Fordham(Full Tuition) vs. St. John's (free) vs.Brooklyn(1/3) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What would you do?

Brooklyn Full Ride Plus $5,000 living stipend
31%
St. John's Full Ride
15%
Fordham Sticker
40%
Cardozo 11K per year
14%

Total votes: 107

rocon7383

Bronze

Re: Fordham(Full Tuition) vs. St. John's (free) vs.Brooklyn(1/3)

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
jaredlevy wrote:153 and you're confident you're getting into Fordham? Must be very compelling "intangibles."

Are you Derek Jeter?
I scored a 166 on the test. He asked about my practice tests. My first practice score was 153. I was simply trying to show that I did put work in to get a 166
With a 166 you can get a decent scholly if you leave ny. I say eff the ny market and go somewhere else. Otherwise, retake.

With a 166/3.2 you'd probably be paying 16k/year for uga. Go work in hot lanta
or 18k/year for wake forest.
I wish it was that easy, haha. I have a longterm relationship with a girl who is a teacher in nyc, my family (who i do like, actually) all live here, and I love nyc and want to live here forever. So, you see, this is why I like Fordham. I understand and appreciate the merits of what you're saying but its just not for me.
Last edited by rocon7383 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:56 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:No. Based on everything I have read, and every conversation I have had, I was user the impression that is a nearly impossible feat coming from a non t-14."
I'm curious about your plan to get there, then. You'll be graduating from arguably the worst (St. John's) or third worst (BLS) law school in a city that's saturated with attorneys from literally 50 law schools who have a better chance at nabbing the AUSA "feeder jobs." Not saying it can't be done, but I am saying you're statistically setting yourself up for disappointment, and (if you go to Fordham) piles of debt.
This is all based off the premise that I can't get a biglaw job out of Fordham, which I know to be untrue, i have several friends (on my beerleague softball team ironically) who have graduated within the past 5 years from fordham making 160+
Last edited by rocon7383 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:56 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:No. Based on everything I have read, and every conversation I have had, I was user the impression that is a nearly impossible feat coming from a non t-14."
I'm curious about your plan to get there, then. You'll be graduating from arguably the worst (St. John's) or third worst (BLS) law school in a city that's saturated with attorneys from literally 50 law schools who have a better chance at nabbing the AUSA "feeder jobs." Not saying it can't be done, but I am saying you're statistically setting yourself up for disappointment, and (if you go to Fordham) piles of debt.
This is all based off the premise that I can't get a biglaw job out of Fordham, which I know to be untrue.
:lol: :lol:

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:58 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
This is all based off the premise that I can't get a biglaw job out of Fordham, which I know to be untrue.
Tyft

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:58 pm

how much debt for Fordham?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Mick Haller wrote:how much debt for Fordham?
135-140k. Commuting.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:19 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
135-140k. Commuting.
It's not ideal, but manageable. I'd probably attend Fordham.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Well the 50 schools you mentioned are not better than Fordham at getting these feeder jobs in NY. So I reject the "I am saying you're statistically setting yourself up for disappointment, AND (if you go to Fordham) piles of debt." That should be or!!!!! haha. Because after all, after the top 14 aren't you pretty much always statistically setting yourself up for failure the same way a baseball player always sets himself up to fail at the plate, statistically. Everyone has a 10% chance of being in the top 10% of their class.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:35 pm

rocon7383 wrote:Well the 50 schools you mentioned are not better than Fordham at getting these feeder jobs in NY. So I reject the "I am saying you're statistically setting yourself up for disappointment, AND (if you go to Fordham) piles of debt." That should be or!!!!! haha. Because after all, after the top 14 aren't you pretty much always statistically setting yourself up for failure the same way a baseball player always sets himself up to fail at the plate, statistically. Everyone has a 10% chance of being in the top 10% of their class.
I may be misunderstanding the substance of what you're getting at here, but if you think all students at the 10% level are equal (i.e. BLS and BC) or that by graduating from Fordham you're guaranteed a job in NYC--much less the type your posts in this thread suggest that you're shooting for--I fear you're deluding yourself. At most, you can bank on median grades at any law school, and should plan accordingly.

Also, many of those 50 schools I alluded to are better at getting you a job in NYC. For example, I'd wager that top 25% at Texas, Emory or GWU takes jobs from median Fordham students all day long. Same with top % students at schools well below Fordham's rank. Just because Fordham places above it's rank in big law does not mean going there gets you big law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:00 am

patrickd139 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:Well the 50 schools you mentioned are not better than Fordham at getting these feeder jobs in NY. So I reject the "I am saying you're statistically setting yourself up for disappointment, AND (if you go to Fordham) piles of debt." That should be or!!!!! haha. Because after all, after the top 14 aren't you pretty much always statistically setting yourself up for failure the same way a baseball player always sets himself up to fail at the plate, statistically. Everyone has a 10% chance of being in the top 10% of their class.
I may be misunderstanding the substance of what you're getting at here, but if you think all students at the 10% level are equal (i.e. BLS and BC) or that by graduating from Fordham you're guaranteed a job in NYC--much less the type your posts in this thread suggest that you're shooting for--I fear you're deluding yourself. At most, you can bank on median grades at any law school, and should plan accordingly.

Also, many of those 50 schools I alluded to are better at getting you a job in NYC. For example, I'd wager that top 25% at Texas, Emory or GWU takes jobs from median Fordham students all day long. Same with top % students at schools well below Fordham's rank. Just because Fordham places above it's rank in big law does not mean going there gets you big law.
We are definitely misunderstanding what the other says. My point about top 10% was only to say that going to any law school, outside of the very top institutions, is always statistically risky. But based on what type of law I want to practice, I find it more dangerous to take a full ride at a school like st. johns than full cost at Fordham due to job prospects, especially to those who fall out of the very top of their class.

I know that a student from GWU, Emory etc with a better ranking than a Fordham student could take a NYC job from them, and generally your rank reigns supreme at comparable schools, but there is no denying the enormous network Fordham has in New York.

Lastly, I know there isn't some predetermined causality between Fordham and biglaw, I apologize if that is how my point came across. I understand the apprehension regarding NYC schools not named NYU and Columbia but if you look at my post a little ways up on this thread you'll note that I am set on staying in New York for what I think are some good reasons.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
135-140k. Commuting.
It's not ideal, but manageable. I'd probably attend Fordham.

Closer to 130K actually, I was confusing its tuition with another school

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:23 pm

shameless bump

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:06 am

thecilent wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
Tyft
what does tyft mean?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlackSwan85

New

Post by BlackSwan85 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:19 am

While biglaw jobs can be had out of Fordham, they are quite hard to obtain ITE. Frankly, if I had to choose between these three options, I'd go with St. John. Your prospects won't be great but you'll at least have minimal debt to contend with.

Definitely do not choose Brooklyn. Not worth it in the slightest.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:29 am

BlackSwan85 wrote:While biglaw jobs can be had out of Fordham, they are quite hard to obtain ITE. Frankly, if I had to choose between these three options, I'd go with St. John. Your prospects won't be great but you'll at least have minimal debt to contend with.

+1 to all this as well as your moniker

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:23 pm

BlackSwan85 wrote:While biglaw jobs can be had out of Fordham, they are quite hard to obtain ITE. Frankly, if I had to choose between these three options, I'd go with St. John. Your prospects won't be great but you'll at least have minimal debt to contend with.

But isn't playing it safe and taking the scholarship just as monetarily risky? I mean, if I do just OK at St. John's, haven't i sort of set a cap on my future salary more or less? So yes, I won't be in debt, but I also may never have any money.

BlackSwan85

New

Post by BlackSwan85 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:34 pm

^Free guaranteed money now is better than circa 15 percent chance at biglaw money later. Odds out of Fordham aren't sufficiently greater to justify the extra investment. Really, it's that simple.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:46 pm

BlackSwan85 wrote:^Free guaranteed money now is better than circa 15 percent chance at biglaw money later. Odds out of Fordham aren't sufficiently greater to justify the extra investment. Really, it's that simple.
I understand your reasoning but I truly don't think its that simple. Fordham grads' chances at big law, while not high, are significantly better than St. Johns. Plus, even if BigLaw is not an option, a midsize firm in manhattan would be more inclined to take say a top 40% student from fordham instead of st.johns. I get that the lack of debt is enticing but if I were simply median at st.john's i fear i may fall into the abyss of windowless joyless law forever. (dramatic close, i know.)

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:46 pm

BlackSwan85 wrote:^Free guaranteed money now is better than circa 15 percent chance at biglaw money later. Odds out of Fordham aren't sufficiently greater to justify the extra investment. Really, it's that simple.
Also, its top 40% to keep scholly at st. johns. And I've had no luck negotiating stips.

BlackSwan85

New

Post by BlackSwan85 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:53 pm

If you're worried about maintaining top 40 percent at St. John, you definitely shouldn't feel confident about scoring 160k+ out of Fordham.

The best way to avoid abyss of joyless lawyering is to overcome LSAT aversion and retake.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Even if the op retakes:
1. Fordham is stingy on scholarships
2. Op most likely won't get NYU or Columbia

Op - either leave the NY market or take on massive risks in terms of scholarship retainment, debt, and employment prospects.

Fordham may seem like it's worth $130,000 now but you will regret it during your first year, even if you are top 25%. Things are not as simple as you are making them out to be.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:02 pm

BlackSwan85 wrote:If you're worried about maintaining top 40 percent at St. John, you definitely shouldn't feel confident about scoring 160k+ out of Fordham.

The best way to avoid abyss of joyless lawyering is to overcome LSAT aversion and retake.
I don't know why you, and many members of this site, have to go to the tired "if you're worried about being at the top of your class at a T2 don't even THINK about 160k/change your profession/blah/blah". Its lame. I don't intend to fall out of the top 40, but then again i've obviously never gone to law school before and i'm not a smuggy enough douche to just ASSUME i'll do terrific. I'm doing my due diligence worrying about the implications of losing my scholarship while weighing my decision.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:06 pm

BlackSwan85 wrote:If you're worried about maintaining top 40 percent at St. John, you definitely shouldn't feel confident about scoring 160k+ out of Fordham.

Doesn't St. John's section stack?

According to NALP, Fordham is the only non-T14 at which my former firm still participates in OCI. BigLaw isn't easy out of Fordham, but it's easier from there than from just about any other non-T14. Not sure if that translates to AUSA positions, too...
I think Fordham makes the most sense, especially since you won't need to take out loans for COL.
Have you asked to be considered for their PT program? Working during the day could help alleviate the debt. You'd definitely want to find a low key job, though, that allows you ample time to study.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Dude, it's totally incongruous to fret over losing a scholarship with 40 percent stipulation while maintaining optimism over your capability to score AIUSA/160k from Fordham. If you're worried over keeping that money, you should be doubly concerned with respect to your Fordham class rank.

Also, being outside of top 40 percent at St. John will at least leave you debt free. At Fordham, you would be in a tough spot both financially and employment wise.

Don't get annoyed because rational advice isn't in line with what you apparently want us to tell you.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Also, I'm pretty sure biglaw is easier out of places like UCLA and Vandy than Fordham. Being top quarter doesn't cut it there. Doesn't sound like a particularly safe investment to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”