Tennessee 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mrwarre85

Silver

Re: Tennessee 2011

Post by mrwarre85 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:06 pm

toochthemooch wrote:
enida10 wrote:Rent is $765 plus a flat utilites rate of $45. So I already had that figured into the rent by my calculations. So it ends up about $810.

It's in the brochure I got. And the contract I signed. It was UTK property before some guy from NY bought the building and renovated it. So, it has some sort of central water heating system that pumps water and warms the place with it.

I don't know the name of the type of system it is, but hey, can't beat $45 for electricity and water.
That's unreal... $810 per month fully furnished and within walking distance... sending in the lease app now haha
Yeah I have the same reaction. I feel bolstered by your opinion.

This may top the on campus furnished dealio I learned about at ASD. I think that included food though.. I do like the idea of not preparing any meals for a year.

toochthemooch

New

Post by toochthemooch » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:07 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
toochthemooch wrote:
enida10 wrote:Rent is $765 plus a flat utilites rate of $45. So I already had that figured into the rent by my calculations. So it ends up about $810.

It's in the brochure I got. And the contract I signed. It was UTK property before some guy from NY bought the building and renovated it. So, it has some sort of central water heating system that pumps water and warms the place with it.

I don't know the name of the type of system it is, but hey, can't beat $45 for electricity and water.
That's unreal... $810 per month fully furnished and within walking distance... sending in the lease app now haha

This may top the on campus furnished dealio I learned about at ASD. I think that included food though.. I do like the idea of not preparing any meals for a year.
Side note to that though... I'm kind of weary of roommates... but i might try the roommate matching thing... that would drop the cost to 605 per month....

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:10 pm

toochthemooch wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
toochthemooch wrote:

Side note to that though... I'm kind of weary of roommates... but i might try the roommate matching thing... that would drop the cost to 605 per month....
I wonder how that would work. Like E-Harmony for strait dudes. There must be someway they match people up. I wouldn't want to be with a 19 yr old brah who was mad at his dad.

toochthemooch

New

Post by toochthemooch » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:16 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
toochthemooch wrote:
I wonder how that would work. Like E-Harmony for strait dudes. There must be someway they match people up. I wouldn't want to be with a 19 yr old brah who was mad at his dad.
LOL... thanks for the good laugh... but yeah... that would be absolutely terrible... i hope they would match up grad students with grad students or something like that... but i will need to be able to study in my apartment(there's a sign that says no tobacco in the library... even though the schools in tennessee... weird)... and that may not be possible "with a 19 year old brah who was mad at his dad" as my roommate haha

enida10

New

Post by enida10 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:21 pm

I looked at the roommate match sheet. You rank importance of living with a similar student, someone clean, someone loud, someone who gets up early, etc. Then you can list your stats about smoking and drinking and that buisness. I understand wariness of roommates. I asked the landlady if I could sign up for a one bedroom and then switch to a 2 if she found me a grad roomie. She said it wouldn't be a problem, even said I could meet the person before I decided to switch. But I just went ahead and signed up for a one BR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Spookyghost

Bronze

Post by Spookyghost » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:58 pm

I am seriously seriously considering the Tower now. I am stuck here for a little under a month, but when I get back home I can't imagine finding a deal better than the Tower's.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Yeah the tower seems like a great option. I agree. I feel good about having two different choices now, thanks to whoever originally posted this news of the tower.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Whoa ohh, just got the IN call from FSU. I'll have to at least go visit.

Still feel good about Knoxville. Thinking when the high of the phone call wears off I'll still feel good about me and UT.

applicant135

New

Post by applicant135 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Hey all, I will also be attending UTK in the fall, I was at ASD and looked at housing as well when I was there. I looked at a few places in West Knoxville and really liked them. Seemed to be a very good/safe area away from the commotion of undergrad (not that it isnt fun to go out every once in a while). Although it will be a little bit of a hassle to drive I hear they have a few parking garages that dont fill up till later in the day. I didnt look at the Tower at Morgan Hill but seems very nice from what everyone is saying. Also looked very nice from the outside. Congrats on FSU warre, I am waiting to hear from UF but will likely stay with UTK either way

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hmmhaa77

New

Post by hmmhaa77 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:36 am

The tower at morgan hill is not walking distance to the law school. That would be a pretty good hike. Also those apts are really small for the price in Knoxville. You can get about 200 more sq ft. and have your own washer and dryer for a lower price. Also you can get a 2 bedroom, 1000 sq ft for $745.

toochthemooch

New

Post by toochthemooch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:44 am

hmmhaa77 wrote:The tower at morgan hill is not walking distance to the law school. That would be a pretty good hike. Also those apts are really small for the price in Knoxville. You can get about 200 more sq ft. and have your own washer and dryer for a lower price. Also you can get a 2 bedroom, 1000 sq ft for $745.
To counter this, the distance between the building and the law school is .94 miles. Anything under a mile is easily walkable. But if you have a problem with this, you can get a bus pass cause the KAT runs close enough to it. I'm pretty sure it's small for its price due to location. Also, do you really need 200 more square feet? And the 1000 sq ft for $745... does that include utilities? And where is its location with respect to the law school(driving time)?

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:51 am

Agreed with poster above, the Tower is nice but it's a mile away and a really awkward walk (under the Alcoa Highway underpass, under the train tracks, etc.). If you're from south of here, you might not enjoy that in the winter or when it rains, but that's a risk you'll have to take walking from any location. FWIW, the people I know that live at the Tower drive to class, but it's definitely a preference thing.

Congrats on FSU, warre, I don't know why, but for a lot of people it comes down to UT or FSU. Good luck with your decision.

hmmhaa77

New

Post by hmmhaa77 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Yeah it would be like a 25 minute walk from the tower. Not exactly what I want to do when it is 15 degrees outside, but you all can live where you want. You can find places less than a 10 minute drive away. Just thought I would add my two cents.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:19 pm

hmmhaa77 wrote:Yeah it would be like a 25 minute walk from the tower. Not exactly what I want to do when it is 15 degrees outside, but you all can live where you want. You can find places less than a 10 minute drive away. Just thought I would add my two cents.
yeah I would ride the bus if I lived at the Tower. I think there is a stop very close to the grounds.

thinktankdonahue

New

Post by thinktankdonahue » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:09 pm

I was denied a spot at UT because they don't let anyone in who is on any kind of probation. My probation ends on September 1 and is for a diversion program for DUI. I think it's a really silly policy. 167 LSAT 3.06 UGPA

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:54 pm

thinktankdonahue wrote:I was denied a spot at UT because they don't let anyone in who is on any kind of probation. My probation ends on September 1 and is for a diversion program for DUI. I think it's a really silly policy. 167 LSAT 3.06 UGPA
That sucks. Good thing you have a good LSAT and can go to a lot of other good schools.

enida10

New

Post by enida10 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to let you know, The Tower offers a referral reward of $200 for residents who get other people to live there. If you do decide to live there, let me know and I'll give you my name. I would be more than happy to split the money 50/50.

I didn't say the place was perfect. Like I said, I struggled with the decision between it and 16th place (which is closer). I think the Towers is less geared to undergrads and will probably be quieter. Yeah, you could get a place that's bigger for cheaper, but it won't be as nice, you'll pay for utilities, and you'll deal with the undergrads. I know a lot of law students live on Paper Mill and West Hills to escape the Fort's party atmosphere. I think the Towers is a closer alternative.

Security at the towers is crazy good, which was important for me. Gym, new facilities, internet, cable included. For me, It was worth sacrificing 6 blocks. But it's really up to you to decide what you're looking for.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:59 pm

enida10 wrote:Hey, everyone. I just wanted to let you know, The Tower offers a referral reward of $200 for residents who get other people to live there. If you do decide to live there, let me know and I'll give you my name. I would be more than happy to split the money 50/50.

I didn't say the place was perfect. Like I said, I struggled with the decision between it and 16th place (which is closer). I think the Towers is less geared to undergrads and will probably be quieter. Yeah, you could get a place that's bigger for cheaper, but it won't be as nice, you'll pay for utilities, and you'll deal with the undergrads. I know a lot of law students live on Paper Mill and West Hills to escape the Fort's party atmosphere. I think the Towers is a closer alternative.

Security at the towers is crazy good, which was important for me. Gym, new facilities, internet, cable included. For me, It was worth sacrificing 6 blocks. But it's really up to you to decide what you're looking for.
They have decent kitchens in the rooms? Tell me of the Gym, if you'd like

enida10

New

Post by enida10 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:46 pm

You guys must think I work for this place, the way I promote it. ;)

This is going to sound like an exaggeration, but I think I'm being spoiled with the kitchens they provide. Granite countertops, faux hardwood floor, stainless steel appliances (dishwasher, fridge, gas stove, microwave). The cabinets are really pretty, too, I think. I'm don't know if they are real wood or not and I don't know if the sinks have a garbage disposal. Other than that, the only complaint I could think of is they are a little on the small small side.

The gym isn't a full blown T-Recs, like the university provides, but it does have a couple tred-mills, stationary bikes, weight machines, etc. I'm 98% sure it's open 24/7. The space is pretty open with lots of windows, not down in some basement. There's also at least one flat screen tv on the wall.

They provide spray tanning for $11, if you're into that.
ATM, tvs in the lobby with Wii, Playstation, and Xbox consoles (you have to bring your own games).
Big projection theater room you can bring your own movies/access their netflix and giant leather seats
Vending machines (snacks, soda, energy drinks), poker table, pool table, swimming pool
Computer lab with free printer (as long as you bring your own paper)
private study room, open lobby with tables and chair for studying (and an open kitchen)
laundry room with flat screens.

If you wanna see pictures of all this, then here's the website's gallery: http://www.toweratmorganhill.com/gallery/.

If you guys wanna know anything else about Knoxville housing, I visited the following places:
Sterchi's downtown, Paper Mill Square, Briar Ridge, Crowne at Campus Pointe, 16th Place, Maplehurst, BarClay House, Haas Haus properties, a Victorian House in the fort, an apt complex by Walmart and the Towers.

I also considered JFG Flats, Grand Forest, Woodmeade South, Knox Place, Kingston Pointe, and quite a few other places.
I've lived in the dorms (at Morrill Hall and knew people who lived in Volunteer Apartments) and Volunteer Studios.

I hear that if you live in South Knox, rent will be cheaper because they're closing the Henley Street Bridge for the next couple years. The downside is, they've closed the Henley Bridge and you'll have to drive through downtown everytime you want to get to UT.

The only place I can't recommend is Volunteer Studios. Rent is cheap, you can have a lease for as short or as long as you want, the utilities are included, but so are the cockroaches and the crazys. The refridgerator and stove top, however, are not included. While I was there, I had fire alarms pulled by fighting drunks at 3 am, a lady scream bloody murder when I got on the elevator, and quite a few random men come to my door to ask if I was single. Management sold my parking spot every game day. Maybe you'll get luckier than I did, and, it's true, all that happened in a single four month span in 2007 before I transfered schools, but I swore never again.
Last edited by enida10 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enida10

New

Post by enida10 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:57 pm

So ya'll know, the Towers website says internet and cable in the lobby. I called to make sure, and there is cable and an internet modem in every room. If you want to make it wireless, you'll have to bring your own router. She also said it's basic cable in the rooms. My boyfriend was hoping for HD channels. :lol: I think she said, though, you can tack that on for extra $. I don't even think I'll have time for basic cable...

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm deciding between the Tower and Volunteer Hall-- Graduate Townhomes. The Townhome is $$$ though and it only available in 2/1 not 2/2 or 1/1. Its been awhile since I shared a bathroom with a stranger, but I guess there are worse ways to get to know someone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

toochthemooch

New

Post by toochthemooch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:I'm deciding between the Tower and Volunteer Hall-- Graduate Townhomes. The Townhome is $$$ though and it only available in 2/1 not 2/2 or 1/1. Its been awhile since I shared a bathroom with a stranger, but I guess there are worse ways to get to know someone.
So no decision between UTK and FSU anymore?

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:18 pm

toochthemooch wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:I'm deciding between the Tower and Volunteer Hall-- Graduate Townhomes. The Townhome is $$$ though and it only available in 2/1 not 2/2 or 1/1. Its been awhile since I shared a bathroom with a stranger, but I guess there are worse ways to get to know someone.
So no decision between UTK and FSU anymore?
Leaning UTK still. I do think I'll have to visit FSU, though. I like that they seem to be less comfortable with their law school; I've heard that they believe they will be securely within the top tier in a few years. I know they spend a lot of time/energy on marketing themselves.

With UTK, should I stick with it, I'll choose between the Tower and the on campus local.

enida10

New

Post by enida10 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Those townhomes seem like a pretty sweet alternative. Closer for sure. Do you get food included with that big pricetag?

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:33 am

enida10 wrote:
Those townhomes seem like a pretty sweet alternative. Closer for sure. Do you get food included with that big pricetag?
With food it is 6k a semester. The food is actually cheap, the rent is 4,400.00 and from what I can tell the apartments are not as nice as the Tower. Still nice, but not as nice. I may see if I can do it only for the first semester.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”