Arizona State 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gaud

Platinum

Re: Arizona State 2011

Post by gaud » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Still nothing.....

MST3K

New

Post by MST3K » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:03 am

gaud wrote:Still nothing.....
+1 ... still waiting :\

org_chemist

New

Post by org_chemist » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:56 pm

MST3K wrote:
Kathy from admissions said hopefully by the end of April for a decision. :|

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:37 pm

org_chemist wrote:
MST3K wrote:
Kathy from admissions said hopefully by the end of April for a decision. :|

Hopefully!? oh this is getting rough

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Yeah, when I called the other day they were like "We're planning on getting all decisions made by the end of April." I just want to know either way already so people will stop asking me if I got in or not, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clydekilgore

New

Post by clydekilgore » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:12 pm

Just FYI,

My son will be an 1L this coming August. While looking for a townhouse for him to purchase, I decided to purchase 2 to rent to Law School Students. If interested, let me know.
They are both located at 2027 E University Dr. This is 2.1 miles from the law school.
Each is 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car garage, in a small gated complex. Each also has a loft and would be ideal for 2 roommates. Rent will be $1000/mo unfurnished and/or $1200 furnished. I can provide pictures for those interested. One is 1230 sq feet, the other is 1300 sq feet. These are some of the "roomiest" townhouses we looked at.

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:47 am

clydekilgore wrote:Just FYI,

My son will be an 1L this coming August. While looking for a townhouse for him to purchase, I decided to purchase 2 to rent to Law School Students. If interested, let me know.
They are both located at 2027 E University Dr. This is 2.1 miles from the law school.
Each is 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car garage, in a small gated complex. Each also has a loft and would be ideal for 2 roommates. Rent will be $1000/mo unfurnished and/or $1200 furnished. I can provide pictures for those interested. One is 1230 sq feet, the other is 1300 sq feet. These are some of the "roomiest" townhouses we looked at.
and let us know your son's name so we can secretly hate him because we're jealous:)

clydekilgore

New

Post by clydekilgore » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:48 am

Yeah, he gets to know what it's like being under a pile of debt ... before LS even starts! ;-)

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:53 pm

clydekilgore wrote:Yeah, he gets to know what it's like being under a pile of debt ... before LS even starts! ;-)
sorry I thought you meant you were buying it for him. it's a good time to buy congrats

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:00 pm

mala2 wrote:
clydekilgore wrote:Yeah, he gets to know what it's like being under a pile of debt ... before LS even starts! ;-)
sorry I thought you meant you were buying it for him. it's a good time to buy congrats
You can buy a comparable condo for $100k including all closing costs and prepaid HOA for 6 months, get a 5 year ARM at 2.875% and with HOA have a nut of around $500/month. Rent out one room and live for free. If you are willing to rehab and/or pay cash at auction you can buy a condo for half that price.

Rent multiples are strong near ASU as there is a shortage of rental units. After LS rent it out and use the income to pay down student loans for the next 5 years.

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Withdrew today. Hope one of you guys waiting gets my seat! Good luck to everyone.

JonSanchez2009

New

Post by JonSanchez2009 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 pm

kublaikahn wrote:
mala2 wrote:
You can buy a comparable condo for $100k including all closing costs and prepaid HOA for 6 months, get a 5 year ARM at 2.875% and with HOA have a nut of around $500/month. Rent out one room and live for free. If you are willing to rehab and/or pay cash at auction you can buy a condo for half that price.

Rent multiples are strong near ASU as there is a shortage of rental units. After LS rent it out and use the income to pay down student loans for the next 5 years.
What does ARM stand for? HOA? Nut? How do I convince a bank to give someone like me, with bad credit, and living on student loans, to give me a 100k worth of loan to buy a condo with?

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:41 pm

JonSanchez2009 wrote:
kublaikahn wrote:
mala2 wrote:

What does ARM stand for? HOA? Nut? How do I convince a bank to give someone like me, with bad credit, and living on student loans, to give me a 100k worth of loan to buy a condo with?
Adjustable Rate Mortgage [ARM]
HOA and Nut??? not sure
100k + bad credit + recent financial meltdown = $20k down w/ good employment history possibly cosigner.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JonSanchez2009

New

Post by JonSanchez2009 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:07 pm

HOA and Nut??? not sure
100k + bad credit + recent financial meltdown = $20k down w/ good employment history possibly cosigner.[/quote]

Ah. My parents have worse credit and even less money than I. :-p I have good employment history, though. I'll be renting, probably subletting. CL, random apartment/roommate finder sites, etc. Lucky condo owners!

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:18 pm

JonSanchez2009 wrote:
kublaikahn wrote:
mala2 wrote: You can buy a comparable condo for $100k including all closing costs and prepaid HOA for 6 months, get a 5 year ARM at 2.875% and with HOA have a nut of around $500/month. Rent out one room and live for free. If you are willing to rehab and/or pay cash at auction you can buy a condo for half that price.

HOA and Nut??? not sure
100k + bad credit + recent financial meltdown = $20k down w/ good employment history possibly cosigner.
You need income and decent credit or a co-maker.

HOA is homeowners association dues. Any planned unit developement will have monthly fees of $100 and up (usually $100-200) for a place of that price. The nut is the total PITI plus HOA.

On credit: Call a lender/broker, your credit may not be as bad as you think. FHA lending requires no derogs for 12 months and no missed housing payments for, I think, 2 years. They dont technically look at a FICO number, I'm told. An FHA loan can be up to about 97% loan to value and will allow some seller contributions. In addition, Homesteps homes (Freddie Mac owned properties) offer further discounts and favor first time homebuyers.

On Income: to buy a home you need income of about three times your total debt service payments (including the house). So if your nut on a condo is $500/month plus you have $300 in other debts per month, you need income of about 800x3= $2400/month (these are very rough estimates). That comes to about $15/hour on a 40 hour work week. Do that for the next four month and with decent credit you can pull it off. If you dont have other debts (e.g. put your car payment if you have one on your parents), you see that the math gets very easy.

That said, the easiest way to do it is to have a parent or other person help.

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:24 pm

kublaikahn wrote:
JonSanchez2009 wrote:
kublaikahn wrote:
mala2 wrote: You can buy a comparable condo for $100k including all closing costs and prepaid HOA for 6 months, get a 5 year ARM at 2.875% and with HOA have a nut of around $500/month. Rent out one room and live for free. If you are willing to rehab and/or pay cash at auction you can buy a condo for half that price.

HOA and Nut??? not sure
You need income and decent credit or a co-maker.

HOA is homeowners association dues. Any planned unit developement will have monthly fees of $100 and up (usually $100-200) for a place of that price. The nut is the total PITI plus HOA.

On credit: Call a lender/broker, your credit may not be as bad as you think. FHA lending requires no derogs for 12 months and no missed housing payments for, I think, 2 years. They dont technically look at a FICO number, I'm told. An FHA loan can be up to about 97% loan to value and will allow some seller contributions. In addition, Homesteps homes (Freddie Mac owned properties) offer further discounts and favor first time homebuyers.

On Income: to buy a home you need income of about three times your total debt service payments (including the house). So if your nut on a condo is $500/month plus you have $300 in other debts per month, you need income of about 800x3= $2400/month (these are very rough estimates). That comes to about $15/hour on a 40 hour work week. Do that for the next four month and with decent credit you can pull it off. If you dont have other debts (e.g. put your car payment if you have one on your parents), you see that the math gets very easy.

That said, the easiest way to do it is to have a parent or other person help.
+100

sab0tage

New

Post by sab0tage » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:38 am

In last thursday via email with a 166/3.22, binder yesterday with first year scholly only. From my brief search of this thread, scholarships negotiations with ASU have proven unsuccessful. I have a much better offer from U of A, but I live in the valley now and wouldn't mind staying. There seems to be much better clinical opportunities at ASU. These aren't worth a +40k more COA, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:43 am

sab0tage wrote:In last thursday via email with a 166/3.22, binder yesterday with first year scholly only. From my brief search of this thread, scholarships negotiations with ASU have proven unsuccessful. I have a much better offer from U of A, but I live in the valley now and wouldn't mind staying. There seems to be much better clinical opportunities at ASU. These aren't worth a +40k more COA, right?
negative ghostrider

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:45 pm

sab0tage wrote:In last thursday via email with a 166/3.22, binder yesterday with first year scholly only. From my brief search of this thread, scholarships negotiations with ASU have proven unsuccessful. I have a much better offer from U of A, but I live in the valley now and wouldn't mind staying. There seems to be much better clinical opportunities at ASU. These aren't worth a +40k more COA, right?
How much better is U of A's offer?

Aldenita

New

Post by Aldenita » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:48 pm

I was successful with getting a little more money (not much). The Dean explained to me that tuition at ASU is already cheaper than U of A and that U of A just has more money to give out. U of A offered me twice as much money.

MST3K

New

Post by MST3K » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Rejected from ASU on 4/20. Definitely surprised.. good luck to the rest still waiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:50 pm

MST3K wrote:Rejected from ASU on 4/20. Definitely surprised.. good luck to the rest still waiting.

With your stats that is ridiculous!

sab0tage

New

Post by sab0tage » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:14 pm

gaud wrote:
MST3K wrote:Rejected from ASU on 4/20. Definitely surprised.. good luck to the rest still waiting.

+1 I'm surprised.

Are you a multiple felon?

MST3K

New

Post by MST3K » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:50 am

sab0tage wrote:
gaud wrote:

+1 I'm surprised.

Are you a multiple felon?
Nope, not even a speeding ticket on my record.. not sure what happened with ASU. After 21 years, it's time to leave Arizona!

supercal27

New

Post by supercal27 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Okay ASU, where is my decision letter?! Still nothing! Applied in January!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”