Held at Harvard, What do I need to do? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sicsofs

New

Held at Harvard, What do I need to do?

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Okay, I went UR on 2/7 and received an email on 3/22 saying that i was being held for further review. On paper, I am an auto-reject. However, I have an pretty incredible story and I believe this to be the reason that I have yet to be rejected.

What do I need to do to get the scales to tip in my favor? LOCI (about what? everyone has continued interest in HLS), reccomendations, if so from who? (The two i sent were from an E9 in the army and a professor). Is there anything else i can do to convince JR that I am legitimate and worth a slot. Please help. Thanks.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Held at Harvard, What do I need to do?

Post by Knock » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:58 am

Sicsofs wrote:Okay, I went UR on 2/7 and received an email on 3/22 saying that i was being held for further review. On paper, I am an auto-reject. However, I have an pretty incredible story and I believe this to be the reason that I have yet to be rejected.

What do I need to do to get the scales to tip in my favor? LOCI (about what? everyone has continued interest in HLS), reccomendations, if so from who? (The two i sent were from an E9 in the army and a professor). Is there anything else i can do to convince JR that I am legitimate and worth a slot. Please help. Thanks.
What are your numbers? If you haven't gotten a JR1, you're probably out of luck. You could send a LOCI, detailing specific reasons why YOU want to attend HLS, and why you would be a good fit and contribute to HLS, as well as an additional LOR, but it isn't likely to make a difference.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 am

Sending a STOCI (singing telegram of continued interest) is always TCR to a hold or waitlist.

robchuckbob

New

Post by robchuckbob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 pm

I'm in the same boat. Except I was complete 1/9 and just received my hold e-mail on 3/24. In a way, I'm kindof flattered, like they liked me so much they really don't want to hurt my feelings. HAHA. But what can I do?

What do TCR and JR1 mean?

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Josh Rubenstein's phone interview. Have to have it before you get accepted as far as I know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 am

robchuckbob wrote: What do TCR and JR1 mean?
And TCR="the credited response", as in TITCR. LSAT correct answers always say "This is the credited response."

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Knock wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:Okay, I went UR on 2/7 and received an email on 3/22 saying that i was being held for further review. On paper, I am an auto-reject. However, I have an pretty incredible story and I believe this to be the reason that I have yet to be rejected.

What are your numbers? If you haven't gotten a JR1, you're probably out of luck. You could send a LOCI, detailing specific reasons why YOU want to attend HLS, and why you would be a good fit and contribute to HLS, as well as an additional LOR, but it isn't likely to make a difference.
My numbers are so embarrassing that i would rather not disclose. I have not had my JR1 and i know that is necessary for admission, however, my numbers are so embarrassing they should have dinged me in 2 weeks like northwestern and chicago did. Other than my story is pretty remarkable, i can think of no reason as to why i have not been dinged.

I Fedexed them a LOCI, the narrative for my bronze star, two evaluations, and photo. My LOCI was a bit unorthodox, but my entire application has been unorthodox. I know the photo is a bit crazy to send in but i am pretty sure that the only reason i am still in the hunt is because of my very unique military service so i thought the photo (me and my unit boarding the plane to come home) could put a face to a story. I have two more LOR's coming. One from a current boss and another from my old Colonel. I hope that it is enough to get it done.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:53 pm

Sicsofs wrote:
the narrative for my bronze star.
Well, I think I know why you weren't auto-rejected. Now if I could only figure out why I was held with a 3.1 GPA.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:00 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:
Well, I think I know why you weren't auto-rejected. Now if I could only figure out why I was held with a 3.1 GPA.

Uh, your 178 LSAT. I am surprised that you got held and not admitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Sicsofs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:

heh I wish. They have plenty of high LSATs, and I've actually been shut out of the entire T14 with a few WLs and a lot more straight rejections. Although its nice of Harvard to boost my ego with the hold.

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:27 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:

heh I wish. They have plenty of high LSATs, and I've actually been shut out of the entire T14 with a few WLs and a lot more straight rejections. Although its nice of Harvard to boost my ego with the hold.
Come on man, there has to be something more to it. There is no reason to get shut out of the T14 with a 178. Do you have some other "flags" on your apps that might be holding you back. It's not my place but there is just not reason for 178's to get smacked around.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Sicsofs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Come on man, there has to be something more to it. There is no reason to get shut out of the T14 with a 178. Do you have some other "flags" on your apps that might be holding you back. It's not my place but there is just not reason for 178's to get smacked around.
That's not uncommon at all with a low GPA, even with a 178 LSAT.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

I have no red flags, alot of community service, WE (only 1 yr as a paralegal) and two solid LOR and the GPA came in a PreMed and Econ double major from a top 20 undergrad.

I did apply late, though and, honestly, understand why the GPA would hold me back.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:34 pm

splitmuch wrote:I have no red flags, alot of community service, WE (only 1 yr as a paralegal) and two solid LOR and the GPA came in a PreMed and Econ double major from a top 20 undergrad.

I did apply late, though and, honestly, understand why the GPA would hold me back.
Man. The law school admissions process is violent. I need to get in a foxhole.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:35 pm

hahaha well played.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 am

splitmuch wrote:
Sicsofs wrote:

Did you get the "V" device? I have one as well but no "V" device.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:02 pm

splitmuch wrote:I have no red flags, alot of community service, WE (only 1 yr as a paralegal) and two solid LOR and the GPA came in a PreMed and Econ double major from a top 20 undergrad.

I did apply late, though
I love the paragraph of irrelevant stuff before you finally explain your poor cycle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:24 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

I did apply late, though
I love the paragraph of irrelevant stuff before you finally explain your poor cycle.
I mean it was intentional because of his insistence that there were "red flags" in reality no, I just applied late.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 pm

So what do I need to do?

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:So what do I need to do?
I dunno, apparently something even more impressive than receiving a bronze star.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:33 pm

splitmuch wrote:hahaha well played.

re apply early next cycle. with a 178 you should be in at some good schools. use the summer to write your essays and optional essays, and visit the areas. mail them all in in september

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 pm

northwood wrote:

re apply early next cycle. with a 178 you should be in at some good schools. use the summer to write your essays and optional essays, and visit the areas. mail them all in in september

I know this is the credited response but I really want to move on with my life. I already have a 2/3 scholly to WUSTL in the bag that I'm happy with taking and still waiting on NW (I have WE) GULC, Penn, and this Harvard hold (though I have no delusions that my chances are signicantly non-zero.)
Last edited by splitmuch on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sicsofs

New

Post by Sicsofs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 am

splitmuch wrote:
northwood wrote:

I know this is the credited response but I really want to move on with my life. I already have a 2/3 scholly to WUSTL in the bag that I'm happy with taking and still waiting on NW (I have WE) GULC, Penn, and this Harvard hold (though I have no delusions that my chances are greater than signicantly non-zero.)
Hey don't lose hope. I know this sucks but....."We go to war with the army we got"

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:08 am

splitmuch wrote:
northwood wrote:re apply early next cycle. with a 178 you should be in at some good schools. use the summer to write your essays and optional essays, and visit the areas. mail them all in in september
I know this is the credited response but I really want to move on with my life. I already have a 2/3 scholly to WUSTL in the bag that I'm happy with taking and still waiting on NW (I have WE) GULC, Penn, and this Harvard hold (though I have no delusions that my chances are signicantly non-zero.)
Really? At the end of your life, will your deathbed regret be "If only I was an attorney for one more year?" Reapply man, you are in at least one of MVP with that LSAT and a bronze star.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:40 am

sundance95 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
northwood wrote:re apply early next cycle. with a 178 you should be in at some good schools. use the summer to write your essays and optional essays, and visit the areas. mail them all in in september
Really? At the end of your life, will your deathbed regret be "If only I was an attorney for one more year?" Reapply man, you are in at least one of MVP with that LSAT and a bronze star.

That could be a solid theory...if I were the one in this thread who has a bronze star.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”