Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawyeriA

New

Re: Chicago Kent - Prospective Class of 2014

Post by lawyeriA » Sat May 21, 2011 4:32 pm

StacyStrong wrote:To keep the full thing, I think 30% of the students meet the requirement. And I think about 50% meet the requirement for half.

It's on their website though, so I'd double check.

I know it says what I need to get to retain it, but that doesn't help if they give 80% of the school the same stipulation. I want some what of an idea of how many people I am competing against who got the same exact scholarship type, or how many people keep/lose their scholarship.

aas911

New

Post by aas911 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:04 pm

In regards to the 3.250 cum GPA scholarship renewal requirement, all of our renewable merit awards have the same GPA requirement. As for the percentage of students who are eligible to renew 100% of their scholarship amount, that number varies from year to year, but on average, 60% of students are renewing at 100% their award amount each year. In addition, for students who do not meet the 3.250 cum GPA requirement, but maintain at least a 3.000 cum GPA, they are eligible to renew 50% of their award amount.
This is from a reply to an email a friend of mine sent to the school.

ocbrody

New

Post by ocbrody » Tue May 24, 2011 3:34 am

aas911 wrote:
In regards to the 3.250 cum GPA scholarship renewal requirement, all of our renewable merit awards have the same GPA requirement. As for the percentage of students who are eligible to renew 100% of their scholarship amount, that number varies from year to year, but on average, 60% of students are renewing at 100% their award amount each year. In addition, for students who do not meet the 3.250 cum GPA requirement, but maintain at least a 3.000 cum GPA, they are eligible to renew 50% of their award amount.
This is from a reply to an email a friend of mine sent to the school.
This is completely different from what is in print on my scholarship acceptance form. It says "Although the exact percentage varies from year to year, typically about 25% to 30% of the class attains a 3.250, and slightly more than 50% of the class attains a 3.000."

Maybe this is including the portion of the class that takes the scholarship option with no GPA requirement?

But that wasn't the question, which is what is the percentage of the class that has a scholarship? And, by extension, how cut-throat is the 2011 1L class going to be when everyone realizes that they're competing against each other to keep these generous scholarships?
Last edited by ocbrody on Tue May 24, 2011 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

aas911

New

Post by aas911 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 pm

Maybe I'm missing something (and please tell me if I am). But I interpret the information I posted to say, "Of the people that receive scholarships, 60% keep the full amount and the rest who didn't renew the full amount are able to renew 50% of their scholarship if they receive higher then a 3.0 GPA."

I think you may be able to find what percentage of the class receives a scholarship on the school's website. However, I'm not sure the answer to that will be sufficient for how "cut-throat" the class will be.

My whole take on it is that its a "screwed up" situation for those of us entering with scholarships. But, its the same with most other scholarships I received and atleast Chi-Kent is honest about it. Also, if you're that risk adverse you can take the guaranteed amount.

TurkeyDay

New

Post by TurkeyDay » Wed May 25, 2011 9:26 am

When is the next deposit due?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Wed May 25, 2011 1:21 pm

How many of you are taking the guaranteed vs. the stipulated scholarship?

I'm having a hard time deciding.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Thu May 26, 2011 2:26 pm

StacyStrong wrote:How many of you are taking the guaranteed vs. the stipulated scholarship?

I am having a tough time too. When do we have to make the call by? I'm feeling pretty saucy and leaning towards the full amount right now.

netkorea06

New

Post by netkorea06 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Hey guys,

I am juggling between DePaul and Kent. Depaul is giving me $8000 more scholarship than Kent.. It's really tricky.. Where should I go?

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 pm

aknecht wrote:
StacyStrong wrote:How many of you are taking the guaranteed vs. the stipulated scholarship?

I am having a tough time too. When do we have to make the call by? I'm feeling pretty saucy and leaning towards the full amount right now.
I've looked at it over and over and haven't seen a date.

I really want to go for the full amount because i FEEL like I could at LEAST keep a 3.0 but, who knows really? It's almost like...if I can't stay in the top half of the class at LEAST, is it really worth going to law school?

But at the same time, it's SO risky to potentially lose 20k because I think I could stay in the top half.

Ahhhhhh, let me know what you end up deciding. I feel like we are in the same boat with a lot of things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Thu May 26, 2011 5:02 pm

netkorea06 wrote:Hey guys,

I am juggling between DePaul and Kent. Depaul is giving me $8000 more scholarship than Kent.. It's really tricky.. Where should I go?
kent

tennissanta

New

Post by tennissanta » Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Kent

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Thu May 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Kent

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Fri May 27, 2011 8:25 am

you should visit both because, once you do, you will wonder why you ever even asked this question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Fri May 27, 2011 8:50 am

StacyStrong wrote:
aknecht wrote:

I've looked at it over and over and haven't seen a date.

I really want to go for the full amount because i FEEL like I could at LEAST keep a 3.0 but, who knows really? It's almost like...if I can't stay in the top half of the class at LEAST, is it really worth going to law school?

But at the same time, it's SO risky to potentially lose 20k because I think I could stay in the top half.

Ahhhhhh, let me know what you end up deciding. I feel like we are in the same boat with a lot of things.
here is my only issue. If this were undergrad, I would take the full amount in a heart beat because undergrad is half full of kids that went there to drink and "slay bitches". Law school is a different game and I have no idea how I'll perform. It's full of people that REALLY need to do well for a job, scholarship money, or both.

I ran the numbers for three scenarios: (1) full scholarship ($25k) all three years plus the 10k grant the first year, (2) taking the guaranteed $15k/year and the first year 10k grant, and (3) $25k scholarship first year and the 10k grant and then full tuition for the next two years. The cost of just tuition worked out to $40,010, $79,010, and $90,010 respectively. Not that you need the math done for you but the $39,000 difference between the chance of getting the full amount all three years and the guaranteed money is enough to chance it in my mind. The difference between scenario 2 and 3 above is only $11,000 which is not enough of an incentive to take the guaranteed money (but that is a personal decision).

I hope you all are doing similar math when deciding, it makes it a pretty easy choice in the end. In fact, I just answered the question for myself in the writing of this post :D

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Fri May 27, 2011 4:19 pm

My only issue is that I'm not getting the 10k grant (I applied VERY late-in May). So, it's slightly different for me.

However, I think I might chance it too. Who knows...I may change my mind again.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Doesn't Kent give you half the amount if you fall below 3.0? So you'll get $12,500 ?

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Fri May 27, 2011 5:25 pm

no, it's if you fall between 3.0-3.25

if you fall below a 3.0 you get nothing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Oh...What a tough choice. I think I'd take the guaranteed amount. Or ask for the guaranteed amount to be $20k.

If you do bad first year, you are looking at 40k (2nd) and (3rd) year....PLUS Chicago living expenses. No, ma'm. If you do well first year, you can apply to scholarships at the school/outside.

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Fri May 27, 2011 5:39 pm

well, for me personally..

I'm from Chicago and I decided to move back into my parents basement (:\ !!) during law school. So, I won't have to pay rent/pretty much all my food is paid for, internet, cable, etc. So that is pretty much all cut out for me. Obviously I'll have SOME COL but it will be GREATLY reduced.

But, that's exactly why it's such a dilemma for me. That's a huge difference in money.

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Fri May 27, 2011 5:44 pm

I feel like I took over this thread. My bad. I'll shut up now.

miazdc

New

Post by miazdc » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:59 am

Sorry to derail this thread, but:

I'll be a 1L at Loyola this fall, and I'm looking for a roommate (or roommates?). I've heard too much about law school classes being like high school, and thus I'd rather not live with a fellow-Loyolan. If anyone is interested in looking for apartments together, PM me.

Basic stats:
-23 yr old female
-looking for a place on the red line (or possible brown), don't want to go too far north (nothing past lakeview-ish?)
-low cost is the most important (<650 hopefully?)
-I'm open about pretty much everything else

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ravkhinda

New

Post by ravkhinda » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:04 am

I just logged into the status checker and my status was deferred. I was asked to fill out a form if I still wanted to be considered for a seat. is this similar to a waitlist?

CortninO

New

Post by CortninO » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Yeah, deferred is the same as waitlist.

For housing, I'm gonna be living in Dearborn Plaza starting August 1st. It's itty bitty tiny, but it is in the Gold Coast w/ gorgeous views and near transit. I love the area, and it's one of the cheapest places in the Gold Coast (due to it being the size of a bedroom, lol) but also has great reviews online. At least I know the area's safe w/ things to do... I am nervous though. Hope it works out..

Anyone do the summer reading yet?

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:48 am

well I officially made my second deposit with Kent today! I had been holding out hope that Loyola would adjust their scholarship offer to be even in the ballpark of Kent's. I am more than excited to attend Kent for the price they are offering me though!

expressway

New

Post by expressway » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Got a "fill out a continued interest survey" email today.
I am writing to update you on the status of your application for admission to Chicago-Kent College of Law. As you know, your application is currently deferred and is under ongoing review by the Admissions Committee.

At present, it appears that the entering class is full for this fall. However, we may have some openings over the summer and the Admissions Committee will continue to review deferred applications as seats become available in the Fall 2011 class. The Admissions Committee will be making final decisions on deferred applications between now and the start of classes in August as we get a better sense of the available seats in the entering class.
Nope, I'm done. I've got two deposits and an apartment elsewhere, and I'm not waiting around any longer. Good luck guys!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”