Successful methods to get off wait-lists? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mce252

Silver

Re: Successful methods to get off wait-lists?

Post by Mce252 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Please go ahead and do it in case we're on the same waitlist.

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:22 pm

Last edited by bmili on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 pm

bmili wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
bmili wrote:
fragged wrote:It's hard to convince an adcomm that you will enroll if accepted, because your words are not binding. I wish they would just get over themselves and rank the friggin' waitlists so people know if they even have a shot.

What if you sent a check for a seat deposit along with your LOCI? Ballsy, yes, but has anyone tried?

They would just mail it back to you. And be frustrated in the process. And then take you off the waitlist.

I think you paint with too broad a brush, im sure you would have a varied response. But I would definately think it would should be a method of last resort.

No. There is a reason they put you on the waitlist. They want to WAIT until they fill as many seats with the best possible applicants. A deposit sent before you're asked for one is like sending a professor your grade before your exam.

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Last edited by bmili on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:44 pm

bmili wrote:A) Your professor/paper analogy is insufficient
B) There is a pecking order on a waitlist, a school will not arbitrarily draw your name out of a hat
C) What mailing a check would show is a financial commitment and attention (whether its good or bad)

It's a thought I threw out there, I am not applying this cycle. I was curious to see if anyone had ever done it.

Your idea was stupid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:45 pm

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:46 pm

B) There is a pecking order on a waitlist, a school will not arbitrarily draw your name out of a hat
C) What mailing a check would show is a financial commitment and attention (whether its good or bad)

It's a thought I threw out there, I am not applying this cycle. I was curious to see if anyone had ever done it.
There isnt necessarily a pecking order. If an applicant with a high lsat low gpa drops out, they try and fill the seat with a similar applicant. If a URM drops out, they will look for a URM. If a high gpa drops out, they will look for a high gpa. In general though, I think high lsats are more sought after than high gpas. Schools are always looking to push their lsat median up.

bmili

Bronze

Post by bmili » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 pm

bmili wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:

There isnt necessarily a pecking order. If an applicant with a high lsat low gpa drops out, they try and fill the seat with a similar applicant. If a URM drops out, they will look for a URM. If a high gpa drops out, they will look for a high gpa. In general though, I think high lsats are more sought after than high gpas. Schools are always looking to push their lsat median up.
That may very well be the case, but then why ever send an LOCI?
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm

bmili wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:

This is all avoiding the point. Schools receive deposits all the time from students who will never go to their school. It will leave an impression, but not a good one. Again, it's a stupid idea.

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:11 am

LOL, an Aggie speaking like he is an authority. I doubt we are on any of the same wait lists buddy.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:38 am

Mce252 wrote:
bmili wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:

This is all avoiding the point. Schools receive deposits all the time from students who will never go to their school. It will leave an impression, but not a good one. Again, it's a stupid idea.
True, but they don't receive deposits from applicants who are yet to be admitted. I'm not sure if it would work, but it would certainly lend credibility to a promise to attend if admitted.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:49 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:LOL, an Aggie speaking like he is an authority. I doubt we are on any of the same wait lists buddy.

Yeah, you're probably way out of my league.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:47 pm

tons of deposit deadlines today, folks. hopefully we can start to see some movement on monday.

xxinfinity

New

Post by xxinfinity » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:55 am

What's crazy is that Berkeley doesn't require a seat deposit so people have even been tapped on orientation day on the waitlist. You just never know.

Also they do rank people on the waitlist, but they told me they rank in May/June... seems strange since they probably would need to reread files to refresh their memory. I wonder if any of what they tell us is just conciliatory.

xxinfinity

New

Post by xxinfinity » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:56 am

also, though I might have already assumed the answer to this - do you guys recommend visiting the school b4 or after the school ranks you? I was just thinking if waiting till after - can see if it's worth it - but if I visit before, would it make a difference in my ranking?

Light

Bronze

Post by Light » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:09 am

I'm waitlisted at like 6 or 7 places. GULC sent me an email asking me to confirm my interest and notify them of deadlines - I informed them of the one I had in 2 weeks. I also added that I was still interested and would very much consider their offer if accepted. My whole email was just a couple sentences or so, and I got in a week later. The best and most prompt waitlist treatment I've got. My stats were also pretty competitive there so it wasn't a long shot.

It seems to me there isn't universally good advice about what to do when waitlisted. It depends on the school. For example, I plan to send a couple short LOCI's to some schools while other schools like UPenn suggest more essays - which I may do.

As far as saying "If accepted, I'll attend" I am wondering if it is more strategic to use this at a reach school or a school that you are more competitive at.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xxinfinity

New

Post by xxinfinity » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:32 pm

neptunestar

New

Post by neptunestar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

I know this prob varies by school but when is the earliest that some schools start reaching out to the WL?

Assuming a April 15th deposit deadline, is next too week too early to start hoping to hear?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Dance 'till the world ends.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:02 pm

neptunestar wrote:I know this prob varies by school but when is the earliest that some schools start reaching out to the WL?

Assuming a April 15th deposit deadline, is next too week too early to start hoping to hear?
Yes way too early. They will probably get to late applicants before they even get to waitlisted people unless you're on a special waitlist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:04 pm

If I retake in June and send them my scores at the beginning of July...I'd have a shot?

bubrubb

New

Post by bubrubb » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:40 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:LOL, an Aggie speaking like he is an authority. I doubt we are on any of the same wait lists buddy.
You're not one to talk when you got dinged at SCU....

xxinfinity

New

Post by xxinfinity » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:52 pm

Thanks callen!

callen7828 wrote:
xxinfinity wrote:sort of unrelated

but would anyone know - that if one goes to a school w/ a scholarship, if they decide to transfer out - do they have to pay that scholarship back? or is that only in the case if something is signed, like a promissory note?

thanks!
No you would not have to pay back a scholarship or grant.

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:52 am

bubrubb wrote:
You're not one to talk when you got dinged at SCU....
And I assume you are, Mr. 1 Post?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”