Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TOMaHULK

Silver

Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Post by TOMaHULK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools that you have been admitted into, and will not be attending?

I've noticed that some people on LS Numbers have sent withdrawals before having a decision, is there a reason for this?

kitchuel

New

Re: Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools?

Post by kitchuel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm not sure if it is necessary but it is a nice thing to do. If you send in a withdrawal someone on the wait list has a better chance of being admitted.
Last edited by kitchuel on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScarryBakhtin

Bronze

Post by ScarryBakhtin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Is it necessary to send withdrawal notices to schools that you have been admitted into, and will not be attending?

I've noticed that some people on LS Numbers have sent withdrawals before having a decision, is there a reason for this?
Courtesy. For every person who withdraws, another can be admitted.

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:32 pm

So, most of my schools are requesting a deposit or notice of intention to attend by April 15th (although I'm sure an extension can be given by some), is this the date you should wait for and then send out the withdrawal notices after?

Also, maybe a bit off topic - but is the seat deposit binding (non ED) or can you send to multiple schools and simply be out the money once a final decision is made (to keep options open)?

Thank for responses.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:36 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:So, most of my schools are requesting a deposit or notice of intention to attend by April 15th (although I'm sure an extension can be given by some), is this the date you should wait for and then send out the withdrawal notices after?

Also, maybe a bit off topic - but is the seat deposit binding (non ED) or can you send to multiple schools and simply be out the money once a final decision is made (to keep options open)?

Thank for responses.
Send out as many seat deposits as you'd like (unless a school specifies otherwise...though I've never heard of a non-ED situation in which that happened)

But since seat deposits are like $500? that money might be better spent just visiting that school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TOMaHULK

Silver

Post by TOMaHULK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 pm

jeremysen wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:So, most of my schools are requesting a deposit or notice of intention to attend by April 15th (although I'm sure an extension can be given by some), is this the date you should wait for and then send out the withdrawal notices after?

Thank for responses.
Send out as many seat deposits as you'd like (unless a school specifies otherwise...though I've never heard of a non-ED situation in which that happened)

But since seat deposits are like $500? that money might be better spent just visiting that school.
With a couple of schools it may come down to scholarship dollars negotiations and location. So there may be a need to make more than one, which may be worth it to have your options remaining. One school told me they could definetely give me an extention on that deadline, which is nice.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Columbia specifically said they frown upon multiple seat deposits and reserve the right to rescind your offer of admission if you do it

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Schools are generous about giving extensions on most post-admission deadlines for the asking. Just explain the situation. They'll work with you.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 pm

kitchuel wrote:I'm not sure if it is necessary but it is a nice thing to do. If you send in a withdrawal someone on the wait list has a better chance of being admitted.
No they won't. And withdrawing early is stupid. I know a TLSer who got a massive increase in merit aid right before the deposit date.

Don't withdraw early. You don't benefit from it at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kitchuel wrote:I'm not sure if it is necessary but it is a nice thing to do. If you send in a withdrawal someone on the wait list has a better chance of being admitted.
No they won't. And withdrawing early is stupid. I know a TLSer who got a massive increase in merit aid right before the deposit date.

This is probably true, though it seems counter-intuitive. Schools are unlikely to be taking people off the WL before they've finished going through the applicant pool, so you're probably not doing WL people any good by withdrawing before the deposit date.

But think about it in terms of prioritization: if you've been accepted to a school that--regardless of money--you would prefer to attend than others you've gotten into, then it's probably better to go ahead and withdraw from those. It doesn't hurt you, and at the worst it makes it easier on the admissions folks (who have done you a good turn in accepting you) with putting together their class. I expect most people have a list of low-interest schools they applied to just because they got a waiver...

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:57 am

bigjinjapan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This is probably true, though it seems counter-intuitive. Schools are unlikely to be taking people off the WL before they've finished going through the applicant pool, so you're probably not doing WL people any good by withdrawing before the deposit date.

But think about it in terms of prioritization: if you've been accepted to a school that--regardless of money--you would prefer to attend than others you've gotten into, then it's probably better to go ahead and withdraw from those. It doesn't hurt you, and at the worst it makes it easier on the admissions folks (who have done you a good turn in accepting you) with putting together their class. I expect most people have a list of low-interest schools they applied to just because they got a waiver...
+1.. my october lsat was significantly lower than my december score, and as a result i sent applications to schools that i now would hardly consider. upon receiving a good scholarship from one of my top choices, i withdrew a few of those apps just because even if i were offered full rides, i still wouldn't take it over my other option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”