University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sammyk

Bronze

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Post by sammyk » Wed May 16, 2012 12:32 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:Time to move the waitlist more.
agreed

lawyerinwaiting

New

Post by lawyerinwaiting » Thu May 17, 2012 9:36 am

sammyk wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:Time to move the waitlist more.
agreed
+1

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri May 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Well, I officially withdrew from every other school. Minnesota it is!

I'm pretty pumped about joining you guys in the Fall! Minnesota is so cool, I actually get goose bumps. Love the city and love the school.

So, I have an app out for Gamma, but if that doesn't go my way, would anyone here be interested in sharing an apartment? I should know about Gamma next week, and I'm open to a 2,3, or 4 bedroom deal with fellow TLSers.

So, yeah. Excited. Anyone get their Law T-Shirt yet? I deposited awhile ago and haven't received it yet?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri May 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Awesome!!

Living at Gamma would be cool, glwt.

Have not gotten a shirt yet :P

C/O thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=180738

Swent88

New

Post by Swent88 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:34 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:daniel3.14: I think you make great points and as a 0L I appreciate their candid nature.

I completely understand your frustration about the exams. I just have to wonder if this experience is skewing your view towards the school in unrelated aspects. Would you have been this critical in the first semester before finals? Your comments, whether this is actually the case or not, appear to be rants stemming from resentment over getting screwed in your first semester.

It seems like you are pissed at UMN and all of a sudden you think the bathrooms are terrible, their program is fucked, the building is dilapidated, and it is the scum of the earth.

I suppose the point of this comment is to ask whether or not you are saying these things in objectivity ... I am just trying to determine if your complaints are legitimate or if you are like the kids in my undergrad classes who get an F on a test after not studying and claim the teachers are biased and grade unfairly.
As rising 2L, I agree. In my opinion much of that student's (clearly exaggerated) criticism stems from his disgruntled attitude about handwriting his exams. I've never had issues with insulation or wiring in the ceiling or spiders (wtf lol). The poop in the library has got to be a joke. Nor have I had issues with the bathrooms. Yes, the big lecture rooms don't have windows, but all of the smaller rooms do (which is where most of your classes will be), and the library is covered in windows. Personally, I don't choose a law school based on it's architecture; as long as it's comfortable (which it is), that's all that matters in terms of aesthetics.

Furthermore, although I don't want to cast blame for this unfortunate situation, I want to point out how incredibly unlikely (almost impossible) it is for students to miss downloading exams and hand write. I've taken eight exams, and never seen a hand writer. They send like six emails, starting a like 5 weeks before exams, with warnings, bold, all capitals etc. IF YOU DON'T DOWNLOAD YOU MUST HAND WRITE. And, if the system finds that the deadline is approaching and you still haven't downloaded, you get MORE personally directed emails warning you that you must download. You'd basically have to not check your email for a MONTH, which is unimaginable as many important communications from the administration and professors come by email. At a certain level, some personal responsibility needs to be taken here.

I'd also like to echo the response from the other 2L (page 1); my experience at the U has been excellent. Choosing to go to Minnesota Law is one of the best decisions of my educational life. I've met some of my best friends, and I've loved ALL of my classes and professors. The reputation of this school, which has always been great, seems to grow every year, and it's very highly respected in the Twin Cities, even if you aren't in the top quartiles. Although I'm above the median, I'm not "top of the class", and I got two legal jobs for the summer, one of them paid.

I just finished my 1L year, and I can assure everyone that P&P remains P/F class, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. I actually enjoyed the program a great deal and echo the positive comments below. That debacle last year actually demonstrates a great thing about the Administration -- they are responsive to student needs and complaints. It's a new program (started 3-4 years ago), and mistakes happen -- it has since been fixed.

Also, shout out to all the waitlist people out there, don't give up hope -- I got accepted in August :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon May 21, 2012 1:17 pm

Swent88 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:daniel3.14: I think you make great points and as a 0L I appreciate their candid nature.

I completely understand your frustration about the exams. I just have to wonder if this experience is skewing your view towards the school in unrelated aspects. Would you have been this critical in the first semester before finals? Your comments, whether this is actually the case or not, appear to be rants stemming from resentment over getting screwed in your first semester.

It seems like you are pissed at UMN and all of a sudden you think the bathrooms are terrible, their program is fucked, the building is dilapidated, and it is the scum of the earth.

I suppose the point of this comment is to ask whether or not you are saying these things in objectivity ... I am just trying to determine if your complaints are legitimate or if you are like the kids in my undergrad classes who get an F on a test after not studying and claim the teachers are biased and grade unfairly.
As rising 2L, I agree. In my opinion much of that student's (clearly exaggerated) criticism stems from his disgruntled attitude about handwriting his exams. I've never had issues with insulation or wiring in the ceiling or spiders (wtf lol). The poop in the library has got to be a joke. Nor have I had issues with the bathrooms. Yes, the big lecture rooms don't have windows, but all of the smaller rooms do (which is where most of your classes will be), and the library is covered in windows. Personally, I don't choose a law school based on it's architecture; as long as it's comfortable (which it is), that's all that matters in terms of aesthetics.

Furthermore, although I don't want to cast blame for this unfortunate situation, I want to point out how incredibly unlikely (almost impossible) it is for students to miss downloading exams and hand write. I've taken eight exams, and never seen a hand writer. They send like six emails, starting a like 5 weeks before exams, with warnings, bold, all capitals etc. IF YOU DON'T DOWNLOAD YOU MUST HAND WRITE. And, if the system finds that the deadline is approaching and you still haven't downloaded, you get MORE personally directed emails warning you that you must download. You'd basically have to not check your email for a MONTH, which is unimaginable as many important communications from the administration and professors come by email. At a certain level, some personal responsibility needs to be taken here.

I'd also like to echo the response from the other 2L (page 1); my experience at the U has been excellent. Choosing to go to Minnesota Law is one of the best decisions of my educational life. I've met some of my best friends, and I've loved ALL of my classes and professors. The reputation of this school, which has always been great, seems to grow every year, and it's very highly respected in the Twin Cities, even if you aren't in the top quartiles. Although I'm above the median, I'm not "top of the class", and I got two legal jobs for the summer, one of them paid.

I just finished my 1L year, and I can assure everyone that P&P remains P/F class, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future. I actually enjoyed the program a great deal and echo the positive comments below. That debacle last year actually demonstrates a great thing about the Administration -- they are responsive to student needs and complaints. It's a new program (started 3-4 years ago), and mistakes happen -- it has since been fixed.

Also, shout out to all the waitlist people out there, don't give up hope -- I got accepted in August :)

too long. Can I get the crib note version? Maybe a few pretty pictures.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue May 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Danial 3.14 is a bitter troll.

PSG, You have got to be kidding...

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Thu May 24, 2012 2:07 pm

SO happy they got rid of the mandatory laptop purchase!

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Tue May 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Withdrew today with $$. Good luck to those on the WL!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:16 am

Nammertat wrote:SO happy they got rid of the mandatory laptop purchase!

Ditto. That was majorly bringing me down.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:02 pm

I posted this in the CO 2015 thread, but you wait listers...

I deffered till next Fall, so good luck and hope a TLSer gets my 2012 spot!

See ya'll next cycle!!!

8)

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:35 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:I posted this in the CO 2015 thread, but you wait listers...

See ya'll next cycle!!!

8)
That was a sudden change, a couple of days ago you were looking for an apartment.

thatjuanguy

New

Post by thatjuanguy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:37 am

Anyone know when the U's second deposit is or is there only one?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:17 pm

thatjuanguy wrote:Anyone know when the U's second deposit is or is there only one?

How much was the first deposit? I am a waitlister.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:20 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:

How much was the first deposit? I am a waitlister.
750, I don't think there is a second deposit.

Jinomas

New

Post by Jinomas » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 pm

I thought the laptop program was a good idea. I'm sad to see it go.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Jinomas wrote:I thought the laptop program was a good idea. I'm sad to see it go.
You're the only one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:12 am

PolySuyGuy wrote:
BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:I posted this in the CO 2015 thread, but you wait listers...

See ya'll next cycle!!!

8)
That was a sudden change, a couple of days ago you were looking for an apartment.

Yep! Life throws crazy shit at you sometimes...

Jinomas

New

Post by Jinomas » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:12 am

Jaeger wrote:
Jinomas wrote:I thought the laptop program was a good idea. I'm sad to see it go.
You're the only one.
I saw it as a symbolic gesture--an equalizer--if everyone in the same class had to make it work with the same computer.

(And I felt relieved of having to make one extra decision during what has been chaotic and taxing period of life change.)

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Any movement on the waitlist? I feel like this guy right now.

BlondieNYC

New

Post by BlondieNYC » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:39 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:Any movement on the waitlist? I feel like this guy right now.

I feel you buddy. I'm on the same boat as you.
Hopefully we'll get that call soon.
I feel like Hulk sometimes, so I have to keep reminding myself to tame the beast.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 am

Nice article. Thanks for sharing.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:59 am

"At the University of Minnesota, the reduction is from 245 last year to about 220 this year."

I think I am number 221.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:00 pm

In like Flynn. Enough money to cover out of state.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”