Waitlists/Holds & Seat Deposits Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flexityflex86

Silver

Waitlists/Holds & Seat Deposits

Post by flexityflex86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Do you have to pay to stay on a waitlist/hold at a school? If so, and a school rejects you anyway but doesn't refund your deposit, wouldn't this be unethical?

subtle

Silver

Re: Waitlists/Holds & Seat Deposits

Post by subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:39 pm

You only pay a seat deposit to a school that has already accepted you. You don't pay to stay on a waitlist. If you're in at X school, submit a deposit. If Y school takes you off the waitlist (and you'd rather go), you can tell X school and just lose your deposit (part of it might be refundable, depending on the school's policy).

But no, you do not pay to stay on the waitlist.

flexityflex86

Silver

Re: Waitlists/Holds & Seat Deposits

Post by flexityflex86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:46 pm

subtle wrote:You only pay a seat deposit to a school that has already accepted you. You don't pay to stay on a waitlist. If you're in at X school, submit a deposit. If Y school takes you off the waitlist (and you'd rather go), you can tell X school and just lose your deposit (part of it might be refundable, depending on the school's policy).

But no, you do not pay to stay on the waitlist.
Okay, because I have some waitlists to t-5's that my #'s should not really have given me a chance at, and at first I thought I had some shot of getting in, but the cynic in me thought maybe it's some kind of ponzi scheme.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”