Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pless

Silver

Re: Illinois Class of 2014 (With Dean Pless)

Post by Pless » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:24 pm

giantswin wrote:Dean Pless,

Is there a more detailed schedule available for this weekend's open house other than the event page here?

Thanks!
8:30 AM Registration Check-In and
Continental Breakfast

9:00 AM Welcome by Paul Pless '03,
Assistant Dean for Admissions
and Financial Aid

9:15 AM The Illinois Experience by
Virginia Vermillion '86,
Assistant Dean for Academic
Administration and Dean of Students

9:30 AM Break

9:45 AM Tours with Peer Advisors

10:30 AM Mock Class and Q & A with
Dean Bruce Smith

Noon Lunch with faculty, staff and students

1:15 PM Faculty Q & A Panel

1:45 PM Break

2:00 PM Careers in the Law

2:30 PM Student Q & A Panel

OPTIONAL SESSIONS
3:00 - 4:00 PM
Housing and Student
Organization Information,

3:30 - 4:00 PM
Financial Aid by
Paul Pless,

4:00 PM
Walking Tour to ARC
(meet in Pavilion)

7:00 PM
Evening out with students
and staff, Guido’s.

giantswin

New

Post by giantswin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:31 pm

Thank you!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:32 pm

giantswin wrote:.
QFThe Giants won the World Series!!!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 am

I have seen questions pop up from time to time about the February LSAT administration and how schools use this score. LSAC recently did a survey of schools and 150 participated. 95% of the schools accept the February LSAT and most of the schools that don't have application deadlines prior to the release of February scores. Of those schools that accept the score they use it in the following ways:

32% of schools indicated that applicants with February scores have the same chance for admission as all applicants
64% of schools use rolling admission so those with February scores are fully considered by vie for fewer seats
3% of schools use February scores primarily to admit applicants from the wait list
1% responded “other”

Hope that this is useful.
Paul

oldtimer

New

Post by oldtimer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:49 am

Dean Pless,

I noticed that my status changed to "in review" this morning and I was just curious as to what the typical turn around time has been for applicants in this cycle.
U of I is the primary decision I am waiting on before I start sending application withdrawal and/or offer acceptance letters.
I'm also curious if scholarship information is typically included with the admittance letter (obviously assuming admittance, of course) or if that information is sent at a later date.

Thanks,

Shannon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:51 am

oldtimer wrote: I noticed that my status changed to "in review" this morning and I was just curious as to what the typical turn around time has been for applicants in this cycle.
U of I is the primary decision I am waiting on before I start sending application withdrawal and/or offer acceptance letters.
I'm also curious if scholarship information is typically included with the admittance letter (obviously assuming admittance, of course) or if that information is sent at a later date.
In review means you're in the next batch of decisions, which is probably coming out Friday unless Pless has said otherwise. And yes, scholarship information is usually included in the decision email.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:10 pm

We have moved all remaining completed files into review today. Decisions will be out on these files on Friday, hopefully before 10 AM CDT. I will have an update out to everyone on the Wait List before the end of the day.
Paul

oldtimer

New

Post by oldtimer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Pless wrote:We have moved all remaining completed files into review today. Decisions will be out on these files on Friday, hopefully before 10 AM CDT. I will have an update out to everyone on the Wait List before the end of the day.
Paul
Thanks Dean!

Wow, if your interaction on this forum is any indicator of the type of faculty involvement and faculty/student communication that goes on up there in Champaign, it's no wonder U of I law has such an incredible reputation!
Fingers crossed... 8)
I will wait until Friday before proceeding with my acceptance responses.

Thanks again.

Shannon

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:30 am

Were the Waitlist updates sent yesterday? Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing/haven't overlooked anything. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:10 am

aliarrow wrote:Were the Waitlist updates sent yesterday? Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing/haven't overlooked anything. Thank you!
I did send one out yesterday. Email me directly if you have not received it.

ofthehouse

New

Post by ofthehouse » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Will these weeks decisions follow the regular timeline of denials being sent out on wednesday?

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm

ofthehouse wrote:Will these weeks decisions follow the regular timeline of denials being sent out on wednesday?
The regular timeline is Fridays, not Wednesdays. You'll hear Friday.

horn

New

Post by horn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi Dean Pless,

At the admitted students day last week it was mentioned that law students would be able to take classes outside of the law school. I think Dean Smith said that students would be able to take foreign language classes and business classes. Are there any restrictions or additional costs?

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 pm

horn wrote:Hi Dean Pless,

At the admitted students day last week it was mentioned that law students would be able to take classes outside of the law school. I think Dean Smith said that students would be able to take foreign language classes and business classes. Are there any restrictions or additional costs?

Thanks!
I don't know all the details, but I'll try to help with what I do know. You can take pretty much any other class within the university. The only things to really note are:

1) If you want to take the class for law school credit, it needs to be a class that gives graduate credit - so, some 400-levels, and above. You have to get pre-approval any time you do this.
2) Unless you do a joint degree, you can only take 6 credits outside the law school.
3) If you want to take other courses, such as undergraduate courses, you'll have to audit them (you can audit graduate courses too, if you would go over the 6 credits). I'm not sure if you have to get pre-approval for this or not.
4) On that note, if there are courses within the law school that you want to take, but you can't fit them into the max credit hours (you can get an overload, up to a point), you can audit law courses, too.

I'm sure Dean Pless will correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I remember hearing.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:19 am

Nancy is always right.

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:56 am

Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes. 9 Admits, 44 Offers to the Wait List and 284 Denys. Sorry. It is very late in the cycle and with our seat deposit coming up on the 29th we are very much in a wait and see mode right now. Happy to answer any questions that anyone has. Good luck.
Paul

oldtimer

New

Post by oldtimer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 am

Pless wrote:Decisions will be coming out in a few minutes. 9 Admits, 44 Offers to the Wait List and 284 Denys. Sorry. It is very late in the cycle and with our seat deposit coming up on the 29th we are very much in a wait and see mode right now. Happy to answer any questions that anyone has. Good luck.
Paul
Wow, I was initially disappointed, but now I feel lucky to have at least made the wait list!

(there's still a twinkling of hope) :wink:

I know it's probably too early to say, but historically speaking, can you offer any ballpark estimate on the typical length of time someone remains on the wait list?

Thanks,
Shannon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:38 am

oldtimer wrote: Wow, I was initially disappointed, but now I feel lucky to have at least made the wait list!

I know it's probably too early to say, but historically speaking, can you offer any ballpark estimate on the typical length of time someone remains on the wait list?

Thanks,
Shannon.
I expect that if we have wait list activity this year it will be right around the end of April and Early May. As we approach our first seat deposit we start to get a lot of certainty in the shape and size of the class. I will send out regular updates to everyone that opts on to our wait list and I am always available to answer any questions you might have about Illinois or our process.

oldtimer

New

Post by oldtimer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:26 am

Pless wrote:
oldtimer wrote: Wow, I was initially disappointed, but now I feel lucky to have at least made the wait list!

Thanks,
Shannon.
I expect that if we have wait list activity this year it will be right around the end of April and Early May. As we approach our first seat deposit we start to get a lot of certainty in the shape and size of the class. I will send out regular updates to everyone that opts on to our wait list and I am always available to answer any questions you might have about Illinois or our process.

Not bad at all.
It still means a potential lost seat deposit, but still provides plenty of time to make arrangements before the start of the term.

Thanks for the info.
Shannon

LaLeyDelMonte

New

Post by LaLeyDelMonte » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 am

Dean Pless,

Do you have a break schedule for fall semester?

purplebulldogs

New

Post by purplebulldogs » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 pm

LaLeyDelMonte wrote:Dean Pless,

Do you have a break schedule for fall semester?
http://www.law.illinois.edu/academic-calendar

Fall 2011

Aug 22: First Day of Instruction
Sept 5: Labor Day- No Class
Nov 19: Start of Thanksgiving Break
Nov 27: End of Thanksgiving Break
Dec 5: Last Day of Instruction
Dec 6: Reading Day
Dec 7: Final Exams Begin
Dec 15: Final Exams End

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Pless wrote:
JakeL wrote:After applying, is there anything applicants can/should do to increase their chances of admittance? How about once being waitlisted?
There isn't much to do once you apply. If you do end up on the wait list a letter of continued interest is always a good idea, some schools require it. Also, a visit is a great way to show that you are really interested in attending. That isn't always possible, I understand.
Dean Pless,

Thank you for all that you do for the applicants and the entire TLS community.

I am not an applicant to Illinois but I'm sure you can help me with my question. I am currently wait listed listed at my top pick, I am planning a campus visit. How can I express my interests in the school during my visit without seeming overly desperate and annoying.

Thanks!

Pless

Silver

Post by Pless » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:14 am

IHaveLawyers wrote: Dean Pless,

Thank you for all that you do for the applicants and the entire TLS community.

I am not an applicant to Illinois but I'm sure you can help me with my question. I am currently wait listed listed at my top pick, I am planning a campus visit. How can I express my interests in the school during my visit without seeming overly desperate and annoying.

Thanks!
Ask good questions, not basic things you can find on their websites. Be nice to everyone, you never know who is going to comment on your visit to the admissions people, and you want anything that is reported back to be positive. When WL'd applicants talk to me, I tell them to treat it like they are admitted and ask all of the questions that they would normally have, because if they do get a call, they may only have a few days to make the decision. Be professional. The last thing a school wants is to admit someone who may be high-maintenance from their Wait List (enough sneak in already :))

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:19 am

Dean Pless,

When looking at applications do you give any consideration to a fairly large disparity between the LSAC calculated GPA and the students actual college GPA? For instance, a 2.6 LSAC and a 3.3 GPA from the University?

Thanks!

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 am

Dean Pless,

I have read on TLS that various law schools have ways of communicating with each when an applicant has paid a deposit at a given school. Could you please comment on the extent to which Illinois shares this information with other schools, and the extent to which it solicits this information from other schools?

Thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”