Queens (CUNY) Law School Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Re: Queens (CUNY) Law School Class of 2014

Post by Kurt Cobain » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:38 am

oddis1 wrote:I haven't seen anything about an open house. I'm very interested in going. Do you mind sharing the info? I've already paid seat deposit so I'm attending but it would still be good to meet a few people. Thanks!
Here's the email:

Dear incoming CUNY First-Year Student (1L), we are enthused by the response that we received to our evening in Manhattan Meet and Greet on Wednesday, June 29, 2011! Because of limited space, we will have to close off any further invitees to this day’s event. Due to the high demand, we are having a second Meet and Greet for incoming 1Ls on Wednesday, July 13, 2011. We hope that you will be able to attend. We again ask that you RSVP to admissions@mail.law.cuny.edu if you can or cannot attend.

We look forward to seeing you at our Meet and Greet on July 13 and on campus in August. Please let us know by Monday, July 1, so that we can have an accurate count. We will send details about the event once we receive your Yes RSVP. Unfortunately, as space is limited we are accepting responses on a first-come, first serve basis. See you soon!

Sincerely,
The Staff of the Admissions Office
CUNY Law School
65-21 Main Street
Flushing, NY 11367
Phone (718) 340-4210
Fax: (718)340-4435
admissions@mail.law.cuny.edu
Web: http://www.law.cuny.edu

oddis1

New

Post by oddis1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks. Looks like I missed the boat on this one though. Look forward to seeing you guys in the Fall!

Cwarrior57

New

Post by Cwarrior57 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:53 pm

how did cuny inform people of their decision? what was the exact status on the status checker.
Last edited by Cwarrior57 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATtom

New

Post by LSATtom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I received mine via the status checker. Just received my paperwork and acceptance letter today.

Now to find my immunization records lol...it's been about 20 years since I've seen my pediatrician ;)
Thanks. Looks like I missed the boat on this one though. Look forward to seeing you guys in the Fall!
I just emailed them and they have July 13th still open...let them know if you can attend the later date :)

oddis1

New

Post by oddis1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks yeah I saw that date but I'll be out of state on that date. Oh well August will be here soon enough!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

argentinaguy9885

New

Post by argentinaguy9885 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Is it sad that I keep checking the status checker every hour, even on the weekend? I just want to hear back already!

LSATtom

New

Post by LSATtom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 am

argentinaguy9885 wrote:Is it sad that I keep checking the status checker every hour, even on the weekend? I just want to hear back already!
I feel your pain! I made a rule never to check on the weekends or before 9:30 AM during the workweek ;)

But that was only after realizing my obsessive behavior...good luck this week...

tmamusa19

New

Post by tmamusa19 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:00 am

Isn't anyone getting worried that its towards the end of June and we have yet to hear anything back yet? I know I applied late but damn! i thought I would actually get a decision sooner since i did apply later bc I thought they would be done with a good amount of the applications. For all of those who are still waiting..what are your numbers if I may ask?

argentinaguy9885

New

Post by argentinaguy9885 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:09 pm

tmamusa19 wrote:Isn't anyone getting worried that its towards the end of June and we have yet to hear anything back yet? I know I applied late but damn! i thought I would actually get a decision sooner since i did apply later bc I thought they would be done with a good amount of the applications. For all of those who are still waiting..what are your numbers if I may ask?

I'm getting super antsy. 152/3.1 Lots of public interest work on my resume though, so hopefully that will push me over the top.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmamusa19

New

Post by tmamusa19 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:53 pm

argentinaguy9885 wrote:
tmamusa19 wrote:Isn't anyone getting worried that its towards the end of June and we have yet to hear anything back yet? I know I applied late but damn! i thought I would actually get a decision sooner since i did apply later bc I thought they would be done with a good amount of the applications. For all of those who are still waiting..what are your numbers if I may ask?

I'm getting super antsy. 152/3.1 Lots of public interest work on my resume though, so hopefully that will push me over the top.

Ugh I applied 4/1 and have 149/3.5..My lsat score is killing me :-( I do have some Public interest work experience but it seems like most people who got in have loads of experience....how is someone who just graduated from college supposed 2 compete with years of experience? :-/

argentinaguy9885

New

Post by argentinaguy9885 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:28 pm

tmamusa19 wrote:
argentinaguy9885 wrote:

Ugh I applied 4/1 and have 149/3.5..My lsat score is killing me :-( I do have some Public interest work experience but it seems like most people who got in have loads of experience....how is someone who just graduated from college supposed 2 compete with years of experience? :-/
When did your status go "into review" ?

tmamusa19

New

Post by tmamusa19 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:43 pm

tmamusa19 wrote:
argentinaguy9885 wrote:

5/6 How about you?

overunderachiever

Bronze

Post by overunderachiever » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:33 pm

tmamusa19 wrote:
argentinaguy9885 wrote:

I believe that the majority of admitted students come straight from college. If that is not the case, then I am pretty sure the number of traditional and non-traditional admitted students are about even. As someone else indicated here, I think CUNY weighs the PS more than other schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

argentinaguy9885

New

Post by argentinaguy9885 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:01 pm

tmamusa19 wrote:
tmamusa19 wrote:
argentinaguy9885 wrote:

5/6 How about you?
6/8

tmamusa19

New

Post by tmamusa19 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:56 pm

5/6 How about you?[/quote]

6/8[/quote]

But I saw that you applied 4/1? How did you go into review so late if we both applied at the same time? Bizarre

argentinaguy9885

New

Post by argentinaguy9885 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm

tmamusa19 wrote:5/6 How about you?
6/8[/quote]

But I saw that you applied 4/1? How did you go into review so late if we both applied at the same time? Bizarre[/quote]

Bizarre indeed. And I went into review the same day that I sent an email and gave them a phone call. The only thing that I think may have happened is that I sent an addendum a couple weeks after my application was complete, so that may have put me to the bottom of the pile. Either way we all should have heard back already. I'm going to give them a call if I don't hear by Friday.

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:18 am

Today I called to ask about the summer law institute and found out I didn't get in. I thought I wrote a pretty compelling essay but whatevs :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

overunderachiever

Bronze

Post by overunderachiever » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:05 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:Today I called to ask about the summer law institute and found out I didn't get in. I thought I wrote a pretty compelling essay but whatevs :(
Based on what I read it seems like it was geared towards those who they feel were not as prepared to do as well in law school, so maybe its a good sign! Will you be doing the Third World Orientation? Did they tell you when they will send you the official notification e-mail?

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:04 pm

overunderachiever wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:Today I called to ask about the summer law institute and found out I didn't get in. I thought I wrote a pretty compelling essay but whatevs :(
Based on what I read it seems like it was geared towards those who they feel were not as prepared to do as well in law school, so maybe its a good sign! Will you be doing the Third World Orientation? Did they tell you when they will send you the official notification e-mail?
Yeah, I mean it'll just give me a chance to work and make some more money. But maybe I will check out the third world orientation. I know you don't have to be 100% committed to going like you do with the summer institute so I'll probably at least check it out.

And nah, they didn't tell me anything about when I'd get an official notification, they just said that I'm not on the initial list of people getting invited. I think they're waiting to hear if everyone they're initially inviting is attending because they said if someone declines I could still be considered.

argentinaguy9885

New

Post by argentinaguy9885 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:46 pm

Talked to admissions today and they said decisions will be made all the way until the first week of July. UGH!

incandenza

New

Post by incandenza » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:02 pm

i'm not sure at what point in the discussion i'm coming in or if another current CUNY student has already said the following... however, CUNY is not and will not be located in long island city at least until fall of 2012. i am a rising 2L and when i applied i was told differently. numerous meetings with the dean and the student body, as well as complications involving the BOE and the NY chancellor have shifted the date. (personally, i am unsure if i will ever attend CUNY while it is in long island city at all as i am graduating in spring of 2013). anyhow, keep in mind that leases are for one year, that your free time will be limited and that you want to live as close to the school as possible. my first semester, i needed to wait until my existing lease ended in december. i loved my apartment, i loved my neighborhood and was extremely well-intentioned when i began traveling nearly 2 hours each way to school. but, keep this in mind. the issue with flushing is not flushing, but that the school is not near a subway stop. therefore, early morning, you will have trouble catching an empty bus due to the amount of other schools (high schools and the like) in the area and at night, the buses only run every 20-40 minutes through that area. you then get to a subway where you must wait again, given the time of night. the express line does not run at certain hours, which can add to your commute, as well. did i do it and pass? yes. but, i was exhausted, mentally wiped out and frequently coming home at ungodly hours. you want to give yourself the flexibility to stay in the library or study with friends. you want to be able to catch a beer in the off chance you have time. i would advise being realistic about your commute, adding AT LEAST 30 minutes to the best case scenario. you should not be commuting more than an hour. i recently moved very close to the school, saw my GPA jump up and have been happier, healthier and more social. it's not easy to get around in flushing without a car. we bring our lunches or get delivery. if we need to go to the bank, we have to make an event of it. if there is an errand to be run, it can take 2 hours rather than ten minutes. so, if you have access to an old car & can live in brooklyn/queens & drive, do it. finally, if you want to live in manhattan, remember that you will be there a full year and you want to have access to the internship opportunities and connections in/near queens where CUNY is located. i survived my first semester living in an ideal location, but i would never recommend it to anybody starting a lease. good luck to everyone. i'm a rising 2L & if you have any questions/concerns regarding CUNY, feel free to ask. best,

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

incandenza

New

Post by incandenza » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:06 pm

overunderachiever wrote:
tmamusa19 wrote:
argentinaguy9885 wrote:

I believe that the majority of admitted students come straight from college. If that is not the case, then I am pretty sure the number of traditional and non-traditional admitted students are about even. As someone else indicated here, I think CUNY weighs the PS more than other schools.
in my observation, at CUNY there is a VERY SMALL minority that come directly from college. i can only think of a handful, honestly. i did average on my lsat (in fact, my very first score was actually a 149), but had a ton of volunteer experience & a great gpa with honors from a highly accredited university & i got in. if you don't get in, don't lose heart. CUNY only accepts something like 24% of admissions & really values experience over numbers. work with what you have done. don't worry about other people. best of luck. also, look into the pipeline program. that's for people who don't get in the first time around, but CUNY works with them to increase their LSAT scores and accept them the following year.

incandenza

New

Post by incandenza » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:11 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
legaldiscretion wrote:I commute from Long Island via the LIRR. If you take the Port Washington line it is a direct shot to the school.

Next January they are moving the school to Long Island City. While there is no parking available at the new location, it will be much more accessible from any of the five buroughs.

From Penn Station you would be taking the subway and busses. I would say give or take 45 minutes to an hour.

I was not aware of the move, however, i may have to live on campus.
living on campus comes to just about the same amount as the average rent in the area. i would try finding a small studio rather than paying the same amount & living in a dorm room at queens college & then (if we ever do) after the move & right after finals having to find an apartment in two weeks time. CUNY has a lot of forums/message boards/ways of contacting other students who are looking for roommates/moving out. call student affairs & they should be able to lead you in the right direction. best of luck!

incandenza

New

Post by incandenza » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:13 pm

nphominoid wrote:
Next January they are moving the school to Long Island City. While there is no parking available at the new location, it will be much more accessible from any of the five buroughs.
is this confirmed?

i find many things about cuny appealing but the location in flushing is brutal -- a 1+ hour commute from my apt in brooklyn. i've seen the discussion about the move to LIC, along with a new part-time program, but haven't seen any hard evidence of a date; their admissions office told me nothing was confirmed at this time. i'd be very tempted by cuny part time in LIC as it would be about a 20 minute walk for me!
the move date is still tentative & as of yet has not been confirmed. current students have been told that it has been postponed to at least spring of 2012 if not fall.

the parking situation is a big controversy, so who knows with that one. i'm going to be facing the same problem.

incandenza

New

Post by incandenza » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Lawst wrote:
MP24 wrote:
ChrisP wrote:The distance between CUNY School of Law and Manhattan maybe an hour if you are walking there.
How would you do it quicker? If you are coming from Manhattan, you either have to take the subway to Jamaica station and then transfer to a public bus or take the LIRR to Jamaica and transfer to a bus. I suppose the LIRR route would be shorter but more expensive.
I just want to second that it takes a long time from Manhattan. I was late to my scheduled visit in January because it took me AN HOUR AND A HALF to get there from the Upper West Side of Manhattan because the 7 was incredibly slow that day, twice just sitting on the tracks for no particular reason. I know that happens on all train lines, but seriously, this was really bad. I was glad I was at least above ground so I could call the admissions office to tell them I'd be late.
I found the E train route through Forest Hills much quicker, a mere 45 mins/1 hour to 96th St. No matter which train you choose, you will have to take a bus.
Also, I've lived in New York for a while and was stunned by how remote the current location seemed. But it's not too far of a bus ride or perhaps a walk to get to some stores, and maybe there were some others around the corner - I don't know Queens well at all.
not to be super bleak about it, but nothing is within walking distance. unless your idea of a "walk" is 15-20 minutes. in the one year i've been at cuny, the only place we ever walked was to the bar. there's just so little time to waste to spend 1+ hour just to go get a sandwich in the area. the local places to study are non-existent. usually, i go to the barnes & noble near st. john's (which is an extremely close drive if anyone has a car & a good place to get away). on the upside, the 7 has been obscene lately due to some renovations they've been making to the line. when i was still commuting by subway, i thought the E was the best & fastest of the subways. a lot of people keep a bike at school for daily errands. other people leave the second class ends. i guess you figure out what kind of student you are & take your daily routine from there. flushing & the suburbs are pretty, but it's pretty much the boondocks compared to manhattan. you're right on the quick bus ride, but -- a bus ride involves waiting & at that point, i'd usually think f- this, i'll either stay here or go home.

in my observation/experience, once you get to CUNY you don't leave the school until it's time to leave for the day. it's not awful or horrible, but it's the truth of the situation.

one good perk is that for the time being we have access to the queens college gym/track/etc, which actually IS within walking distance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”