New England Law 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ggx

New

New England Law 2014

Post by ggx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:42 am

Anyone seriously considering NEL:B for next year?

I got a significant scholarship, and I am very tempted to come out with little debt. I have been working in criminal law for almost 4 years now, and am staying at the small private firm I am at now through at least my first year if I go here. I would love to stay part time for all three years however I would like to explore other criminal law firms and participate in clinics. I work in the city, and live in Newton (about 10 miles outside of city).

I know the school gets a lot of grief on here, and I understand why. However, my husband is an alum (class of 09) and now has a job he loves, pays well, and where he uses his degree daily.

Barring an acceptance from BU or significant money at another Boston school, I think this is where I will end up.

TLG

New

Re: New England Law 2014

Post by TLG » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

I was accepted to New England Law as well, with a great scholarship. However, that was the last school on my list and would prefer to go to Northeastern (waitlisted). My next concern is that I may not get in another school with such a great scholarship opportunity. I do not live in the Boston area so I am unsure of New England Law's reputation. What do you know of its reputation?

sparcarc

New

Post by sparcarc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:02 pm

It's just okay, nothing special. There is an attorney from NESL here in our office and she does struggle. But again, it's not impossible to find a job I don't think, although talking with her, it does seem to be very difficult.

ggx

New

Post by ggx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:06 pm

My understanding of the order at least rankings-wise of accredited Boston law schools (and please someone correct me if I am wrong) is as follows: Harvard, BU/BC, Northeastern, Suffolk, New England.

My husband did not have trouble finding a job but he was very involved, had great grades, and made valuable connections- which I plan on doing as well. If you know you're going to be in the top percentage of the class, plan on using your time wisely for internships/job/clinics to make connections; I feel it should not be as hard to get a job as some make it out to be. If you are in the bottom of your class at New England Law you are going have a harder time finding a job than someone in the bottom of their class at H/BU/BC/N/S.

I just feel like a scholarship to an accredited law school in a city with so many opportunities such as Boston is hard to pass up.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:33 am

Its generally considered the lowest-prestige accredited school in MA. It only ranks above the unaccredited schools like UMass Law and Mass Law (Andover). Its probably on par with Roger Williams in RI.
When I first started looking at schools I had considered it because they offer full scholarships with pretty low standards for lsat and gpa...but really, if you have better options you should take them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ggx

New

Post by ggx » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 am

I have to disagree and say it has a better rep than Roger Williams, and higher standards for admission.

I'd say Western NE Law is the accredited school in MA with the lowest prestige and likely on par with RW.
Last edited by ggx on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:47 am

What percentage of the class will be planning on being top of the class?

ggx

New

Post by ggx » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:57 am

kwais wrote:What percentage of the class will be planning on being top of the class?
Anyone who wants a job after graduation

Realistically (and unfortunately)- a lot less

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:08 am

ggx wrote:
kwais wrote:What percentage of the class will be planning on being top of the class?
Anyone who wants a job after graduation

Realistically (and unfortunately)- a lot less
Indeed, but it does sound like you are going in to this with substantially more thought and personal information (spouse's experience) than most NELS
0Ls on here who are like "sweet, free law school. I'll just be top of the class!" Good Luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:54 am

ggx wrote:I have to disagree and say it has a better rep than Roger Williams, and higher standards for admission.

I'd say Western NE Law is the accredited school in MA with the lowest prestige and likely on par with RW.
Maybe debating the better of WNEC, NESL, and RU is pointless, since they are all unarguably TTT... I think we can probably agree though that your job prospects will only be as good as your connections and class rank and the ceiling coming out will definitely be lower than elsewhere.
TLG asked what its reputation was in the region..and saying its amongst the bottom of the barrel about sums it up.

Out of curiosity OP, what does your SO do for a job? Your description made me wonder if he is not specifically working as an attorney..?

ggx

New

Post by ggx » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:14 am

I agree with you on amongst the bottom.

My husband is a tax attorney. I emphasized his use of degree daily because there are classmates of his that don't.

bnaidu

New

Post by bnaidu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:23 am

Was waitlisted at beginning of March and accepted on Monday. Still waiting on 3 west coast schools to give responses but there is a good chance I will be seeing some of you in the fall. Not sure how I'm going to afford the move from SLC, UT but stoked about living in Boston. Anyone have tips on where to live? 2 bedroom that accepts animals? haha.

Cheers.

egaudier

New

Post by egaudier » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm in. I'm waiting to hear back from BU and BC and I'll decide at that point. I attended the admitted students open house this past Monday and actually found myself liking the atmosphere and overall quality a lot more than I expected. I particularly liked the focus in International Human Rights and the ability to do a term abroad at the Hague, working at the ICC. It's still my backup but it's not a "last resort." I am happy with the opportunities I could have there - like any law school, so much of it has to do with what you make of your time there. I certainly intend to maximize my opportunities no matter where I end up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:23 am

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

verbalizing

New

Post by verbalizing » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:50 am

I'm considering it because of the scholarship offer and since I'm currently finishing up undergrad in Boston, I have a few connections here already. Graduating with little debt is really important to me, but I did get into Syracuse and I love everything about it despite its location.

I sent a letter asking for more merit aid last week though, so if I do receive more merit aid and making it closer to a full ride I'll be going to NESL, but I think Syracuse is worth sticker more than NESL and free $$

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 am

verbalizing wrote: I think Syracuse is worth sticker
Strongly suggest you do more research and reconsider this.

dturnbull87

New

Post by dturnbull87 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:40 pm

+1 Class of 2014

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nhung Valerio

New

Post by Nhung Valerio » Wed May 25, 2011 2:57 am

Anyone else in at New England Law | Boston? It's my safety school but I am just relieved that I got in somewhere. I'm heading to their Accepted Students Open House on Monday 3/28.

AndrewLJBerg

New

Post by AndrewLJBerg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:56 pm

I was on New England Law's waitlist and I chose to be on the waitlist for both the day and evening sessions. I got accepted to the evening session in the beginning of May and I am still on the waitlist for the day session. I sent in another letter of recommendation and a letter expressing my continued interest in the day session at the beginning of June. I would MUCH rather attend the day session. Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist for the Day program yet?

megem

New

Post by megem » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:42 pm

I will be attending the day division this fall. I'm looking at apts. on Thursday...where is it most common for NELS students to live? I am not from Boston but pretty familiar with the city.

dturnbull87

New

Post by dturnbull87 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Have heard that apartments along the Greenline D and C are popular, out towards Allston/Brighton and along Brookline are great areas since they are far away from the city to get decent sleep and also close enough to get to the bars at Back Bay and you can also easily hit up the Boston University area.
Last edited by dturnbull87 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:45 pm

dturnbull87 wrote:Have heard that apartments along the Greenline A are popular, out towards Allston/Brighton and along Brookline are great areas since they are far away from the city to get decent sleep and also close enough to get to the bars at Back Bay and you can also easily hit up the Boston University area.
There's no A line on the Green line. :wink:

schwar46

Bronze

Post by schwar46 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:53 am

I'm from Waltham and I'm familiar with reputations in town- do not attend this law school- it doesn't matter how much scholly you get. Most will matriculate with a scholly and lose it after their first year. This school's reputation is shit, and it's located in one of the most competitive markets in the country.

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:19 am

I know a professor at Suffolk who is quite familiar with New England. Here was his take:

He felt that New England was a very decent law school. They are well known in New England and have lots of alumni working as lawyers. Moreover, they are one of the few T4 law schools that have very few required courses outside of the normal first year requrements. They provide a number of financial aid scholarships. How easy it is to keep them, however, was unknown by him. In additon, they also have 12 practical clinics plus three practice areas,which give a good experiencial focus to their education. The problems with New England Law are that:

1. They are fairly expensive for a T4 school at $40,904. In additon, living in Boston isn't cheap.
2. They are a T4 school and don't appear to be rising out of this classification anytime soon.
3. There are a number of schools in New England that have a lot more cache such as Harvard, Yale, Uconn, BU, BC, Northeastern, Suffolk etc., all of whose graduates you will be competing against in a horrible job market.
4. They have very little name recognition outside of the New England area.

dturnbull87

New

Post by dturnbull87 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Great Professors!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”