Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
singingkris

Bronze

Re: Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014

Post by singingkris » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:01 pm

brangara wrote:Withdrew. Hope someone gets my 20K per year!
Good Luck :)!!

aas911

New

Post by aas911 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Has anyone asked what percentage of the class receives merit based scholarships with the top 25% stipulation?

The scholarship many of us have received seems excellent in comparison to other schools. But, I'm curious if they load us up first year knowing its not even possible for a lot of the students to keep the scholarship in the following years.

tennissanta

New

Post by tennissanta » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:34 pm

aas911 wrote:Has anyone asked what percentage of the class receives merit based scholarships with the top 25% stipulation?

The scholarship many of us have received seems excellent in comparison to other schools. But, I'm curious if they load us up first year knowing its not even possible for a lot of the students to keep the scholarship in the following years.
Exactly my thoughts too

maggie2113

New

Post by maggie2113 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:52 pm

After being deferred about three weeks ago I found out today that I was admitted! I am both relieved and excited to have this waiting process over.

TurkeyDay

New

Post by TurkeyDay » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Hey! Is anyone going to the Dean's Program on Saturday?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:22 pm

maggie2113 wrote:After being deferred about three weeks ago I found out today that I was admitted! I am both relieved and excited to have this waiting process over.
Super Congrats!!

tennissanta

New

Post by tennissanta » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 pm

TurkeyDay wrote:Hey! Is anyone going to the Dean's Program on Saturday?
Yeah, I'm going. I live in Chicago, so PM me if you have any special questions about parking, hotels, public transit, etc. Or just put it on here so everyone can see if it's not sensitive.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:52 pm

TurkeyDay wrote:Hey! Is anyone going to the Dean's Program on Saturday?
I am. :D

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 am

maggie2113 wrote:After being deferred about three weeks ago I found out today that I was admitted! I am both relieved and excited to have this waiting process over.
Congrats!! For the full time division? Would you mind PMing me your numbers?? Thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Johnny5959

New

Post by Johnny5959 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:15 am

brangara wrote:Withdrew. Hope someone gets my 20K per year!

+1: Best of Luck Everyone!

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 am

i'm probably gonna withdraw today as well, I had gotten off the WL (defer) a week or so ago and their 20k was generous and all but I think I might have to choose a better ranked school =\ good luck to those who were deferred!

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:01 pm

just withdrew....but still love the school.

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Sun May 01, 2011 10:23 am

Not sure how many of you saw this, but it's definitely worth a read and Chicago-Kent is mentioned: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... wanted=all

Also, I just withdrew this morning. They gave me $9,000 scholarship and $5,000 first year grant which is not nearly as good as my other offer, especially because Kent's tuition is $3,000 more than Loyola's. Best of luck to you all at Kent!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Sun May 01, 2011 10:58 am

emmac wrote:Not sure how many of you saw this, but it's definitely worth a read and Chicago-Kent is mentioned: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... wanted=all

Also, I just withdrew this morning. They gave me $9,000 scholarship and $5,000 first year grant which is not nearly as good as my other offer, especially because Kent's tuition is $3,000 more than Loyola's. Best of luck to you all at Kent!
best of luck to you.

as to that story, I have to say that the girl they spotlighted, Alexandra Leumer, sounded like she didn't give her financial options much consideration. She didn't think a 3.0 would be a challenge? Sounds like she didn't understand how law school is different from undergrad and never did any research on what % of students at that school got the required GPA. Not to say that the problem of schools tempting 0Ls with big bucks up front is non-existent, but it can easily be understood by doing some basic research. I mean, both Kent and Loyola said flatout in their scholarship letters what % of students got the stipulated GPAs. Its the student's fault for assuming they will be in that %.

For Kent, you need a 3.25 to maintain the full amount. A LOT of kids are taking the mindset of "oh I'll just work hard and meet that" which is dangerous. I mean the school curves to make sure only ~25% meets it. So let's not read that article and wring our hands in worry, we have all been considering these options for a long time and most of us have researched the options thoroughly. I mean if I only got the full amount at Kent the first year and then lost it entirely (knocks on wood), I will still come out of Kent cheaper than if I got my scholarship at Loyola all three years (and MUCH cheaper than any other school I've been accepted to).

That article, if my parents read it or some other non-law student, they would be worried but this is the reality that most TLSers have been dealing with for months or even years.

sorry for the long semi rant but articles like that bother me.

PS: Let's give Kent some credit here. They have given most of us two different options, one of which doesn't depend on GPA at all. It is only our own fault if we lose the scholarship option we chose. But let's be honest, we are all law students assuming we are going to be #1 at Kent.

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Sun May 01, 2011 11:41 am

aknecht wrote:
emmac wrote:Not sure how many of you saw this, but it's definitely worth a read and Chicago-Kent is mentioned: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... wanted=all

best of luck to you.

as to that story, I have to say that the girl they spotlighted, Alexandra Leumer, sounded like she didn't give her financial options much consideration. She didn't think a 3.0 would be a challenge? Sounds like she didn't understand how law school is different from undergrad and never did any research on what % of students at that school got the required GPA. Not to say that the problem of schools tempting 0Ls with big bucks up front is non-existent, but it can easily be understood by doing some basic research. I mean, both Kent and Loyola said flatout in their scholarship letters what % of students got the stipulated GPAs. Its the student's fault for assuming they will be in that %.

For Kent, you need a 3.25 to maintain the full amount. A LOT of kids are taking the mindset of "oh I'll just work hard and meet that" which is dangerous. I mean the school curves to make sure only ~25% meets it. So let's not read that article and wring our hands in worry, we have all been considering these options for a long time and most of us have researched the options thoroughly. I mean if I only got the full amount at Kent the first year and then lost it entirely (knocks on wood), I will still come out of Kent cheaper than if I got my scholarship at Loyola all three years (and MUCH cheaper than any other school I've been accepted to).

That article, if my parents read it or some other non-law student, they would be worried but this is the reality that most TLSers have been dealing with for months or even years.

sorry for the long semi rant but articles like that bother me.

PS: Let's give Kent some credit here. They have given most of us two different options, one of which doesn't depend on GPA at all. It is only our own fault if we lose the scholarship option we chose. But let's be honest, we are all law students assuming we are going to be #1 at Kent.
I agree, though it's not necessarily criticizing Kent (or Loyola) for how they do things. It is criticizing the schools that don't inform students as to how many keep their merit scholarships and for not informing students about everything (though that onus should certainly be on the student, it needs to be available to them surely). I was surprised to know that 90% at Kent go with the risky option anyway, despite being informed that many of them won't keep it. And in all honesty, if you're going to a school with a 30% bar passage rate, like this Alexandra, you haven't done your diligence anyway.
Last edited by emmac on Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 am

Anyone deferred for the part time program hear any news yet?? Anxiously waiting!!

sterl1002

New

Post by sterl1002 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Anyone still waiting for a initial decision? I've been under review since 3/17, never even went to "final review".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

phannahan44

New

Post by phannahan44 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:41 am

sterl1002 wrote:Anyone still waiting for a initial decision? I've been under review since 3/17, never even went to "final review".
+1 -- still unsure as to whether that's a good sign or not?? Growing very frustrated with Kent.

christinem20

New

Post by christinem20 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:13 am

Deferred full time....still nothing. I'm getting worried!

euclid203

New

Post by euclid203 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Is any one still in "final review". I have been in final review since April 12. They said it should take 1-2 to reach final decision, but it is now my third week. I am getting worried now. Sent a loci last week....but I don't understand what is taking so long. If they are going to reject me, reject me now so I don't have to impatiently wait anymore. Though I hope I get accepted ( of course)....

sterl1002

New

Post by sterl1002 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:49 pm

euclid203 wrote:Is any one still in "final review". I have been in final review since April 12. They said it should take 1-2 to reach final decision, but it is now my third week. I am getting worried now. Sent a loci last week....but I don't understand what is taking so long. If they are going to reject me, reject me now so I don't have to impatiently wait anymore. Though I hope I get accepted ( of course)....
I feel the same way! I waited months for Pittsburgh only to get dinged, it really pissed me off. I've effectively given up on this cycle and I'm planning to retake, but I still want to KNOWWW!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Thu May 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Kent sent me an email today offering me a chance to apply with the possibility of a 25k scholly (renewable) because I "fit their profile". Should I assume this is just a mass emailing? Or is it actually a shot?

I already committed to Loyola with a much lower offer. Should I take this seriously? Ahhhh.

Chicago schools are confusing this cycle.

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Thu May 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Oh. And I hadn't previously applied to Kent. It was just random.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Thu May 05, 2011 7:55 pm

StacyStrong wrote:Oh. And I hadn't previously applied to Kent. It was just random.
wait so you did NOT apply to Kent and they emailed you saying "you're in and here's some money"?

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Thu May 05, 2011 8:01 pm

aknecht wrote:
StacyStrong wrote:Oh. And I hadn't previously applied to Kent. It was just random.
wait so you did NOT apply to Kent and they emailed you saying "you're in and here's some money"?
No. They said " we wanted to let you know about a special scholarship opportunity for candidates who are interested in admission to the Fall 2011 entering class. Our dean has made a limited number of $25,000 renewable scholarships available for candidates with strong credentials who are admitted to this fall's class, and we believe that your profile meets those criteria. I realize that this offer is reaching you later in the admissions cycle and you may already be satisfied with your law school plans. If this offer is of interest, however, I encourage you to submit your application no later than Monday, May 16, 2011"

Which is why I'm wondering if it's just a mass emailing or if they actually want me and it's likely I'll get in. Especially since it's SO late.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”