What can I do Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lsatextreme

Silver

Re: What can I do

Post by lsatextreme » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:07 pm

BACK ON TOPIC: TC, if you were dismissed from a tier 4 law school for failure to maintain a 2.0, what do you think has changed this year? You don't sound like you failed out because you were immature and too busy partying, from one of your previous posts, it sounds like you're in your late 30s or something and you mention that English is your 2nd language. Have you taken a step back and thought about whether this is something you think you can really accomplish or are you just blindly attempting to do what you can?

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 pm

OP, obviously ignore some of the more demeaning comments - many TLS posters don't have negative intentions, but do impose the harsher side of reality sometimes excessively.

Schools vary in their policies on dismissals. It is in your best interest to call the specific schools you are interested in, prior to spending lofty application fees; remember to mention that it has been 2 years.

Also, make sure you study hard to improve your LSAT if you haven't done so already.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Romo: Your posts are insensitive & reflect inexperience. Sure you are an experienced poster on this website, but I doubt that you have even one day practicing law.
You've got a good schtick going. PM me and maybe we can coordinate?
Idk. I can see the argument here. Ole Miss, for example, is pretty cheap, and they seem to place pretty well in Mississippi. Admissions really only becomes competitive if you pursue 100k+ starting or want a city that the average person actually wants to live in.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:10 pm

dr123 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
dr123 wrote:dude there are regional T3 that arent so bad options.
True, that could maybe be an option. I really don't know whether or not there are T3s that give out full-rides to people with a 2.5, but maybe? I know there is a decent T3 school in my area that gives out full-rides to anyone with like a 160+, but I think you have to have a certain GPA to qualify.

But bumping your LSAT 5-10 points and going to a T3 at sticker is not a viable option.
Not really, a lot of T3 state schools in more rural states dont really give out scholarships and their tuition is typically more than reasonable.
The problem is that these types of schools are hyper-regional, and often lack any sort of viable legal market to place students into. So yes, they may be good for locals who have ties and all of that, and can go for cheap. But even if you're only taking out 60k or so for the degree, you're still taking a gamble. I don't think states like Montana and Mississippi have a great need for lawyers. I've heard horror stories of UF students (respectable T1 school) with good grades and even law review having a hard time finding jobs.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:11 pm

OP:

If you really want to be a lawyer, my advise is to man up and try harder.

Do not drink. Do not party. Do not jack off. Do not pass go.

Just study, study, study.

Suck it up, go to a flagship school like a Montana or something of the sort where you can pay relatively cheap tuition, find a legal job with your head low and if you make it there then come back to a bigger market.

I just think going a TTTT in a major city is suicide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dr123 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
True, that could maybe be an option. I really don't know whether or not there are T3s that give out full-rides to people with a 2.5, but maybe? I know there is a decent T3 school in my area that gives out full-rides to anyone with like a 160+, but I think you have to have a certain GPA to qualify.

But bumping your LSAT 5-10 points and going to a T3 at sticker is not a viable option.
Not really, a lot of T3 state schools in more rural states dont really give out scholarships and their tuition is typically more than reasonable.
The problem is that these types of schools are hyper-regional, and often lack any sort of viable legal market to place students into. So yes, they may be good for locals who have ties and all of that, and can go for cheap. But even if you're only taking out 60k or so for the degree, you're still taking a gamble. I don't think states like Montana and Mississippi have a great need for lawyers. I've heard horror stories of UF students (respectable T1 school) with good grades and even law review having a hard time finding jobs.
Fine but don't you think a Montana or Ole Miss is better than a New York Law, because of all the competition in New York?

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:12 pm

shit all of this is moot people, let's address the main point here. TC went to a tier 4 and failed to maintain a 2.0 and most likely it wasn't because he was dicking around. Even if he does raise his LSAT 50 points, how is anyone realistically recommending him to continue this route?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dr123 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Thats just not true. Have you ever been to a rural state? Sure there arent as many glamorous legal jobs, but there are definitely state jobs and at the very least people below median can findwork defending DUIs in some bumfuck town

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Why are people even seriously discussing an LSAT bump?

OP failed out of law school, I wouldn't even recommend him going back even if he scored a 180.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 pm

lsatextreme wrote:shit all of this is moot people, let's address the main point here. TC went to a tier 4 and failed to maintain a 2.0 and most likely it wasn't because he was dicking around. Even if he does raise his LSAT 50 points, how is anyone realistically recommending him to continue this route?
I'm sure as hell not. I don't think there is anything rude, condescending, or elitist, or whatever other word that people want to label me as for saying "Dude, you got a terrible LSAT, you have an atrocious GPA, you just got dismissed from another law school... time to change course." So yeah, you are right. OP, don't go to law school.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 pm

lsatextreme wrote:shit all of this is moot people, let's address the main point here. TC went to a tier 4 and failed to maintain a 2.0 and most likely it wasn't because he was dicking around. Even if he does raise his LSAT 50 points, how is anyone realistically recommending him to continue this route?
+1000. OP, Don't go to law school. Do something else.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 pm

bk187 wrote:Why are people even seriously discussing an LSAT bump?

OP failed out of law school, I wouldn't even recommend him going back even if he scored a 180.
I didn't check his post history. I didn't realize "dismissal" meant "dismissal from a law school." I thought maybe he was expelled from UG or something.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:17 pm

Isnt there a mandatory waiting period if you flunk out? if theywould take you?

anyways- i would think that if you flunked out once ( unless you had a major family catastrophe the day before finals, got super sick, or something of that serious nature) then it would be a sign that you ought to try another career.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:20 pm

It's hard for people to just give up on their dreams. I don't mean to seem rude, but it seems by the language that OP is foreign, and probably had dreams dating years back to be a big lawyer. It's hard to just give that up. People say that being a lawyer is a gateway to many different fields, but I think a lot of that is because people who can excel at things like the LSAT, college and make it through law school tend to be people who would likely also be cut out for grad school and business. Academia seems to go kind of hand in hand.

So what do you expect OP to do? Work at Ikea?

I think the more logical advice is for OP to sit down, and think long and hard about why they failed out of law school so they can know how/if things can be different next time.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Outta curiosity:

If one does fail out of law school, waits 5 years, comes back and finishes top 10%, do firms care they failed the first time?

Just want to assess if it's POSSIBLE (i.e. 1%) that OP finds success in law.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I didn't check his post history. I didn't realize "dismissal" meant "dismissal from a law school." I thought maybe he was expelled from UG or something.
Fair enough. Yeah this situation is bad.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:29 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:It's hard for people to just give up on their dreams. I don't mean to seem rude, but it seems by the language that OP is foreign, and probably had dreams dating years back to be a big lawyer. It's hard to just give that up. People say that being a lawyer is a gateway to many different fields, but I think a lot of that is because people who can excel at things like the LSAT, college and make it through law school tend to be people who would likely also be cut out for grad school and business. Academia seems to go kind of hand in hand.

I think the more logical advice is for OP to sit down, and think long and hard about why they failed out of law school so they can know how/if things can be different next time.
:roll: I have dreams of being a supermodel.... (but I'm about 4 inches too short, 30 lbs too heavy, and 10 years too old. OP should try something else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:It's hard for people to just give up on their dreams. I don't mean to seem rude, but it seems by the language that OP is foreign, and probably had dreams dating years back to be a big lawyer. It's hard to just give that up. People say that being a lawyer is a gateway to many different fields, but I think a lot of that is because people who can excel at things like the LSAT, college and make it through law school tend to be people who would likely also be cut out for grad school and business. Academia seems to go kind of hand in hand.

:roll: I have dreams of being a supermodel.... (but I'm about 4 inches too short, 30 lbs too heavy, and 10 years too old. OP should try something else.
Depending on where those 30 pounds are located, you might have a shot.

Source: Kim Kardashian.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:33 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:

Depending on where those 30 pounds are located, you might have a shot.

Source: Kim Kardashian.
Hey, I got my curves in the right places :wink: But still... one has to be realistic.

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:36 pm

OP: law isn't for everyone. I think you need to cut your losses. I would hate to see you in deep debt from law school, and say, not passing the bar, or not ever finding a job in law. You will put yourself in a position that you can't recover from.

There is a law school scam blog written by someone who went to Touro years ago - he never passed the bar and has never worked in law. His outstanding debt is now just under $300,000 (not exaggerating) and increased $6,000 in three months. I am not trying to be harsh - but I am trying to help you avoid this kind of situation.
Last edited by rose711 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 pm

rose711 wrote:

OP: law isn't for everyone. I think you need to cut your losses. I would hate to see you in deep debt from law school, and say, not passing the bar, or not ever finding a job in law. You will put yourself in a position that you can't recover from.
You're assuming OP can't be a supermodel along with a Texas girl with curves in all the right places. After the Playboy issue comes out, all debt should be covered.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sam66

New

Post by sam66 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey romo aka someone who is stuck on these messageboards because he couldn't get into any law school probably: Face it- you never even took the lsat- and if you did, you probably couldn't even reach the MEDIAN of 150. Yeah, that's right- 150 is the median considering 120 is the lowest and 180 is the highest- the median is actually 140-160. So, which is it? Did you get a 130 or a 135? haha you dumb minority.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 pm

sam66 wrote:Hey romo aka someone who is stuck on these messageboards because he couldn't get into any law school probably: Face it- you never even took the lsat- and if you did, you probably couldn't even reach the MEDIAN of 150. Yeah, that's right- 150 is the median considering 120 is the lowest and 180 is the highest- the median is actually 140-160. So, which is it? Did you get a 130 or a 135? haha you dumb minority.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:43 pm

is that from independence day? also, what is that picture entailing?

Montevillian

Bronze

Post by Montevillian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 pm

sam66 wrote:Hey romo aka someone who is stuck on these messageboards because he couldn't get into any law school probably: Face it- you never even took the lsat- and if you did, you probably couldn't even reach the MEDIAN of 150. Yeah, that's right- 150 is the median considering 120 is the lowest and 180 is the highest- the median is actually 140-160. So, which is it? Did you get a 130 or a 135? haha you dumb minority.
:| => :? => :shock: => :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”