Loyola Chicago Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Philosopher1

New

Re: Loyola Chicago

Post by Philosopher1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:03 pm

What's upp Loyola-Chi. I'm the closest to attending here than anywhere else. We'll have to see how all this ends up. Is anyone excited?

eweller

New

Post by eweller » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:16 pm

Last edited by eweller on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:53 pm

For anyone who applied to any of the fellowships and is wondering when they're going to get back to you, I called and endured 6 minutes of a show choir singing Gavin Degraw hold music and was informed that decisions will be out by the end of this month or the beginning of April. So not much longer to wait!

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Kind of worried- Tried to negotiate more scholly money, they informed me of a need-based grant I was awarded.

Still haven't gotten it via snail mail (been two weeks) Should I email/call them again to verify?

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Also, does anyone want to tell me about their facilities, I think I'm going back this weekend to check it out.

Do you guys like it? Dislike?
What is it like in comparison to DePaul?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm

StacyStrong wrote:Also, does anyone want to tell me about their facilities, I think I'm going back this weekend to check it out.

MUCH nicer facilities wise.

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:31 pm

oh that's a relief

i didn't mind depauls

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:48 pm

StacyStrong wrote:Kind of worried- Tried to negotiate more scholly money, they informed me of a need-based grant I was awarded.

Still haven't gotten it via snail mail (been two weeks) Should I email/call them again to verify?
probably wouldn't hurt to call them, maybe it got lost.

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:51 pm

StacyStrong wrote:Also, does anyone want to tell me about their facilities, I think I'm going back this weekend to check it out.

The classroom I saw at DePaul was small and cramped and a train rushed by every couple minutes and rattled the windows. Loyola's facilities are a hundred times nicer, also I like the location of Loyola better. Loyola has a really nice new courtroom that is amazing and has a great view of downtown & lake michigan (not that it's why you pick a school, just thought I'd throw that in).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Loyola's facilities are much nicer. DePaul's feels very cramped to me and it clearly hasn't been remodeled for a very long time. It's really nice that it's right by the DePaul Center (which is a great facility), but the law school itself is depressing. There's very little natural light and there are these random pillars in the middle of most of the lecture classrooms. The El is RIGHT next to it, too, so the windows frequently rattle. If I was in love with the school, none of this would be a big deal. But since I'm not, and they refused to give me the money Loyola did, I'm glad I won't have to deal with these things.

The downside to Loyola is that undergrads take classes in the building, too, unlike DePaul, but that's one small detail that doesn't persuade me away from the school. I personally prefer DePaul's location. It's right by the Dirksen Federal Building and a few blocks from the Daley Center. It's more in the heart of downtown than Loyola is. Loyola is about a 20 minute walk from the loop. That's not a big deal, but it's an annoying location to get to, especially if you don't want to live off the red line or end up working somewhere that's not off the red line.

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:50 pm

I just emailed admissions about the ChildLaw fellowship, Adreani Scholarship and Judge Campbell Public Interest scholarship for anyone interested. They've already invited finalists for the Adreani scholarship to interview, and let me know that I'm the first alternate. Yay? I think? They say the recipient of the public interest scholarship will find out by this upcoming Monday. The ChildLaw center told me that the faculty are still reviewing applications for the ChildLaw fellowship and didn't give me an estimate for when we should hear by.

Looking forward to this weekend's admitted students day!

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:17 pm

emmac wrote:

Loyola's facilities are much nicer. DePaul's feels very cramped to me and it clearly hasn't been remodeled for a very long time. It's really nice that it's right by the DePaul Center (which is a great facility), but the law school itself is depressing. There's very little natural light and there are these random pillars in the middle of most of the lecture classrooms. The El is RIGHT next to it, too, so the windows frequently rattle. If I was in love with the school, none of this would be a big deal. But since I'm not, and they refused to give me the money Loyola did, I'm glad I won't have to deal with these things.

The downside to Loyola is that undergrads take classes in the building, too, unlike DePaul, but that's one small detail that doesn't persuade me away from the school. I personally prefer DePaul's location. It's right by the Dirksen Federal Building and a few blocks from the Daley Center. It's more in the heart of downtown than Loyola is. Loyola is about a 20 minute walk from the loop. That's not a big deal, but it's an annoying location to get to, especially if you don't want to live off the red line or end up working somewhere that's not off the red line.
the good thing is I was told undergrads are only on the bottom few floors of the building at Loyola's campus, and the students I talked to said they rarely see them...

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:37 pm

ashrh01 wrote:
emmac wrote:

the good thing is I was told undergrads are only on the bottom few floors of the building at Loyola's campus, and the students I talked to said they rarely see them...
You will usually only see them in the lobby or the elevator, when they make you stop on three floors before you get high enough to be in the law school. A couple of current students have recent grads have said that's their only complaint (students too lazy to walk up one flight of stairs). They also study in the law library sometimes, but only the studious ones that are looking for a quiet place to study, which is fine. The elevator thing will happen at any urban school, so both DePaul and Loyola will have that minor annoyance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 am

Okay, so I'm looking at my financial aid package. Does anyone know how to go about REDUCING the amount of aid they are giving you? I'm going to live at home for at least my first year so I don't need to take out loans for housing and what not but the package has that all automatically included.

Anyone?

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:15 am

StacyStrong wrote:Okay, so I'm looking at my financial aid package. Does anyone know how to go about REDUCING the amount of aid they are giving you? I'm going to live at home for at least my first year so I don't need to take out loans for housing and what not but the package has that all automatically included.

Anyone?
I did the same thing, but because I don't need as much as they anticipate for living expenses. Just write next to each loan how much you want from it, sign the bottom, and mail it back to admissions.

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 am

Thank you thank you.

What about the whole "health insurance" thing. I already have it. Is there a form I have to sign to get out of their mandatory one?

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:48 am

Hey guys. I'm in the process of making a google calendar with all my seat deposit due dates. I can't find Loyola's on the website and I don't have their written correspondance with me. Can anyone help me out with dates and amounts due? Thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:11 pm

ash8309 wrote:Hey guys. I'm in the process of making a google calendar with all my seat deposit due dates. I can't find Loyola's on the website and I don't have their written correspondance with me. Can anyone help me out with dates and amounts due? Thank you!
April 15th and $250 I believe.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Just placed my seat deposit so I officially will be attending. Still hoping to get that Health Law Fellowship.

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Spack wrote:Just placed my seat deposit so I officially will be attending. Still hoping to get that Health Law Fellowship.
+1

tenpenny3

New

Post by tenpenny3 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:08 pm

sending in deposit very soon, I really enjoyed the school.

I see some of you were at the admitted student day this past sat, anyways.

I visited DePaul, and Kent on friday, and Loyola on sat. I must say, (for me atleast), loyola had a much better feel to it. Kent's facilities were really nice, but everything about them felt too new? Can't explain it well, but... yea. DePaul IS getting renovated starting this summer (according to our guide), but I couldn't imagine a class of 70ish people in the classrooms they showed us.

did i mention loyola has NO friday class and the day starts at 10am?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:39 am

Is Loyola giving out any stipends for travel/lodging to ASW? I hope to go to the April 9 visit but not sure I can swing both flight and hotel.

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:06 am

ash8309 wrote:Is Loyola giving out any stipends for travel/lodging to ASW? I hope to go to the April 9 visit but not sure I can swing both flight and hotel.
I asked about stipends and they said they don't do them.

EK14

New

Post by EK14 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:36 pm

tenpenny3 wrote:sending in deposit very soon, I really enjoyed the school.

I see some of you were at the admitted student day this past sat, anyways.

I visited DePaul, and Kent on friday, and Loyola on sat. I must say, (for me atleast), loyola had a much better feel to it. Kent's facilities were really nice, but everything about them felt too new? Can't explain it well, but... yea. DePaul IS getting renovated starting this summer (according to our guide), but I couldn't imagine a class of 70ish people in the classrooms they showed us.

did i mention loyola has NO friday class and the day starts at 10am?

unfortunately i was unable to go to ASW, and probably cant make it April 9th. Was wondering if their was any other useful info relayed to the people that went.

On another note, did they mention anything about helping to find roommates for those who wish to live off campus.

Berdman

New

Post by Berdman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Accepted late last week. Really impressed with Loyola so far. Between the admissions office' candor, informative phone calls from 2Ls, and their frequent mailings this is quickly becoming my first choice. Just need to hear back from a couple schools that need 3 months to review an app :-)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”