Waitlist Hell Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
picklebarrel

New

Re: Waitlist Hell

Post by picklebarrel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:46 am

Just got on the waitlist at UCLA. The admissions office said they would send me a confirmation once they process my waitlist form. Just wondering, should I wait for this confirmation before sending a LOCI?

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:16 am

picklebarrel wrote:Just got on the waitlist at UCLA. The admissions office said they would send me a confirmation once they process my waitlist form. Just wondering, should I wait for this confirmation before sending a LOCI?
Write it now, send it right after confirmation would be my guess.

I don't think their gonna be angry if the receive it before though. They'll know whats going on.

Roxybsr

New

Post by Roxybsr » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:35 pm

The stress never ends seems like lol. First I wanna go to law school, then oh crap I gotta take the LSAT, next what did get on my LSAT, then is this good enough, next apply to school and wait... and you get the point.

This may be totally random but anyone else feel like sending LOCIs are like begging and then if they still say no its like a kick in the @$$?

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:40 pm

Roxybsr wrote:The stress never ends seems like lol. First I wanna go to law school, then oh crap I gotta take the LSAT, next what did get on my LSAT, then is this good enough, next apply to school and wait... and you get the point.

This may be totally random but anyone else feel like sending LOCIs are like begging and then if they still say no its like a kick in the @$$?
It is just starting, we will soon have to worry about classed/exams and then our ranks, then OCI, passing the bar, looking for a job... it will never end

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
Roxybsr wrote:The stress never ends seems like lol. First I wanna go to law school, then oh crap I gotta take the LSAT, next what did get on my LSAT, then is this good enough, next apply to school and wait... and you get the point.

It is just starting, we will soon have to worry about classed/exams and then our ranks, then OCI, passing the bar, looking for a job... it will never end
Guys, let me offer you some hope: one day you will die and not have to worry about debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:02 am

Flips88 wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:

Guys, let me offer you some hope: one day you will die and not have to worry about debt.
Lol thats what you think

wajihc

New

Post by wajihc » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:49 am

lolrskates wrote:WL @ UNC, I only applied there (personal reasons). I'm just curious, does anyone know if your chances for getting into a state school as a resident are still proportionally better than OOS applicants, or does that level out once you're at the WL stage?

I figure there is some math involved here, but it's beyond me.
I would call the school and ask if NC residency is a contributing factor to the admissions process. I would also ask about what sort of roots in the state would help your application (i.e. knowing any UNC Law alumni well enough to write you a letter). I also dug this up: "Each entering class is usually comprised of 70-75 percent in-state students and 25-30 percent out-of-state students" (http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/resid ... fault.aspx).

At UT-Knoxville, it matters. There are some people who have high LSATs, but low GPAs, and got waitlisted there and are from out-of-state. There are also others that are borderline with LSATs in the 25th percentile and GPAs below the 25th, but got waitlisted because they are out-of-state, but those in-state, got in.
Last edited by wajihc on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:51 am

My cycle is over except my NW hold, so I'll just check in with all the WLs I am on.

C,C,N,M,P,V,N,D,C, Vandy, UCLA, ND, Minnesota

Yeah definitely not gonna ride most of those.

New

Post by 20140606 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:37 am

`
Last edited by 20140606 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:38 am

Hannibal wrote:My cycle is over except my NW hold, so I'll just check in with all the WLs I am on.

C,C,N,M,P,V,N,D,C, Vandy, UCLA, ND, Minnesota

Yeah definitely not gonna ride most of those.
Surprised at some of those waitlists (especially C D)

New

Post by 20140606 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:39 am

`
Last edited by 20140606 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsjo

New

Post by omgitsjo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:46 am

I'm considering submitting a photo of my large commemorative ram tattoo as a "letter of continued interest". I think it would be hilarious but I'm not sure if admissions committees have senses of humor. What do y'all think?
This brings up a good question... how much of our personality can we show in our LOCIs? I wanna be memorable and make some jokes but I don't want any AdComms to think I'm not taking it seriously.

New

Post by 20140606 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:55 am

`
Last edited by 20140606 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itsalyssa

New

Post by itsalyssa » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:55 pm

fragged wrote:I don't mind waitlists, but get rid of this stupid "we don't rank the waitlist" bullshit and tell me where I'm at. If I'm on page 2, just tell me so I can get on with my life and stop writing love letters to the adcomm.
+1

itsalyssa

New

Post by itsalyssa » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:04 pm

been waitlisted at my top school ive written 2 LOCI so far, drove seven hours to meet with director of admissions the week i found out i was waitlisted and have called a few times and spoke to admission staff. i dont want to stop corresponding with them, and was told that keeping in constant contact is the best way of upping my chances of getting in. any tlsers have any advice of what else i can do? i wrote to them about how much i love the school, my visit and what programs i know id fit best in. now i dont really know what to follow up with.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:16 pm

itsalyssa wrote:been waitlisted at my top school ive written 2 LOCI so far, drove seven hours to meet with director of admissions the week i found out i was waitlisted and have called a few times and spoke to admission staff. i dont want to stop corresponding with them, and was told that keeping in constant contact is the best way of upping my chances of getting in. any tlsers have any advice of what else i can do? i wrote to them about how much i love the school, my visit and what programs i know id fit best in. now i dont really know what to follow up with.
Bribery has been known to work. Nah but for real you seem to be covering all of your bases. Hopefully they see your persistence and it pays off.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:06 pm

istalyssa...you really cant do anything more than that. My friend knows the dean of admissions where I am waitlisted and she said that's pretty much all we can do. In all reality they wont start to accept off of the waitlist until they know what their numbers are like, and can fill in w/o dropping below a certain median. I was told most movement will happen after the second seat deposit for most schools so sit tight, we're most likely in for a long ride. Good luck e'rebody

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wfc

New

Post by wfc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Last edited by wfc on Tue May 10, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:07 pm

deposited at nyu; on the stanford, yale and harvard waitlists. so close yet so far. upsetting

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jtw2

New

Post by jtw2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:21 pm

I finally heard from my last school yesterday. I ended up with no rejections, 2 acceptances (Berkeley and NYU), and waitlists everywhere else (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, Michigan).

Are these sorts of results common? I know some people have many more waitlists, and have waitlists from a wider variety of schools, but I couldn't tell if those were many waitlists out of many more total applications. I also can't tell, is it common for people to receive lots of waitlists? Or is it just common among people on this thread?

I didn't apply until late January. Currently my plan is to reapply next year and to do it much earlier in the cycle. Should I scour my applications for some red flag that is concerning schools? My scores are 171/3.86.

Hopefully the fact that I'm not riding these out (and am turning down Berkeley and NYU) can help some of you. Maybe it seems like a strange choice on my part, but personal circumstances make it difficult to remain in limbo through the summer. (And I heard too late to reasonably visit Berkeley and NYU, etc etc.)

I'm a longtime lurker on these forums. Thanks for all the help I've received so far. (Although knowing I'd get my lsat score earlier than the official release date probably was more of a curse than a blessing.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Are you going to retake? I don't think you'll really beat a Berkley and NYU acceptance next cycle (I.E. I think the chances of you cracking HYS are, while possible, low).

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:42 pm

@ jtw2 -

I have essentially the same scores as you, but with a wl at Berkeley and acceptance at Columbia. This is about the best you can do with those numbers. unless you plan to retake and get a 174+, I think you're being dumb by turning down two incredible schools for a tiny shot at harvard yale Stanford next year. You might be able to crack in to Chicago, but unless thats where you have your heart set there I would just go to nyu or berk.

Disclaimer - I'm heading to nyu and riding hys waitlists - you still have a chance getting off any of these wls starting in may

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Applied to 18 schools, 10 waitlists as of this am!

I already got into one of my "reach" schools though so watevs.

Anybody beating me percentage wise? I'm still waiting on 2 apps

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:29 am

16 apps, wound up with 9 WLs (3/3/9 with one still pending). Starting to hear from a couple (Cardozo and GULC) and getting ready to lean on a few more as deposit deadlines approach.

Really hoping for good news from at least a few of these, but I'm worried about losing a bunch of deposit money trying to juggle them as they stagger in...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”