Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
twocuphabit

New

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Post by twocuphabit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:52 pm

massattack wrote:I've had an interesting debate about this...I don't know if it has been discussed on this thread:

Would you take GSU full ride over Emory 1/2 scholarship?
Absolutely! But then, I wouldn't consider Emory. I went there as an undergrad and don't like the environment at all. I also don't want to practice in Big Law.

GSU (according to their admissions office) is consistently rising in the rankings, if that's a concern. They are building a new law school, as well, and I can only think that will improve things. :)

massattack

New

Post by massattack » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:05 pm

twocuphabit wrote:
massattack wrote:I've had an interesting debate about this...I don't know if it has been discussed on this thread:

Absolutely! But then, I wouldn't consider Emory. I went there as an undergrad and don't like the environment at all. I also don't want to practice in Big Law.

GSU (according to their admissions office) is consistently rising in the rankings, if that's a concern. They are building a new law school, as well, and I can only think that will improve things. :)
Well, I'm not really interested in Biglaw anyways...but the possibility of it from Emory is nice. I know GSU is a great school, however, I'm worried about the competition even in MidLaw/SmallLaw between GSU, UGA, and Emory, while concerned mostly with the competition between the two former and the latter.

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Post by uwgbluedevil » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:34 pm

I think if your goal was to leave Georgia it would obviously be better to go to Emory. However, if you want Georgia and particularly Atlanta, i think GSU is a fine choice. But its probably pretty close. I'm not sure what Emory's tuition would be at half price though. I know that Emory recently had some issues I think with it's employment and it fell in the rankings (not that the rankings matter all that much outside of the top 5-15 schools).

massattack

New

Post by massattack » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:48 pm

uwgbluedevil wrote:I think if your goal was to leave Georgia it would obviously be better to go to Emory. However, if you want Georgia and particularly Atlanta, i think GSU is a fine choice. But its probably pretty close. I'm not sure what Emory's tuition would be at half price though. I know that Emory recently had some issues I think with it's employment and it fell in the rankings (not that the rankings matter all that much outside of the top 5-15 schools).
Total, with room and board....$60,000 (this encapsulates all three years of law school)
That's how much debt I'll be in total from Emory.

antneymatt

New

Post by antneymatt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Well, as everything, I think it really depends on your goals. If you really want a shot at a major law firm or you really want to work outside of the region then you would definitely choose Emory. Someone who is set on living in the Atlanta area or is not so rigid about working at a major law firm would definitely choose GSU because the financial situation is so much better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clemson09

New

Post by clemson09 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:44 pm

I grew up in Atlanta so I figured I would give my 2 ¢ ... Pretty much has been said already but

Emory- Obviously higher ranked school, great if you want to practice up north; not the best for the south

GSU- Great if you want to work in Atlanta. Good relationships with local big law and better if you want to work in the public sector.

I might argue that GSU has just as good, if not better, jobs prospects in the Atlanta area when compared to Emory. However, if you go outside a 100 mile radius of Atlanta, Emory wins hands down...

antneymatt

New

Post by antneymatt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:49 pm

clemson09 wrote:I grew up in Atlanta so I figured I would give my 2 ¢ ... Pretty much has been said already but

Emory- Obviously higher ranked school, great if you want to practice up north; not the best for the south

GSU- Great if you want to work in Atlanta. Good relationships with local big law and better if you want to work in the public sector.

I might argue that GSU has just as good, if not better, jobs prospects in the Atlanta area when compared to Emory. However, if you go outside a 100 mile radius of Atlanta, Emory wins hands down...
I'm also an Atlanta native.

I think this is basically true. I've heard that most of the Emory folks leave Atlanta because they want to, not because they have trouble competing or anything. I think an Emory grad who wanted to stay in Atlanta would do very well compared to a GSU grad.

Impatient

New

Post by Impatient » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:22 pm

GSU's campuses has tons of homeless. Going to class is like walking through a scene of The Walking Dead. Pretty sure Emory doesnt have that issue, although their campus is shit too.

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:47 pm

twocuphabit wrote:
massattack wrote:
GSU (according to their admissions office) is consistently rising in the rankings, if that's a concern.
Minus this year....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:14 pm

clemson09 wrote:I grew up in Atlanta so I figured I would give my 2 ¢ ... Pretty much has been said already but

What?

Emory is a terrible fit for the North... unless you're already from the Northeast and have tangible connections back home. Emory doesn't magically compete with Fordham or George Washington in NYC and DC respectively.

Emory is not the best for the South? Sure, when you compare it to UVA, Duke or Vandy, Emory is at a disadvantage. However, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a law firm in the South that doesn't think Emory is an excellent school. I'm also having trouble grasping how Emory's reputation can carry it up North, but not throughout the Southeast.

You are spot on about GSU being a good fit if you want to work in Atlanta or in the metro area. If you have pre-existing connections to the smaller markets in Georgia (Augusta, Columbus, Macon, Savannah), then a GSU degree can serve you well there.

GSU has good connections with local big law and with the folks making hiring decisions in the public sector, but those connections aren't better than the connections that UGA and Emory have with those same entities.

A previous poster made a good point about some Emory students self-selecting away. While that accounts for some of the students, the fact remains that if, an Emory student wanted, he or she could beat out a GSU student of equal rank for any job in Atlanta.

clemson09

New

Post by clemson09 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:26 pm

athenian wrote: I'm also having trouble grasping how Emory's reputation can carry it up North, but not throughout the Southeast.
I was stating an opinion. Of the Emory law grads/ students I have met the majority have graduated and moved out of Georgia (approx 3 or 4 out of 5). Not a huge sample but IMO significant.
athenian wrote: the fact remains that if, an Emory student wanted, he or she could beat out a GSU student of equal rank for any job in Atlanta.
I would tend to agree with this if employers were judging based solely on what is on paper. 2 points... 1) I cant speak with a high degree of accuracy but it seems the consensus is that Emory and GSU have an equal number of connections with firms in Atlanta. 2) I am not a law student yet nor do I want to start a pissing fight, but let me pose a question. If you were picking a school based on where you could graduate with the highest rank, would you pick Emory or GSU? My answer would be GSU. Hence it might be easier to be of "equal rank" or higher ranked at GSU than Emory.

These two facts considered, the question then becomes who has a better chance, higher ranked at GSU with no debt or lower ranked at Emory with debt? (Sorry had to throw $$$ in the mix :) )

tchan4269

New

Post by tchan4269 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:56 pm

athenian wrote: the fact remains that if, an Emory student wanted, he or she could beat out a GSU student of equal rank for any job in Atlanta.
+1

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:01 pm

clemson09 wrote:
athenian wrote: I'm also having trouble grasping how Emory's reputation can carry it up North, but not throughout the Southeast.
I was stating an opinion. Of the Emory law grads/ students I have met the majority have graduated and moved out of Georgia (approx 3 or 4 out of 5). Not a huge sample but IMO significant.
I would tend to agree with this if employers were judging based solely on what is on paper. 2 points... 1) I cant speak with a high degree of accuracy but it seems the consensus is that Emory and GSU have an equal number of connections with firms in Atlanta. 2) I am not a law student yet nor do I want to start a pissing fight, but let me pose a question. If you were picking a school based on where you could graduate with the highest rank, would you pick Emory or GSU? My answer would be GSU. Hence it might be easier to be of "equal rank" or higher ranked at GSU than Emory.

These two facts considered, the question then becomes who has a better chance, higher ranked at GSU with no debt or lower ranked at Emory with debt? (Sorry had to throw $$$ in the mix :) )
Never pick a school because you think you can rank higher.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

antneymatt

New

Post by antneymatt » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:08 pm

athenian wrote:
clemson09 wrote:

Never pick a school because you think you can rank higher.
I agree, in fact I hear a lot of 2 and 3L's talk about how class rankings seem totally arbitrary. Some of the most seemingly bright students end up ranking below where they expect.

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Apologize if this is not the correct forum, but...

For any new students looking for housing, I have a nice studio loft walking distance to campus for rent starting in August. It is about 600ft^2, recently renovated, in a cool area (Castleberry Hill). The price is $775 which is the best you'll do for a safe and private living arrangement this close to campus. I'll be attending the PT program in the fall so you are dealing with a colleague. PM me if interested.

twocuphabit

New

Post by twocuphabit » Mon May 02, 2011 7:00 pm

So, I decided today to withdraw from consideration at John Marshall. I'd been offered only a 7k scholarship, and they refused to budge. Michael Lozano told me that their scholarship system was on a strict LSAT grid. For instance, to get 10k, I'd have to have a 160. Personally, I think it's ridiculous. How are they going to become more competitive if they don't incent those with higher LSATs, etc? I mean, even with a 154, I'm still in the 75% there!

In any case, I'm going to ride the GSU waitlist to the bitter end. If I don't make it this cycle, I'm retaking the LSAT after taking a prep course, trying to get a few things adjusted to raise my undergrad GPA (don't ask, it's long and convoluted), and will work on developing some kickass relationships for recs.

uwgbluedevil

Bronze

Post by uwgbluedevil » Mon May 02, 2011 10:29 pm

twocuphabit wrote:So, I decided today to withdraw from consideration at John Marshall. I'd been offered only a 7k scholarship, and they refused to budge. Michael Lozano told me that their scholarship system was on a strict LSAT grid. For instance, to get 10k, I'd have to have a 160. Personally, I think it's ridiculous. How are they going to become more competitive if they don't incent those with higher LSATs, etc? I mean, even with a 154, I'm still in the 75% there!

In any case, I'm going to ride the GSU waitlist to the bitter end. If I don't make it this cycle, I'm retaking the LSAT after taking a prep course, trying to get a few things adjusted to raise my undergrad GPA (don't ask, it's long and convoluted), and will work on developing some kickass relationships for recs.
probably a good idea. good luck with the waitlist. I hope we have a chance to be classmates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Roxybsr

New

Post by Roxybsr » Thu May 05, 2011 7:41 am

So checked my status today on their site and now I'm listed as priority wait list. Sounds good! I hope so! :D

twocuphabit

New

Post by twocuphabit » Thu May 05, 2011 9:59 am

Roxybsr wrote:So checked my status today on their site and now I'm listed as priority wait list. Sounds good! I hope so! :D
Roxy, I just checked, and I have the same status! I am so excited!!! I hope that you and I will be classmates this fall. :)

antneymatt

New

Post by antneymatt » Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 am

Roxybsr wrote:So checked my status today on their site and now I'm listed as priority wait list. Sounds good! I hope so! :D
I finally called yesterday to find out what priority wait list means. Apparently it just means that you have confirmed that you want to be on the wait list. I had to send in the bottom half of my letter to confirm my wait list status.

I was a little bummed. I was hoping it meant something better. Good luck though.

xxair15xx

New

Post by xxair15xx » Mon May 16, 2011 2:43 am

Impatient wrote:GSU's campuses has tons of homeless. Going to class is like walking through a scene of The Walking Dead. Pretty sure Emory doesnt have that issue, although their campus is shit too.

I agree

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akealon

New

Post by akealon » Thu May 19, 2011 8:11 am

Does anyone know when the latest round of seat deposits were/are due for those of us hanging out on the waitlist?

twocuphabit

New

Post by twocuphabit » Thu May 19, 2011 8:46 am

akealon wrote:Does anyone know when the latest round of seat deposits were/are due for those of us hanging out on the waitlist?
Dr. George is handling a conference/ group on campus and going out of town sometime this month. She gave me the impression that she wouldn't be making any decisions during this time.

We should see some movement on the list in June. The last deposits are due 5/27, and they give 7 days for mail lags. I was told to make contact after 6/6 if I hadn't heard anything.

HTH! :)

twocuphabit

New

Post by twocuphabit » Thu May 19, 2011 9:04 am

I just noticed this in my notes from my meeting with Dr. George:

73 waits
190 deposits

I *THINK* that means that there are 73 on the waitlist for day, and that there are 190 deposits down in the day program. I'm not sure if that's FT, PT, or both. I'm sorry I don't have more info - I forgot I had this, and have now forgotten what my scribbles mean! :lol:

clemson09

New

Post by clemson09 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:11 am

From my conversations with her... She said they are over-full in the day program by 17 seats right now. FWIW she told me the last seat deposit was due on the 20th and mid to late june they would know for sure where they have availability for waitlist

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”