In at University of Missouri Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
molazapuku

Bronze

Re: In at University of Missouri

Post by molazapuku » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:04 pm

Scholarships are definitely rolling out, just got the same $9,000 a year conditional on staying in the top 50%. 3.21/163, I am in MO so that is a bit more than 50% of their expected tuition next year. I am quite pleased.

raeq63

New

Post by raeq63 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:11 pm

I got my $$ letter yesterday and they gave me $7k/year and my numbers are 167/4.09... any idea why I got $2k less per year?

Drumsetdude

New

Post by Drumsetdude » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Scholarship letter arrived today, offering $7,000/year. 158,3.3, MO resident. Three years of law school tuition for the price of one anywhere else is going to be hard to pass up.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 pm

$9000/year, same stipulations. 160/3.0 OOS. Now I'm definitely considering Mizzou.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:26 pm

raeq63 wrote:I got my $$ letter yesterday and they gave me $7k/year and my numbers are 167/4.09... any idea why I got $2k less per year?
The bigger question is why you weren't offered full tuition + books + living expenses. Honestly, I'm also surprised you weren't YPed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 pm

$9k a year, in state, same stipulations.
I love the money, I've loved how friendly the admissions department has been, I just don't love Columbia weather:(
This is going to be hard to pass up, though.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 pm

legalprincess wrote:$9k a year, in state, same stipulations.
I love the money, I've loved how friendly the admissions department has been, I just don't love Columbia weather:(
What's the weather situation?

ect88

New

Post by ect88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:56 pm

EricBerry wrote:
I personally don't think the weather here in Columbia is bad. Sure, we're seeing a pretty nasty winter right now...but so is most of the Midwest. Typically there's only 2 or 3 decent snows a year (if that) and it's rare to have temps over 100 in the summer.

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:06 am

EricBerry wrote:
Don't worry, you won't hit a penguin on your way to class or anything! I'm just from the southern tip of the state--I'm used to skipping class and preparing for armegeddon everytime there's a sorta' kinda' chance of snow!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:10 am

ect88 wrote:
EricBerry wrote:
I personally don't think the weather here in Columbia is bad. Sure, we're seeing a pretty nasty winter right now...but so is most of the Midwest. Typically there's only 2 or 3 decent snows a year (if that) and it's rare to have temps over 100 in the summer.
Yea Columbia weather is normally, well, normal. HOWEVER at the moment we are preparing for frickin snowmageddon, but hey, no class tomorrow.

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:36 am

I'd gladly take some extra snow for lower temperatures less humidity in the summer (from TN).

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Yeah, right now...not a good time to talk about weather. But I have NEVER seen anything like this. Storm hasnt even really started it and the entire city is shut down.

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:43 pm

I went to undergrad at Mizzou... took a couple classes in the law school, and was close to the former Dean of Academic Affairs...
feel free to pm me a/b anything mizzou... i log on to tls often, but messages ping my email

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Visited yesterday. I'm in-state, received a good scholarship, so I'll be attending next year.

mreddish

New

Post by mreddish » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:11 am

I applied October 10th and was accepted in about a week. Agree about admissions being so personable! Michelle has been awesome. It's nice to feel wanted and that goes a long way with me.

Couple of cool things for out of staters like myself:
1. You only have to pay OOS tuition your first year. As long as you make $2,000 that year, and live in Missouri for 12 months, you will be given instate your third semester.
2. If you are married (like me) and your spouse obtains 40 hr/wk employment with benefits by September 15th you will be granted instate tuition your first year. Really hoping this one works out for me.

I am non-urm, 159 and 3.2
Received the $9,000/year scholarship mentioned above

If I can get instate then school will only cost about $6k-$7k at MU.

The only thing that would really concern me is another bad drop in the rankings, MU really plummeted last year. Hopefully they rebound though. I think that might be one of the reasons for them being so personable, quick and generous.

EricBerry, are you a UT Knoxville grad also? I was class of 08.

ect88

New

Post by ect88 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:33 pm

I originally wasn't planning on seriously considering MU, but some recent family circumstances have brought it back onto the table for me.

I e-mailed asking about the potential to negotiate scholarship...they said that as people drop, they will go ahead and redistribute the money. So it looks like there's nothing you need to do...just hope you get a letter saying your scholarship has been upped!

I really love Mizzou and I will be in no way sad to stay here. I just hope I can get more money...it'll be painful to turn down some better offers elsewhere.

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm

They told me the same thing about automatic re-distribution, for whatever it is worth. Visiting this weekend to actually sit in on a class (missed it on the first go-around), and if all goes well I will probably hand them my seat deposite.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:06 am

I visited for the first time this weekend (I think I'm the one Missouri resident on the planet who had never actually been on the campus before)-I admit, I liked Columbia better than I expected to. Actually, the campus was rather breathtaking in its own way.
Still, I'm going to have a hard time turning down my better (and warmer weathered) acceptances. If my scholarship is upped any further, though, I just may have to:)

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Where else have been accepted?

Any of you going to the STL/Columbia admitted student receptions?

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:07 pm

I'll be at the St. Louis reception next week.

dctd

New

Post by dctd » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:25 pm

I'll be at the Columbia reception...

Well, I guess unless my decision to go to Mizzou blows up in my face before then.

I decided that I would be heading to Columbia after a disappointing 157 in Oct. I didn't get a scholarship offer in February, but the admissions office had been encouraging me to take the Feb test which I got back last week and I got a 163. From what you all have said, and from what I have gathered from other people that did receive scholarship offers, had I received that score by the time the scholarship offers went out, I should have got the 9k/ year as well (I graduated in December with a 3.83 from a school MU Law traditionally has loved). The admissions office said they'd need a week to sort through the Feb scores before they could offer me a scholarship, but I just have this feeling it's going to be too little, too late, and I'll get something much less than the 9k/ year that I feel my numbers indicate I deserve. Ugh. I guess we'll see what happens, but I'm not optimistic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:51 pm

So far the best acceptance to come with money is LSU--admittedly, it's not exactly Harvard, but it is higher ranked, and more importantly, it has the kind of weather that will allow for year round Croakies and boat shoes:)
I certainly will be at the Columbia recpetion.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Can anyone offer a Missouri resident's perspective about the school? I've been mostly applying to Midwest schools (I'm another native Californian trying to escape this unemployment/state fees/real estate/taxation/rent too damned high fail) without much perspective about the Mizzou's reputation within the surrounding area. Most of what I hear about the area very positive, but everything else is just TLS profiles or info I read in books.

Any insight from someone who grew up in Missouri would be helpful. Or, someone who grew up in Missouri, left for UG, and is moving back for the law school is especially welcomed for contrast.

I'm also going to the reception in Columbia on March 23rd, so I might see some of you there.

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:50 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:Can anyone offer a Missouri resident's perspective about the school? I've been mostly applying to Midwest schools (I'm another native Californian trying to escape this unemployment/state fees/real estate/taxation/rent too damned high fail) without much perspective about the Mizzou's reputation within the surrounding area. Most of what I hear about the area very positive, but everything else is just TLS profiles or info I read in books.

Any insight from someone who grew up in Missouri would be helpful. Or, someone who grew up in Missouri, left for UG, and is moving back for the law school is especially welcomed for contrast.

I'm also going to the reception in Columbia on March 23rd, so I might see some of you there.
Missouri born and raised, SEC school for undergrad. If you don't mind practicing in Missouri, by all means, go to Mizzou. It's friendly (not as friendly as the south, but still quite pleasant), it's cheap if you can get in-state tuition, Missouri employers like Mizzou grads, it has a good alumni base (including many of our top politicians), and for its size, Columbia is pretty fun. At the same time, Missouri is not known for its glamour. We're a state filled with people who wear sensible clothes and drive sensible cars. We drink Budweiser, wear lots of North Face, drive Ford Explorers, and cheer on the Tigers.
We have all types of course, but if you can't handle the thought of being around people like that, you might want to consider somewhere else:)

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:43 pm

legalprincess wrote: Missouri born and raised, SEC school for undergrad. If you don't mind practicing in Missouri, by all means, go to Mizzou. It's friendly (not as friendly as the south, but still quite pleasant), it's cheap if you can get in-state tuition, Missouri employers like Mizzou grads, it has a good alumni base (including many of our top politicians), and for its size, Columbia is pretty fun. At the same time, Missouri is not known for its glamour. We're a state filled with people who wear sensible clothes and drive sensible cars. We drink Budweiser, wear lots of North Face, drive Ford Explorers, and cheer on the Tigers.
We have all types of course, but if you can't handle the thought of being around people like that, you might want to consider somewhere else:)
Hmm. . .good to know. I guess I'll have to visit with those things in mind (I do like Coors better than Budweiser though). The portability of the degree is a bit of a concern, but if it's possible to get my foot in the door at a good job, then I'd be less hesitant to enroll.

I have to admit that working in Missouri would sound a lot better if it weren't for all the damned Chiefs fans :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”