Boston College Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jpSartre

Bronze

Re: Boston College Applicants Thread

Post by jpSartre » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm

I got 20,500 in loans. woo?

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 pm

monnguse757 wrote:I was accepted March 23rd, got my agora info last Thursday 4/7, and my financial aid information was posted this morning. For those of you who mentioned william and mary, my offer from BC was marginally better than my offer from W&M.
I hope this holds true for me as well

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks for the info about updated AGORA stuff today!

I was given $22,000 in scholarship, the max in Stafford, $800 a year in work study :?:, $4,000 a year in Perkins loans, and $5,000 a year in loans from the school. I've heard the mantra to diversify and not put all your eggs in one basket, but this took me by surprise. :o

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:02 pm

zonto wrote:Thanks for the info about updated AGORA stuff today!

I was given $22,000 in scholarship, the max in Stafford, $800 a year in work study :?:, $4,000 a year in Perkins loans, and $5,000 a year in loans from the school. I've heard the mantra to diversify and not put all your eggs in one basket, but this took me by surprise. :o
work study?

maglialoro

Bronze

Post by maglialoro » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Seriously. It's probably answering phone calls for a couple of the admissions staff during their lunch break or something...

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:40 am

How do you get this work study opportunity? I wouldn't mind doing various administrative things for a little pocket change

davidbowie

New

Post by davidbowie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:13 am

It looks like BC made its decision late this afternoon. Even though my current status still reads "your application is being reviewed", the message at the top has changed to the following:

"A decision has been rendered on your application to Boston College Law School by the Admissions Committee. A decision letter will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service within 3-5 days from the Decision Status Date and will be sent to your current address."

I'm really hoping this is the standard response and not just BC's way of saying, "don't even bother to check gmail".

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:57 am

tttlllsss wrote:How do you get this work study opportunity? I wouldn't mind doing various administrative things for a little pocket change
No idea honestly. Just showed up in my AGORA financial aid package when I checked today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:35 am

zonto wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:How do you get this work study opportunity? I wouldn't mind doing various administrative things for a little pocket change
No idea honestly. Just showed up in my AGORA financial aid package when I checked today.
Do you think it's need based aid? I think Perkins is only given out on a need by need basis, so I'm wondering if that's how you got work study as well.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:48 am

RPK34 wrote:
zonto wrote:
Do you think it's need based aid? I think Perkins is only given out on a need by need basis, so I'm wondering if that's how you got work study as well.
I had work study in UG and I am pretty sure it is need-based and determined based on your FAFSA.

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Work Study is need based. I have it as well, and I talked to financial aid about it at the open house. There are apparently lots of jobs on campus that require work study eligible students, including the research assistant positions. You can choose to do the work study or not, but if you don't then you don't do the work hours you don't get paid--as in you get paid hourly for whatever work you do.

Hope that response made sense. I don't think you can apply specifically for work study, its just offered based on need. I feel happy to have it for sure.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Works (pun intended) for me. I'll take some research work (again)!

Here's to hoping for a deposit extension...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:45 pm

The deposit deadline for a school that (for me) is a distant second to BC is coming up pretty soon. Should I, as politely as possible, ask them to hurry up with info about merit aid? I was accepted nearly two weeks ago to BC, and of the schools I was admitted to, it is my top choice.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:48 pm

mettasutta wrote:The deposit deadline for a school that (for me) is a distant second to BC is coming up pretty soon. Should I, as politely as possible, ask them to hurry up with info about merit aid? I was accepted nearly two weeks ago to BC, and of the schools I was admitted to, it is my top choice.
Yes. Call the admissions office. I wrote an e-mail on a Monday and still hadn't heard back from them by next Wednesday. I called the admissions office and had an e-mail back on Thursday with scholarship information. One of the things they asked me was if I had deposit dates coming up.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:10 am

W&M eh metta? :wink:

I emailed my "financial aid consultant" today about an extension and such, but I think I will call in tomorrow and just touch base with her since BC doesn't say the deposit is due on the 15th instead of just being postmarked by the 15th.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 am

zonto wrote:W&M eh metta? :wink:

I emailed my "financial aid consultant" today about an extension and such, but I think I will call in tomorrow and just touch base with her since BC doesn't say the deposit is due on the 15th instead of just being postmarked by the 15th.
Haha, no actually I was referring to ND's deadline (April 20).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 am

got my scholarship award today however it is conditional until I get all my forms in that they need I guess.. I'm worried that I'll deposit and then they'll change the award.. does this happen ever? all my fafsa and needaccess info is correct

Edit: also what the hell do I send in? im totally lost with all of this.. best to just call the advisor they give?

highhopes2011

New

Post by highhopes2011 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:47 am

Anyone DR today? Is it a rule of thumb if you don't get your acceptance email within 48 hours from DR that you are either WL/dinged?

Any help would be great

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:52 am

highhopes2011 wrote:Anyone DR today? Is it a rule of thumb if you don't get your acceptance email within 48 hours from DR that you are either WL/dinged?

Any help would be great
That seems to be the pattern, the longest I have heard of people waiting is over a weekend.

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:08 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:got my scholarship award today however it is conditional until I get all my forms in that they need I guess.. I'm worried that I'll deposit and then they'll change the award.. does this happen ever? all my fafsa and needaccess info is correct

Edit: also what the hell do I send in? im totally lost with all of this.. best to just call the advisor they give?

As far as I know, and I've talked to the financial aid people at BC a few times, its just conditional until you make your second deposit. They don't change the award, just its not final till your farther along in the process.
The other documents are not required until after the second deposit, and they will contact you with what you need to send in. I think its verification stuff--like tax returns etc.

Hope that helps!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:45 pm

ldboston wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:got my scholarship award today however it is conditional until I get all my forms in that they need I guess.. I'm worried that I'll deposit and then they'll change the award.. does this happen ever? all my fafsa and needaccess info is correct

As far as I know, and I've talked to the financial aid people at BC a few times, its just conditional until you make your second deposit. They don't change the award, just its not final till your farther along in the process.
The other documents are not required until after the second deposit, and they will contact you with what you need to send in. I think its verification stuff--like tax returns etc.

Hope that helps!
phewww thanks that does help a lot.. and second question.. i was pretty surprised at the amount I got but couldnt find anywhere that it specifically stated that the award was good for all three years (could only find 2011-2012) and I don't want to send in my deposit until I know that I have it for three years.. any info on this would help

maglialoro

Bronze

Post by maglialoro » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cassidylane

Bronze

Post by cassidylane » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm

So if there is no merit scholarship on agora with your financial aid, does this mean you are not being offered one? I'm assuming that must be the case with the deposit deadline tomorrow, but I really thought that my numbers were good enough to get one. hmm oh well.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:07 pm

maglialoro wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
phewww thanks that does help a lot.. and second question.. i was pretty surprised at the amount I got but couldnt find anywhere that it specifically stated that the award was good for all three years (could only find 2011-2012) and I don't want to send in my deposit until I know that I have it for three years.. any info on this would help
if its need based, you usually have to reapply every year for it when you refile your FAFSA and such. For merit aid, they sent a email to me stating that the award was for all 3 yrs.
mehh.. i dunno how to tell.. i have the $20,500 in subsidized and unsubsidized.. 5k perkins.. 3k law school loan.. and a 28k "law scholarship" that doesnt distinguish between merit and need... lets hope i get an email sometime today then

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”