full tuition support thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Spookyghost

Bronze

Re: full tuition support thread

Post by Spookyghost » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:09 am

lsatextreme wrote:so what's the lowest rank schools people are considering full tuition?

40s here.
Cooley.

(just kidding. Pepperdine up probably, with a few schools I wouldn't pay full price for.)

softsgalore

New

Post by softsgalore » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 am

In some ways it feels like my whole life has been guiding me to make the choice to do Boalt at sticker.

A week or so ago, I was at a T25 school touring, and got to watch a moot competition. A girl who was in the competition, and who was in fact the top mooter from the school, started talking to me. She had actually chosen a full ride at this school over a Stanford admission. I asked her: "well, do you regret it?" She looked down and said, kind of embarrassed, "Yeah, a little bit." I kept looking at the school after that, but my heart had kind of made up its mind. I know there's a gap between Stanford and Boalt, but I know as a basic, gut feeling that I would regret taking the money over the area I love and the school with the real commitment to social justice and public interest.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:18 am

Lisi wrote:
subtle wrote:
bhan87 wrote:I really hope CCN is worth sticker...
+ a million
+ a million and one
+ two million and one?

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 am

softsgalore wrote:In some ways it feels like my whole life has been guiding me to make the choice to do Boalt at sticker.

A week or so ago, I was at a T25 school touring, and got to watch a moot competition. A girl who was in the competition, and who was in fact the top mooter from the school, started talking to me. She had actually chosen a full ride at this school over a Stanford admission. I asked her: "well, do you regret it?" She looked down and said, kind of embarrassed, "Yeah, a little bit." I kept looking at the school after that, but my heart had kind of made up its mind. I know there's a gap between Stanford and Boalt, but I know as a basic, gut feeling that I would regret taking the money over the area I love and the school with the real commitment to social justice and public interest.

+1, I share your sentiments and school choice. I know I would regret it if I took a scholarship at a lesser school. I also have admits to other T14s with lower COAs and that also complicates my choice.

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:05 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
softsgalore wrote:In some ways it feels like my whole life has been guiding me to make the choice to do Boalt at sticker.

+1, I share your sentiments and school choice. I know I would regret it if I took a scholarship at a lesser school. I also have admits to other T14s with lower COAs and that also complicates my choice.
+2. I really really want to go to Boalt, but I'm worried that I can't justify paying sticker there when I have really great scholarships to UTexas and Northwestern. I'm so torn! Berkeley's one of the most expensive law schools in the nation, especially if I can't get in-state for 2L and 3L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 am

juliachild-ish wrote:
powerlawyer06 wrote:

+2. I really really want to go to Boalt, but I'm worried that I can't justify paying sticker there when I have really great scholarships to UTexas and Northwestern. I'm so torn! Berkeley's one of the most expensive law schools in the nation, especially if I can't get in-state for 2L and 3L.
Wut. You have a Harvard acceptance and your thinking of going to Berkeley at sticker?

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Lisi wrote:
subtle wrote:
bhan87 wrote:I really hope CCN is worth sticker...
+ a million
+ a million and one
+ two million and one?
+ one gajillion...maybe....oh god i don't know what to do!!!!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:30 am

I have met a handful of current law students who wished they had taken the better school at sticker.
Haven't met the opposite yet.
Columbia, here I come.
*spins wheel* Come on Big Money!

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 pm

I like to gamble as well. Going all in!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:58 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Yeah, it is even scarier if you use the loan calculator on finaid.org and it tells you what annual salary you need to pay your loan comfortably :-/

You by chance have a link to that?

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:05 pm

splitmuch wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Yeah, it is even scarier if you use the loan calculator on finaid.org and it tells you what annual salary you need to pay your loan comfortably :-/

You by chance have a link to that?
http://www.finaid.org/calculators/

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 pm

I'm going all in with you UVA, don't let me down........

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:10 pm

adevotchka wrote:My 200k law school debt will become my dowry. Get ready, boys.
negative equity dowry, i like how you think

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gator6589

New

Post by gator6589 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Im beginning to believe, though others here will most certainly disagree, paying 90-120k for a law school with in the ranks of 1-70 is not unreasonable. I think where you start to run into real trouble is paying sticker at those bottom schools 100-TTTT. Everyone's situation is different and there are certainly instances where paying full tuition at those schools works out for certain individuals. As long as one realize's the finical responsibility and realities of the job market they should trust their decision I just feel things will work out for many of you paying 120k to attend a good law school. (feel may be the wrong word, as many of my family members have attend non T14 law schools and are finically secure and stable )Nothing is guaranteed but if law school is your dream, follow it.

Best of luck to everyone

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:15 pm

gator6589 wrote:Im beginning to believe, though others here will most certainly disagree, paying 90-120k for a law school with in the ranks of 1-70 is not unreasonable. I think where you start to run into real trouble is paying sticker at those bottom schools 100-TTTT. Everyone's situation is different and there are certainly instances where paying full tuition at those schools works out for certain individuals. As long as one realize's the finical responsibility and realities of the job market they should trust their decision I just feel things will work out for many of you paying 120k to attend a good law school. (feel may be the wrong word, as many of my family members have attend non T14 law schools and are finically secure and stable )Nothing is guaranteed but if law school is your dream, follow it.

Best of luck to everyone

thanks! I agree totally with this ( im considering a school or two that is a fantastic fit for where i want to work- i.e its in the region itself, and is a great school for there). I would be more afraid if it were a school in the 100+ or unranked category- if that were the case, i would be purchasing more prep tests and study materials.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:59 pm

i'll be voting for whichever political candidates are in favor of leaving IBR alone for the next 13 years, let's put it that way!

ku1185

Bronze

Post by ku1185 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:59 pm

minuit wrote:i'll be voting for whichever political candidates are in favor of leaving IBR alone for the next 13 years, let's put it that way!
+9000

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm a dumbass. What's IBR?

ku1185

Bronze

Post by ku1185 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:04 pm

neonx wrote:I'm a dumbass. What's IBR?
Income-based repayment. http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/resour ... -repayment

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Half this thread 4 years from now:

--ImageRemoved--

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 pm

i prefer the rope

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm just going to wander into the Sahara. I'll either die or resurface ten years later and write an inspirational book about survival and finding God in the desert that will net me enough money to repay my loans. Failproof plan.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:Half this thread 4 years from now:

--ImageRemoved--
lol, like anyone in this thread will be able to afford a gun in 4 years

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Magnolia wrote:
Redsgomarchingon wrote:Half this thread 4 years from now:

--ImageRemoved--
lol, like anyone in this thread will be able to afford a gun in 4 years
That's why above poster suggested rope.

VTOrange19

New

Post by VTOrange19 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Since we are all going massively into debt, let's loan out every dime we can and all contribute whatever we can afford to a pool. We all buy Powerball tickets in whatever state it is most reasonable (although it is nationwide I think, so wherever our elected trustee resides) and play our chances there. Winning the jackpot will be paid out in a percentage of however much everyone put in. I figure it will help us out a little bit, right?

Who says you can't gamble with borrowed money? Look at the stock market in the 1920's. They all made tons of money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”