So I'm terrible at making decisions and I'd love some help.. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which One??

Full Tuition + Books + Summer in Austria from Pacific McGeorge
54%
Full Tuition from University of Arkansas Little Rock
5%
13K/Year from University of Arkansas Fayetteville
No votes
21K/Year from Baylor
33%
Florida State (Currently Sticker)
8%

Total votes: 39

limelightwave

New

So I'm terrible at making decisions and I'd love some help..

Post by limelightwave » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm not really attached to any particular place.... thoughts?

SixStrings11

Bronze

Re: So I'm terrible at making decisions and I'd love some help..

Post by SixStrings11 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Any preferences on where you want to practice? What kind of law you want to practice?

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:04 pm

No real preferences on where I want to practice (I'm from TN and went to school in St. Louis, but I don't have my heart set on anywhere really)... and I want to get in a courtroom, so criminal law, probably starting out in a prosecutor's office.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:09 pm

If you're looking at prosecution, I'd say you want to go somewhere where you won't accumulate too much debt. Since you're not a Florida resident, FSU might be a little expensive for what you're considering. And unfortunately that's the only school I know anything about from that list. Since that's the case, I don't want to give you any information that might point you in the wrong direction, so I'm going to keep quiet on this one. Sorry. Best of luck to you though.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:17 pm

With an LSAT score of 165 & a 3.6 GPA, you should have applied to a higher calibre of schools. Based on your current choices, McGeorge is tempting, but also dangerous because you may never want to leave Austria after spending a summer there. The two Arkansas law schools are strong options if you want to practice in Arkansas, but bad options for NYC biglaw. Baylor is attractive if you like Texas, but not too many like Waco. Your LSAT score is just one point below a near-certain $40,000 a year scholarship to Indiana-Bloomington. FSU is out-of-state sticker & , therefore, out of consideration because you have no strong desire to practice in Florida. How did you compile your list of law schools ? Regardless, my best guess is that free tuition, fees, books & a summer in Austria is too much to pass up.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:With an LSAT score of 165 & a 3.6 GPA, you should have applied to a higher calibre of schools.
I applied super late... and I'm still waiting to hear from quite a few other places. This is just my decision as of right now. I'm also still waiting to hear on money from FSU. I just want to try to narrow it down.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:26 pm

In that case, is "none of the above" an option ? Only go to one of the Arkansas law schools if you want to live & work in Arkansas or nearby areas. McGeorge may also have limited portability & OCI options. Do you really want to spend 3 years in Waco ? Based on your current choices, select a full tuition & fees scholarship if the law school has a well respected prosecutorial clinic/internship/externship since that is your career goal.

P.S. Austrians have a strong authoritarian, pro-prosecution, law & order outlook on life. Plus, it may be the most beautiful place on Earth--which is one reason why non-Austrians cannot buy or own real estate in Austria.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:26 pm

What are the stipulations on these schollys?

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Probably not what you want to hear, but you should take a year off and apply super early next year. With your numbers you have a decent shot at schools in the T20-30 range with some $ too. If you want you could even retake the LSAT and shoot for Vanderbilt or the T14.

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Did I mention that the summer in Austria involves taking a class with Justice Kennedy?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”