IN AT Georgetown PART-TIME c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hipstermafia

Silver

Re: IN AT Georgetown PART-TIME c/o 2015

Post by hipstermafia » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 pm

fetalposition wrote:Hmm that COL thing kind of sucks. Oh well. Does anyone have some apartment recommendations? Also, do part-timers have to same access to OCI?
They assume you will be working and can use salary towards COL.

As for apartments, there are nice high rises within walking distance of campus but they are horribly expensive. It's a big city with tons of housing. Do you have any idea where you would like to live, like near the law center or elsewhere in the city? Apartment? House? Roommates? Price range?

fetalposition

New

Post by fetalposition » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
fetalposition wrote:Hmm that COL thing kind of sucks. Oh well. Does anyone have some apartment recommendations? Also, do part-timers have to same access to OCI?
They assume you will be working and can use salary towards COL.

As for apartments, there are nice high rises within walking distance of campus but they are horribly expensive. It's a big city with tons of housing. Do you have any idea where you would like to live, like near the law center or elsewhere in the city? Apartment? House? Roommates? Price range?
I'd like to live as close to campus as possible as I will be commuting via Metro, bike, or foot. Wouldn't mind roommates, don't care if it's an apartment/house (prefer apartment), and I'd like to pay somewhere between $500 and $1,000 a month. The G-town high rises work out to be like $1,300 a month at the cheapest, so that would be my ceiling (otherwise I'd just do the high rise).

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:41 pm

fetalposition wrote:I'd like to live as close to campus as possible as I will be commuting via Metro, bike, or foot. Wouldn't mind roommates, don't care if it's an apartment/house (prefer apartment), and I'd like to pay somewhere between $500 and $1,000 a month. The G-town high rises work out to be like $1,300 a month at the cheapest, so that would be my ceiling (otherwise I'd just do the high rise).
Well, in general living in a house is usualy cheaper than an apartment, and living with roommates is usually cheaper than living without. I don't know ANYONE who pays less than $750 a month in dc proper (and this person actually lives in a closet, like an actual closet), probably around $1000 a month is average of people i know who live in houses with 2+ roommates. People i know in apartments are more like 1200-1400 a month. I think gulc full time budget estimates $1100 for rent a month, and they specify that this estimate is for living with at least one roommate. If you're not within walking/biking distance to gulc be sure to add in the price of the metro a month, and keep in mind metro fares are likely to continue to rise in the future.

I think gulc has a housing office, it might be good to talk through options with them. if not, the internet is your friend. craigslist, apartment websites, etc.

edit to say there are a good number of apartment complexes in upper NW that are pretty reasonable, around cleveland park or tenleytown. They're a distance from gulc, but on the same metro line.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 am

In case anyone else needs this info - I was a bit confused about tuition cost for the first year of the program so I talked to financial aid, the tuition for first year is $33,500 which works out to be 20 credits (each credit hour is $1,675 says the budget sheet).

juevonate

New

Post by juevonate » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm in! The "job" I'll be working at doesn't actually pay, so here's hoping something gets worked out regarding financial aid.

I'm guessing the majority of part-time students already have a job in DC, and won't be looking for housing, but I definitely am on the look out.

Looking forward to meeting y'all!

Chris

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”