IN at GULC c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:57 pm

sent in intent to enroll :-)

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Got an email asking me to tell them if I'm coming or not so they can free up money. I just got my offer from them, but, regardless, I decided to withdraw. Hope that gives some money to those waiting!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Well, I just got finaid information, and the only aid was $4700 of work study and everything else in loans. Withdrawing now. It's been nice talking with you all in this thread, and I hope those of you who go to GULC enjoy it :D

thekunstis

New

Post by thekunstis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:51 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Well, I just got finaid information, and the only aid was $4700 of work study and everything else in loans. Withdrawing now. It's been nice talking with you all in this thread, and I hope those of you who go to GULC enjoy it :D
Just got my award info today. Just loans. does that mean I get no merit aid or does one have nothing to do with the other?

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:45 am

thekunstis wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Well, I just got finaid information, and the only aid was $4700 of work study and everything else in loans. Withdrawing now. It's been nice talking with you all in this thread, and I hope those of you who go to GULC enjoy it :D
Just got my award info today. Just loans. does that mean I get no merit aid or does one have nothing to do with the other?
My first award was just loans and need-based aid. Then out of nowhere I got a substantial scholarship. Don't give up hope

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cngreen

New

Post by cngreen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:59 am

Was anyone else told they would be receiving info on schollys by today?

coug11

Bronze

Post by coug11 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

cngreen wrote:Was anyone else told they would be receiving info on schollys by today?
Ya, I was told "We promise to get back to you with more information on funding by April 12th, if not sooner." Yesterday = silence, except for the e-mail about official transcripts.

cngreen

New

Post by cngreen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 am

coug11 wrote:
cngreen wrote:Was anyone else told they would be receiving info on schollys by today?
Ya, I was told "We promise to get back to you with more information on funding by April 12th, if not sooner." Yesterday = silence, except for the e-mail about official transcripts.
Well, that dampened my expectations for today. :|

Dais1003

New

Post by Dais1003 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Has anyone who got in off the waitlist received a scholarship offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cngreen

New

Post by cngreen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:15 am

Anyone else out there waiting on merit aid?

lawscholar20

New

Post by lawscholar20 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:28 pm

cngreen wrote:Anyone else out there waiting on merit aid?
Yes. They told me they would get back by the 13th ("maybe sooner!!"). Yeah right. I guess they are waiting for my GW scholarship leverage to cease to exist.

lawscholar20

New

Post by lawscholar20 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:31 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:
cngreen wrote:Anyone else out there waiting on merit aid?
Yes. They told me they would get back by the 13th ("maybe sooner!!"). Yeah right. I guess they are waiting for my GW scholarship leverage to cease to exist.
Ha!!!! As I submitted the last post I just received an email from Georgetown pushing me off to the 19th!!!!!!! Ant they PROMISED they will respond to me by then.

Teflon1974

New

Post by Teflon1974 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:
thekunstis wrote:
My first award was just loans and need-based aid. Then out of nowhere I got a substantial scholarship. Don't give up hope
Do they automatically submit you for scholarships, or did you go through some application process? All the scholarships on Appendix E (http://www.law.georgetown.edu/registrar ... ices/e.cfm) are just short blurbs with no details. I emailed for more information, but have not heard anything back yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 am

Now I understand why GULC gets the bad rep. After 5 emails telling me my scholly is coming, I am withdrawing.

cngreen

New

Post by cngreen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:30 am

bmore wrote:Now I understand why GULC gets the bad rep. After 5 emails telling me my scholly is coming, I am withdrawing.
I just got my award yesterday and accepted (a day after they told me I would get it). I think they are very careful with their money and want to get each student for as cheap as possible. So I had to wait until someone turned down a previous offer and my accepting this offer means those told to wait may not get an award/might get a smaller one. I emailed them back and forth a lot and there was a lot of negotiation going on. We hit the mid-mark between where both sides started, so I'm happy with what I got.

All that to say, I think GULC knows its going to fill its seats and can pick and choose who to coax. I basically told them I'd give up my first born child for an award, and I think they listened to that. :|

Looking forward to seeing everyone who decides to attend in August.

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:19 am

bmore wrote:Now I understand why GULC gets the bad rep. After 5 emails telling me my scholly is coming, I am withdrawing.
For real, with my withdrawal letter I told them that was one of the reasons. I'm through with GULC. But hey, atleast they "wish me much success in my future endeavors"!

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:45 am

mfeller2 wrote:
For real, with my withdrawal letter I told them that was one of the reasons. I'm through with GULC. But hey, atleast they "wish me much success in my future endeavors"!
+1 They kept me strung along for award money for too long. Withdrew today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JFo

Bronze

Post by JFo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:51 pm

bleedblue wrote:
mfeller2 wrote:
+1 They kept me strung along for award money for too long. Withdrew today.
+a billion. Withdrew today!

feyonce

New

Post by feyonce » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:37 pm

on a completely different subject (sorry guys!), does anybody know anywhere super cheap to stay in dc for one night that is near the law school? i'll be visiting next week, and i'd be down for a hostel or anything, as long as it fits a tiny budget.

thanks!!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:54 am

feyonce wrote:on a completely different subject (sorry guys!), does anybody know anywhere super cheap to stay in dc for one night that is near the law school? i'll be visiting next week, and i'd be down for a hostel or anything, as long as it fits a tiny budget.

thanks!!
I don't know about hostels, but you're not going to find any hotels in D.C. that are "super cheap", or even somewhat cheap, that you want to stay in. On hotwire I found a Hyatt on Capitol hill, 2 blocks from GULC, or like $130/night. That was the best I could find in the district without staying in a crack motel.

FutureInLaw

Bronze

Post by FutureInLaw » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Is anyone diving into this at sticker? I'm not sure I can do that :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:25 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Is anyone diving into this at sticker? I'm not sure I can do that :(
I was thinking about it but then decided to take scholly money at GW instead.

Zooey

New

Post by Zooey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:24 am

Keep getting this message when i try to generate a username and password: "Your username and password could not be generated at this time. Please double-check that the information you entered was correct."

Any suggestions? (and yes, i double-checked to make sure the information was correct.)

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:08 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Is anyone diving into this at sticker? I'm not sure I can do that :(
After a LOT of debating back and forth with myself, I think I am. PM me if you'd like to discuss.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:43 am

RTFM wrote:
After a LOT of debating back and forth with myself, I think I am. PM me if you'd like to discuss.
According to Admissions Dean (http://www.admissionsdean.com/law_schoo ... ancial-aid), over 60% of GULC students attend without any aid whatsoever. Comments? Does this seem realistic? At Duke, I think something like over 65% get some kind of merit/need scholarship... granted, this data is a bit old, but still...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”