School Deposits Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mediation_86

New

School Deposits

Post by mediation_86 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:46 am

Not sure if this would be the forum to ask, but I have heard schools will find out who you deposit with, at least for the 1st seat. Does this have an impact on schools that you are on the waitlist for?

Should I not deposit any money to any schools at all in efforts to show that I am determined to attend the waitlisted school?

Also, does one usually make a deposit for more than one school?

Hannibal

Gold

Re: School Deposits

Post by Hannibal » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:48 am

I think the new ABA rules changed some things, but traditionally you only deposit to one school but you can stay on the WLs of as many as you like.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:49 am

hmm this is surprising to me - I thought LSAC just distributes a list with students who double-deposited for the 2nd one.

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:58 am

mediation_86 wrote:Not sure if this would be the forum to ask, but I have heard schools will find out who you deposit with, at least for the 1st seat. Does this have an impact on schools that you are on the waitlist for?

Should I not deposit any money to any schools at all in efforts to show that I am determined to attend the waitlisted school?

Also, does one usually make a deposit for more than one school?
OMG it would be CRAZY not to deposit at a school to show that you want to go to the waitlisted school and not necessary. They expect you to deposit at another school. Some people double deposit but I believe it is reported that LSAC sends out a list at some time, not sure when but think it is when second deposit is due.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 am

What about for a school that doesn't need a deposit? (To piggyback on your thread...) I'm choosing between Penn and Boalt, and while the latter doesn't need a deposit until June, the former has a deposit deadline at the end of April. I won't get a chance to visit until May, so I thought I'd just deposit with Penn and lose the money if I decide otherwise...but if this is against the rules, I wouldn't want to do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:14 am

czelede wrote:What about for a school that doesn't need a deposit? (To piggyback on your thread...) I'm choosing between Penn and Boalt, and while the latter doesn't need a deposit until June, the former has a deposit deadline at the end of April. I won't get a chance to visit until May, so I thought I'd just deposit with Penn and lose the money if I decide otherwise...but if this is against the rules, I wouldn't want to do so.
I don't think this is against the rules. But if you decide you're set on Berkeley, I would tell Penn just before you deposit at Berkeley. :)

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:16 am

czelede wrote:What about for a school that doesn't need a deposit? (To piggyback on your thread...) I'm choosing between Penn and Boalt, and while the latter doesn't need a deposit until June, the former has a deposit deadline at the end of April. I won't get a chance to visit until May, so I thought I'd just deposit with Penn and lose the money if I decide otherwise...but if this is against the rules, I wouldn't want to do so.
Not sure, but it might be worth calling up Penn (and/or Berkeley) and discussing it with them, without naming the other school. Just ask them about their policy RE double deposits.

A few other things that might be relevant to your decision (and this thread in general)--according to r6, law schools start sharing deposit information on May 15, so they'll know if you have two deposits in beyond that date. Also, Penn Law will refund $250 of your $500 deposit if you withdraw by June 15, and $100 of the deposit if you withdraw by July 15.

dariamorgendorffer

New

Post by dariamorgendorffer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:27 am

Does anyone know what actually happens if two schools are notified that you have double deposited?

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:24 pm

I read on LSAC that they distribute the list in the middle of May with name/LSAC# of students who deposit at multiple schools. Is that normal? I have a first seat deposit due May 13th and am still waiting on financial aid info from both schools that I am interested in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:31 pm

The notification date (between schools) is May 15th. From LSAC:

Multiple-Deposit Notification

Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

Yes, it is normal. Schools have done this for awhile (though the definite date of May 15th may be more recent). Stay on as many WLs as you want, but probably try not to have 2 deposits down on that date.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:02 pm

how does it impact you when schools find out you have also deposited else where at the same time?

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:13 pm

red_alertz wrote:how does it impact you when schools find out you have also deposited else where at the same time?
I suppose one or both/all could revoke your admission... It sort of depends on what your deposit details are (I think a lot of them say you must withdraw at other schools you've been admitted to) and violating that would be good grounds for withdrawing their offer. You might get away with a slap on the wrist or warning.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”