IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
n_gal

New

Re: IN at USC Class of 2014 - University of Southern California

Post by n_gal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 am

Puttanesca wrote:
glitter178 wrote:i got it too. confused about how to accept the loans. due to recent events with UCLA :roll: , it has been decided for me that i'll be attending USC next year
Sorry to hear about UCLA, but I guess we'll be classmates at USC in the fall! Anyone else pretty set on 'SC?
Yup, paid my deposit a few weeks ago, so I'll definitely be there :D

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 am

Anyone going to the Law School Day thing on Friday. Does the thing start at 8 AM or 830 AM? Also is there an itinerary of the day or anything online. Man I gotta wake up early and drive....

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am

Well, I got my financial aid email today. I went to the site and all it lists is loans. That's disappointing since I'm above both of their 75ths

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:38 am

Has anyone (successfully or unsuccessfully) tried to negotiate a scholly offer yet? Pls share or PM me.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:36 am

smokeylarue wrote:Anyone going to the Law School Day thing on Friday. Does the thing start at 8 AM or 830 AM? Also is there an itinerary of the day or anything online. Man I gotta wake up early and drive....
8am. But IIRC, it's just registration up until 8:30. I tried looking for an itinerary of the day online and could not find one. Did you RSVP for the event? When you did your RSVP, there should have been a schedule, and you should have signed up for some panels for the morning. I'm doing this completely from a vague memory, but I think it was registration from 7:30-8:30, some kind of welcome speech, maybe 2-3 panels, lunch, and then in the afternoon, there's a mock class and a fair to see all the student organizations and such. From 5:30-6:30, there is a closing reception.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stupendous_Man

Bronze

Post by Stupendous_Man » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Well, I got my financial aid email today. I went to the site and all it lists is loans. That's disappointing since I'm above both of their 75ths

Could be wrong about this, but from what I remember, the loans are through the FAFSA, which is completely separate from USC's scholarships. USC does a mix of need/merit (which ends up being mostly merit in my opinion) and I got mys cholarship offer in a separate letter. No idea what your specific situation is, but if you're surprised by what you got you may want to call to make sure.
Puttanesca wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:Anyone going to the Law School Day thing on Friday. Does the thing start at 8 AM or 830 AM? Also is there an itinerary of the day or anything online. Man I gotta wake up early and drive....
8am. But IIRC, it's just registration up until 8:30. I tried looking for an itinerary of the day online and could not find one. Did you RSVP for the event? When you did your RSVP, there should have been a schedule, and you should have signed up for some panels for the morning. I'm doing this completely from a vague memory, but I think it was registration from 7:30-8:30, some kind of welcome speech, maybe 2-3 panels, lunch, and then in the afternoon, there's a mock class and a fair to see all the student organizations and such. From 5:30-6:30, there is a closing reception.
I know the breakfast starts at 7:30, people filter in gradually and it depends on how comfortable/eager you are meeting potential new classmates and current students in an informal setting. I can't remember what the itinerary was but you've got something going the whole day, and I really enjoyed myself. The most valuable part of the day for me was the closing reception, because I got to just chat with current students about their lives, where to live, and what to expect. Plus it's a great opportunity to look around the school and see how people treat each other, and how happy they are with their lives (keeping in mind it's finals time). Perhaps the biggest treat of all is that I will be there! ...No, but seriously, it's fun and a great way to meet people no matter where you are in your decision process.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Stupendous_Man wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Well, I got my financial aid email today. I went to the site and all it lists is loans. That's disappointing since I'm above both of their 75ths

Could be wrong about this, but from what I remember, the loans are through the FAFSA, which is completely separate from USC's scholarships. USC does a mix of need/merit (which ends up being mostly merit in my opinion) and I got mys cholarship offer in a separate letter. No idea what your specific situation is, but if you're surprised by what you got you may want to call to make sure.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. I love that 'tar btw

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:58 pm

This was the hardest decision of my life but the answer and feeling of peace came to me a few days ago; the past few days I've just been trying to verify that it's the right decision with actual data.

I'm going to be a Trojan! Well. A Trojan Tar Heel... I'll always be a Heel. :-)

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:35 pm

innernetp wrote:This was the hardest decision of my life but the answer and feeling of peace came to me a few days ago; the past few days I've just been trying to verify that it's the right decision with actual data.

I'm going to be a Trojan! Well. A Trojan Tar Heel... I'll always be a Heel. :-)
Congrats on your decision to be a Trojan! I was all set on 'SC for the fall...but the Bruins might have gotten me (or not). Decisions, decisions, decisions. But I'll always be a Trojan...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stupendous_Man

Bronze

Post by Stupendous_Man » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:06 am

Once again, really excited to meet some of you tomorrow, bright and early! It's a great opportunity to get a feel for the school.

feyonce

New

Post by feyonce » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:10 am

just got back from the diversity reception and black law student association dinner. it was very nice, and everyone at usc is so friendly and fun!! i'm looking forward to meeting all of you tomorrow.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:08 am

In case there's someone who's waiting, I just withdrew from the Frank Rothman Scholarship offer.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:15 am

It is 1:15 a.m. and I can't sleep. I guess I will be skipping the admit day...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Just withdrew from my undergrad alma mater. Freed up some scholly $$$ and good luck to all future fellow Trojans!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey guys, I visited USC last week and just posted some photos if y'all want to check it out. (Beautiful campus!): http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=153448

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:51 am

Was unable to make the Law Day. Who wants to give me the skinny?

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Lot of interesting panels with faculty and current students. Very informative, they said some of the sessions were videotaped and will be put online for people that couldn't make it. Pretty nice 3 course lunch (salad, chicken, chocolate cake). Also lots of breakfast goodies in the morning. People all seemed pretty chill, lot of the current students seemed honest in their enthusiasm for the school and were pretty honest. One guy was saying in USC's prime, half the people would get the high paying jobs, he says its probably a quarter now. Weather was insanely good, I didn't get to see the main undergraduate campus which I hear is beautiful. The law school building itself on the outside is pretty ugly to be honest, inside was alright. Didn't stay for the ending stuff because I wanted to beat the LA traffic haha (which I failed).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 am

smokeylarue wrote:
snichols16 wrote:Was unable to make the Law Day. Who wants to give me the skinny?
Lot of interesting panels with faculty and current students. Very informative, they said some of the sessions were videotaped and will be put online for people that couldn't make it. Pretty nice 3 course lunch (salad, chicken, chocolate cake). Also lots of breakfast goodies in the morning. People all seemed pretty chill, lot of the current students seemed honest in their enthusiasm for the school and were pretty honest. One guy was saying in USC's prime, half the people would get the high paying jobs, he says its probably a quarter now. Weather was insanely good, I didn't get to see the main undergraduate campus which I hear is beautiful. The law school building itself on the outside is pretty ugly to be honest, inside was alright. Didn't stay for the ending stuff because I wanted to beat the LA traffic haha (which I failed).
+1. USC gave the impression that it tries to provide a lot of personalized attention in academic support, career services, etc. There was also a mock class that each of us attended - half went to the criminal law class and the other half went to property law. I went to the Property Law class (had to b/c we were assigned to a class by last name) with Professor Altman, and he made the class much more interesting than the cases themselves were. I did go to the reception at the end of the day, and it was basically an opportunity to mix and mingle with professors, current students, and other admits over some drinks. The current students seemed really happy about their experience at USC. Overall, I think the school did a good job of selling itself, but to be perfectly honest, I am not 100% sold (and this is coming from a Trojan undergrad). It might be for completely irrational personal reasons though. There was just something about the school that didn't click right with me. But those who weren't able to make it should definitely check out the videos of the panels to find out more. There were panels on student life, clinics, honors programs and clerkships, international programs, certificate programs, the Trojan network, etc.

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:10 am

I'll admit I couldn't stop discretely glancing at Dean Rasmussen's and Professor Armour's haircuts...

had a great time though. Made a really good impression on me. Got along with the students better than at any other school I've visited

ku1185

Bronze

Post by ku1185 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:I'll admit I couldn't stop discretely glancing at Dean Rasmussen's and Professor Armour's haircuts...

had a great time though. Made a really good impression on me. Got along with the students better than at any other school I've visited

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:28 pm

I loved Law Day. Everyone was so friendly, including professors and current students and the dean. Made me feel good about deciding to attend USC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FutureInLaw

Bronze

Post by FutureInLaw » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:10 am

Withdrew today! $60k back in the pot. Enjoy the amazing weather everyone!

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Any of the 4/1ers have their scholly info yet?

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Just withdrew. Would love to have attended, but it simply wasn't my best offer. goodluck to everyone else with their decisions, and I'm sure everyone who decides to attend will feel right at home at USC :-)

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:Just withdrew. Would love to have attended, but it simply wasn't my best offer. goodluck to everyone else with their decisions, and I'm sure everyone who decides to attend will feel right at home at USC :-)
Good luck and enjoy GULC (I think that's where you are headed...)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”