In at Berkeley! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
re-applicant

Bronze

Re: In at Berkeley!

Post by re-applicant » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Yea, I don't want to make it sound worse than it is. Just something to think about for those driving in and unfamiliar with the area.
Is there parking around Jupiter? I don't mind trying to find spaces on street if there is street parking.
There is. Usually near impossible to get around dinner time, but I think 10-11 will be easier.

edit: there's a garage near Jupiter, and I think it costs $3 at night.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Just dropping in to say I will be at Berkeley this weekend. I'm pretty excited because this is my first time in California.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:26 pm

re-applicant wrote:
There is. Usually near impossible to get around dinner time, but I think 10-11 will be easier.

edit: there's a garage near Jupiter, and I think it costs $3 at night.
Cool I will garage it then. Thanks!

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Might shower a bit Thurs/Fri so bring jackets. Actually bring jackets anyway, gets pretty cold up there.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:43 pm

aesis wrote:Might shower a bit Thurs/Fri so bring jackets. Actually bring jackets anyway, gets pretty cold up there.
It's about the same as we've been for the lasts week, but warmer at night. I am still in hoodie+coat mode lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Are we allowed to bring guest to the diversity thing at the hotel?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Hey guys, where do we get the case for the mock class? Don't see it on the website or anything.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:58 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Hey guys, where do we get the case for the mock class? Don't see it on the website or anything.
It came in the email sent from the admissions office titled "Berkeley's Law Admit Weekend Details"

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:08 am

WonkyPanda wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Hey guys, where do we get the case for the mock class? Don't see it on the website or anything.
It came in the email sent from the admissions office titled "Berkeley's Law Admit Weekend Details"
Either I erroneously erased it or I never got it. Can someone forward me the email?

PM me if you would be so kind. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:23 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:
Either I erroneously erased it or I never got it. Can someone forward me the email?

PM me your email and I can send you the pdf

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:05 am

WonkyPanda wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:

PM me your email and I can send you the pdf
Thanks so much!!! :mrgreen: Much better than the 16 page UVA case!

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:08 am

No problem!

fromafar

New

Post by fromafar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:41 am

I love Cal and LOVE California. But, not to be a downer on this board, but is anyone else having a hard time choosing between Cal and either of the NY schools? Everything is telling me to go to Cal, except that it has fallen in the rankings in the past 3 years. I know it's not that big of a deal if it falls a spot or 1 year or something, but it's a trend and if it falls again it will be out of the top 10, which is kind of a big deal when we will be looking for employment. Also, not sure who follows the California budget negotiations, but the UC system has to make another $500m in cuts and potentially $500m more if things don't go well (which they won't). Anyone else feel a bit like Cal will not be improving in the rankings in the future? Sorry to be a downer, but I'm honestly having a tough time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:26 am

They just decided not to match my competing offer (why call it a "matching" program?). As much as I love Berkeley, I think this takes it off the list. GL to the rest of you.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:02 pm

fromafar wrote:I love Cal and LOVE California. But, not to be a downer on this board, but is anyone else having a hard time choosing between Cal and either of the NY schools? Everything is telling me to go to Cal, except that it has fallen in the rankings in the past 3 years. I know it's not that big of a deal if it falls a spot or 1 year or something, but it's a trend and if it falls again it will be out of the top 10, which is kind of a big deal when we will be looking for employment. Also, not sure who follows the California budget negotiations, but the UC system has to make another $500m in cuts and potentially $500m more if things don't go well (which they won't). Anyone else feel a bit like Cal will not be improving in the rankings in the future? Sorry to be a downer, but I'm honestly having a tough time.
I made a similar decision last cycle. I've talked about it a long on these boards but PM me if you want.

I think it's worth noting that the operating budget is actually higher for Boalt now. Dean Edley has done some pretty cool stuff recently, and we're hiring even more teachers, and the ratio is going down even more. I don't think the budget cuts will hurt anything but tuition (which obviously stings quite a bit, but better my wallet than my future).

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Hmmm...to be honest... if I have a name tag you will be able to tell who I am by looking at my name. lol. I didn't think about it when I set up my account. :roll:

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:25 pm

fromafar wrote:I love Cal and LOVE California. But, not to be a downer on this board, but is anyone else having a hard time choosing between Cal and either of the NY schools? Everything is telling me to go to Cal, except that it has fallen in the rankings in the past 3 years. I know it's not that big of a deal if it falls a spot or 1 year or something, but it's a trend and if it falls again it will be out of the top 10, which is kind of a big deal when we will be looking for employment. Also, not sure who follows the California budget negotiations, but the UC system has to make another $500m in cuts and potentially $500m more if things don't go well (which they won't). Anyone else feel a bit like Cal will not be improving in the rankings in the future? Sorry to be a downer, but I'm honestly having a tough time.
Don't you mean the past 2 years? It climbed to 6 and then went to 7 and this year 9*.

EDIT: Let me just chime in here for what it's worth. CA may be the toughest hit state in the nation, but it's also the strongest economically when things are going well. Figure it this way, when you're in the east, you're compete with some of the top-brass (ivy's etc) plus dozens of REALLY strong regional schools. In the west, no one is better than Berkeley except one school. That's how i'd look at it anyway

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:34 pm

Ok....so how about some happy talk?!

What dinner events if any, are people planning on attending on Friday night. There are so many!

cmaas

Bronze

Post by cmaas » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Ok....so how about some happy talk?!

What dinner events if any, are people planning on attending on Friday night. There are so many!
Thursday: Diverse Admits
Friday: La Raza

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:56 pm

tipler4213 wrote:They just decided not to match my competing offer (why call it a "matching" program?). As much as I love Berkeley, I think this takes it off the list. GL to the rest of you.
Oh no Tip! This is very sad news for me. You're not coming to visit this weekend?

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:They just decided not to match my competing offer (why call it a "matching" program?). As much as I love Berkeley, I think this takes it off the list. GL to the rest of you.
Oh no Tip! This is very sad news for me. You're not coming to visit this weekend?
Nope. Can't miss work for what could only be classified as a vacation. To console yourself, just remember that we can always tear it up in NYC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:50 pm

YAY! Can't wait til tonight! :D

Have we heard of any scholarships yet?? Other than matching?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:26 am

askyemcdonald wrote:YAY! Can't wait til tonight! :D
Didn't see you!
Have we heard of any scholarships yet?? Other than matching?
Yes (not me).

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 am

Excited to meet all of you who didn't attend last night's events. I am already really tired of talking, not because the people are boring or anything. Just fatigued. I don't know how people do 4+ ASWs.

So far everyone has been reallllly kind and enthusiastic about Boalt. Boalties certainly live up to their reputation for being friendly. I feel like everyone I meet is PI-oriented, and if not, then IP/finance.

I'll be at the house party tonight -- should be poppin' I hear.

djfe4president

New

Post by djfe4president » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 am

aesis..you're a 1L at Berkeley?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”