Layman's Prestige Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Diamond

Re: Layman's Prestige

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:40 am

Nobody has ever heard of NYU, Penn, UVA, or Chicago.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:Nobody has ever heard of NYU, Penn, UVA, or Chicago.
I wouldn't lump Penn in. But overall this is tcr.

sooner28

New

Post by sooner28 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:56 am

+1

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:48 am

megaTTTron wrote:
I wouldn't lump Penn in. But overall this is tcr.
Penn should definitely be on this list.

I had heard of Chicago, but only because the Oriental Institute is there :oops: :oops:

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:40 am

And the only reason anyone ever heard Michigan is football.

Georgetown stops being impressive West of the Appalachians.

University of Chicago is less impressive in Chicago because people ask if you know their brother who goes to University of Illinois at Chicago.

And the only think people know about Duke on this side of the Mason Dixon line is that you apparently have rape problems.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:32 am

Nightrunner wrote:I can vouch that G'Town's lay prestige extends at least to the Mississippi.
And I can say from recent experience that it extends at least as far as the Rocky Mountains.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:35 am

Nightrunner wrote:I can vouch that G'Town's lay prestige extends at least to the Mississippi.
Alaska :)

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:52 am

Yup, over break people asked where I was going and I said "Probably Michigan," I got a lot of "oh, that's nice..."

Some family friends had heard that I'd gotten into Gulc earlier and were I think a little horrified that I'm turning it down.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:18 am

I'm almost going to Prestige in Call of Duty: Black Ops! Now I can play prestige modes!!! Yes!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:39 am

Seriously though, I'm just wondering why this is a topic of conversation at all. I don't get the point, but ok.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:43 am

It has a lot of rep here in Texas, among lawyers I know. Everyone has been much more impressed than they should be that I got in.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:47 am

When I told people that I'm going to UVA, I was told:"Why don't you go to Brooklyn Law? Isn't it Top 10?"

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:37 pm

True... even for someone that's never heard of it the name sounds kinda fancy so they assume its a good school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:52 pm

any person that would not know that nyu, penn, chicago or uva are excellent law schools would not be the type of person that i would be trying to impress. any one in the legal or business world think these schools are extremely impressive. why do people care if moms that went to community colleges heard of their school? they dont know shit other than who embarrassed who on real housewives of ny.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:13 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:any person that would not know that nyu, penn, chicago or uva are excellent law schools would not be the type of person that i would be trying to impress. any one in the legal or business world think these schools are extremely impressive. why do people care if moms that went to community colleges heard of their school? they dont know shit other than who embarrassed who on real housewives of ny.
Chicks bro. Chicks. Get on my level.

icouldbuyu

Bronze

Post by icouldbuyu » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:18 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:any person that would not know that nyu, penn, chicago or uva are excellent law schools would not be the type of person that i would be trying to impress. any one in the legal or business world think these schools are extremely impressive. why do people care if moms that went to community colleges heard of their school? they dont know shit other than who embarrassed who on real housewives of ny.
Chicks bro. Chicks. Get on my level.
+1

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Lol, the funny thing about these threads is that everyone knows the answer. You tell laypeople, or even academics, you got into Harvard law and its like they just watched the world explode. No other school is even in the same stratosphere.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:41 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Lol, the funny thing about these threads is that everyone knows the answer. You tell laypeople, or even academics, you got into Harvard law and its like they just watched the world explode. No other school is even in the same stratosphere.
Don't be one of those people Mr. Haaaaaaarvard lol, but you're right although mentioning Yale would produce the same response

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:31 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Lol, the funny thing about these threads is that everyone knows the answer. You tell laypeople, or even academics, you got into Harvard law and its like they just watched the world explode. No other school is even in the same stratosphere.
Don't be one of those people Mr. Haaaaaaarvard lol, but you're right although mentioning Yale would produce the same response
I'd be willing to bet that the average non-educated joe schmo would likely believe HLS is slightly more impressive than YLS. Insert the Legally Blonde effect.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:39 pm

RJ127 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that the average non-educated joe schmo would likely believe HLS is slightly more impressive than YLS. Insert the Legally Blonde effect.
Good point haha

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Georgetown stops being impressive West of the Appalachians.
Georgetown is a Big East school with 5 Final Four appearances. It never stops being impressive.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:41 pm

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:21 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Georgetown stops being impressive West of the Appalachians.
Georgetown is a Big East school with 5 Final Four appearances. It never stops being impressive.
TBH, my interest in Georgetown does have a little to do with the undergrad basketball team...I'm a big fan

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:03 pm

IMHO, lay prestige is created by culture generators e.g. movies, TV, radio, magazines, etc.

People know of Georgetown, UMich, UT Austin, Duke and the like through ESPN, so they don't know that they're good schools, just that they have good teams. They know Nicholas Cage is smart in National Treasure because the detective says he has a Master's from Georgetown. They know HLS is amazing because Legally Blonde goes on forever about it. They know that Ivy is great because if TV producers need to make a character smart, they just tell the audience that that character is "Ivy educated."

How many people do you know who have the 8 Ivies memorized though? You could probably tell a lot of people Notre Dame was Ivy and they'd believe you because Sam Gamgee played football there, and it was really hard to get accepted.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:40 pm

lisjjen wrote:IMHO, lay prestige is created by culture generators e.g. movies, TV, radio, magazines, etc.

People know of Georgetown, UMich, UT Austin, Duke and the like through ESPN, so they don't know that they're good schools, just that they have good teams. They know Nicholas Cage is smart in National Treasure because the detective says he has a Master's from Georgetown. They know HLS is amazing because Legally Blonde goes on forever about it. They know that Ivy is great because if TV producers need to make a character smart, they just tell the audience that that character is "Ivy educated."

How many people do you know who have the 8 Ivies memorized though? You could probably tell a lot of people Notre Dame was Ivy and they'd believe you because Sam Gamgee played football there, and it was really hard to get accepted.

Rudy FTW!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”