withdrawing letter Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
northwood

Platinum

withdrawing letter

Post by northwood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 am

What do you need to say in a letter when you are withdrawing your application ( after you have been accepted with a scholarship offer)? I dont want it to come off as "thanks, but its not good enough, so im not coming" or have them feel as though they never had a chance to get me to go there, but I dont want to make it sound like a breakup speech either. SHould I tell them basically that I am grateful for the acceptance and scholarship, but would like to inform the admissions people sooner that I will not be accepting it, so they can offer it to someone else. What do I need to change in my rough draft below?

How does this sound as a rough draft for the letter ( I want to email it by 5pm tomorrow)

Dear Sir or Madame( letter will be addressed to the person who wrote my acceptance letter):
Thank you for taking the time to review my application and for granting me admission to your school. Choosing a Law School to attend is both an exciting and life altering decision. While I have not made up my final decision as to which school I will be attending in the fall, I believe it is only fair that since I will not be attending_________- law, that another deserving applicant be offered my scholarship to attend the school of their dreams. Again, thank you for your time and offer. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
Sincerely,
Northwood

thanks for your help

DeeCee

Silver

Re: withdrawing letter

Post by DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:41 am

northwood wrote:
How does this sound as a rough draft for the letter ( I want to email it by 5pm tomorrow)

Dear Sir or Madame( letter will be addressed to the person who wrote my acceptance letter):
Thank you for taking the time to review my application and for granting me admission to your school. Choosing a Law School to attend is both an exciting and life altering decision. While I have not made up my final decision as to which school I will be attending in the fall, I believe it is only fair that since I will not be attending_________- law, that another deserving applicant be offered my scholarship to attend the school of their dreams. Again, thank you for your time. and offer. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
Sincerely,
Northwood
Sounds as good as it can get to me except for that last sentence, which I think is very awkward. I almost didn't know you weren't going since you were so nice. I probably would have started with:

"Dear so and so,

While I thank xxx Law for the generous scholarship, I regret to inform you that I will not be attending xxx Law this fall."

Also, Is it protocol to email this, or should you call/write a letter? I also am wondering about how to address withdrawing. Anyone else have ideas?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 am

that's very friendly, but probably a bit too much. I don't think it needs to be so flowery. "Thank you very much for the admission offer and scholarship. I have ultimately decided not to attend x school" should be sufficient. They are not going to be offended.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:51 am

thanks! I had absolutely no idea how to tell them no. I guess I didnt want to break their hearts too coldluy ( ha!) I know its ultimately a business decision, but id prefer to be somewhat personable.( guess im too nice)

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 am

This is what I wrote:

"Hello,
Thank you for honoring me with an acceptance to the _ School of Law. I have also been accepted to several other law schools and intend to ultimately enroll at one of them. I would like to withdraw my application and offer of admission from _ in hopes of freeing up a seat for another deserving applicant.

Thank you,
sgtgrumbles"

Keep it simple. They're not going to have their hearts broken by your withdrawal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:20 pm

this is a most helpful thread.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:48 pm

I don't see what all the fuss is about. As long as you don't sound like an ass I doubt it would matter. What are they going to do, rescind your offer? Oh wait...

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Are people generally emailing or snail mailing withdraw letters?

yepyep

New

Post by yepyep » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:02 pm

northwood wrote:What do you need to say in a letter when you are withdrawing your application ( after you have been accepted with a scholarship offer)? I dont want it to come off as "thanks, but its not good enough, so im not coming" or have them feel as though they never had a chance to get me to go there, but I dont want to make it sound like a breakup speech either. SHould I tell them basically that I am grateful for the acceptance and scholarship, but would like to inform the admissions people sooner that I will not be accepting it, so they can offer it to someone else. What do I need to change in my rough draft below?

Thank you for taking the time to review my application and for granting me admission to your school. Choosing a Law School to attend is both an exciting and life altering decision. While I have not made up my final decision as to which school I will be attending in the fall, I believe it is only fair that since I will not be attending_________- law, that another deserving applicant be offered my scholarship to attend the school of their dreams. Again, thank you for your time and offer. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
Sincerely,
Northwood

thanks for your help
Not sure that much thought needs to go into it. Express thanks for the offer and be concise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 pm

slax wrote:Are people generally emailing or snail mailing withdraw letters?
Depends on the school... some give specific withdrawal forms.. Im doing Cornell and GULC via email since they didnt send anything

goingeast

New

Post by goingeast » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Great thread idea. I'm getting ready to write a couple of these as well, and I think brief and to-the-point makes the most sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”