Accepted to FIU... Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drummerboy

Silver

Re: Accepted to FIU...

Post by drummerboy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:20 am

i know i think fiu is going to be the right choice. im still waiting on fsu /uf

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:31 am

drummerboy wrote:i know i think fiu is going to be the right choice. im still waiting on fsu /uf
If you are accepted into either of schools I would attend, even at sticker. FIU is nice and all, but I'm not throwing down all that money for "up and coming". Along with a tough curve and I am not fond of the environment.

That being said, I have been extolling the virtues of FIU over UM at sticker for quite some time now.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:39 am

i again agree. but its conceivable that although i might get into higher ranked schools ill simply have to decline for the same monetary reasons we applied to stetson/ um. since im not planning on retaking again, fiu mabe be my destiny. as i mentioned in another thread, if i get into some school in the 20 to 100 range , the general consensus is that anything over 14 or maybe 18 will never be worth ticket. do you agree?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:43 am

drummerboy wrote:i again agree. but its conceivable that although i might get into higher ranked schools ill simply have to decline for the same monetary reasons we applied to stetson/ um. since im not planning on retaking again, fiu mabe be my destiny. as i mentioned in another thread, if i get into some school in the 20 to 100 range , the general consensus is that anything over 14 or maybe 18 will never be worth ticket. do you agree?
Way too many factors for a blanket statement like your last one. However, I take issue with you saying FIU is your destiny and that you do not plan on retaking. Did you break 160? If you didn't, there is no reason you should be held down the rest of your life by a score you could have improved on. You are never going to get a chance to directly affect your future with one single thing like the LSAT again. If you have a decent GPA and break 160, every school in Florida is open to you, along with scholarship opportunities. Don't handcuff yourself by thinking you have to start your life now. FIU is not a bad school, but if I wasn't accepted to UF/FSU and had to pay sticker at UM, I would forsake the rest, retake, and apply next cycle.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:47 am

tas817 wrote:I went to FIU undergrad. My professor and law school counselor went to FIU law while teaching Poli Sci courses. The dean told the graduating class that they could tell employers that FIU had the hardest curve in the country.I believe the top grad had something 3.7-3.8. If you know for sure you want to practice in S. FL, don't want alot of debt, and don't have your heart dead set on big law FIU is a good choice (can still get it). I will say this they have an outrageously good faculty for a t4 school and being so young. Also the law school is located in the easiest place to find parking at FIU which is HUGE DEAL at FIU. Good luck all. The school is also building up a real nice reputation in Miami within the legal community.

Did you really just say that FIU grads are getting biglaw jobs in any number large enough to mean anything?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:48 am

what?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:00 am

drummerboy wrote:what?
tas817 said: "[If you] don't have your heart dead set on big law FIU is a good choice (can still get it)."

My point was that to suggest that FIU grads get big law jobs in any number large enough to be consequential is a gross overstatement.

I'd also like to note that his point about the curve is inconsequential, and should probably deter students from going to the school. When it comes to legal hiring, class rank is really all that matters. That said, having "one of the most difficult curves in the country" is nothing but a disservice to your students when it comes to jobs.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:02 am

drummerboy wrote:i know i think fiu is going to be the right choice. im still waiting on fsu /uf
I don't know you personally, so I have no idea about what kind of "go-getter" you are or are not. And I'm not saying you don't, but as a law student, you've got to have a pair of balls.

Basically, don't wimp out to save money by going to a less opportunistic school because you're afraid of debt. In my opinion, if you're afraid, than that's a sign that you aren't built to overachieve. You should be cautious, but don't be completely debt avoidant. It's worth spending more money on the school if it will open more doors. Don't settle, that's all I'm saying.

This isn't even so much about "FIU vs UM"; it's more of a general statement. Balance out the pros and cons of FIU and UM. Decide for yourself. FIU is a good school. I'm still researching, but I know a lot of intelligent people who had high numbers that are attending.

Likewise, I know some recent UM grads making GREAT money. They took out a lot in loans, and they aren't being crybabies about it, contrary to the red flags I often read from users on TLS when critiquing someone's choice of school. If I asked these people that I know if the debt is worth it, I know they will say yes. Given, that's just a select sample of people that I know, but still...

That's just my two cents. But again, I don't know you or your ambitions. Best of luck deciding. After the researching is said and done, go with your instincts.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:06 am

UM sucks. Florida sucks. Get out if you can.

Drummerboy, dont settle for FIU. Hell, dont settle for UM. Sure FIU is cheaper, but that shouldnt be your only consideration. What good is a $8000/yr FIU JD if you cant find a worthwhile legal job? Unless you want to do crap work for Pepe Fernandez the Hialeah injury lawyer, do not settle for FIU.

Retake the LSAT if you can and aim for UF or FSU. Both schools have huge alumni networks and have more reach in the state. FIU will limit you to the immediate south florida area. Unemployment is high, local governments are in the red and the state economy wont improve for years. Take your chances with UF or FSU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:29 am

thanks guys for your emphatic answers. i love florida and my entire family has lived here since the 1960s i will definitely weigh the pros and cons of all that has been said and make my decision once the cycle is over. im being very premature about my choices since i technically dont have any yet.ill keep everyone up to date.

tas817

New

Post by tas817 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
drummerboy wrote:what?
tas817 said: "[If you] don't have your heart dead set on big law FIU is a good choice (can still get it)."

My point was that to suggest that FIU grads get big law jobs in any number large enough to be consequential is a gross overstatement.

I'd also like to note that his point about the curve is inconsequential, and should probably deter students from going to the school. When it comes to legal hiring, class rank is really all that matters. That said, having "one of the most difficult curves in the country" is nothing but a disservice to your students when it comes to jobs.

Yes I agree that the number of students getting a Big Law spot out of FIU is probably very small. I wanted to just qualify my statement about not being dead set on big law that it is still possible b/c there are grads getting those positions. The point I made about the curve was meant to be viewed as a negative. I totally agree that overly tough curves don't help students in anyway.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:02 pm

did you guys submit a 3rd lor. i didn't know if they were too serious about having 3 before they made a decision.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:59 pm

mattviphky wrote:did you guys submit a 3rd lor. i didn't know if they were too serious about having 3 before they made a decision.
No.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KJenae

New

Post by KJenae » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08 pm

Bless wrote:Status updated to "Decision rendered, letter mailed" on the 24th. I live an hour away and haven't received anything yet :|

My GPA and LSAT are both above their top 75 percentiles, so it should be an acceptance. I haven't heard back from any schools yet except for a denial from W&L (which was a reach), so I'm eager to receive this letter.
This is my first time trying to respond to someone so I hope I'm doing it right but I had a "decision rendered, letter mailed" status and I had to call because it never came...I was accepted though.

fins27

New

Post by fins27 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm

My numbers aren't stellar, 153/3.5, want and need to stay in south florida for the next few years, and FIU is my top choice. Haven't heard back yet though, is it realistic that I will get in? Have already been accepted with $10,000/yr to NSU.

KJenae

New

Post by KJenae » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:44 pm

fins27 wrote:My numbers aren't stellar, 153/3.5, want and need to stay in south florida for the next few years, and FIU is my top choice. Haven't heard back yet though, is it realistic that I will get in? Have already been accepted with $10,000/yr to NSU.
I think so...I'm a 150/3.24 and was accepted so I would think so...I have a lot of softs on my side but ur scores are around their medians so I dnt see y not

fins27

New

Post by fins27 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 am

Seems like everyone I know has been accepted...anyone know at what point/date it becomes unrealistic to continue waiting for an acceptance? Does it look good to contact the admissions office to inquire about my status?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:39 am

i havent been accepted to fiu yet but i was recently accepyed to stetson 156 3.8

fsunoles88

New

Post by fsunoles88 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:58 pm

Still waiting for me decisions letter, thinking about calling them/emailing them since the letter was mailed last monday and still hasn't reached my house which is 20 minutes south of the school. I am pretty pessimistic about my chances (151 3.04), but I do have a positive trend with grades, and I do have some other good things on my App. I might just wait and retake in June, and try for fall 2012. Good luck to everyone here.

KJenae

New

Post by KJenae » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 pm

fsunoles88 wrote:Still waiting for me decisions letter, thinking about calling them/emailing them since the letter was mailed last monday and still hasn't reached my house which is 20 minutes south of the school. I am pretty pessimistic about my chances (151 3.04), but I do have a positive trend with grades, and I do have some other good things on my App. I might just wait and retake in June, and try for fall 2012. Good luck to everyone here.

Awh my fellow Seminole...I don't think you should worry. I do recommend going up there to speak with the Dean since you live so close. Also, I had to call up there because I never received my letter and it had been a week since the status checker said "decision rendered, letter mailed". If you can't go up there call, don't email...too impersonal. Let them know that you really want to be there, and if it is your first choice tell them that. Hope this helps. Good Luck :)

fsunoles88

New

Post by fsunoles88 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Yea go noles! And panthers(possibly lol). I called but the receptionist girl is pretty anal about waiting till next Wednesday before they tell me over the phone. I will probably go and visit next Monday if I haven't received it yet. Worst case scenario I'll retake in June and maybe shoot for Fsu in 2012. FIU is appealing because Im from Miami and nothing beats saving rent and living at home!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KJenae

New

Post by KJenae » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:41 pm

fsunoles88 wrote:Yea go noles! And panthers(possibly lol). I called but the receptionist girl is pretty anal about waiting till next Wednesday before they tell me over the phone. I will probably go and visit next Monday if I haven't received it yet. Worst case scenario I'll retake in June and maybe shoot for Fsu in 2012. FIU is appealing because Im from Miami and nothing beats saving rent and living at home!
:-)...when I called I spoke to the dean and she told me to email her at admit@fiu.edu that I would like my status via email. As soon as I emailed that address she responded with an acceptance email. I never spoke to the receptionist.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Status checker change today : Decision Rendered Will receive via snail mail.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:11 pm

1L evening student here...if you have any questions, just ask...I will try to answer ASAP

I posted a separate thread for this

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=147030

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:08 pm

tas817 wrote:I went to FIU undergrad. My professor and law school counselor went to FIU law while teaching Poli Sci courses. The dean told the graduating class that they could tell employers that FIU had the hardest curve in the country.I believe the top grad had something 3.7-3.8. If you know for sure you want to practice in S. FL, don't want alot of debt, and don't have your heart dead set on big law FIU is a good choice (can still get it). I will say this they have an outrageously good faculty for a t4 school and being so young. Also the law school is located in the easiest place to find parking at FIU which is HUGE DEAL at FIU. Good luck all. The school is also building up a real nice reputation in Miami within the legal community.

The curve isnt as tough anymore....between a B and a B- The year before it was between a C and a C+.
The faculty is extremely noteworthy as well as the adminsitration. A true dedication to the legal profession.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”