Northwestern vs. Michigan Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Diamond

Re: Northwestern vs. Michigan

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:37 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The part we all live in doesn't have tourists. Michigan ave is entirely tourists though.

The part we live in is all old ladies, businessman, and NU students. It's not a great neighborhood, but for 1L it's fine.
Sounds awful. My neighborhood is filled with double jointed female gymnasts who love engineers. Oh well, to each their own I guess. Enjoy playing bingo with the cast of the golden girls, dooder.
Something does not compute in this post
Little does BJS know, but I'm into mature ladies.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:37 pm

Go where you'll be happier and perform better.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Something does not compute in this post
Ladies love engineers, bro.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:41 pm

The law school is in Chicago proper, just a short jaunt away from the Chicago redline and awesome panhandlers being paid by Chicago PD to gtfo of the area.

EDIT: Goddamnit, DF[/quote]

You're correct that it's in Chicago, but it's in arguably the nicest area of Chicago. Plenty of students live in cheaper areas and commute, but if you want to be within walking distance you'll pay for it.[/quote]
Streeterville sucks. It's filled with tourists and, well, tourists.[/quote]

The part we all live in doesn't have tourists. Michigan ave is entirely tourists though.

The part we live in is all old ladies, businessman, and NU students. It's not a great neighborhood, but for 1L it's fine.[/quote]

Even though I'm goin to Michigan in May, I'm a Chicago native and currently live in River North (a few mins away from NU) and the area is awesome. NU is in a cozy little corner overlooking the Lake.....couldn't ask for a sexier view. Not many tourists go east of Michigan Ave so that won't be a concern.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:43 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:
Even though I'm goin to Michigan in May, I'm a Chicago native and currently live in River North (a few mins away from NU) and the area is awesome. NU is in a cozy little corner overlooking the Lake.....couldn't ask for a sexier view. Not many tourists go east of Michigan Ave so that won't be a concern.
The view from the library is to kill for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:
I thought the library was kind of crappy, especially compared with Chicago's.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:48 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:
I thought the library was kind of crappy, especially compared with Chicago's.
I really don't know how it stacks up to most schools libraries but I'll stand by my view is to kill for claim.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:49 pm

narayan1121 wrote:I don't really have a shot at either, but I must admit I'm slightly obsessed with Michigan. The education is at least as good, the architecture is amazing, the cost of living has to be significantly less than Chicago, and the sports teams are actually worth showing up to root for. If I am lucky enough to have to choose between the two, I know which one I'd choose.
What? I'm going to Michigan and I totally disagree. Did you not hear the big news?

--LinkRemoved--
http://search.espn.go.com/predictions/nfl/47
--LinkRemoved--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QO-gNkOBc

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Even though I'm goin to Michigan in May, I'm a Chicago native and currently live in River North (a few mins away from NU) and the area is awesome. NU is in a cozy little corner overlooking the Lake.....couldn't ask for a sexier view. Not many tourists go east of Michigan Ave so that won't be a concern.[/quote]

The view from the library is to kill for.[/quote]

I thought the library was kind of crappy, especially compared with Chicago's.[/quote]

I really don't know how it stacks up to most schools libraries but I'll stand by my view is to kill for claim.[/quote]

I'm not a big NU fan but library or no library, NU's view is as amazing as it gets.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:57 pm

I wasn't really choosing between NU and M but one of the things that initially made me interested and sold me on Michigan was how excited people get about the school. People like NU and respect NU but not many people get siced for it.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:03 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I wasn't really choosing between NU and M but one of the things that initially made me interested and sold me on Michigan was how excited people get about the school. People like NU and respect NU but not many people get siced for it.
It's a school, not a date with Kate Beckinsale. I really enjoy hanging with many of my classmates, I enjoy some of the classes, and I'm relieved that job prospects don't seem to be as bad as I thought they would. I dunno, I guess I'm excited about being here as I can be, considering I'm a dumbass 1L.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 pm

bjsesq wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I wasn't really choosing between NU and M but one of the things that initially made me interested and sold me on Michigan was how excited people get about the school. People like NU and respect NU but not many people get siced for it.
It's a school, not a date with Kate Beckinsale. I really enjoy hanging with many of my classmates, I enjoy some of the classes, and I'm relieved that job prospects don't seem to be as bad as I thought they would. I dunno, I guess I'm excited about being here as I can be, considering I'm a dumbass 1L.
i think this is a flawed argument too. i'd say the reason people get less jazzed (yes, i said jazzed) about northwestern is that a lot of people who go there are older, more jaded, and don't really crave the quintessential college town experience that some people who choose to go to michigan really look forward to....NU students have more WE and and many just want their law schools to provide them with better jobs than they have now. ftr, i'm basing this off of lots of research, not firsthand experience. amiright?

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:09 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
i think this is a flawed argument too. i'd say the reason people get less jazzed (yes, i said jazzed) about northwestern is that a lot of people who go there are older, more jaded, and don't really crave the quintessential college town experience that some people who choose to go to michigan really look forward to....NU students have more WE and and many just want their law schools to provide them with better jobs than they have now. ftr, i'm basing this off of lots of research, not firsthand experience. amiright?
That's a fair characterization for me. I don't know that I'm as jazzed about the possibility of attending NU as I am about going to school in CHICAGO. <3 I think if you've had the classic Big Ten undergrad experience at a school comparable to Michigan (Wisconsin, for example), the allure of Michigan isn't nearly as strong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:16 pm

I know two 1L's at NU who did their undergrad at Michigan, and still picked NU over Michigan (both at sticker).

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:19 pm

forward wrote: I think if you've had the classic Big Ten undergrad experience at a school comparable to Michigan (Wisconsin, for example), the allure of Michigan isn't nearly as strong.
This might me credited. My undergrad is lame but free tuition made it the best choice to transfer to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”