Drake 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
evilxs

Bronze

Re: Drake 2011

Post by evilxs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Show them love; let them know you are really interested. Write a loci. :mrgreen:

mauer7

New

Post by mauer7 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Hello all,

Little late joining the discussion here, I read through everything quick and agree with what most people have to say about Drake versus Iowa.

I've been accepted to both but am leaning heavily toward Drake due to a generous scholarship offer. Having a tough time getting over not going to Iowa despite being accepted, I feel like my entire focus over the last year has been set on getting accepted to Iowa law. I attended Iowa for undergrad and love Iowa City and the school, and the football...I recently moved back to Iowa from out of state and went so far as to move to Iowa City because I planned on being here this fall.

All that being said, money speaks, and Iowa offered me nothing...they didn't give me anything during undergrad either, despite graduating top 10% from their competitive business school, so maybe it is time to let my emotional attachment quit influencing me.

On Des Moines: I grew up in the Des Moines "suburbs", and I think it is a great place to be and am looking forward to likely studying there this fall. You definitely get the feeling that Des Moines is where the important activities in the state are taking place compared to the rest of the state. Ames and Iowa City have some great academic things taking place, but Des Moines is where the action is and where the money is.

In acceptance packet was included information on option to take summer courses to potentially push graduation up a semester. Does anyone have practical information on this? How many 1Ls choose to pursue this option? Are you at a disadvantage in the fall if you don't choose to follow this route? Etc...

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:48 pm

My undergrad did not offer me anything either when I was accepted to their law school. I was a little disappointed to say the least. I had many letters of recommendation from their professors from my undergrad and masters there.

So yeah I didn't go there for law :roll:

There were 16 of us out of approximately 150 who chose to attend the summer constitutional law program. I would say there is a disadvantage, not huge by it is definitely there. We were already exposed to real law exams and classes and had 6 credit hours under our belts while everyone else on a full load of classes was trying to figure out how to study for law exams and prepare for law classes. There is also the fact that 6 weeks worth of classes is an easy way to start your GPA off very well. Treat it very seriously and rock it hard and you'll have an edge going in for sures.

I did the program so please feel free to ask additional questions.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm

mauer7 wrote:Hello all,

Little late joining the discussion here, I read through everything quick and agree with what most people have to say about Drake versus Iowa.

I've been accepted to both but am leaning heavily toward Drake due to a generous scholarship offer. Having a tough time getting over not going to Iowa despite being accepted, I feel like my entire focus over the last year has been set on getting accepted to Iowa law. I attended Iowa for undergrad and love Iowa City and the school, and the football...I recently moved back to Iowa from out of state and went so far as to move to Iowa City because I planned on being here this fall.

All that being said, money speaks, and Iowa offered me nothing...they didn't give me anything during undergrad either, despite graduating top 10% from their competitive business school, so maybe it is time to let my emotional attachment quit influencing me.

On Des Moines: I grew up in the Des Moines "suburbs", and I think it is a great place to be and am looking forward to likely studying there this fall. You definitely get the feeling that Des Moines is where the important activities in the state are taking place compared to the rest of the state. Ames and Iowa City have some great academic things taking place, but Des Moines is where the action is and where the money is.

In acceptance packet was included information on option to take summer courses to potentially push graduation up a semester. Does anyone have practical information on this? How many 1Ls choose to pursue this option? Are you at a disadvantage in the fall if you don't choose to follow this route? Etc...

Easy decision. Do you want to practice in Des Moines? Drake is probably a fine choice. Do you want to practice outside of Iowa? Then go to U of I.

mauer7

New

Post by mauer7 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:37 pm

evilxs wrote:My undergrad did not offer me anything either when I was accepted to their law school. I was a little disappointed to say the least. I had many letters of recommendation from their professors from my undergrad and masters there.

So yeah I didn't go there for law :roll:

There were 16 of us out of approximately 150 who chose to attend the summer constitutional law program. I would say there is a disadvantage, not huge by it is definitely there. We were already exposed to real law exams and classes and had 6 credit hours under our belts while everyone else on a full load of classes was trying to figure out how to study for law exams and prepare for law classes. There is also the fact that 6 weeks worth of classes is an easy way to start your GPA off very well. Treat it very seriously and rock it hard and you'll have an edge going in for sures.

I did the program so please feel free to ask additional questions.
Thank you for your help, good information. Will ask if anything else comes to mind, thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mauer7

New

Post by mauer7 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:
mauer7 wrote:Hello all,

Easy decision. Do you want to practice in Des Moines? Drake is probably a fine choice. Do you want to practice outside of Iowa? Then go to U of I.
Do plan to practice in Des Moines, and I agree it is an easy choice really, my dad called it a "no-brainer" the other day. I've pretty much decided in Drake's favor at this point, I'm just adjusting to giving up on Iowa since that has been my goal since the day I picked up my first LSAT prep book.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:52 pm

mauer7 wrote:

Do plan to practice in Des Moines, and I agree it is an easy choice really, my dad called it a "no-brainer" the other day. I've pretty much decided in Drake's favor at this point, I'm just adjusting to giving up on Iowa since that has been my goal since the day I picked up my first LSAT prep book.[/quote]

Did Iowa not give you any money? Be careful about taking on much debt from Drake... It's unlikely you'll be making more than $50k or so coming out of Drake.

mauer7

New

Post by mauer7 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
mauer7 wrote:

Do plan to practice in Des Moines, and I agree it is an easy choice really, my dad called it a "no-brainer" the other day. I've pretty much decided in Drake's favor at this point, I'm just adjusting to giving up on Iowa since that has been my goal since the day I picked up my first LSAT prep book.
Did Iowa not give you any money? Be careful about taking on much debt from Drake... It's unlikely you'll be making more than $50k or so coming out of Drake.[/quote]

Correct, no money from Iowa.

With the size of the scholarship offer from Drake I would not be taking on too much debt.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:30 pm

mauer7 wrote:
Correct, no money from Iowa.

With the size of the scholarship offer from Drake I would not be taking on too much debt.
Sounds like a decent option then. Just make sure you know that you'll need to work in Des Moines or the surrounding areas for a few years before you can get out!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 pm

I didn't know there was a Drake University. Is it the "best you ever had?"

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:27 pm

lisjjen wrote:I didn't know there was a Drake University. Is it the "best you ever had?"
Lol

THB

New

Post by THB » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 pm

What are people's thoughts on the scholarship stipulation - that you need to be in the top third of your class to renew it?

I think it'll be extremely difficult.. that's why I'm leaning slightly more to SLU at the moment...really want to stay in Iowa though :/

hard decision

TheGetUpKid

New

Post by TheGetUpKid » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:22 pm

THB wrote:What are people's thoughts on the scholarship stipulation - that you need to be in the top third of your class to renew it?

I think it'll be extremely difficult.. that's why I'm leaning slightly more to SLU at the moment...really want to stay in Iowa though :/

hard decision
I'm using it as motivation to stay in the top third. However, all of my scholarship offers have some sort of stipulation. If you wanna work in Iowa right after law school, Drake is probably the better choice. But SLU isn't that far away. Is there no stipulation on the SLU scholarship?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

THB

New

Post by THB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:18 am

The only stipulation on SLU is maintaining a 2.0 GPA...ease...

I do kind of like how you can regain the drake scholarship if you lose it... I think I'll have to visit and call the school to find out more info on it since I don't think there are many current Drake students who visit this site...

I like your mindset of motivation, I'll have to do the same if I decide to attend Drake 8)

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:12 pm

THB wrote:The only stipulation on SLU is maintaining a 2.0 GPA...ease...

I do kind of like how you can regain the drake scholarship if you lose it... I think I'll have to visit and call the school to find out more info on it since I don't think there are many current Drake students who visit this site...

I like your mindset of motivation, I'll have to do the same if I decide to attend Drake 8)

Not to be a dick... But if you can't maintain top 1/3 at Drake, PLEASE reconsider law school. You'll be very upset and swimming in debt after school (even with a good scholarship.)

That being said, if you have guaranteed employment (parent's firm, etc.) then just go to SLU without the stips and have a good time!

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:24 pm

THB wrote:What are people's thoughts on the scholarship stipulation - that you need to be in the top third of your class to renew it?

hard decision

Do you want to end up in Iowa or Utah? That should make your decision. Keeping class rank is up to you and hard work.

If you want to end up in Iowa, especially the Des Moines area I would stay here. You would be missing out on every opportunity to meet these firms and work for them before being out 3L year looking for real work if you went to Utah.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 pm

evilxs wrote: Do you want to end up in Iowa or Utah? That should make your decision. Keeping class rank is up to you and hard work.

If you want to end up in Iowa, especially the Des Moines area I would stay here. You would be missing out on every opportunity to meet these firms and work for them before being out 3L year looking for real work if you went to Utah.
SLU = St. Louis University, in St. Louis, MO
BYU = Brigham Young University, in Utah (I don't remember the town... I think it's Provo or something)

Either way though, good point. If you want to be in DSM, Drake > SLU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

THB

New

Post by THB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys

I def want to practice in Iowa after law school, so I agree that should play a major decision in deciding where I want to prepare/study for the Bar Exam

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Not even the bar exam part. Des Moines is a very, very small town lawyer wise. If you want to practice here eventually then getting to work here during your 2L year and over your summers is pretty huge...

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:33 pm

USNWR now ranks law schools in the 3rd tier and puts Drake at 110th. Thoughts?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+5

jmill

New

Post by jmill » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:USNWR now ranks law schools in the 3rd tier and puts Drake at 110th. Thoughts?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+5

University of Tulsa is tied in rank with Drake? Doesn't sound right to me. And ahead of Texas Tech and Howard University? I know those aren't the best schools but they are a hell of a lot better than University of Tulsa.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheGetUpKid

New

Post by TheGetUpKid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:19 am

I figured this was about where they ranked in the past few years, definitely near the top of the tier 3's. The Tulsa thing is weird, but I think Drake's spot is probably pretty correct.

jmill

New

Post by jmill » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:34 am

TheGetUpKid wrote:I figured this was about where they ranked in the past few years, definitely near the top of the tier 3's. The Tulsa thing is weird, but I think Drake's spot is probably pretty correct.

I agree Drake's spot is correct. I just didn't understand how Tulsa was ranked that high

TheGetUpKid

New

Post by TheGetUpKid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Anyone else going to the Admitted Students events this weekend or the Supreme Court banquet?

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:33 pm

TheGetUpKid wrote:Anyone else going to the Admitted Students events this weekend or the Supreme Court banquet?
I'm planning to attend. I am especially interested in comparing actual Drake law students and faculty in action to some of the schools I've visited recently.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”