Waitist boosters Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pacers3177

New

Waitist boosters

Post by pacers3177 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:45 pm

So I have currently been waitlisted at 3 schools, all within the last 2 weeks (no T14). For two of them I feel optimistic but one is a stretch. A week after the wait list letters came I made Phi Beta Kappa, which I included in my LOCIs. Just wondering how much of a difference this could make on the re-evaluations and if I should feel more confident about getting accepted.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: Waitist boosters

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:08 pm

I doubt it would make that much of a difference, but it's always nice to have new things to put on a LOCI.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:17 pm

This is one of those situations where RETAKE, is actually a helpful response. Retake in June and if you do better submit your scores. If you don't, then you already have your acceptances and there's little need to inform the schools where you're wait-listed.

yale2011

New

Post by yale2011 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:12 pm

either way, the places that already accepted you/gave you scholly aren't going to hold a new, lower score against you. Nothing to lose except the $130 or whatever it costs to take it.

Ill probably be taking in June to try and claw my way off UT/UW/Hastings waitlists. If I do drastically better (173+), Ill reassess my situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PleaseHelpThanks

New

Post by PleaseHelpThanks » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:17 pm

pacers3177 wrote:So I have currently been waitlisted at 3 schools, all within the last 2 weeks (no T14). For two of them I feel optimistic but one is a stretch. A week after the wait list letters came I made Phi Beta Kappa, which I included in my LOCIs. Just wondering how much of a difference this could make on the re-evaluations and if I should feel more confident about getting accepted.
If the person reading your file is in Phi Beta Kappa, then yes, obviously.

If not, why the hell would they care? Are you a fucking ass?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:35 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:
pacers3177 wrote:So I have currently been waitlisted at 3 schools, all within the last 2 weeks (no T14). For two of them I feel optimistic but one is a stretch. A week after the wait list letters came I made Phi Beta Kappa, which I included in my LOCIs. Just wondering how much of a difference this could make on the re-evaluations and if I should feel more confident about getting accepted.
If the person reading your file is in Phi Beta Kappa, then yes, obviously.

If not, why the hell would they care? Are you a fucking ass?
It's a well-respected academic honor society, not a frat.

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:39 pm

yeah...i don't know where above posters did undergrad but phi beta kappa is a big deal. on the yale application they specifically ask for academic honors and then specify summa cum laude and phi beta kappa as examples worth listing....

as a fellow phi beta kappa congrats! i think it did help my cycle.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:46 pm

I mean I doubt that PBK would add that much to your application since its an honor almost entirely based on grades (which all the law schools already know). I guess if your school grade deflates, PBK would show that you are near the top of your class regardless of what your GPA actually is (my friend at Reed for example was PBK with like a 3.6-3.7ish, whereas at my school you wouldn't even get close without a 3.9 or above). Basically it's nice, but its probably not going to tell admissions officers anything new about you that would change their minds significantly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lateblooming

New

Post by lateblooming » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:50 pm

chasgoose wrote:I mean I doubt that PBK would add that much to your application since its an honor almost entirely based on grades (which all the law schools already know). I guess if your school grade deflates, PBK would show that you are near the top of your class regardless of what your GPA actually is (my friend at Reed for example was PBK with like a 3.6-3.7ish, whereas at my school you wouldn't even get close without a 3.9 or above). Basically it's nice, but its probably not going to tell admissions officers anything new about you that would change their minds significantly.
:roll:

making PBK is a big deal, definitely worth noting in a LOCI. congrats btw.

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:56 pm

oh. i don't know if schools do it differently. where i went u need over a 3.75% and u needed a certain rating among the professors who had taught you or something. lol that's why i was excited. if its totally based on grades somewhere ican see that as a less exciting addition

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:02 pm

it's resume fluff. it's not going to get you into LS if you don't already have the numbers.

arkansawyer

Bronze

Post by arkansawyer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 pm

What do ya'll think about getting summa cum laude? Especially if it's awarded as a distinction for thesis work?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cornhusker

New

Post by cornhusker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Depends on the perceived caliber/rating of the ug and what law school/admin is reading your app.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Let's be honest, the only waitlister booster that really matters is a higher LSAT score. That said, showing interest, including fluff achievements...etc. cant hurt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”