South Texas 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
andrewb414

New

Re: South Texas 2011

Post by andrewb414 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:18 am

@Grad Student...
Thanks! I know what kind of student that is, and I am not one of them. While I like to answer questions, I don't answer every one, nor do I bother the class with hypothetical bs.

Thanks!

grb

New

Post by grb » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 am

Withdrawing with mixed emotions my FT seat today. Happy to make some wait-lister's day! STCL is a great place!

h0peful

New

Post by h0peful » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:28 pm

grb wrote:Withdrawing with mixed emotions my FT seat today. Happy to make some wait-lister's day! STCL is a great place!

YAYYYYYYYY

I got into the FT program off the waitlist!
Maybe I got your spot!!

SO EXCITED!!

Kiwi3891

New

Post by Kiwi3891 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Do we need to accept the gradplus loan only on Stanley?

How are the funds dispersed? Does STCL take it directly from your award and deposit the rest to an account? Or do they give us the entire sum and we pay the tuition direct?

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Kiwi3891 wrote:Do we need to accept the gradplus loan only on Stanley?

How are the funds dispersed? Does STCL take it directly from your award and deposit the rest to an account? Or do they give us the entire sum and we pay the tuition direct?
I'm pretty sure that all you have to do is except the funds through Stanley.

The school will apply the funds and then issue you a check if there are left overs. I've seen them come as early as a week before school to as late as a week after school. You'll probably have to buy books on credit cards :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grb

New

Post by grb » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:01 pm

h0peful wrote:
grb wrote:Withdrawing with mixed emotions my FT seat today. Happy to make some wait-lister's day! STCL is a great place!

YAYYYYYYYY

I got into the FT program off the waitlist!
Maybe I got your spot!!

SO EXCITED!!
Actually withdrew late in the day, so you didn't get my spot, but someone else will. Really happy for you!!! Getting in off the wait list is much more exciting. We want it and appreciate it more. Congratulations!! And YIPPIE!!

holliebell

New

Post by holliebell » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:32 am

Grad_Student wrote:

The school will apply the funds and then issue you a check if there are left overs. I've seen them come as early as a week before school to as late as a week after school. You'll probably have to buy books on credit cards :(

NOOOO!!!! Accepting the gradplus loans only through Stanley means that you will NOT get them. You have to go to studentloans.gov and apply for the gradplus loan. Because the gradplus loan is not based on need, it is based on credit, you have to be approved for it. They will check your credit and come back with an automatic answer (approved or denied). If you are denied (the only reasons you will be denied are if you have some loans 90 days delinquent or more, if you have filed for bankruptcy, etc...) you can appeal the decision and you will have to prove that you are up to date on everything. If worse comes to worse you will need a co signer. This needs to be done by, I think, June 27th!!!!

holliebell

New

Post by holliebell » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:14 am

Grad_Student wrote:
holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:Looks like the fall schedule is up. No idea if y'all have been placed into Sections but take a look!
Yup, we have the complete section schedules up on the facebook page. We get our sections on June 20th. Do you have any idea which section is the best professor wise? I'll write it out here so you don't have to go back and forth looking it up.

Section A

Civil Procedure- Rensberger

Criminal Law- Wheeler

Torts I.- Field

Legal Research & Writing-N/A

Contracts I.- Carlson, R.

Section B

Civil Procedure- Wilks

Criminal Law- Moses

Torts I.- Moore, S.

Contracts I.- Kelso

Section C

Civil Procedure- Taylor, C.

Criminal Law- Corn

Torts I.- Bauman

Contracts I.- Wheeler
Good mix out overall

Rensberger: Very dry but still funny. Won't beat you up too much during recitation.
Wheeler: Toughest professor at STCL. Will make someone cry and loves it. However, a great professor.
Field: New guy, don't know anything about him. He's been around for about a year.
Carlson: Same as Rensberger or so I've heard...I never took him.

Wilks: Jesus Christ, get a supplement. The man is around 857 years old and SPEEDS through shit. I took him for evidence and I can't imagine CivPro being any better...good luck.
Moses: I've heard mixed reviews but never took him. Some say he's awesome, some say he's a weird creepy old man.
Moore: All I can say is look out. She goes on wild mood swings, leaves class, has breakdowns. I have no idea why she is still teaching....one of the worst at STCL. Her test is designed so you DO NOT finish it.
Kelso: Love him or hate him kind of guy. Very dry but you DO learn the law. I loved him. He won't look at students though....stares at the clock.

Taylor: Oh how I love Cherie's short skirts. She never called on one person in my section, she just LOVES to hear herself talk. Get a supplement and you'll do fine.
Corn: Best professor at STCL hands down. That's all I have to say.
Bauman: Funny guy, but don't know much beyond that.
Wheeler: See above.

I guess if I was going to go with a section, I'd choose C.
In Section C it is no longer Wheeler, instead it is Val Ricks. Have you ever had him?

FYI, just found out I'm section C!

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:31 am

holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:

NOOOO!!!! Accepting the gradplus loans only through Stanley means that you will NOT get them. You have to go to studentloans.gov and apply for the gradplus loan. Because the gradplus loan is not based on need, it is based on credit, you have to be approved for it. They will check your credit and come back with an automatic answer (approved or denied). If you are denied (the only reasons you will be denied are if you have some loans 90 days delinquent or more, if you have filed for bankruptcy, etc...) you can appeal the decision and you will have to prove that you are up to date on everything. If worse comes to worse you will need a co signer. This needs to be done by, I think, June 27th!!!!
It's been almost 3 years since I did this...so I would defer to you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:32 am

holliebell wrote: In Section C it is no longer Wheeler, instead it is Val Ricks. Have you ever had him?

Never had Ricks but friends have had him for Corps. He's a good guy, funny but dry humor, not too tough on recitation. Now with Wheeler moved out, this is the best section.

Kiwi3891

New

Post by Kiwi3891 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:57 pm

holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and applied through that website and was approved. I also filled out a MPN. Are there any other forms? Futhermore, do I need to do anything with the Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans aside from accepting them on Stanley?

holliebell

New

Post by holliebell » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:05 am

Kiwi3891 wrote:
holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and applied through that website and was approved. I also filled out a MPN. Are there any other forms? Futhermore, do I need to do anything with the Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans aside from accepting them on Stanley?
Have you done the entrance counseling? You also need to sign MPN's for the stafford loans.

Kiwi3891

New

Post by Kiwi3891 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:30 pm

I did complete the MPN for the stafford loan and did the entrance counseling via studentloans.gov. But just to confirm, there is no overall quiz at the end correct? I did have questions as I was going through it but not an overall comprehensive quiz....Just wanna make sure I have all my ducks in a row! :D

I haven't applied for a student load in forever! LOL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Anybody else find out their Section?

Saw that I'm in Section A.

Kiwi3891

New

Post by Kiwi3891 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:01 pm

TT09 wrote:Anybody else find out their Section?

Section D lgr N--that's part-time though...

angie979

New

Post by angie979 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:25 am

holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:Looks like the fall schedule is up. No idea if y'all have been placed into Sections but take a look!
Yup, we have the complete section schedules up on the facebook page. We get our sections on June 20th. Do you have any idea which section is the best professor wise? I'll write it out here so you don't have to go back and forth looking it up.

Section A

Civil Procedure- Rensberger

Criminal Law- Wheeler

Torts I.- Field

Contracts I.- Carlson, R.

Section B

Civil Procedure- Wilks

Criminal Law- Moses

Torts I.- Moore, S.

Contracts I.- Kelso

Section C

Civil Procedure- Taylor, C.

Criminal Law- Corn

Torts I.- Bauman

Contracts I.- Wheeler
Good mix out overall

Rensberger: Very dry but still funny. Won't beat you up too much during recitation.
Wheeler: Toughest professor at STCL. Will make someone cry and loves it. However, a great professor.
Field: New guy, don't know anything about him. He's been around for about a year.
Carlson: Same as Rensberger or so I've heard...I never took him.

Wilks: Jesus Christ, get a supplement. The man is around 857 years old and SPEEDS through shit. I took him for evidence and I can't imagine CivPro being any better...good luck.
Moses: I've heard mixed reviews but never took him. Some say he's awesome, some say he's a weird creepy old man.
Moore: All I can say is look out. She goes on wild mood swings, leaves class, has breakdowns. I have no idea why she is still teaching....one of the worst at STCL. Her test is designed so you DO NOT finish it.
Kelso: Love him or hate him kind of guy. Very dry but you DO learn the law. I loved him. He won't look at students though....stares at the clock.

Taylor: Oh how I love Cherie's short skirts. She never called on one person in my section, she just LOVES to hear herself talk. Get a supplement and you'll do fine.
Corn: Best professor at STCL hands down. That's all I have to say.
Bauman: Funny guy, but don't know much beyond that.
Wheeler: See above.

I guess if I was going to go with a section, I'd choose C.
In Section C it is no longer Wheeler, instead it is Val Ricks. Have you ever had him?

I'm in section B and Contracts is now Page. Do you know anything about Page?

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:26 am

angie979 wrote: I'm in section B and Contracts is now Page. Do you know anything about Page?
Don't know much. He teaches some of the other UCC courses that my friends had and they enjoyed him. I don't think he's too tough on recitation but I don't know anything about his exam sorry :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:01 pm

TT09 wrote:Anybody else find out their Section?

You still heading to STCL? I'm in A, too.

tex1010

New

Post by tex1010 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Part-time, Section D here.

Section (m) for LR&W I

tex1010

New

Post by tex1010 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Grad-Student,

Any info on Prof. Bergin? Thanks in advance.

kbarry

New

Post by kbarry » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:55 pm

How long did it take after you accepted your seat to get your "official notificiation" email? Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:14 pm

tex1010 wrote:Grad-Student,

I've heard rumors that she can be a bit of a feminist in the classroom and rail the guys. I know that she went on sabbatical right after my first semester. I don't know if it was tied to the penis incident thought.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Grad_Student wrote:

I've heard rumors that she can be a bit of a feminist in the classroom and rail the guys. I know that she went on sabbatical right after my first semester. I don't know if it was tied to the penis incident thought.
Penis incident? Do share.

aham2005

New

Post by aham2005 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:10 pm

RENT $600
I have a room for a Town home that will be available on August 1st 2011. The Town home is 13 minutes from the University of Houston Law Center and 15 minuted from South Texas School of Law . It is located on 610 & Stella Link. The Town Home has 2bedrooms/2 bath. It has a kitchen, dinning room,washer and dryer a garage and a small backyard. The town home is in a gated area full of other town homes. The landlord for the Town home will be responsible for maintenance. It is just like living in a apartment. I will be going to LSU Law School so who ever wants to start the 12 month lease in August should send a message. The other room is vacant and has a separate lease. You will not be responsible for paying for the other room if you happen to live by yourself. I only pay $600 for a 3 story town home with 2 bedrooms and I'm by myself. So I'm lucky.

Go to this link to view the photo
http://www.homes.com/listing/133528765/ ... N_TX_77025

http://www.homes.com/listing/138117207/ ... N_TX_77025

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:44 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:

Penis incident? Do share.
There were two separate penis incidents. The spring semester before I started someone drew a penis on her door dry erase board...childish yes. The point was to ruffle her feathers and it did. In fact, there was a youtube audio floating around with her yelling about it....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_13ycAGeOA , yup here it is.

Then my fall semester, some one volunteered to do recite a case and they asked to go to the board. She was very excited and let him go up there. As he was reciting, he started drawing a massive penis on the board. She became very flustered, left the room, came back and asked him to leave.

Fast forward 3 years, I think this fall semester is her first semester back teaching since that incident.

I just want to note that this was the class before me and since that time there have been ZERO incidents. I'm not sure what happened between this group of guys and Bergin but it was some type of gamesmanship going on.

Edit: Looks like the first incident wasn't drawing penis' but rather "kill all the babies" poster.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”