Howard 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AyePrice

New

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Post by AyePrice » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:23 pm

TIMEATELL wrote:In at HUSL as of 3/4. This is my first acceptance so I'm definitely leaning toward Howard . On the flip, the first seat deposit ($500) is due April 1st and I have yet to hear from 12 other schools :shock: . No pressure..

TIME

Same here....I haven't heard from the other 2 of my top 3. April 1st is not enough time.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:55 pm

I love that on top of the actual seat deposit, they require a random "enrollment" fee... gotta love HBCUs. :lol:

Nmatthe

New

Post by Nmatthe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:05 pm

kk19131 wrote:I love that on top of the actual seat deposit, they require a random "enrollment" fee... gotta love HBCUs. :lol:
Yeah $500.00 big ones due by April 1st that less than two weeks away.

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 am

you can ask for an extension .... if you can get ahold of someone in admissions

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:40 am

pixytree wrote:you can ask for an extension .... if you can get ahold of someone in admissions
Is that a question or a statement?

And, do you go to Howard? You seem to push it a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:26 pm

kk19131 wrote:
pixytree wrote:you can ask for an extension .... if you can get ahold of someone in admissions

Statement lol Just offering some advice from my own cycle--which is coming to an end, thank God. And includes HU. I don't go to Howard...and I haven't been pushing it (at least I think didn't I was). Just point it out as a viable option from time to time--it gets overlooked.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:32 pm

pixytree wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

Statement lol Just offering some advice from my own cycle--which is coming to an end, thank God. And includes HU. I don't go to Howard...and I haven't been pushing it (at least I think didn't I was). Just point it out as a viable option from time to time--it gets overlooked.

Do you plan to go there?

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:57 am

kk19131 wrote:
pixytree wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

Do you plan to go there?
It's still on my short list, but so are a far a few T10 with far better programs in the area I want to go into. But a full ride+ at Howard is hard to pass up.

adbabe

New

Post by adbabe » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Last edited by adbabe on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AyePrice

New

Post by AyePrice » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:15 pm

adbabe wrote:anyone receive financial aid info yet? i frequent the financial aid section and they JUST updated for the 2011-2012 year and it said that the application is due by March 15! anyone have more info on this?!

Same here. I printed and mailed mine immediately b/c I was so confused by the date. I haven't heard anything back yet but I'll be sure to post when I do.

Nmatthe

New

Post by Nmatthe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:15 am

AyePrice wrote:
adbabe wrote:anyone receive financial aid info yet? i frequent the financial aid section and they JUST updated for the 2011-2012 year and it said that the application is due by March 15! anyone have more info on this?!

Same here. I printed and mailed mine immediately b/c I was so confused by the date. I haven't heard anything back yet but I'll be sure to post when I do.
Is there a separate form for financial aid? Outside of filling out your fasfa and listing Howard as a recipient of your fasfa information? Are you referring to the Merit Scholarship Policy form?

adbabe

New

Post by adbabe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 am

Nmatthe wrote:
AyePrice wrote:

Is there a separate form for financial aid? Outside of filling out your fasfa and listing Howard as a recipient of your fasfa information? Are you referring to the Merit Scholarship Policy form?
yes, there is a separate form that you need to fill out in order to get financial aid as stated in the fact sheet. It is separate from the merit scholarship information. they said they would send it out soon but i havent received it and i was admitted in january... but on the website under financial aid forms they finally updated the forms to 2011-2012 but they said the deadline is march 15 so...yea

Nmatthe

New

Post by Nmatthe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:11 am

adbabe wrote:
Nmatthe wrote:
AyePrice wrote:

yes, there is a separate form that you need to fill out in order to get financial aid as stated in the fact sheet. It is separate from the merit scholarship information. they said they would send it out soon but i havent received it and i was admitted in january... but on the website under financial aid forms they finally updated the forms to 2011-2012 but they said the deadline is march 15 so...yea
Wow, its not even mention in my facts sheet, however I do see it was due March 15th so I will be sending it off ASAP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TIMEATELL

New

Post by TIMEATELL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:27 am

Wow, its not even mention in my facts sheet, however I do see it was due March 15th so I will be sending it off ASAP.
Dang, I missed this as well.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 am

This school already seems like a nightmare... and I don't even go there yet!

AyePrice

New

Post by AyePrice » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:12 am

Yea everything seems so unorganized. Smh...let's hope they get it together. I emailed one of the financial aid office back on March 9th about when the application would be available and someone named James Norman said, "The HUSL Financial Aid Application will be available BY April 1, 2011 in the Law School Office and, also the HUSL website."

Nothing about it being due on the 15th and he responded on March 11th. So maybe that doesn't matter for first year students?? Trying to be optimistic.

adbabe

New

Post by adbabe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 pm

AyePrice wrote:
its was on the back very brief, but it doesnt say when it was due, just said that the financial aid office would be sending out more info "soon". when i called the financial aid office a couple weeks ago they said the information would be available until late march/april so HOPEFULLY the march 15th deadline was a typo?

but im sending mine out today as well

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sashicola

New

Post by Sashicola » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Has anyone gotten a living stipend from Howard? DC is looking expensive

Sashicola

New

Post by Sashicola » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:59 pm

AyePrice wrote:Yea everything seems so unorganized. Smh...let's hope they get it together. I emailed one of the financial aid office back on March 9th about when the application would be available and someone named James Norman said, "The HUSL Financial Aid Application will be available BY April 1, 2011 in the Law School Office and, also the HUSL website."

Nothing about it being due on the 15th and he responded on March 11th. So maybe that doesn't matter for first year students?? Trying to be optimistic.
I dont think it applies to first year students because what about the students that don't get accepted until April? They wont get need based aid?

AyePrice

New

Post by AyePrice » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Sashicola wrote:Has anyone gotten a living stipend from Howard? DC is looking expensive

I wish. There are a few places outside of the city in MD suburbs that are a little cheaper and you could always live with a roommate. I went to Univ of MD and have friends who live in the area.

Nmatthe

New

Post by Nmatthe » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:09 pm

adbabe wrote:
AyePrice wrote:
its was on the back very brief, but it doesnt say when it was due, just said that the financial aid office would be sending out more info "soon". when i called the financial aid office a couple weeks ago they said the information would be available until late march/april so HOPEFULLY the march 15th deadline was a typo?

but im sending mine out today as well
I spoke with Financial Aid department today and they informed me that the app is available online and to get it in as soon as possible, that was basically it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nmatthe

New

Post by Nmatthe » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:21 pm

AyePrice wrote:
Sashicola wrote:Has anyone gotten a living stipend from Howard? DC is looking expensive

I wish. There are a few places outside of the city in MD suburbs that are a little cheaper and you could always live with a roommate. I went to Univ of MD and have friends who live in the area.
Georgetown University has some very useful resources for housing on the resident life page in the link below through out the DC MD and VA area. Unfortunately Howard doesn't have any type of roommate finder so your on your own there, I will be looking for a roommate or two soon its much more reasonable financially that way.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/reslife/

kimmym

New

Post by kimmym » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 am

:// its not lookin too good for me! havent heard anything back at all.

ladylegale

New

Post by ladylegale » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:24 am

Has Anyone created a Facebook page yet?

IVW685

New

Post by IVW685 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Howard was, admittedly, a last minute decision for me, but I am really interested in going there for both personal and academic reasons... I just received my "complete" email today from an application sent in a little over a month ago. Here's to the 8 week countdown...

and since I just read about that Financial Aid application, I'll overnight that tomorrow.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”