Tulsa 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mrwarre85

Silver

Re: Tulsa 2011 Cycle

Post by mrwarre85 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:58 pm

txadv11 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:The good: Very friendly and helpful staff-admissions-professors. The centers are unique and relevant to the area (Native American, Energy, Health). Library was spacious and above average for where I've been. Small class size, and I think the student/teacher ratio is like 11:1.

The OK/neutral: The building, and campus. Students Orgs were OK for my interests, but not the best.

The bad: Tuition could raise quite a bit ("10-20%"), I'm skeptical of how ANY school, could boast 95% employment, especially when it was less than that in previous years and has increased in this economy. I may be wrong, but I just don't believe it.

Overall I could be happy there, but cost and lack of specialization in advocacy/litigation/criminal law areas would have to be sought out by me, as opposed to getting a certificate or program in those that is offered elsewhere.
According to USNEWS only 44% of TU grads work in a full-time legal job. Only 16% of THOSE grads who work in the private sector reported a salary.

You need to finish in the top 10% for a decent private firm job, methinks.
Yeah, I think its about top 10-20 for any school >50 right now.

Yeah it really doesn't look like Tulsa is worse than its piers, but I wouldn't say its equal >50 out. SMU has 30% grads from last year start over 100k, while at Tulsa only 15% or 20% of grads are even working at private firms, the vast majority of those making 50k. I'm thinking about going to Tennessee where they had 86% of grads working in a full-time legal job. Just sayin in case someone wants to retake the LSAT and go towards greener pastures next year. I recommend going over the full report at USNEWS

jpjpporter

New

Post by jpjpporter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:35 pm

accepted a few weeks ago, no waiting for scholarship info. Hopefully it is competive, I like tulsa

bballgirl30

New

Post by bballgirl30 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:09 pm

I've been waiting for decision from Tulsa for over a month now and I'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. I've talked to a few friends I know that applied there and they told me it only took about a week or two to hear back from Tulsa so its making me nervous I haven't heard anything. The only thing I've gotten from them recently was the April law school newsletter.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Tulsa was like a five day turnaround for me. They were also have a really helpful admissions staff. They are renovating all of the classrooms this summer, so us 1Ls will have a pretty sweet setup.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 am

I applied 3/29 and got accepted today via the status checker. Although the site is down now so maybe it was a mistake and there trying to hide it now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:43 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:I applied 3/29 and got accepted today via the status checker. Although the site is down now so maybe it was a mistake and there trying to hide it now.
Haha. I think one law school (UNC maybe?) sent out acceptance emails to the wrong batch of students last year, then had to have the dean personally email all of them and tell them they were in fact not accepted.

jmill

New

Post by jmill » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:55 pm

officially withdrew today, hope it frees up a spot and some money for one of you.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
coolgreen44 wrote:I applied 3/29 and got accepted today via the status checker. Although the site is down now so maybe it was a mistake and there trying to hide it now.
Haha. I think one law school (UNC maybe?) sent out acceptance emails to the wrong batch of students last year, then had to have the dean personally email all of them and tell them they were in fact not accepted.
It is working again. Says the letter was sent yesterday. I am hoping I get a full scholarship offer (or close to it). Although I don't have a clue how liberal they are with scholarship money.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:23 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
It is working again. Says the letter was sent yesterday. I am hoping I get a full scholarship offer (or close to it). Although I don't have a clue how liberal they are with scholarship money.
supposedly they had awarded most of it, but I have no clue what that actually means.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:34 pm

In that case I have no chance of attending :P

I have a feeling that a lot of these schools expect many of the people who they offer scholarships to not attend, so they may as well keep offering a lot of money.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Anyone else attending? following seems pretty small...then again with 140 1Ls I guess I shouldn't expect a ton.

jg00

New

Post by jg00 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:32 am

Accepted - still waiting on package (stupid snail mail).

Dont know which school to keep in consideration out of Tulsa, UMKC, and UST as I'm still waiting on Seattle and Oregon - any thoughts? I don't really know much about these schools :|

Also, what does URM mean? (lol I'm Canadian)

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:13 am

jg00 wrote:Accepted - still waiting on package (stupid snail mail).

Dont know which school to keep in consideration out of Tulsa, UMKC, and UST as I'm still waiting on Seattle and Oregon - any thoughts? I don't really know much about these schools :|

Well, first, URM means Under-Represented Minority. These are groups of people who schools target to get, more-so than the average person because of the want/need for more diversity in law school, and lawyers. I'm not sure (in part because if varies from school to school on the "boost") but African American, Native American, Latin and Mexican American and sometimes LGBT CAN get a slight boost in the process. This can either be extra scholarship money as an incentive and/or schools lowering their standards, slightly, to encourage URM applicants.

I can't say much on TU vs UMKC vs UST. I guess I'll say look at what things are important to you? For me, it was region (South, near TX), overall cost, and class size, that got me to Tulsa.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:19 pm

jg00 wrote:Accepted - still waiting on package (stupid snail mail).

I am in a similar situation, but mine are Tulsa, UST, Pacific, Marquette and waiting on Baylor.

I don't know much about Tulsa or UST but I may attend one or the other due to the large scholarship offers (well waiting on Tulsa offer, UST is full).

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Got the scholarship thing today. 24,000 but I need a 3.0 GPA to keep it and according to Wikipedia the curve is 2.50-2.67.

Has anyone has success getting them to remove the stipulations?

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:44 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:Got the scholarship thing today. 24,000 but I need a 3.0 GPA to keep it and according to Wikipedia the curve is 2.50-2.67.

They wouldn't for me, PLEASE let me know if they will for you. They said it was a school bylaw.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:57 pm

txadv11 wrote:
coolgreen44 wrote:Got the scholarship thing today. 24,000 but I need a 3.0 GPA to keep it and according to Wikipedia the curve is 2.50-2.67.

They wouldn't for me, PLEASE let me know if they will for you. They said it was a school bylaw.
+1

In fact, I think they might have even tried to make me feel stupid for even asking if it could be removed. I was thinking " you should feel stupid for ripping off and later pissing off your future alums."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”