Denied - then admitted Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Denied - then admitted

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:42 pm

A year or two ago one university sent out dozens of decisions via e-mail that were incorrect. All were notified within a few days of the error. I am not certain but it may have been Georgetown undergraduate admissions. This incident was discussed at some length on another website devoted to college admissions.

@KingTaco: Was your friend denied, then admitted to Georgetown's undergraduate school or to the law school ? Thanks !

KingTaco

New

Post by KingTaco » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:A year or two ago one university sent out dozens of decisions via e-mail that were incorrect. All were notified within a few days of the error. I am not certain but it may have been Georgetown undergraduate admissions. This incident was discussed at some length on another website devoted to college admissions.

@KingTaco: Was your friend denied, then admitted to Georgetown's undergraduate school or to the law school ? Thanks !
Law. I do not think this was a widespread mistake.

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:08 am

I don't think mistaken rejections that were later amended to something else is really what the point of this was.

I am curious if someone actually got denied and then submitted some sort of appeal and then got accepted that same cycle by doing something (raising LSAT, winning Nobel Prize, etc) - but I would doubt it.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:20 am

Spookyghost wrote:I don't think mistaken rejections that were later amended to something else is really what the point of this was.

I am curious if someone actually got denied and then submitted some sort of appeal and then got accepted that same cycle by doing something (raising LSAT, winning Nobel Prize, etc) - but I would doubt it.

raised LSAT = apply next year ($80)

winning nobel prize = probably worth appealing ($5000 lawyer fees)

having sex with the dean's spouse for revenge = priceless

NotImportant

New

Post by NotImportant » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:00 pm

And the surprisingly entertaining thread of the year goes to...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:11 pm

rad law wrote:
red_alertz wrote:could happen, but rare, i suggest you appeal retake and reapply

+1

edgnarly

New

Post by edgnarly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Last edited by edgnarly on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:13 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
snaps wrote:
caligulove wrote:OP, I almost ignored this thread until I saw something I had to make right. You're use of hyphens is way off track. You should use them only to embed an aside within a sentence, like you would use two commas.

I almost ignored this until I saw something I had to make right. Your use of "you're" is way off track. You should not have used a contraction there.
+1000 on calling out d-bags who make fun of grammar on internet forums
And, fyi - you should be using em dashes, not hyphens. Hyphens are for intra-word orthography. (i dont know if orthography is the right word)

socal03

New

Post by socal03 » Sat May 21, 2011 6:58 pm

I actually called one of the schools I applied to because I was told via email that a decision had been made two weeks ago, but I never got an email or letter. The person that picked up, out of luck, was the associate dean of admissions and told me that I was denied...BUT then he told me that he's not sure why I was because when looking at my profile he thought I was a "strong candidate" so he changed my "denial" to "waitlisted." He told me that I should write a letter of reconsideration and send it to him. I'll keep you all posted if it works out. Just wanted to share that it is possible. Now I'm just trying to figure out what to write, so if you all have any suggestions I'd love to hear it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat May 21, 2011 8:04 pm

socal03 wrote:I actually called one of the schools I applied to because I was told via email that a decision had been made two weeks ago, but I never got an email or letter. The person that picked up, out of luck, was the associate dean of admissions and told me that I was denied...BUT then he told me that he's not sure why I was because when looking at my profile he thought I was a "strong candidate" so he changed my "denial" to "waitlisted." He told me that I should write a letter of reconsideration and send it to him. I'll keep you all posted if it works out. Just wanted to share that it is possible. Now I'm just trying to figure out what to write, so if you all have any suggestions I'd love to hear it!
Wow socal03, way to go and make this thread productive again... Ass

But really, good luck on your appeal. That would be really cool if everything works out for you

socal03

New

Post by socal03 » Sat May 21, 2011 8:30 pm

haha thanks jammasterj

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat May 21, 2011 11:51 pm

socal03 wrote:haha thanks jammasterj
Do you mind telling what school this was at?

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sat May 21, 2011 11:56 pm

caligulove wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
snaps wrote:
caligulove wrote:OP, I almost ignored this thread until I saw something I had to make right. You're use of hyphens is way off track. You should use them only to embed an aside within a sentence, like you would use two commas.

I almost ignored this until I saw something I had to make right. Your use of "you're" is way off track. You should not have used a contraction there.
+1000 on calling out d-bags who make fun of grammar on internet forums
edited. It's not making fun, but if this person is going to be a lawyer then they should probably use hyphens correctly, or not use them at all. If it was just a typo or "forum grammar" I wouldn't have said anything; their mistake indicated a severe misunderstanding as to how hyphens should be used. It was meant to be helpful. ya heard?
I almost ignored this thread until I saw something I had to make right. Your number agreement is atrocious. "Person" is singular. "They" is plural. For further support, if the sentence read "If the person is going to be a lawyer, they eat babies," we would surely agree that the verb "eat" was the third person plural (he eats, she eats, Bob eats vs. they eat, those people eat). Another example is the sentence "If anyone goes to NYLS at sticker, they are making a poor decision." Is anyone going to seriously contend that "are" is being correctly used as a singular verb there? Now someone might say that the 2nd person pronoun developed similarly, with just a plural form, and then started being used as a singular pronoun and the verb never changed. One key difference I see is that people aren't really using "they" in all situations as if they really believe it's singular. For example, you will never hear the sentence "Tom says that they like chocolate" where "they" is meant to refer to Tom.

EDIT- congratulations to the person who got waitlisted instead of rejected.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun May 22, 2011 2:51 am

I think we've established that Caligulove is either dumb or a flame

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”