IN at GW c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bk1

Diamond

Re: IN at GW c/o 2014

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Flips88 wrote:I'm not saying I expected the full $16k/yr, but I expected something . American gave me $10k/yr in need-based aid and they're astronomically less well endowed than GW. I'm just not a fan of GW's merit money and need-based money allotment. It leaves a lot of people with a lot and a lot of people with nothing.
Law school is a privilege, not a right. I'm not sure I agree that anybody actually deserves need aid for grad school, but that is a whole separate argument.

I actually kind of agree with the hand out a lot or don't hand out anything at all. When CoA is $220k+, handing out $30k to everyone is basically a pittance.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 pm

maglialoro wrote:I think schools should really just take all their need based aid and throw it into their LRAP's. Because with the exception of a few cases, most need occurs upon graduation.
We are really good at saying essentially the same thing at essentially the same time.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:49 pm

What about the people who don't do PI/gov and don't make biglaw... aka the majority of GW's graduating class?

You can't just narrow it down to LRAP jobs and biglaw jobs because a lot more than that exists.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:54 pm

bk187 wrote:What about the people who don't do PI/gov and don't make biglaw... aka the majority of GW's graduating class?

You can't just narrow it down to LRAP jobs and biglaw jobs because a lot more than that exists.
You're right. I should have just said people making under $XXk a year.

Michigan's new LRAP should really be the guidepost for ALL new LRAPs. It doesn't specify what you're doing, it just specifies that if you are making under a certain amount in a legal job you get aid.

--LinkRemoved--

Sorry for the derail.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:55 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
bk187 wrote:What about the people who don't do PI/gov and don't make biglaw... aka the majority of GW's graduating class?

Michigan's new LRAP should really be the guidepost for ALL new LRAPs. It doesn't specify what you're doing, it just specifies that if you are making under a certain amount in a legal job you get aid.

--LinkRemoved--

Sorry for the derail.
Isn't IBR a federal program too?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Sorry for the derail.
Isn't IBR a federal program too?
Yes. Most of the LRAP programs are now wrapping around the IBR benefits as it reduces the LRAPs liability.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:12 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Sorry for the derail.
Ironically enough GW has one of the worst LRAPs imaginable.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:14 pm

bk187 wrote:
So far Vanderbilt's strikes me as the worst I've seen. If you make $34k or under you get 50% of your payment, if you make $50k or under then you get 20%. Above $50k and you're on your own.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
So far Vanderbilt's strikes me as the worst I've seen. If you make $34k or under you get 50% of your payment, if you make $50k or under then you get 20%. Above $50k and you're on your own.
GW can reject people who apply to their LRAP. While it seems like all places have you apply, GW's words theirs pretty stringently:
GWU warns that LRAP loans are not guaranteed to any graduates; selection into the program and amount of funding is up to the discretion of the LRAP Committee.

GW also caps their LRAP awards at $8,000/year. Also, GW's only applies to jobs that serve underrepresented peoples (so not just any PI/gov job will qualify).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:36 pm

$15k/ yr need based, for others reference. Withdrawing soon.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Did you guys see the new email from Dean Richard with the PDF of Class of 2010 employment statistics?? A lot less people going to law firms this year, but holler at 9% going to clerkships! Quite a lot of business and industry, but still not looking too shabby salary wise. Median government salary at $71,000 :shock:

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:50 am

minuit wrote:Did you guys see the new email from Dean Richard with the PDF of Class of 2010 employment statistics?? A lot less people going to law firms this year, but holler at 9% going to clerkships! Quite a lot of business and industry, but still not looking too shabby salary wise. Median government salary at $71,000 :shock:
I'm probably going to be depositing at GW so I hate to be a debbie downer, but:

1. Double the amount of business (from 7% 2009 to 14% 2010) - This is where you find all the Starbucks baristas so this has me worried.

2. Double the amount of government (from 10% to 20%) - Don't know what to make of this really.

3. 9% Clerkships - These aren't necessarily the prestigious/desirable clerkships that TLS talks of when they say clerkship so hard to make something of this without more info.

4. Median gov't salary - That is the median reported salary and we don't know how many are reporting.

5. $150k gov't salary - What the fuck is this position?

6. Average salary down by $10k from last year. - To be expected.

7. I really feel like this data is worse than useless without more information regarding amount reporting and feel like they want to seem forthright without being forthright.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:11 am

bk187 wrote:
minuit wrote:Did you guys see the new email from Dean Richard with the PDF of Class of 2010 employment statistics?? A lot less people going to law firms this year, but holler at 9% going to clerkships! Quite a lot of business and industry, but still not looking too shabby salary wise. Median government salary at $71,000 :shock:
I'm probably going to be depositing at GW so I hate to be a debbie downer, but:

1. Double the amount of business (from 7% 2009 to 14% 2010) - This is where you find all the Starbucks baristas so this has me worried.

2. Double the amount of government (from 10% to 20%) - Don't know what to make of this really.

3. 9% Clerkships - These aren't necessarily the prestigious/desirable clerkships that TLS talks of when they say clerkship so hard to make something of this without more info.

4. Median gov't salary - That is the median reported salary and we don't know how many are reporting.

5. $150k gov't salary - What the fuck is this position?

6. Average salary down by $10k from last year. - To be expected.

7. I really feel like this data is worse than useless without more information regarding amount reporting and feel like they want to seem forthright without being forthright.
seriously. 14% business + 6% academia + 5% unemployed = a quarter of the class that probably got completely fucked. oh, and no stat for % reporting (would be nice if someone asked this at preview weekend).

do not like.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:18 am

fatduck wrote:seriously. 14% business + 6% academia + 5% unemployed = a quarter of the class that probably got completely fucked. oh, and no stat for % reporting (would be nice if someone asked this at preview weekend).

do not like.
And yet probably still better than every other school other than the T18/BC/BU/Fordham. FML.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:43 am

6% academia, wow. USNWR needs to stop counting temporary make-work jobs in law school admin as academia. Schools all through the top 20 are doing this and it's the most transparent gaming of the statistics I'm aware of.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:06 am

suspicious android wrote:6% academia, wow. USNWR needs to stop counting temporary make-work jobs in law school admin as academia. Schools all through the top 20 are doing this and it's the most transparent gaming of the statistics I'm aware of.
Academia counts people pursuing graduate degrees as well, I believe.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:05 am

bk187 wrote:
suspicious android wrote:6% academia, wow. USNWR needs to stop counting temporary make-work jobs in law school admin as academia. Schools all through the top 20 are doing this and it's the most transparent gaming of the statistics I'm aware of.
Academia counts people pursuing graduate degrees as well, I believe.
No, I think people pursuing degrees are in the group that is "Not looking for work."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:16 am

bk187 wrote:
fatduck wrote:seriously. 14% business + 6% academia + 5% unemployed = a quarter of the class that probably got completely fucked. oh, and no stat for % reporting (would be nice if someone asked this at preview weekend).

do not like.
And yet probably still better than every other school other than the T18/BC/BU/Fordham. FML.
yeah, i generally agree with you guys, just trying to look on the bright side ;) and bk, i am actually really surprised you are probably depositing at GW.

also, i agree, WTF is that 150k government position?

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Yeah, bk I'm surprised too. I'm depositing here and BU. I almost cried/had an aneurysm/etc when I saw the estimated cost of attendance: $74,400. Even with the money, thats well over 100 g's. 55k at BU makes GW less than 10k cheaper, which I don't think is significant enough to sway me. Leaning BU, but I will visit first.

And yeah, the stats are ridiculous. What is "business"? Can't imagine many going in-house, and I don't think GW is a consultancy powerhouse.

20% government does not sound suspicious for a school in D.C., to be fair, but then you see that it doubled from last year. Yeah... I know a 3L at GW who doesn't even want to be a lawyer anymore and is going to grad school, but I think most weren't like that and got screwed. Who knows.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:Yeah, bk I'm surprised too. I'm depositing here and BU. I almost cried/had an aneurysm/etc when I saw the estimated cost of attendance: $74,400. Even with the money, thats well over 100 g's. 55k at BU makes GW less than 10k cheaper, which I don't think is significant enough to sway me. Leaning BU, but I will visit first.

And yeah, the stats are ridiculous. What is "business"? Can't imagine many going in-house, and I don't think GW is a consultancy powerhouse.

20% government does not sound suspicious for a school in D.C., to be fair, but then you see that it doubled from last year. Yeah... I know a 3L at GW who doesn't even want to be a lawyer anymore and is going to grad school, but I think most weren't like that and got screwed. Who knows.
All schools have a business section of employment. I don't think GW's is particularly worse than anybody else, but the jump from 7 to 14 percent is worrying.

GW does tend to send more to gov, but I agree that the jump is what doesn't make sense.

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 am

I'm sorry GW, but no money means no dice, especially when coupled with vague employment stats.

Withdrawn today.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:50 am

The 150k for gov't may be at the PTO. I know if someone were to work here for all four (four and a half) years of school they would be at a pretty high pay grade, plus OT here is legit.

Lord_Roy

New

Post by Lord_Roy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:09 am

So I've been trying to get in touch with the JD admission office via email, because I wanted to ask a few questions regarding student visa (international applicant) and grade transcripts, but I haven't received any replies yet. I sent an email to dean Richard on April 4 and to the JD admissions office on April 18 and again today to dean Richard. Am I the only one they seem to be totally ignoring? I already paid the seat deposit and don't like the idea of being shunned. Any thoughts?

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:51 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:Yeah, bk I'm surprised too. I'm depositing here and BU. I almost cried/had an aneurysm/etc when I saw the estimated cost of attendance: $74,400. Even with the money, thats well over 100 g's. 55k at BU makes GW less than 10k cheaper, which I don't think is significant enough to sway me. Leaning BU, but I will visit first.

I'm guessing you got the ~106k offer from GW?

I was looking at GW's breakdown of COA. What are loan origination/guarantee fees? If you're not taking out loans, do you still have to pay those?

And where did you get the $74.4k from? I know it's not the 2010-11 COA because that number is around 4k lower, and the 2011-12 COA hasn't been released yet (at least to my knowledge). So, is that your estimate?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Lord_Roy wrote:So I've been trying to get in touch with the JD admission office via email, because I wanted to ask a few questions regarding student visa (international applicant) and grade transcripts, but I haven't received any replies yet. I sent an email to dean Richard on April 4 and to the JD admissions office on April 18 and again today to dean Richard. Am I the only one they seem to be totally ignoring? I already paid the seat deposit and don't like the idea of being shunned. Any thoughts?
Call them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”