American University 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
grnidgrl

New

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Post by grnidgrl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 am

I applied really late in the cycle because I took the Feb LSAT. I'm also not living in the country right now which is making everything more challenging. I missed the Need Access deadline, called like 2 days later and was pretty much told that if you didn't apply on time you aren't going to get anything. I still kind of want to go there since I'm really interested in International Law and they have such a good program, but I really don't want to go so far into debt. I'm also still waiting to here from Temple, which has good programs, is a lot less expensive, and is closer to home. Does anyone thin American is worth paying sticker? Any advice?

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:55 am

grnidgrl wrote:I applied really late in the cycle because I took the Feb LSAT. I'm also not living in the country right now which is making everything more challenging. I missed the Need Access deadline, called like 2 days later and was pretty much told that if you didn't apply on time you aren't going to get anything. I still kind of want to go there since I'm really interested in International Law and they have such a good program, but I really don't want to go so far into debt. I'm also still waiting to here from Temple, which has good programs, is a lot less expensive, and is closer to home. Does anyone thin American is worth paying sticker? Any advice?
If I were you I'd probably retake in June or September then reapply in the fall. You'll be better off applying much earlier in the cycle.

nightman09

Bronze

Post by nightman09 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 am

How're people finding their financial aid packages on my.american.edu? I can't seem to find it... :oops:

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:20 am

nightman09 wrote:How're people finding their financial aid packages on my.american.edu? I can't seem to find it... :oops:
Sign in. Go to Finances->"Financial Aid: Loan Adjustment Request"->2011

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Despite applying and getting in within the same business week I only got federal loans amount to less than 50% of the tuition cost. This seems, to me, like it is simply not possible to attend the school since neither myself nor my parents can chip anything in.

Is there any point in emailing them or should I just let it go? I was really interested in this school but I may be forced go a few steps lower to get $$$.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:09 pm

things fall apart wrote:Despite applying and getting in within the same business week I only got federal loans amount to less than 50% of the tuition cost. This seems, to me, like it is simply not possible to attend the school since neither myself nor my parents can chip anything in.

Is there any point in emailing them or should I just let it go? I was really interested in this school but I may be forced go a few steps lower to get $$$.
Do you mean grants covered up to half tuition? Grants are loans you don't have to pay back. Federal loans cover the rest.

jplwine

New

Post by jplwine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Flips88 wrote:
things fall apart wrote:Despite applying and getting in within the same business week I only got federal loans amount to less than 50% of the tuition cost. This seems, to me, like it is simply not possible to attend the school since neither myself nor my parents can chip anything in.

Do you mean grants covered up to half tuition? Grants are loans you don't have to pay back. Federal loans cover the rest.
Or, did you mean that the Stafford Loans only covered about half tuition($20,500)? You can still apply for GraduatePlus loans if that is the case. American doesn't seem to offer lots of $$$ unless you apply for PIPS.

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:51 am

I emailed admissions a few weeks ago to be reconsidered for a merit scholarship and I just received an email with a 5k merit offer.

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm

abonda01 wrote:I emailed admissions a few weeks ago to be reconsidered for a merit scholarship and I just received an email with a 5k merit offer.
Someone on the admissions desk said that they were doing another round of merit schollys and that they would be notifying people mid to late this week. Glad to know someone got something!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deepspacenine

New

Post by deepspacenine » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:38 pm

abonda01 wrote:I emailed admissions a few weeks ago to be reconsidered for a merit scholarship and I just received an email with a 5k merit offer.
Did they give you a one time or 3 year? Do they even give 3 year 5k schollys?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:41 pm

deepspacenine wrote:
They only give non-renewable scholarships (with the exception of PIPS)

deepspacenine

New

Post by deepspacenine » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Flips88 wrote:
deepspacenine wrote:
So there are no 2L and 3L scholarships except for PIPS?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:08 pm

deepspacenine wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
deepspacenine wrote:
So there are no 2L and 3L scholarships except for PIPS?
I think you can apply for them and they may offer them, but what they offer you is for first year only and nothing guaranteed after. so you could theoretically get some more, but you could end up with only $5k/$10k and no more after.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deepspacenine

New

Post by deepspacenine » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Flips88 wrote: I think you can apply for them and they may offer them, but what they offer you is for first year only and nothing guaranteed after. so you could theoretically get some more, but you could end up with only $5k/$10k and no more after.
Thanks for the info! Bummer there isn't more money to offer given the high cost/COL in DC. Good luck to everyone deciding and still waiting to hear about acceptance!

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:19 pm

deepspacenine wrote:
Flips88 wrote: I think you can apply for them and they may offer them, but what they offer you is for first year only and nothing guaranteed after. so you could theoretically get some more, but you could end up with only $5k/$10k and no more after.
Thanks for the info! Bummer there isn't more money to offer given the high cost/COL in DC. Good luck to everyone deciding and still waiting to hear about acceptance!
I find it pretty absurd, especially considering how important scholarships are in attracting more talent to your school, thus increasing your rankings. So either American doesn't have very much money, or they don't care about improving their rankings. I find both a bit irksome.

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Don't listen to me, I just want more money. :P

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 pm

abonda01 wrote:
deepspacenine wrote:
I find it pretty absurd, especially considering how important scholarships are in attracting more talent to your school, thus increasing your rankings. So either American doesn't have very much money, or they don't care about improving their rankings. I find both a bit irksome.
They are poorly endowed for scholarship since a lot of their alumni go into public interest work and don't have money to donate

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Flips88 wrote: They are poorly endowed for scholarship since a lot of their alumni go into public interest work and don't have money to donate
That makes a lot of sense.

ZFB

New

Post by ZFB » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:32 pm

deepspacenine wrote:So there are no 2L and 3L scholarships except for PIPS?
At the ASD they stated that there are scholarships other than PIPS available to 2L and 3L's other than PIPS. I'm pretty sure at least one of them is full-tuition+ (don't have the info with me at work).

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:54 pm

There seem to be a number of other scholarships, but they are awarded during the year rather than during the admissions process: http://www.wcl.american.edu/finaid/restrict_funding.cfm

cam22

New

Post by cam22 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08 pm

Anyone else seriously considering this school, I'll likely be putting my deposit in this weekend? Any other tls'ers doing the same or have already.

P.S WCL gets no love on this site:(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ZFB

New

Post by ZFB » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:14 pm

cam22 wrote:Anyone else seriously considering this school, I'll likely be putting my deposit in this weekend? Any other tls'ers doing the same or have already.

I am. My goals are not Big Law and I think WCL will be able to provide me exactly the education and opportunities I need to get where I want to be.

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:19 pm

I ultimately decided to just attend the graduate school in the fall and maybe retake and reapply next cycle...I really really liked the law school when I visited but I got no merit or need-based aid and I just cannot justify paying sticker.

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:06 pm

cam22 wrote:Anyone else seriously considering this school, I'll likely be putting my deposit in this weekend? Any other tls'ers doing the same or have already.

Put in my deposit today!!

ZFB

New

Post by ZFB » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:32 pm

At this point I'm just waiting a little longer to see if I can get any of that reassign merit aid. If not, oh well, I'll suck it up and deal with it, but it would certainly help.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”