need based aid every year while scholarship/grant money is guaranteed all three years. I didn't get need based aid from any other school and was wondering if UCLA is different from other schools on this front. Does this have something to do with UC's mandate as a public university?
A couple of 2Ls/3Ls I spoke with at UCLA told me that they received more money their 2L/3L year. Of course, if you got the 20K max, it can't go up.

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:49 am

Golden Bear 11 wrote: A couple of 2Ls/3Ls I spoke with at UCLA told me that they received more money their 2L/3L year. Of course, if you got the 20K max, it can't go up.
Oh word. I didn't realize there is a 20k max. Did you hear that from students or is it on the finaid site?

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:02 am

barrotmartin wrote:
Golden Bear 11 wrote: A couple of 2Ls/3Ls I spoke with at UCLA told me that they received more money their 2L/3L year. Of course, if you got the 20K max, it can't go up.
Oh word. I didn't realize there is a 20k max. Did you hear that from students or is it on the finaid site?
I saw the number on the ucla website. and from what i've seen on tls, i don't think i've seen over 20K/year.

der_saeufer

New

Post by der_saeufer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm

blurose wrote:I asked if the two were mutually exclusive and she said no, I could receive both and, supposedly, one will not have an impact on the other. Whether that's really true or not is open to interpretation. I was under the assumption that need-based aid will be renewed as long as your need stays the same. I was recently informed that a private school to which I was admitted gives less need-based aid for 2Ls and 3Ls, even if the need is the same. The UCs may operate differently since they are public. Which is all to say that I don't know if your need-based aid will renew, but if you apply for both and negotiate hard based on other offers you may have received, you might get something in both categories. Oh, and is the scholarship money you were offered renewable with stipulations? Because that's a big "if."
At UCLA anyway, need-based aid is (according to admissions and fin aid) based on a formula that takes into account income and assets (yours and parents' if you're under 30 on the first day of the academic year) but does NOT take into account any merit-based aid you receive from UCLA. The Need Access application asks about outside scholarships but specifically says not to include any other funding from the school.

UCLA Fin Aid said that need-based aid should not change significantly in subsequent years unless your finances do.

Need and merit aid are definitely not mutually exclusive at UCLA; I know a number of people receiving both. They come from different funding sources and are awarded separately, though--merit $$ is awarded for 3 years with the only string attached being not getting kicked out. Need $$ is awarded yearly based on Need Access.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joetheplumber

Bronze

Post by joetheplumber » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:28 am

anybody doing the mentorship program. Any insights to that?

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:26 am

See you all in the Fall. Finally made my decision.

SusanWright

New

Post by SusanWright » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 am

Is there a UCLA Class of 2015 facebook group?

worksmart

New

Post by worksmart » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:56 am

joetheplumber wrote:anybody doing the mentorship program. Any insights to that?
I did the mentorship program and plan to be a mentor next year. It isn't going to revolutionize your 1L experience; however, if you're like me and want to be able to ask (dumb) questions of someone who has been there, it's great. My mentor was fantastic and helped me get outlines, reassured me when I had a bad week (you will ALL have a bad week...if you're lucky you'll only have one), and was just a nice person to stop and chat with at school. It isn't a huge commitment and is basically what you make of it, so you really have nothing to lose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bobloblawlawblog89

New

Post by bobloblawlawblog89 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:35 am

What are people doing for housing? I visited the campus, but since I am out-of-state, any insight would be appreciated.

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:20 am

Ugh, I just applied for housing and it did not go well. I love UCLA but I don't think I fully appreciated my other schools saying they guarantee on-campus housing for all law students. I got an offer of housing but it's definitely not what I want and I don't plan to accept. Has anyone else had better luck getting the on-campus housing they want, this late in the cycle? I am guessing all the good places were taken a while ago.

lyric123

New

Post by lyric123 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:37 pm

blurose wrote:Ugh, I just applied for housing and it did not go well. I love UCLA but I don't think I fully appreciated my other schools saying they guarantee on-campus housing for all law students. I got an offer of housing but it's definitely not what I want and I don't plan to accept. Has anyone else had better luck getting the on-campus housing they want, this late in the cycle? I am guessing all the good places were taken a while ago.

I'm at 2L at UCLA, and lived in Weyburn last year. What was your offer/why don't you like it?

blurose

Bronze

Post by blurose » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:51 pm

lyric123 wrote:
blurose wrote:Ugh, I just applied for housing and it did not go well. I love UCLA but I don't think I fully appreciated my other schools saying they guarantee on-campus housing for all law students. I got an offer of housing but it's definitely not what I want and I don't plan to accept. Has anyone else had better luck getting the on-campus housing they want, this late in the cycle? I am guessing all the good places were taken a while ago.

I'm at 2L at UCLA, and lived in Weyburn last year. What was your offer/why don't you like it?
I was offered a two-bedroom apartment at Weyburn. I requested a studio. I spoke to someone and it seems all the studios are taken and it's rare that people give up their spots, but that I can accept the original offer and petition to change it, though the odds of that happening are unlikely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lyric123

New

Post by lyric123 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm

blurose wrote:
lyric123 wrote:

I was offered a two-bedroom apartment at Weyburn. I requested a studio. I spoke to someone and it seems all the studios are taken and it's rare that people give up their spots, but that I can accept the original offer and petition to change it, though the odds of that happening are unlikely.
Oh yeah that sucks. There aren't as many studios. I had a two-bedroom though, which worked out really well because my roommate was awesome and ended up being my best friend.

der_saeufer

New

Post by der_saeufer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:25 pm

I was on the guarantee list and got my offer with the other guaranteed people... but it was also for a two-bedroom flat even though I requested a studio. At the price they get for those vs. rents even 2 miles from campus, I felt like I had to turn it down. Now I have to decide whether to commute from the 714 or find a place in Palms, Culver, Santa Monica, etc.
SusanWright wrote:Is there a UCLA Class of 2015 facebook group?
This would be helpful for finding housing to share... studio apartments on the Westside are way more expensive than sharing a 2-3 bedroom place; more so than in most places it seems like.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”